Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Got a mystery fish for y'all. Slow, skittish mover at a Taipei aquarium store.

It had some clear blistery bulges in the front of its face and five lines of lateral spines. The pattern makes it look like its scales are massive but they're not that big. About six inches long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Looks like a pineapple fish to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapplefish

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
Jeez, what was the price?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+46+368&pcatid=368

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't teribly familiar with New Taiwanese dollars but I remember thinking it was really, really high.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Eifert Posting posted:

I wasn't teribly familiar with New Taiwanese dollars but I remember thinking it was really, really high.

I guess it must be because they're a deeper water fish and consequently harder to collect.

On a similar note, my LFS occasionally carries Weedy Scorpionfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weedy_scorpionfish) at the $800 price mark.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So my BTA decided it didn't like where it was and went for a walk it ended up parking directly under my slimer colony, and directly on top of my sunset monti colony.

I forgot about the monti because it was covering it completely, and I was worried about the slimer. So this morning it had moved back to it's old location, and there's the monti. The entire colony, 4 years worth of encrusted growth is ghost white, and filled with tiny empty polyp holes :( I'm pretty upset about it, do you think there's any chance it will re-grow if there's any tissue left at all?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So I've been lurking this thread for a while, but now I might have the chance to finally set up a tank.

Basically this is going to be in an office setting, so lower maintenance and hardier creatures would be better. Also I like cheap, but that's somewhat less important.
Any advice? This would be my first salt tank.

I haven't really done a ton of research yet, because I might get shot down. Probably going to be limited to like 30 gallons with no refugium.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Castaign posted:

I guess it must be because they're a deeper water fish and consequently harder to collect.

What's involved in keeping fish from higher pressure environments? Is it just a matter of acclimation and low light? Or some other aquarium wizardry? I dont know much about their care other then "vent the body cavity when you violently drag them to the surface so they don't explode/die horribly of barotrauma".

(the validity of venting as a way to prevent barotrauma and assure a live fish return is currently in question)

Here, an informational video on venting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejtc1RTqk8s

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 6, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So burping a fish is a thing. Learn something new every day!

My monti isn't dead, just horrendously bleached. I did a broadcast feeding of restor fortified phyto, gunna keep it semi shaded and see what happens I suppose.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

What's involved in keeping fish from higher pressure environments? Is it just a matter of acclimation and low light? Or some other aquarium wizardry? I dont know much about their care other then "vent the body cavity when you violently drag them to the surface so they don't explode/die horribly of barotrauma".

(the validity of venting as a way to prevent barotrauma and assure a live fish return is currently in question)

Here, an informational video on venting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejtc1RTqk8s

With many aquarium fish I don't think it's so much a matter of substantially different husbandry, but rather a matter of difficulty of collection. There seem to be a fair number of fish that normally inhabit depths of 50 feet or greater that do fine in aquariums (anthias for example), but the fact that they tend to inhabit deeper waters makes them more difficult to collect and consequently more expensive.

The flip side can be seen with, for example, astrea snails. These are a super common CuC member and very inexpensive, but they are actually poorly suited to the aquarium trade. Their prevalence is the result of the ease of collection since they inhabit very shallow waters.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

So burping a fish is a thing. Learn something new every day!

Less burping and more performing a tracheotomy through the armpit.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Eifert Posting posted:

Less burping and more performing a tracheotomy through the armpit.

Yeah don't burp babies with a venting tool. You'll probably go to jail.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I get that it's not an especially exciting coral, but a giant display of pulsing Xenia is what finally made me get a saltwater tank. I put some in a couple days ago and I can't stop watching it. Can't wait for it to take over my tank and become a giant mess.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slugworth posted:

I get that it's not an especially exciting coral, but a giant display of pulsing Xenia is what finally made me get a saltwater tank. I put some in a couple days ago and I can't stop watching it. Can't wait for it to take over my tank and become a giant mess.

Quoting this for posterity.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Anyone know where or how to get seagrass? Every forums I found with people talking about it was from like 5 years ago and it's a list of dead links.

Had one place that I found that actually still ships, but they're out of stock. Is it safe to assume that it just comes into stock seasonally?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's seasonal, and depending on what kind of seagrass you might be able to find it available on LA-DD or Reefcleaners.org.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Thanks. What's LA-DD?
Anyone have opinions about Gulf Coast Ecosystems (live-plants.com)? Those are like the only two I was able to see that still have any form of seagrass.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
LA-DD = Live Aquaria Diver's Den section.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Dear snails, I understand your natural environment affords fewer opportunities to fall from tall heights, but I feel it's a bit ridiculous how often I need to roll you over because you are unable to right yourself.

Get it together.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What kind of idiot snail cant right itself?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Almost all of them except nassarius vibex I think.

We had snails that liked to crawl out and die in hard to find places stinking up the living room. One crawled out, down the back wall, onto the underside of the tank (skeleton stand) and died while stuck to the bottom glass. Took me 2 weeks to find the stink source.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

SaNChEzZ posted:

Almost all of them except nassarius vibex I think.

We had snails that liked to crawl out and die in hard to find places stinking up the living room. One crawled out, down the back wall, onto the underside of the tank (skeleton stand) and died while stuck to the bottom glass. Took me 2 weeks to find the stink source.

