Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Popo posted:

No need to take the piss, mate.

I dont want to take your piss anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Ah what the hell, that was really entertaining.

A giant Tardigrade is the ultimate wrestling opponent.

edit: Necta'

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
That ended soon enough. I don't think I can take a manga about a man who guzzles the pee of children every few chapters. WTF Miura?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Came across this really cool rendition of one of the early Berserk pages, done as a digital painting. Looks amazing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ahhh, live giving Necta'. Water of the Gods. Delos can now feel strength and renewal flowing through him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Delos' distant ancestor was Bear Grylls.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Ccs posted:

Came across this really cool rendition of one of the early Berserk pages, done as a digital painting. Looks amazing.

Would love to see one of Void.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
My optimism that this manga would ever be finished has rapidly faded over the years

:negative:

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Zorak posted:

My optimism that this manga would ever be finished has rapidly faded over the years

:negative:

HBO should pick it up and finish it for Miura. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Zorak posted:

I was going to ask if it's really "rapid" if it took years, but then...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sindai posted:

I was going to ask if it's really "rapid" if it took years, but then...

I am inherently a very optimistic person.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Miura probably has 20 years left at least. It could still happen.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Ccs posted:

Miura probably has 20 years left at least. It could still happen.

The scare with Stephen King almost getting killed by a car before he could finish the Dark Tower series has made me jumpy about assuming that an author has plenty of time to wrap things up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cafel posted:

The scare with Stephen King almost getting killed by a car before he could finish the Dark Tower series has made me jumpy about assuming that an author has plenty of time to wrap things up.

Remember Robert Jordan? Maybe Miura should make sure a replacement is avaiable. Just in case.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

cafel posted:

Makes you wonder what Berserk's legacy would be like if it were never finished. There's certainly enough there right now for people to endlessly speculate about things (To say nothing about making a TV series and movies about just a part of it) but..

On the OTHER hand,

Dark Tower "spoilers," I've never read them but I've read about them, rot13 encoded because not Berserk
http://www.rot13.com
Gur jnl gung raqrq, jvgu rira gur nhgube fnlvat "Hu lbh zvtug jnag gb whfg fgbc gur obbx urer, lbh'yy or zhpu unccvre," vg znxrf lbh jbaqre. Jbhyq jr ernyyl or unccvre vs Orefrex unq na raqvat yvxr gung? Pbhyq gung or jurer vg raqf hc tbvat? Abgr gung V nz abg va nal jnl fnlvat vg jbhyq orggre vs Zvhen qvrq/fgbccrq, V'z whfg cbfvat n dhrfgvba.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think you understand the concept of spoiler tags.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't think you understand the concept of spoiler tags.

You've never come across a spoiler tag, automatically assumed it was about the topic at hand and then ohhhhh ffffff-
?
*edit*
Well I have. I've also come across unmarked spoilers to series not directly related to the topic at hand. I don't want to do that to others.

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 31, 2014

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Zogundar posted:

You've never come across a spoiler tag, automatically assumed it was about the topic at hand and then ohhhhh ffffff-
?

No, if I see a spoiler tag, I read the preceding sentence for the context. And I've certainly never cared enough about a spoiler to decode it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Zogundar posted:

Gur jnl gung raqrq, jvgu rira gur nhgube fnlvat "Hu lbh zvtug jnag gb whfg fgbc gur obbx urer, lbh'yy or zhpu unccvre," vg znxrf lbh jbaqre. Jbhyq jr ernyyl or unccvre vs Orefrex unq nraqvat yvxr gung? Pbhyq gung or jurer vg raqf hc tbvat? Abgr gung V nz abg va nal jnl fnlvat vg jbhyq orggre vs Zvhen qvrq/fgbccrq, V'z whfg cbfvat n dhrfgvba.

Drink... your... Ovaltine?

The gently caress kinda secret code is this!?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

cafel posted:

To be fair that would've been better than the last couple Dark Tower books we got.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It would have been better for a man to die rather than give you an unsatisfying ending to a fantasy series? :wtc:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It was a joke, lighten up.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Squallege posted:

Drink... your... Ovaltine?

The gently caress kinda secret code is this!?

