Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

LordNat posted:

With some Netrunner promos going 200+ for a single card I don't even want to think about the prices of promo models.

Well the nice thing about that is, even if they are highly desirable, they're a prize that doesn't disrupt the game environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well the nice thing about that is, even if they are highly desirable, they're a prize that doesn't disrupt the game environment.

True, but the development and production costs associated with alt models would likely be far greater than a slew of alt art cards.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Are there any cheap ways to put stress on enemy pilots at present? I know the Flechette Torpedo will provide this in the future but am interested in what options we have for the short term.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Fetterkey posted:

Are there any cheap ways to put stress on enemy pilots at present? I know the Flechette Torpedo will provide this in the future but am interested in what options we have for the short term.

Only released thing I can think of is Rebel Captive.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Fetterkey posted:

As mentioned, Rebel Captive is the first thing that springs to mind, but it's Imperial only and comes with the shuttle :v:.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I watched a guy pay $100 another player for two of the prize card boxes(from last year's regionals or worlds) on Sunday at the store championship I was at. This was the guy who was talking about have 4 Rebel Transports on pre-order, so....

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Not real sure what I'm doing at this point, but how does this look for a starting list?

A-Wing Green Squadron Pilot
- A-Wing Test Pilot
- Elusiveness
- Wingman
- Chardaan Refit
- Stealth Device

A-Wing Green Squadron Pilot
- A-Wing Test Pilot
- Elusiveness
- Wingman
- Chardaan Refit
- Stealth Device

YT-1300 Lando Calrissian
- Draw Their Fire
- C-3PO
- Nein Nunb
- Anti-pursuit Lasers

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Holy balls that's alot of points sunk into those A-Wings. Off the top of my head I'd drop those Anti-pursuit lasers off Lando only because you'll be moving later and you really don't want to make it a habit of running into dudes to use the APL because you'll lose an action.

I honestly would've thought that Push the Limit is more desirable, but I can see what you are doing. I've seen the Wingman card, but will it destroy the stress or just transfer it to the ship with the 'Wingman' card?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

Holy balls that's alot of points sunk into those A-Wings. Off the top of my head I'd drop those Anti-pursuit lasers off Lando only because you'll be moving later and you really don't want to make it a habit of running into dudes to use the APL because you'll lose an action.

I honestly would've thought that Push the Limit is more desirable, but I can see what you are doing. I've seen the Wingman card, but will it destroy the stress or just transfer it to the ship with the 'Wingman' card?

The Anti-pursuit lasers were the last thing I added, because I had 2 points left over. The rest of the upgrades in that section for 2pts or less don't seem like they would have an effect.

According the army builder I'm using Wingman states "At the start of the Combat phase, remove 1 stress token from another friendly ship at Range 1."

Here is a link to the list.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I decided I'll try the store championship anyway. Get some nice x-wing games in. Has anyone tried a jack-of-all-trades list similar to this one before? I know I'm not concentrating abilities and firepower like typical rebel lists but I made something similar a while back and got 4th out of 20 in a (different) store's monthly tournament.

B-Wing, blue
Adv Sensor

A-Wing, green
Push the Limit

X-Wing, Biggs

Y-Wing, Dutch Vander
Ion Cannon

I was hoping that with such a list it'd perform similarly to the Biggs, rookie, double B-Wing build but it'd give me more options. I had trouble against a Lambda+ Squints list before and I hope the y-wing would help against squints while the a-wing can flank. I've been trying it out with my friend and I seem to like it better than double b-wings due to dutch's free target lock. The other ships are free to focus while Dutch hands out locks.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
With the cheap as balls headhunters on the horizon I'm tempted to bring out Han with 4 of them. Will depend on their dial I guess.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Z-95 dial was spoiled last week- http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4715

Very similar to an X-Wing's.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Hra Mormo posted:

With the cheap as balls headhunters on the horizon I'm tempted to bring out Han with 4 of them. Will depend on their dial I guess.

I've been doing very well with my silly new guy list of:

Krassis Trelix, HLC
Howlrunner
Obsidian Squadron Pilot
Obsidian Squadron Pilot
Obsidian Squadron Pilot

I could easily see Han + 4 Z-95s being similarly good.

For the above list, what do you guys think about my last 3 points? Right now I've upgraded to Obsidian Squadron Pilots to shoot before Blue Squadron/Rookie Pilots, which I see a fair bit of, but it seems potentially more worth it to give Howlrunner a Stealth Device or Krassis a Recon Operative. Any thoughts?

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 29, 2014

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Much better pics of the Wave 4 ships!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hexis/sets/72157643139942695/

They are on display at the FFG Game Center about 4 miles from my place. A friend went over and got better pictures today. Looking pretty nice!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
God the Tie defender is such a stupid design

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

It's funny, it might actually look better if it only had the top wing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bad Moon posted:

Man, you take that back. The Defender is my favorite TIE variant. I love how stupidly overpowered it is in the EU. There's always an excuse for why the Empire can never field more than a handful of them at any given engagement.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well ya, the tie defender was originally made to be a special snowflake ship for you in the tie fighter game.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

jivjov posted:

Man, you take that back. The Defender is my favorite TIE variant. I love how stupidly overpowered it is in the EU. There's always an excuse for why the Empire can never field more than a handful of them at any given engagement.