Sounds like some keyhole limpets I bought; my husband and I ended up calling them suicide snails as they all climbed up to the highest piece of rock in the tank and fell off while eating algae where they all ended up on the tank bottom and promptly got eaten by the crabs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I am feeding my tank with phytofeast, about 1.5 ml a week. The smallest bottle of phytofeast is like 170ml, shelf life of about 3 months.

Is there a smarter way for me to be feeding a 29g coral only tank that doesn't involve throwing away a bottle of food that is 80% full?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slugworth posted:

I am feeding my tank with phytofeast, about 1.5 ml a week. The smallest bottle of phytofeast is like 170ml, shelf life of about 3 months.

Is there a smarter way for me to be feeding a 29g coral only tank that doesn't involve throwing away a bottle of food that is 80% full?

Are you supplementing or feeding NPS? I'd say just ditch the food and keep the parameters in check if its regular corals.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

Are you supplementing or feeding NPS? I'd say just ditch the food and keep the parameters in check if its regular corals.
Supplementing primarily photosynthetic corals. I have a torch and some mushrooms that my reading suggests benefit from occasional feeding.

This is the first I have heard of just going foodless - Am I overestimating the benefit that PS corals get from feeding?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Supplementing primarily photosynthetic corals. I have a torch and some mushrooms that my reading suggests benefit from occasional feeding.

This is the first I have heard of just going foodless - Am I overestimating the benefit that PS corals get from feeding?

Probably. The only time I ever broadcast feed is when the anemone moves and bleaches something. They may benefit from it slightly but if you're not feeding fish I'd say there's no real reason to broadcast feed as its just adding unnecessary nitrate to the system. If you want to feed the euph. I'd just give it some mysis or something once every couple weeks personally. As there's no fish to steal the food it wouldn't be hard to make sure they're eating.

Or if you do have fish, perhaps a smaller bottle of phytochrom from kent marine would do the trick?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Not aquarium related directly but on vacation I had a fun encounter with a humu trigger while snorkeling. It's always been my favorite saltwater fish so when I found one I was following him trying to get a picture. He started charging me. He would pin his fins back and swim at me at full speed, stopping a foot from my mask, and then just stared me down. :3: After doing this a couple times I swam away. He chased me! Such cool fish.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
My coolest snorkeling encounter was with a cuttlefish in the virgin islands. It is so awesome just to watch them swim around. Man, to have a habitat one of those could live in...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

Probably. The only time I ever broadcast feed is when the anemone moves and bleaches something. They may benefit from it slightly but if you're not feeding fish I'd say there's no real reason to broadcast feed as its just adding unnecessary nitrate to the system. If you want to feed the euph. I'd just give it some mysis or something once every couple weeks personally. As there's no fish to steal the food it wouldn't be hard to make sure they're eating.

Or if you do have fish, perhaps a smaller bottle of phytochrom from kent marine would do the trick?
The mysis sounds like a good idea, thanks. The more I read though, the more I think I may just not feed.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 16, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slugworth posted:

The mysis sounds like a good idea, thanks. The more I read though, the more I think I may just not feed.

Yeah, if you don't have any fish, there's no reason to really, assuming your lights/parameters are in check.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
If you have a good fish bioload balance the pods that live off the nutrient cycle should be more than enough for your normal filter feeders. NPS corals need additional attention, it is true, but you should pretty much never broadcast feed corals otherwise.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

api call girl posted:

If you have a good fish bioload balance the pods that live off the nutrient cycle should be more than enough for your normal filter feeders. NPS corals need additional attention, it is true, but you should pretty much never broadcast feed corals otherwise.
Ok, so they *will* eat pods. It seemed obvious they would, but Google just kept bringing up results of people claiming pods were eating their corals.

That's a plus, because I have a pretty booming pod population. Unnervingly booming, but parameters are all in line, so oh well.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Caveat: small free-swimming pods. Most of your corals aren't going to eat amphipods.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Any opinions or general recommendations for reverse osmosis?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I bought mine from Bulk Reef Supply and its been working out great. I have this 4 Stage, 75 gallon per day version:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

The media refills through BRS are pretty cheap but I like this one from Marine Depot:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ratingItem.aspx?idProduct=RO2113

I think you can find it elsewhere. There are tons of choices for this stuff but you don't need to spend too much to get a pretty nice setup. Also, depending on the size of your tank and how much water you need to make, I'd go ahead and get a nice trash can, either like a 20 gallon or 50 gallon Brute. If you have the extra bucks, get the float valve setup that shuts the RO/DI off after it reaches a certain level. Many a gallon has been wasted letting it run too long.

visuvius fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 24, 2014

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
gently caress sorry.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

gently caress sorry.

What happened...

Anyway, BRS is good, as is AirWaterIce. I've got their typhoon 5 stage and it's awesome, in the 100gpd version.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Is it really necessary to get the DI stage? I had heard some bullshit somewhere where you can get away with jus RO unless you have something particularly sensitive.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Is it really necessary to get the DI stage? I had heard some bullshit somewhere where you can get away with jus RO unless you have something particularly sensitive.

The DI carts last a long time and are a low cost insurance plan, I'd do it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
They last a long time if you have good water. My city water is hard as gently caress and has so much poo poo in it that it's GREAT for houseplants--but it chews through filters and membranes and DI resin like crazy. We put in a whole house water softener and now the RO/DI media just lasts forever.

A good RO system with good water source will give you great TDI output, and then you probably don't need DI.

I use and recommend this one: https://filterdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=30

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 25, 2014

• Locked thread