I gave a link.. I thought it was straightforward. Copy and paste the text into the rot13 website text field. Click the Cypher button. Done.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zogundar posted:

http://www.rot13.com
Gur jnl gung raqrq, jvgu rira gur nhgube fnlvat "Hu lbh zvtug jnag gb whfg fgbc gur obbx urer, lbh'yy or zhpu unccvre," vg znxrf lbh jbaqre. Jbhyq jr ernyyl or unccvre vs Orefrex unq na raqvat yvxr gung? Pbhyq gung or jurer vg raqf hc tbvat? Abgr gung V nz abg va nal jnl fnlvat vg jbhyq orggre vs Zvhen qvrq/fgbccrq, V'z whfg cbfvat n dhrfgvba.

Minor tangent but minus the spoiler black-line, encoding stuff seems like the best way to hide potential spoilers on a forum. When I see a wall of black I just know something serious went down and I kind of want to scroll over it; but looking at that lovecraftian gibberish was less a temptation.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Libluini posted:

Remember Robert Jordan? Maybe Miura should make sure a replacement is avaiable. Just in case.

Yeah, Steven King has Joe Hill. Miura needs to borrow his clone machine.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

RatHat posted:

To be fair that would've been better than the last couple Dark Tower books we got.

If after all of our grousing for new chapters Guts starts getting pissed on by loli witch (holy poo poo it's been so long since the last chapter I actually can't remember most of the newer characters names) then won't we all have egg on our faces.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cafel posted:

If after all of our grousing for new chapters Guts starts getting pissed on by loli witch (holy poo poo it's been so long since the last chapter I actually can't remember most of the newer characters names) then won't we all have egg on our faces.

misery was a good movie.

my favorite food, book, and movie is most certainly egg in my face.

why don't you pursue a more meaningful hobby, job, and discipline? it turns out the protagonist was you all along /spoiler, and you were too dense to turn the page - too limpwristed to go out on a limb and try to do something that might made people happy, instead of posting derogatory thread derails for free. you could get a 401k plus dental doing this for 32 hours a week on behalf of a counterintelligence agency.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You should probably chill out about jokes in a thread for a manga that barely updates.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I really hope the new movies are announced this year or something. I wonder if they will give 2 movies each to the evil fairy arc and the flat face pope/inquisition arc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I doubt the former needs two movies, it's not that long and not really directly relevant to the plot.

They might even cut it, and while I'm not really sure how I'd feel about that it would make more sense than 90% of the other stuff that got cut.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Brasseye posted:

I wonder if they will give 2 movies each to the evil fairy arc and the flat face pope/inquisition arc.

I don't think Rosine arc could stretch out for two films but the Tower of Conviction probably would.

Oh, and they're going to make more films? Never even saw the previous ones.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Franz von Dada posted:

I don't think Rosine arc could stretch out for two films but the Tower of Conviction probably would.

The Golden Age films were supposed to be the beginning of the plan to adapt the entire Berserk manga into film, so presumably they're continuing with the Conviction arc.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I doubt the former needs two movies, it's not that long and not really directly relevant to the plot.

They might even cut it, and while I'm not really sure how I'd feel about that it would make more sense than 90% of the other stuff that got cut.

Yeah thinking about it, it would be understandable to cut the Rosina arc. I would rather they didnt though, it is a cool part of the story and the first event that starts to illustrate how Griffith's ascension changed the world. Could potentially fit quite nicely into one film as well.

I'm reading the manga again right now, I read the whole thing a couple of years ago up to the sea god but this time I have started from volume 14 as I watched all three films and volume 14 seems to pick up where they left off. Did they cut much from the films? All I remember being missing was the battle right before the eclipse where Guts fights the giant monkey demon.

Franz von Dada posted:

I thought on the whole the films were amazing and really did the original artwork justice unlike the animated series. The 3rd film in particular was one of the most well animated things I can remember seeing. Hard to watch at times though!

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

I thought the Golden Age movies were on the whole pretty terrible, more for their storytelling than their animation, and they leave a lot of questions about how they're actually going to try to continue the story after cutting so much. The fact that the demon-fetus didn't even make it into the third movie leaves a pretty glaring plot-hole later on.

I think that I'm really too overly optimistic about the movies still. I want to just imagine that they cut all the minor plot and character details because they were trying to adapt such a complex narrative at less than 90 minutes a piece, which, to be fair, already had a pretty decent, albeit outdated, adaptation in an animated media, but then when I actually think about the stuff they added I can really only put it down to terrible story-telling.

