Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

a life less posted:

Costco has memory foam bath mats that fit a large crate really nicely...

Are those easy to clean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Don't know! I just had a friend tell me about them.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona doesn't have accidents often, but after the second time we had to throw out a bed, we just started using piles of fleece blanket in her crate. We can just hose those off and then throw them in the wash. An actual bed might be nice, since she moves the blankets around alot.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'd have to figure out the dimensions, clean up, etc. The nice thing about the foam dog bed was it had a zip-off cover for easy washing, and we were able to cut it down to fit and then fold the excess cover fabric under.

I have two regular squishy dog beds in the basement that I can bring up for lounging around the house on. When Husker died there were several relatively new beds in the house and my friends only took a couple off my hands. It's just for the car that I'm not sure what I want to do.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

So I know it's just barely spring and we had an unusually cold winter here, but Rory doesn't seem to shed. Like, at all. Her coat is very soft and silky and since she didn't race for very long, it was in good condition pretty much right off the bat. When is high shedding season for greyhounds? Will I get a fursplosion later this summer?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Once it starts getting warmer, we comb out loose hair from Mona's coat. There's a surprising amount of fur that comes out for a week or two, then it stops. I suppose it'd shed out if we didn't comb it, but it's pretty manageable.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I just got an email this morning that they've made our match and are getting ready to set a pick-up date :3:

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

RazorBunny posted:

I just got an email this morning that they've made our match and are getting ready to set a pick-up date :3:

That's fantastic. Can't wait to see pictures when everyone is settled in!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Yay! Know any details about her?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

a life less posted:

Yay! Know any details about her?

This is her profile on TrackInfo. We're supposed to get a picture soon.

This is her daddy, Kiowa Sweet Trey:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

Wow. You can watch loads of races on there.

She's the smudge in the black/red here, I think!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Question about my car harness (it's mentioned a few posts back). So I have a wagon, but due to the curvature I keep Abby in the backseat so I can see out of the back windows when driving. Right now I buckle one of the seatbelts, then attach the strap to it (that strap then hooks onto the harness). Unfortunately she always stands up since she likes to look out the window. I had to brake quite quickly last time we were in the car, and she was sort of flung forward. She wasn't hurt at all as the harness prevented her from falling behind the front seats, but I really need something with less leeway. What I do have is a few places where I could attach the strap behind the headrests of the backseats. Is that a better option? It wouldn't have any give if the car takes any sudden turns/brakes, unlike the seatbelt.

The metal clips are similar to the ones in this picture, one behind each of the three headrests.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 25, 2014

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Aren't those clips for child seats? Which would suggest they're robust for dogs too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Aren't those clips for child seats? Which would suggest they're robust for dogs too.

I assume so, though I'll check my owner's manual. I feel like my current setup would be fine if she laid down, but this is probably safer for standing up (she really won't be able to lay down anyway if I use one of those clips).

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

a life less posted:

Wow. You can watch loads of races on there.

She's the smudge in the black/red here, I think!

Yeah, there are lots of videos. They won't work on my laptop, though - I can't get the Chrome extension to work :( My husband watched a few on his machine.

Fuzz Feets, did you also get an email from Angela?

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

We also heard from the rescue on our match. His name is Mulberry Adam. His data page is here; http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=Mulberry+Adam&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

They will let us know soon on when we can bring him home. Now to go buy lots of stuff. This will be one spoiled doggie!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I traced mine all the way back to Pilot, 1820 :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

RazorBunny posted:

Hey our dogs have the same dad!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

Hey our dogs have the same dad!

haha what are the chances???

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

actionjackson posted:

haha what are the chances???

Pretty high actually 'cuz he's fathered literally like 13000 pups. I have his son too.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Pretty high actually 'cuz he's fathered literally like 13000 pups. I have his son too.

Pretty much, but Razor Bunny and I also know each other through even more unusual circumstances that make it even more remarkable. :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fuzz Feets' pooch has him as a grandsire, too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Yes that was the joke :p

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Creepy. He died in 2009. My dog was born in 2012. I'm sure even when he was alive there was some serious AI going on, but drat.

Still pimpin' from beyond the grave. :ghost:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Got this picture from the rescue today:

:3:

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 26, 2014

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Our rescue agency just placed our match. This is Jake, we pick him up on Friday. Which right now is less than two days!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
On behalf of Fuzz Feets, here's our match: Mulberry Adam.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I like his little white toes :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

pastor of muppets posted:

Speaking of collars, is anyone interested in the Pikachu/Totoro collar I posted a few pages back? I bought it for the black female we were supposed to get that didn't end up working out, and it doesn't really look good on Rory. I asked Khelmar if it was okay to offer it up in this thread. I paid $25 for it on Etsy, but I'm just trying to give it away for free. I'm sure it will look better on someone else's hound than sitting in a drawer in my kitchen. It's a really well made 2-inch wide martingale collar, size M (fits a 13-17 inch neck). If anyone wants it, PM me!

TY pastor :h:

Tortolia posted:

On behalf of Fuzz Feets, here's our match: Mulberry Adam.

dat lil face :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

What's everybody feeding?

I'm probably going to go for one of the Merrick grain free formulas, although I haven't decided which protein. Husker ate Wellness CORE for a couple of years and I thought it was fine, but when I changed his food to try and keep his appetite up near the end I found that the Merrick reduced the frequency of the room-clearing farts. It was also a little bit cheaper. Of course each dog responds differently to foods, so we'll see.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Costco brand. Merrick made my dog farty as hell and it's ridiculously expensive.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Patch gets Costco dog food as well and it seems to agree with his digestive system quite well.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I had the opposite experience. Mine eats Holistic Select (blah blah whatever). I tried him on a Costco food that sounded basically similar for a month and it was a disaster. Farty all the time, giant mushy shits, gah.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Galler posted:

Patch gets Costco dog food as well and it seems to agree with his digestive system quite well.

Third nod for Costco brand, Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain both of mine love it.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Fraction posted:

TY pastor :h:

Yay! I'm glad you like it!

I feed the dog and the two cats Avoderm. It allegedly cuts down on dander and supports healthy hair and skin. I don't really know if it makes more of a difference than any other good food, but it's fairly inexpensive for a premium brand and they all seem to like it. v:shobon:v

Jersey
Mar 26, 2014
Just jumping in here! I have a Spanish Greyhound....or Galgo. Instead of being a retired racer, she's a retired hunter, and although her history is unknown, its clear it wasn't a good one because she's very timid and fearful and afraid of men, but she has come out of her shell each day which is incredibly rewarding.
I've also had 3 racing greyhounds growing up and my parent's still have the last one.

Here's a picture :)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

What's everybody feeding?

I'm probably going to go for one of the Merrick grain free formulas, although I haven't decided which protein. Husker ate Wellness CORE for a couple of years and I thought it was fine, but when I changed his food to try and keep his appetite up near the end I found that the Merrick reduced the frequency of the room-clearing farts. It was also a little bit cheaper. Of course each dog responds differently to foods, so we'll see.

TOTW Salmon flavor

Jersey
Mar 26, 2014

actionjackson posted:

TOTW Salmon flavor

us too! worked wonders. right away better poo and better skin.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

We've gone blue buffalo lamb and rice. Been pretty happy with the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gninjagnome posted:

We've gone blue buffalo lamb and rice. Been pretty happy with the results.

I used that initially, but Abby has a grain issue. Or maybe it's just gluten, not sure.