Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

Almost positive that the pod based deckbuilding ended this game.

Ended? Have they confirmed nothing else is coming past the upcoming cycle? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

jivjov posted:

Ended? Have they confirmed nothing else is coming past the upcoming cycle? :(

Not my business if they want to keep treating a dead patient.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

Not my business if they want to keep treating a dead patient.

Ah, so you're speculating then. Don't scare me like that!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Bunch of new posts in the Star Wars thread! Yah!

...Oh, it's all about how the game is dying/dead.

I wish FFG would step it up on their releases; this drought of no new cards is killing the interest level.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Hey, I wanted this game to work. I have two core sets sitting under my computer desk right now. But it's just dead - everyone I've tried to talk into it, or even gotten to play a match against, finds it shallow mechanically. They might get curious about designing decks, except that the deckbuilding system is even more shallow mechanically. So I've never gotten anyone here to play a second game. Ever.

Whereas we get a dozen or more people in on weekly Netrunner night, and 40+ turnout for tournaments.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PaybackJack posted:

Bunch of new posts in the Star Wars thread! Yah!

...Oh, it's all about how the game is dying/dead.

I wish FFG would step it up on their releases; this drought of no new cards is killing the interest level.

The first pack of the newest cycle is officially shipping, and there's a couple people over on FFG's forums that have found it in the wild, so it's here!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Corbeau posted:

But it's just dead - everyone I've tried to talk into it, or even gotten to play a match against, finds it shallow mechanically.

This seems crazy to me. I've seen so many awesome card interactions with SWLCG that would never happen in Netrunner. I'll admit I have not played nearly as much Netrunner, but it seems like a game where good math wins (ie playing your own game), where Star Wars requires every card on the board to win. ANR is a great game but calling SWLCG shallow because the deckbuilding makes you play Tauntauns is a bit silly. Also yeah just playing with the core sets will be boring as heck.

Anyway I'll learn OCTGN and run a goonleague if anyone is interested :unsmith:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I find the game to be very deep and it has lots of different things you need to keep in mind. Building decks is challanging and fun because of the pod system, having more limitations and "fewer" choices leads to something much more interesting. Still the game suffers from the small card pool but it's only just started. The next cycle looks like it will focus on making Balance of the Force much more important than it already is, I'm really looking forward to it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

zokie posted:

I find the game to be very deep and it has lots of different things you need to keep in mind. Building decks is challanging and fun because of the pod system, having more limitations and "fewer" choices leads to something much more interesting. Still the game suffers from the small card pool but it's only just started. The next cycle looks like it will focus on making Balance of the Force much more important than it already is, I'm really looking forward to it.

They layed groundwork for a lot of content like this where now we're seeing a focus on the Balance; last arc was a focus on the Hoth objectives themselves. In the future I'd like to see the Edge battle also get an arc where everything that's anything does cool poo poo with the Edge; I could see Scum and Villainy having cards that do amazing things when they don't have the edge. There's a lot of areas they can expand into without having to go into "tribes" territory, but that's an option as well. The objectives really open up a lot of options as well, since you have three "starting effects" every game; they could really play with that as well.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Decks basically have 10 card choices. That decks consist of little more than 4-6 'cards' hurts with such a small pool and you end up with a very claustrophobic game. It doesn't help that 1 faction is still very weak (S&V) and another has one relevant tribe (Rebel Speeders).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think the deckbuilding is silmutaniously less and more complicated due to the pods. You only end up choosing 10 things to go into a deck, but since each of those things is composed of 1 objective and 5 other cards, there's the issue of "Oh, I'd really like this card, but these other 2 might end up being dead weight and don't have good Edge support". I think pod-based building makes you a little more aware of how certain groups of cards are going to interact.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Unless you play a one per deck pod you basically make 5 very hard choices. And there is so much to keep in mind. Well I be able to take the force? Am I going to win any edge battles? How about resources or do I even have enough blast icons (to win as light or finish the game earlier as dark)? Can I deal with any of the common decks? Etc etc...

My favorite deck right now is:
2 Deploy the Fleet
2 Death and Despayre
1 Imperial Blockade
1 Tatooine Crash
1 Repair and Refurbish
1 Imperial Command
1 Unstoppable Advance
1 Sabotage in the Snow

It's really fun, and those jawas and the twist that comes with them are mvps 9 games out of 10. When I face any vehicle deck I usually finish them round three getting an extra dial tick from Devestator, keeping the balance should be no problem:-)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I can't wait for more cards come out that play well with Across the Jundland Wastes. I want some TIE heavy Navy ones that focus on anti-vehicle stuff. I do like it now with Jabba but he's just so drat expensive.

