Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Decided to play through the game again as a Nosferatu.

Just got to the Hallowbrook Hotel and gently caress me, it's still scary after all these years and playthroughs. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Are they in the base game? I remember reading that was added in the fan patch.
I heard this from one of the Bloodlines Resurgance guys who's mucking around inside decompiled map files trying to stitch things together. I'm not sure whether he's using fan-patch maps as a base, either way wouldn't surprise me.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So it was a week or two and a couple of patches ago, but I'd just like to point out that Saulot is not a good guy by any stretch.

While White Wolf did portray him as reasonably decent in the Gehenna scenarios, it actually runs counter to everything else he'd done up to that point. The bugger created a bloodline of peaceful types, and then a bunch of infernalists. So he destroys the infernalists - so far, seems pretty good. But the real reason he did so was a, to cover up his mistake, and b, because the infernalists weren't 'free agents'. they were bound to demons and spirits. Now this becomes really important when, a few centuries down the line, he quietly - through the use of one of his childer (who happens to be much more like a Baali than a Salubri...) - arranges his own diablerie and the total extinction of his clan (or near as he could) to replace them with the 'free agents' he wanted.

His ultimate game plan was a goddamn nuclear war between East and West to fulfill a curse, poison drat near the entire world's 'dragon lines' (ley lines, used by the Cathayans for sustenance/Qi/etc for various game lines) so that the one group he thought might be able to stop him would be unable, and destroy a couple of other Antediluvians if he can while he's at it, and he does this by manipulating another Antedelivian. The guy is a massive scheming rear end in a top hat and the Gehenna treatment of him was a cop out, not an accurate portrayal of the guy.

Here's the important thing to remember. Saulot 'discovered' Golconda (not really, it was actually one of his childer, but whatever). Golconda is not, as usually treated, some kind of 'enlightened' state free from the beast. It is the perfect union between man and beast, and the thing there is, both man and beast are really loving evil most of the time. So just being Golcondic doesn't mean you're a good guy, if anything, it may mean that you're more frighteningly terrifying than anyone else!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think it is more that the way Saulot was written throughout the gameline was wildly inconsistent and depending on who was writing he'd come out between Zen-Vampire and "He's Really Evil, Guys!", which led to both that patched together interpretation of his motivations you've described and his role as a Deus Ex Machina in several Gehenna scenarios.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

ZearothK posted:

I think it is more that the way Saulot was written throughout the gameline was wildly inconsistent and depending on who was writing he'd come out between Zen-Vampire and "He's Really Evil, Guys!", which led to both that patched together interpretation of his motivations you've described and his role as a Deus Ex Machina in several Gehenna scenarios.

WoD lore basically requires the tabletop equivalent of a Council of Nicaea. The fact that they had such abysmal editorial control makes the enduring and compelling nature of their material that much more impressive.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Sort of a lore question, but has it ever been said why the PC got so powerful so quickly in the game?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

Sort of a lore question, but has it ever been said why the PC got so powerful so quickly in the game?

I think the popular theory is that the Cabby/Caine is lowering the PC's generation.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Fat_Cow posted:

I know little about the lore but I don't recall anything being mentioned about it conversation wise...

My guess is simply "Gameplay Mechanics"

VVVV: Bingo

Malek fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 24, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fat_Cow posted:

It's a game.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I think the popular theory is that the Cabby/Caine is lowering the PC's generation.

Ah, so that isn't very hard for him I assume?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Nope. He can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Was Fat Larry always immortal, or was that a pressing concern that simply had to be patched?

Ditto Bertram. Ditto a stupidly slow turnstile at the entrance to Venus' bar.

Also, someone decided that the best Malkavian armor shouldn't include a Dr Seuss hat. A travesty. In three parts.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Having not played for quite a while, I imagine it could be a problem if Fat Larry was killable, since he's a quest-giving NPC and is right in an area where fights break out even without the player's involvement. I think the first time you arrive there some street thugs are going at it at the end of his alleyway, aren't they? It'd probably be pretty easy for Larry to catch a stray and break a quest chain if he weren't invulnerable.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Re the cabbie being Caine, the Gehenna novel has Beckett palling around with an elder who turns out to be Caine, and who either is explicitly stated or heavily implied to have been shielding Beckett from the worst of The Withering, so that theory is fairly plausible in light of that.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gyrotica posted:

WoD lore basically requires the tabletop equivalent of a Council of Nicaea. The fact that they had such abysmal editorial control makes the enduring and compelling nature of their material that much more impressive.

Also, the Baali thing isn't that bad when you realize that there's a few tidbits of lore that point out that they may or may not be keeping an entirely different set of eldritch abomination super-demons from busting loose and devouring the world. They do this by committing atrocities to keep them asleep. Since the World of Darkness is so utterly hosed that if everyone was happy and no horrible things happened they'd wake up and kill everyone.

