Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Marching Powder posted:

god loving damnit what happened? i forgot this was on

some crazy poo poo that's impossible to explain, find a way to watch the fight asap. honestly don't even let anyone spoil it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Did it take down mma.tv/tuf like Brock used to?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
My Micro teacher is always talking about MRSA and that looks like its spread pretty quick, hope he is alright. Looks like a similar area to where randelman had that awful staph.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
Since its on youtube I figure this is fine to post the match for anyone who missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZphCSVbsI

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I take back some of the bad things I've said about Eddie Bravo. He is actually a high level grappler. Who knew?

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 30, 2014

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dr. Pancakes posted:

Since its on youtube I figure this is fine to post the match for anyone who missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZphCSVbsI

It cuts off with like 4:30 left in the match :smith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah, just cut off for me. Even without the finish that was loving incredible. That drat electric chair position. :stare:

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
The second half is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16nM7bZituc

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The full match here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Qm_gb41rY

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eddie Bravo is loving legit

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Eddie's skills weren't really in doubt. The flack he gets all stems from him saying really stupid poo poo sometimes.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Why is his armpit a boob?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I take back some of the bad things I've said about Eddie Bravo. He is actually a high level grappler. Who knew?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eddie Bravo is loving legit

fatherdog posted:

Eddie Bravo says a LOT of stupid poo poo, but none of it changes the fact that he's a very good black belt.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

everyone

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

He's gonna be on rogans pcast at 12pst tomorrow

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
That should be very interesting.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If I believed every claim made by every UFO obsessed stoner that they refused to prove, I'd look like a chump. Now that he's actually competed at black belt he gets my respect.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If I believed every claim made by every UFO obsessed stoner that they refused to prove, I'd look like a chump. Now that he's actually competed at black belt he gets my respect.

10 years ago Eddie Bravo had already won the ADCC trials(a pretty tough tournament) went to ADCC and submitted 2 quality black belts(including one who had won this tournament multiple times). Eddie may not have ever proved that 10th planet was revolutionary but he proved he was a sick grappler a long time ago.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
He's still got a dumb beard

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

gimpsuitjones posted:

He's still got a dumb beard

And a terrible band.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
So what do you guys think about it from a technical perspective?
Royler seemed almost unprepared for Eddie's 1/2guard>electric chair routine. I was expecting to see him using his arms to mess with Eddie's 1/2guard and set up a knee slide in those initial minutes before Eddie hit the lockdown, and I was also surprised that Royler didn't use his free leg to try to kick the lockdown open while he held on to head&arm control later in the match. Even when Royler managed to free his foot a couple times he didn't seem to plant it very firmly or really do anything to stop Eddie from just re-locking it and stretching it back out, though he could have used a butterfly hook type of thing to keep Eddie's 1/2guard from climbing up his leg...

For example, Marcelo makes good use of a variety of options for avoiding the lockdown here (starting at ~7:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ueQaJSOIg

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 31, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Rumor has it that after the match Eddie went outside to puke, was approached by an angry royce who said that Eddie disrespected his family and wanted to fight him. Machado then intervened.

If it's true, I imagine it was Eddie's "we are all gracies" speech that made them mad.

Chairman Kaga
Jun 3, 2006
I FAG EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE I AM A WHINEY CUNT!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Have you ever competed at the black belt level?

Chairman Kaga fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 31, 2014

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Rumor has it that after the match Eddie went outside to puke, was approached by an angry royce who said that Eddie disrespected his family and wanted to fight him. Machado then intervened.

If it's true, I imagine it was Eddie's "we are all gracies" speech that made them mad.

Holy poo poo, that's a legit photo?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Lol this is so great! I might go train again! Im inspired.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
That was a really rad match, also completely unsurprised at A Gracice getting mad about something dumb.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a legit photo?

Looks like he threw up liquefied weed

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Detroit_Dogg posted:

That was a really rad match, also completely unsurprised at A Gracice getting mad about something dumb.

If true: Completely unsurprised it was Royce.

Also agree that royler seemed not ready for the lockdown and subsequent moves but it's probably pretty hard to find anyone that can do that as well as Eddie and would be willing to help someone prepare to grapple him. Royler might have had a plan that didn't pan out. Or he was just really arrogant and decided there was no need to change anything.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

http://vaughnlive.tv/eddiebravoradio 9 pm pst

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Haha I think this is what Eddie calls the move he was going for at the end. We were that close to "Eddie Bravo def. Royler Gracie by submission (Vaporizer)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tIzC2FIfg

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Eddie just confirmed the Royce story on air.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

royce got mad because eddie pointed at him lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

after eddie's final speech royler said "hey man, we can work together, but you need to stop promoting weed to the kids"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That match was amazing.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Chairman Kaga posted:

Have you ever competed at the black belt level?

Have you ever released an expensive jiu-jitsu DVD set that is mostly just skits and footage of your house and footage of parties?

edit: I really liked that Eddie went out of his way to do his half guard stuff and Royler went out of his way to do his old school Helio stuff. It's like, that's the real heart of what the match was about, I'm glad they stuck by it.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 31, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Have you ever released an expensive jiu-jitsu DVD set that is mostly just skits and footage of your house and footage of parties?

No but I also haven't bought one.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

edit: I really liked that Eddie went out of his way to do his half guard stuff and Royler went out of his way to do his old school Helio stuff. It's like, that's the real heart of what the match was about, I'm glad they stuck by it.

I have a theory that 80% of Eddie's instructional material is just filler. Like he really just does that half guard sequence, some standard butterfly guard and hits some triangle/omoplatas from high guard but to make people feel like they're getting their money's worth he threw in a bunch of crazy poo poo made up that day. His match Saturday just reinforces that notion in my mind.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

I have a theory that 80% of Eddie's instructional material is just filler. Like he really just does that half guard sequence, some standard butterfly guard and hits some triangle/omoplatas from high guard but to make people feel like they're getting their money's worth he threw in a bunch of crazy poo poo made up that day. His match Saturday just reinforces that notion in my mind.

Mission Control really is completely useless. If you watch Drysdale's rubber guard instructional, he doesn't grab his leg until he's already got the opponent's armed trapped and he's on his side. Ryan Hall argued on his Triangle set that pulling your own legs up from guard is mechanically unsound altogether, but either way Eddie's approach (or at least the one you find on the dvd) is dumb. I think this session he did for Budo Videos podcast with Shawn Williams was pretty telling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPPjWRcOKc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What's a guard technique instructional without a whole chapter dedicated to marijuana advocacy?