Agreed. The Defender is by and far the best Imperial ship.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My playgroup has been messing around with 4x Royal Guards w/ PTL and it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. It's pretty skill intensive to play but man does it do some work.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I find it really interesting to see some "crossing of the streams", with the Empire having TIE Advanceds and Defenders with shields and missiles, and Rebels having cheap swarm-y Z-95 Headhunters and the like.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Just had a good run with Captain Yorr with a rebel captive and some sabre squadron interceptors with elusive. Going to play with it some more, but having Yorr soak up their stress is really useful. Not sold on Carnor yet; he can be devastating with expose but giving him enough upgrades to stay alive gets expensive, and I'm not good enough to keep him out of harm's way.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

When the Wave 4 ships were first announced I was pretty sure I'd be just using the TIE Phantoms, but now I think I might use 1 Phantom at most, I think I'll be relying on the TIE Defenders if they turn out okay.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

quote:

X-Wing™ Escalation Tournament

Launch your fleet, and engage the enemy! This X-Wing event challenges you to build and pilot squads of increasing size. The Escalation Tournament follows the standard dogfight tournament rules, with the following exceptions and changes:

Players will submit 4 squad lists upon registering:

A 60 point list
A 90 point list. At least 30 points must be the same as the 60 point list
A 120 point list. At least 50 Points must be the same as the 90 point list
A 150 point list. At least 75 points must be the same as the 120 point list
Tournament Structure will feature Swiss-style pairing, with a number of preliminary rounds and round time as follows:

Round 1, 45 minutes 4/3
Round 2, 60 minutes 4/10
Round 3, 75 minutes 4/17
Round 4, 90 minutes 4/24

The elimination rounds will include the top four players from the Swiss. Each player will use the 150 point list. The top four round will be 90 minutes, and the final table will be not be timed. Prizes will be awarded to the top players.

Ugh, I have no idea what to run and it starts Thursday.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

1) 2 Outer Rim Smugglers
2) 3 Outer Rim Smugglers
3) 4 Outer Rim Smugglers
4) 5 Outer Rim Smugglers

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Swagger Dagger posted:

1) 2 Outer Rim Smugglers
2) 3 Outer Rim Smugglers
3) 4 Outer Rim Smugglers
4) 5 Outer Rim Smugglers

That's just cruel. Hilarious, but cruel.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Swagger Dagger posted:

1) 2 Outer Rim Smugglers
2) 3 Outer Rim Smugglers
3) 4 Outer Rim Smugglers
4) 5 Outer Rim Smugglers

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Swagger Dagger posted:

1) 2 Outer Rim Smugglers
2) 3 Outer Rim Smugglers
3) 4 Outer Rim Smugglers
4) 5 Outer Rim Smugglers

A guy ran that at the escalation event at Worlds...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pbpancho posted:

A guy ran that at the escalation event at Worlds...

How did he do?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
If not for the cost, I'd do it. And spend the whole game quoting from Convoy. Alternatively, slip an A-wing in there for East Bound and Down.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Saw this on the FFG forums

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
The whole decloak extra move totally blows my mind at the possibilities. It's going to present a downside with making sure to avoid obstacles while decloaking, but it is also going to open up a ton of new tactical options for the decloaker. I am super excited to see the maneuver dial now to see what kind of crazy poo poo is possible with this thing. I am :f5:ing the FFG site like crazy waiting for an article to pop up now.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

That's pretty cool. 4 Agility for the Phantom while cloaked ain't bad at all. Combined with the move on decloaking, at the very least they're going to be fun to fly.

Also, the Phantom has a System Upgrade slot. Advanced Sensors will work before you cloak, so you can get your action in (rolling, or boosting with an Engine Upgrade) before you decloak and get your 2 move.

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 31, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Veritek83 posted:

That's pretty cool. 4 Agility for the Phantom while cloaked ain't bad at all. Combined with the move on decloaking, at the very least they're going to be fun to fly.

Also, the Phantom has a System Upgrade slot. Advanced Sensors will work before you cloak, so you can get your action in (rolling, or boosting with an Engine Upgrade) before you decloak and get your 2 move.

There's also the advanced cloaking device card that lets you cloak for free after you shoot, so you can decloak, focus, shoot, cloak.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

You know, it's almost identical to STAW in terms of raw mechanics, but the execution of it here, in particular rolling "Sensor Echo" into Decloaking, seems a lot more fluid and interesting.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
Another crazy thing I just realized you can do. Use Advanced Sensors to perform a cloak action and then immediately decloak to get the 2 move boost or barrel roll. Combine this with the Stygium Particle Accelerator to end up with an Evade token too!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think it's a really neat gimmick but there is a real possibility you'll be rolling blanks, especially if you are cloaking/firing every alternating turn. I've already had my Agility 4 TIE Interceptors put in the own-zone, and while it sounds really grognard I'm not mega impressed by it. I'm pretty sure it'll allow some interesting strategies, perhaps some kind of annoying as gently caress flanker but beyond that I'm not too sure.

Bring on the TIE Defender :neckbeard:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

I think it's a really neat gimmick but there is a real possibility you'll be rolling blanks, especially if you are cloaking/firing every alternating turn. I've already had my Agility 4 TIE Interceptors put in the own-zone, and while it sounds really grognard I'm not mega impressed by it. I'm pretty sure it'll allow some interesting strategies, perhaps some kind of annoying as gently caress flanker but beyond that I'm not too sure.

Yeah, I've also seen Agility 4 (or even 5, with an Interceptor with Stealth at R3) come up blank. I actually don't think the Phantom is going to be some god ship, but it should make for some wacky hijinks and fun games.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

7thBatallion posted:

Agreed. The Defender is by and far the best Imperial ship.

Missile Boat. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Missile Boat. :colbert:

You're confusing best ship with worst ship again. The Defender in XvT could fire all the guns at once, it was that amazing.

• Locked thread