I built a fun deck the other week that used Executor, Viper Probe Droid and The Killing Cold. It was a slow combo to set up and you had to hit the Killing Cold which makes it difficult but once you had it you couldn't lose. I threw in Cruel Interrogations for more control and everything else was Hoth. It was pretty wacky, but I love how combo-rific the Executor is.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 30, 2014

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think that the pod system gives less choice, but makes more choices meaningful. However I do believe that with that in mind, they really needed to get new sets out sooner so it would actually feel like there's more choice. Even though the starter had like 36 or whatever pods, that's being divided between two mutually exclusive sides, with 2 main and one partial (which has since been expanded, but still) faction per side. So even though each choice is meaningful, you only start with a pool of 18 or so to choose from (and in actual play it's going to be more limited since you'll likely not be doing a total mix of factions). The first cycle added some nice stuff, but still only about 12(?) more options per side. Then it was the deluxe expansion and then...nothing.

And as for it being shallow, I'm not entirely sure the comparison is fair but it always seems to come up-Netrunner has gameplay that's way more shallow and bland than Star Wars by a mile. The best thing it has going is the art (which is amazing and most of the reason I started playing). I know it's popular in other places but it's really died a lot around here. Of course, SW never got much off the ground :(. Which is unfortunate, since I think it's mechanically the better game, but it just never seemed to get much going.

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008
So I just picked up a cheap copy of this game to play casually with my less serious game friends. Is there a recommended purchase order for the add-on packs, and what should I buy for organizing/protecting the stuff?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

MagusProject posted:

So I just picked up a cheap copy of this game to play casually with my less serious game friends. Is there a recommended purchase order for the add-on packs, and what should I buy for organizing/protecting the stuff?

Get the deluxe expansion "Edge of Darkness" first. Then I'd say get the second deluxe expansion. Since you're just playing casually the 3v1/2v1 decks in the second expansion are good for casual play, particularly if one person is a much better player than the others.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

MagusProject posted:

For organizing, I have two binders (light side and dark side) then divided by faction. The very first page is my commit to the force and faction id cards.

Each page is either 2 copies or 1 copy of the pod depending on if its a one off or not.

The first copy of the pod is laid put in the top two rows in order and the second copy are doubled up into the bottom row, also in order.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have 2 ProBinders, with everything just in Objective Set Number order.

6 slots across, one objective set a row. Doubling up each sleeve, when applicable.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Carteret posted:

I have 2 ProBinders, with everything just in Objective Set Number order.

6 slots across, one objective set a row. Doubling up each sleeve, when applicable.

This is also how I do it. I find that it really helps with looking at cards as a pod, since you have to deckbuild that way anyway.

edit: I don't have probinders, just a big regular one, but the same principle applies. When I go to the store I just take my LS/DS decks in one of those ultra-pro dual deck boxes. http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Black-Dual-Deck/dp/B00AF7P67A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1396806991&sr=8-5&keywords=ultra+pro+deck+box

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 6, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I got those pages this week to put in my 3 ring binders. They are really good for looking at pods, and my cards don't fall out.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
As I do my deckbuilding online, I like to have each objective set in a single pocket of my binder, sorted by number. Makes it easier to find everything.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I have everything sleeved. I use some of the FF Star Wars sleeves for objective backs, and just KMC (I think) white/black for the cards in the pod. Then everything is in number order in long boxes. The FF sleves are slightly bigger so you can tell right where the pods end and just pull them out when needed.

I tried binders, but it was much more annoying for deckbuilding. You don't get to see every card like you would in a binder, but building decks is typically easier online anyways. It's also a lot better for storing. Also with how few cards they've released the cost for sleeves hasn't been too bad.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

That heat shield

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I've been playing a bit with the Core Set and am wondering if it's just me, or is drawing two defensive protocols just super strong?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alg posted:

That heat shield

I am really liking the Rebel stuff that we've seen from this cycle. Forward Reconnaissance is a really interesting objective set. This one is also very cool, the only downside being that I don't see Sith relying on a lot of Fate cards so it doesn't do much for the meta there.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Got the new cards today, just in time to drop Dash Rendar into my Sleuth Scouts deck for a saturday Store Chamionship. Can't wait to destroy some unsuspecting Sith shitbird :smuggo:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Got the new cards today, just in time to drop Dash Rendar into my Sleuth Scouts deck for a saturday Store Chamionship. Can't wait to destroy some unsuspecting Sith shitbird :smuggo:

awww yeeeeah. What else is good in there that hasn't been spoiled elsewhere? My cards are sitting in pre-order status waiting for Honor & Profit to arrive.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alg posted:

Just hope he's not the new Sith objective, Force Storm or whatever it's called that does 2 damage to everything not committed to the force is retardedly good and makes running Trust Me out of Smugglers and Spies almost mandatory.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Carteret posted:

awww yeeeeah. What else is good in there that hasn't been spoiled elsewhere? My cards are sitting in pre-order status waiting for Honor & Profit to arrive.