Which puts the Baali in a disturbing light and explains why Saulot didn't just butcher them wholesale when he realized they were so hosed up. Since it would imply that he created a bunch of monsters to keep an even worse set of monsters from ruining the world.

Keep in mind that one Baali book involves pedophilia, said vampiric boy laying voracious insect eggs through a priest's urethra during intercourse, and all sorts of horrifying unpleasantness as part of an initiation rite into the clan. Baali are basically the :wtc: and :stonk: clan of the bunch. So it makes me wonder what the gently caress he was trying to keep in the proverbial can by creating them.

Also, on Golconda. Saulot easily could have been very human if he had followed a set of high morality actions as a way of life. My understanding is that Golconda isn't so much being "vampire jesus" as much as it is adhering to a specific set of values to the point of adopting an alien morality. Later on I believe this was narrowed down into being the Paths. The morality of a Path circumvents conventional morality and also can pacify or restrain the beast if someone goes far enough down one.

So you could have one person who is literally of one mind with the beast and another who acts insanely honorably and always upholds oaths. Or you could even have someone who bends over backwards to be good (and usually ends up killed for their trouble) beyond all sane reason. The concept of Golconda as a "max humanity" thing always came off as more of a misinterpretation of it to me. It's more about achieving the (potentially evil) vampire equivalent of zen.

Keep in mind that it's theoretically possible for a Tzimisce to achieve it via following their clan specific path too. And Tzimisce is the "Why is your house made of people?" clan. Which should tell you how many different ways (along with how potentially hosed up Golconda can be) someone could achieve it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 25, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Who the gently caress had the credit for penning the Baali poo poo and are they yet arrested? That sounds like something you'd read in a loving horrible internet copy-pasta or fanfic. I know WoD is already kind of gross and disturbing but that's going above and beyond the call of duty.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I think it was published by "black hand" publishing or something. A separate company that was licensed to do whatever hosed up poo poo they wanted to.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
That was White Wolf's "Black Dog Game Factory" arm--where they did their really grimdark and EDGY stuff. It was for the Dark Ages vampire lineup--Baali in the modern age are much much rarer. Something-something-inquisition.

Here's the note on the inside cover:

quote:

Clanbook: Baali is intended for individuals over 18 only, and even then we want you to think twice about playing one. White Wolf in no way condones any of the practices ascribed to the Baali herein, and wishes to make it perfectly clear that we don't encourage anyone to emulate anything that these guys do. The Baali are evil, vicious, sadistic, demented, twisted, hateful--and completely fictional. If you want to add a Baali to your chronicle, here's everything you need to do so. If you want to play a Baali, be very, very careful that you separate in-game and out-of-game attitudes, and that the other players in your game are OK with what you're doing.
There is undoubtedly content in this book that many people will find offensive. Remember, it is the in-character narrator espousing those views, not White Wolf or anyone else associated with this project. Relax, enjoy, and if you find the book problematic, PUT IT DOWN. No one's forcing you to read it.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 25, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well at least they had a pretty CYA disclaimer there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Black Dog was the same people as everything else, it was just a name they used now again to signal "this book is hosed up and adult". The last one was Hunter Book: Wayward, due to the Wayward mindset basically being "anybody who's so much as thought about a supernatural being, ever, needs to die".

Like, you've got a mage who's a pediatrician, and his only use of his power is to heal sick kids. A Judge checks him out, decides he's okay, and leaves him alone. An Innocent wants to talk to him and understand what he's about. An Avenger keeps a close eye on him in case he does the whole mad-with-power thing. A Wayward wraps the hospital's structural supports with explosives on the grounds that it's the only way to be sure, and also it'll be nice to catch his collaborators (i.e. coworkers) in the blast. And Wayward was about getting inside the head of somebody like that.

And then of course there was Freak Legion, the book with fanged genitals as a power you could spend points on.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also, something I don't get: why does the player have to rat out Nines? If the player's been Camarilla loyal, I can see why they would, but that's by no means assured, and I can't imagine a player who's been palling around with the anarchs not just telling LaCroix that Bach did it.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Xander77 posted:

Was Fat Larry always immortal, or was that a pressing concern that simply had to be patched?

He was always immortal.

Fat Larry is actually Caine, so your punny strikes do nothing to him. The whole business with the cabbie was just misdirection.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Let's not forget that Eternal Romance or whatever it was called book, whose excerpt on the old White Wolf website involved some dude coming home to find a vampire in his apartment, who then forces him to have sex with the headless, disemboweled body of his sister while the vampire fucks him in the rear end with a fleshcrafted penis with mouths all over it. And this was the tamest of the short stories in there.

:gonk:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Path of Metamorphosis makes vampires do some hosed-up poo poo. Also Path of Sin.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Pope Guilty posted:

Black Dog was the same people as everything else, it was just a name they used now again to signal "this book is hosed up and adult". The last one was Hunter Book: Wayward, due to the Wayward mindset basically being "anybody who's so much as thought about a supernatural being, ever, needs to die".