See, I want to believe that now they'll actually slow down and make really good, self-contained movies out of the Black Swordsman/Conviction arc stuff. I could see the three stories (Vol 1-3 stuff, The Lost Children, and The Tower) making really great, mostly self-contained, movies. They aren't exactly sweeping epics so much as episodic Conan-style fantasy adventures, and the scale of the setting of the narrative is a lot more claustrophobic and dark. Even though all indications point to them totally skipping the Black Swordsman stuff (interviews, splicing Guts *nearly* hurting Femto at the end of Movie 3), I could still accept something like that.

Then I remember that loving Disney dance scene in the second movie and I just want to break down and cry nerdy tears.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well, they cut out the Queen subplot, so they have no reason to go through with the assassination fake out and can party it up, since, you know, they won, achieved everything they set out to do, have no reason to fight and can dance all they want. The intent was to show that they're happy before Guts leaves and Griffith fucks everything up, and while it's obviously not as good as what the manga did it works in the context of the movie.

The worse plot holes are the ones they don't even bother trying to cover up, like how Guts shows up outta nowhere in the third movie, no indication at all of how he found the Hawks, or cutting out that stuff with Rickert's group getting attacked by demons before the Eclipse and how he survived.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, they cut out the Queen subplot, so they have no reason to go through with the assassination fake out and can party it up, since, you know, they won, achieved everything they set out to do, have no reason to fight and can dance all they want. The intent was to show that they're happy before Guts leaves and Griffith fucks everything up, and while it's obviously not as good as what the manga did it works in the context of the movie.

It's been years since I've read the manga OR seen the original anime, can someone give me the lowdown on what the problem is? I remember the plot with the Queen and the minister that was left out entirely but I thought there was some kind of party. Or maybe that was just in the TV anime. I'm not sure what the problem there was? (Except for early cameos.) Unless you hate ballroom dances or dancing in general.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The worse plot holes are the ones they don't even bother trying to cover up, like how Guts shows up outta nowhere in the third movie, no indication at all of how he found the Hawks, or cutting out that stuff with Rickert's group getting attacked by demons before the Eclipse and how he survived.

At least it wasn't like the original anime where it was so heavily implied that Rickert was eaten that I was genuinely surprised that he was rescued by Skull Knight in the manga.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zogundar posted:

Unless you hate ballroom dances or dancing in general.

This.

Berserk is about the grim futility of fighting destiny and the misfortune that befalls those that try, so having everybody smiling and dancing and just being so drat happy is completely assbackwards from the tone of the manga. I thought it was fine, as were most of the other changes that weren't just straight up omissions, but I know some people get really bent out of shape about it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I don't hate the movies, they're perfectly watchable as a quick and dirty recap of the Golden Age, but the whole project was definitely a risky proposition from its inception. The limited running time can't possibly pretend to include everything from the source material to keep the hardcore manga fans happy, which means that a lot of cuts have to be made as well as some subjective changes and additions to cover them up, and at the same time I imagine the producers and staff members also wanted to create a different experience of their own, in order to take advantage of the specifics of the format and the studio's real or imagined strengths, rather than just mechanically follow the footsteps of the TV series.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

wielder posted:

I don't hate the movies, they're perfectly watchable as a quick and dirty recap of the Golden Age, but the whole project was definitely a risky proposition from its inception. The limited running time can't possibly pretend to include everything from the source material to keep the hardcore manga fans happy, which means that a lot of cuts have to be made as well as some subjective changes and additions to cover them up, and at the same time I imagine the producers and staff members also wanted to create a different experience of their own, in order to take advantage of the specifics of the format and the studio's real or imagined strengths, rather than just mechanically follow the footsteps of the TV series.
I know that what you're saying makes sense but I'm bristling at once again being denied my ENJOYMENT AND EXCITEMENT. :(

The Lost Children arc is metal as gently caress, though, and would probably make for a much better standalone movie than the Golden Age trilogy and a great intro to Berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Soulcleaver posted:

I know that what you're saying makes sense but I'm bristling at once again being denied my ENJOYMENT AND EXCITEMENT. :(

The Lost Children arc is metal as gently caress, though, and would probably make for a much better standalone movie than the Golden Age trilogy and a great intro to Berserk.

Oh, definitely. I can only hope we will get, sooner or later, an adaptation of the Lost Children arc or even just continuing on with The Black Swordsman for that matter. I don't mind if it's the studio responsible for the movies or some other party. The Golden Age is both iconic and popular, but there's really so much more to this property than that.