Zuckuss & 4-LOM are kind of neat but still obviously focused around capture. I think everything else has been spoiled.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Woo, Victory-class Star Destroyers. These are going right in my Capital Ship deck.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Picked up my copy of Lure of the Dark Side today, and I'm of two minds. I'm loving some of the new effects, like the Commando Operations pod screwing with Fate card usage, and Against All Odds having a lot of effects based on hand size...but I was really hoping this cycle would have something like the Hoth cycle's metamechanic of so many things hinging on a Hoth tag.

That said, this pack was worth it alone for the Victory or Death pod. My favorite decks are Imperial Navy decks full of capital ships (Much like Taran_Wanderer above) so I'm pretty happy with this pod.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Won a game at another Store Championship by winning an edge battle, sending 4 Jawas back to their hand, then striking with Dash Rendar :smuggo:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

jivjov posted:

Picked up my copy of Lure of the Dark Side today, and I'm of two minds. I'm loving some of the new effects, like the Commando Operations pod screwing with Fate card usage, and Against All Odds having a lot of effects based on hand size...but I was really hoping this cycle would have something like the Hoth cycle's metamechanic of so many things hinging on a Hoth tag.

That said, this pack was worth it alone for the Victory or Death pod. My favorite decks are Imperial Navy decks full of capital ships (Much like Taran_Wanderer above) so I'm pretty happy with this pod.

I'm glad it doesn't do this. This makes deckbuilding a lot more interesting because the format is already limited to forcing you into "Hoth" decks was kind of annoying, it was usually difficult to splash those objective sets along with Non-Hoth objective sets.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I'm happy that they're continuing to release some Hoth cards, at least. Now I'm just waiting for them to put some more Black Squadron stuff out. Hopefully the set that contains this Precision Flying card has some more TIE Fighter stuff, at least.

As for Capital Ships, I think I'll go for:

2x Endor Gambit
2x Deploy the Fleet
2x Unstoppable Advance
1x Endless Reserves
1x Imperial Blockade
2x Victory or Death

I'm half tempted to take out Unstoppable Advance for Carbonite Trasport and its Tractor Beams, but AT-AT's and the Orbital Resupply Station are so good. If I get one of those new alt-art Tarkin's, The Ultimate Power is going in here no question.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suwPzOSqYCw

FFG is printing some insane cardes. Unfortunately Jedi only :/

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suwPzOSqYCw

FFG is printing some insane cardes. Unfortunately Jedi only :/

That's great! More incentive not to play Smugglers and Spies. I hope they do this with Dark Side, I'm still not feeling the Scum and Villainy stuff, I hope they can get some really strong cards.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Scum is slowly shaping up. When they get IG-88 in the 4th or 5th pack (?), that should help a lot.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

New K+D spoilers. Scum are at the bottom.

http://imgur.com/a/2RIMi

I am not sure how I feel about it, as of yet Scum doesn't really have a way to reliably keep the force. Maybe after IG-88's pod is out, that will be more likely.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

So apparently cards are captured facedown, that's good to know. I wonder if they should be indistinguishable from each other if you have multiples. I should probably get around to reading the FAQ for this game.

I like the Rebel and Smugglers objectives as well.

Just realized we're still missing a couple Sith cards. However so far that set doesn't look so great although Deadly Sight is pretty strong against Sleuth Scouts but overall I don't think it will be better than the first Sith one.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

The Scum objective is interesting. I think it's good, but you definitely would need to back it up with other sets that support winning the Force struggle (which Scum obviously hasn't been great at so far). In theory, it could be initially playable alongside The Findsman's Intuition, but in practice it may indeed end up taking the Droid's Task (the IG-88 objective) to make it work. Said objective is in the second to last pack of the cycle, I think :(

In terms of the next Scum set, what is people's interpretation of how Relentless Pursuit works? Which is to say, can you capture different versions of the same unit (Lukes, Hans, etc.)? My off the cuff impression is yes, but I'm not sure.

Amante fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 3, 2014

• Locked thread