Since we're on other settings and Black Dog books, here's a fun fact. There's this company called Pentex in Werewolf who wants to basically destroy and/or drat the world by making it as lovely a place as possible. Since this is a grimdark modern setting that was sometimes aimed at teens they did this by having lovely stuff in the real world be the cause. So you had stuff like fast food being the actual devil since eating it would let in a Fomori.

Other ways to infect you with a Fomori included getting a bad transfusion that was overseen by Pentex, birth control that was manufactured by them (Hope you want your unwanted child to be an abomination!), and reading Black Dog books.

Glad to see they had a self depreciating sense of humor about it, at least.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 25, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a way to change your clan to get all the Clan mode quests?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Archonex posted:

Since we're on other settings and Black Dog books, here's a fun fact. There's this company called Pentex in Werewolf who wants to basically destroy and/or drat the world by making it as lovely a place as possible. Since this is a grimdark modern setting that was sometimes aimed at teens they did this by having lovely stuff in the real world be the cause. So you had stuff like fast food being the actual devil since eating it would let in a Fomori.

Other ways to infect you with a Fomori included getting a bad transfusion that was overseen by Pentex, birth control that was manufactured by them (Hope you want your unwanted child to be an abomination!), and reading Black Dog books.

Glad to see they had a self depreciating sense of humor about it, at least.

Oh yeah, O'Tolley's, the McD's equivalent in the WoD is run by servants of the Wyrm, as is Black Dog games. The book Pentex: Subsidiaries has a whole section on Black Dog which is an hilarious parody of WW as it was at the time.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

This is presumably a Clan Mod issue - when I enter Zhao's room, he goes "excuse me" and runs up to the window, without launching into his spiel first. The Tong don't burst into the warehouse, and Zhao just repeats "excuse" over and over again. Google is of not help.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what everyone is saying during the crowd chatter in the game intro or have an idea on where the sound file(s) might be in the game's files? It's the bit right after Nines calls out LaCroix. The only things I can make out are Jack laughing and someone that sounds like Damsel or Jeanette saying "Sebastian".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

When I enter the Salvage Yard office to confront the serial killer, a man in a suit raises his hand and vanishes. Is he new? I've been through this game a few times over the years and while I remembered the guy in the alley behind Asylum, this guy came as a complete surprise.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Pope Guilty posted:

When I enter the Salvage Yard office to confront the serial killer, a man in a suit raises his hand and vanishes. Is he new? I've been through this game a few times over the years and while I remembered the guy in the alley behind Asylum, this guy came as a complete surprise.

I think that is part of the restored content, there is a later quest tie-in that is easy to miss.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was always kind of curious as to what that whispering in the Nosferatu caverns was actually saying. Could always almost make it out, but not really.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I was always kind of curious as to what that whispering in the Nosferatu caverns was actually saying. Could always almost make it out, but not really.

If you have the Clan Quest Mod or version 7.9 whereabouts of Wesp's patch (not sure which it's packed with exactly), there's a transcript of the different whispers (along with Deb of Night) in the "Tools" folder. It's the quotes marked "Ambiguous" (or at least some of them).

If you don't, well, here you go:

"Bone round in melody and word layed in rain."
"Cemetery runoff congealing at the door."
"Maggots love you. Trust me."
"Mast lay shrouded and the moon is melting."
"Try the corpse in the oven with peppers and fur."
"Souls draped in rotten tatters and Father dances in the dark."
"Make the tallow from the fat of a hangman."

Adnachiel fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 26, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is the graphical overhaul mentioned in the first-from-OP lost to time, or is it still out there somewhere? And is it any good at all?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is the graphical overhaul mentioned in the first-from-OP lost to time, or is it still out there somewhere? And is it any good at all?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646159

Google found this. Interesting stuff.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Man, that better world texture mod he listed looks lovely, everything is too crisp and perfect.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think Vampire still holds up graphically all these years, although I like forcing AA through my video card, which makes everything look nice enough.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
All of the poo poo he has barring the eyes and the hands look TERRIBLE. Jesus.

e: vv They kind of do, but they look better than the dull matte eyes in the example shots.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 30, 2014

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

All of the poo poo he has barring the eyes and the hands look TERRIBLE. Jesus.

Honestly the eyes are creepy too, they look a bit "shiny doll eyes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Re the cabbie being Caine, the Gehenna novel has Beckett palling around with an elder who turns out to be Caine, and who either is explicitly stated or heavily implied to have been shielding Beckett from the worst of The Withering, so that theory is fairly plausible in light of that.

I always liked the end to that book. Everything is going to hell and Beckett thinks that Caine would know how to make everything right, but Caine basically shrugs his shoulders and says "I really have no clue about any of this." then leaves.

• Locked thread