Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Will I be able to play this at midnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

WYA posted:

Will I be able to play this at midnight?

Possibly on GoG, but it's looking like it's going to have a ~10am release on Steam.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Tomn posted:

Personally, I'd be pretty interested in a "First Age" fantasy game where the whole point is to leave behind an awesome legacy worthy of being remembered by future, lesser generations, whether it's done through crafting amazing artifacts, leaving behind incredible monuments, achieving legendary heroics and even engaging in epoch-marking wars.

Bonus points if the ending consists of various adventurers picking over the ruins of the civilizations in play, marveling at what they've uncovered.

So something like Small World in concept, with your race rising then declining, but with just one race rather than several in succession and done in true 4x TBS style? That actually could be interesting if done right.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

A.C. posted:

Possibly on GoG, but it's looking like it's going to have a ~10am release on Steam.

10am in which timezone?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm going off this:

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, the plan is 9-10am PST. This is in no way guaranteed though, just what we're going for.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A.C. posted:

I'm going off this:

Which is six in the evening, GMT, for reference.

Couldn't you Yanks have picked one of your eastern time zones to organise game releases around? :negative:

Fintilgin posted:

This, honestly, is why I'm only a little excited about this. :smith:

I'm a builder at heart. I like to turtle in my 4Xs, have a few short, decisive wars, and generally win via some peaceful mode like spaceship/transcendence. I'm sure I'll have fun with AoW, but what I really want (and will probably never get) is Master of Magic through the lens of someone like Firaxis, with a strong non-war component. I know there's Fall from Heaven for Civ IV, but I never really got into it.

I, too, prefer to play the economic leviathan squatting at the heart of the world and being smug at people from atop a giant pile of gold, brother. :unsmith:

I call it the "China playstyle"

Tomn posted:

Personally, I'd be pretty interested in a "First Age" fantasy game where the whole point is to leave behind an awesome legacy worthy of being remembered by future, lesser generations, whether it's done through crafting amazing artifacts, leaving behind incredible monuments, achieving legendary heroics and even engaging in epoch-marking wars.

Bonus points if the ending consists of various adventurers picking over the ruins of the civilizations in play, marveling at what they've uncovered.

This sounds great, though. :allears:

Someone get on that pronto.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Autonomous Monster posted:

That really does sound like it has a lot of promise. I would probably prefer it like a real time sim like SimCity or Anno though. I don't think we've had one of those since uhm... Majesty maybe?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Hyped for tomorrow, :getin:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tomn posted:

Guuuuys! Stop talking about an awesome game that i wanted Elemental to be and focus on this one! :saddowns:

Seriously now, that sounds rad as a soundbite for a 4x game. Toss in "BIG MONSTERS/GODS/SEMI-DIVINES!" to capture that legendary epoch feel and you're pretty golden.

If anyone plans to stream "seriously"* on twitch when this is released, put a link to your account and ill shove it in the 2nd post. It might help the fence sitters decide if its for them or not.

*As in, more then just fart around and maybe stream one or two games like i plan to do. :v:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 31, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I have changed my mad, it's a terrible idea. Why? Because everything cool about it happens after the game is over! All you've actually got, the actual tangible mechanical implications, are a funky new scoring system and a neat little epilogue. The basic play experience is left unchanged.

Much better would be if you could use a completed game as a base for some RPG or roguelike or similar, like Dorf Fort's adventurer mode. Though that's a little awkward itself- who wants to play a whole game of something just as a prologue to a radically different sort of game? And you'd need some pretty drat advanced procedural content generation to make the RPG side hang together, and we're not there yet, technologically.

So, maybe the best solution would be to run it Risk Legacy style? (Note: I have never actually played Risk Legacy, just read about it.) So every game you play becomes the basis for next; you just keep layering more and more history into this one world.

(And then build a MMORTS version, run it for a decade and see what totally bizarre poo poo you get coming out the other side :unsmigghh:)

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Shadowmorn posted:

Guuuuys! Stop talking about an awesome game that i wanted Elemental to be and focus on this one! :saddowns:

Seriously now, that sounds rad as a soundbite for a 4x game. Toss in "BIG MONSTERS/GODS/SEMI-DIVINES!" to capture that legendary epoch feel and you're pretty golden.

If anyone plans to stream "seriously"* on twitch when this is released, put a link to your account and ill shove it in the 2nd post. It might help the fence sitters decide if its for them or not.

*As in, more then just fart around and maybe stream one or two games like i plan to do. :v:

I might stream the campaigns/some random maps. Depends on how soon I get my new computer.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Shadowmorn posted:

I'm not a huge 4x player, but what was wrong with Fallen Enchantress? I got it recently when it was on sale on Steam, had no expectations and didn't know anything about it, but I've enjoyed it a lot.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Elyv posted:

I'm not a huge 4x player, but what was wrong with Fallen Enchantress? I got it recently when it was on sale on Steam, had no expectations and didn't know anything about it, but I've enjoyed it a lot.

the first elemental was literally missing everything in fallen enchantress and didnt even work and was pretty much the worst game ive ever bought. Luckily they gave most of the people who got elemental fallen enchantress for free which is a pretty ok game.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Elyv posted:

Fallen Enchantress and especially Legendary Heroes are legit great games despite the fact that Wardell is a disgusting misogynist. I envy people who can play those games without remembering that the person paying the salary to the designers is absolutely loving disgusting.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

THS posted:

Fallen Enchantress and especially Legendary Heroes are legit great games despite the fact that Wardell is a disgusting misogynist. I envy people who can play those games without remembering that the person paying the salary to the designers is absolutely loving disgusting.

Yeah I have Legendary Heroes and I may or may not have sunk something like 150 hours into it. I don't know anything about the making of the game or designers though, what's the story behind that?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

THS posted:

Huh. I'll have to check it out during some Steam sale. I know the release was dire, and I didn't realize that the game ever actually became worth playing.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Elyv posted:

Yeah I have Legendary Heroes and I may or may not have sunk something like 150 hours into it. I don't know anything about the making of the game or designers though, what's the story behind that?

Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock had a public sexual harassment case leveled at him from a former female employee. Stardock filed their own lawsuit on the former employee claiming she deleted company data and made off with a laptop or something. The proceedings went for 3 years and ended in an out of court settlement, noting that $ was not exchanged apparently.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/09/stardock-lawsuits-dropped-ex-employee-apologizes/

The whole thing revealed Brad to be rather misogynistic and an all round jerk to his employees, more details can be found here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505495

Don't worry if this was a shock to you, I had no idea either and was a big fan of early Stardock games. Not so much after being an early beta tester in Elemental which was hilariously bad even after launch.

Fallen Enchantress salvaged it and in Stardock's defence they did give that game for free to all the people that purchased Elemental and rightfully so.

Anyway I'm hoping that AoW III is loving incredible and being an Australian it's a frustrating that it's the 31st right now, but I have to wait another oh 9hrs?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
If GoG drags their feet and releases at around the same time as Steam, it should be released at exactly around when my Mondays end, allowing me to become an unproductive mess for the rest of the day.

e: And if the game is released in the next half hour, gently caress if i'm getting any sleep tonight.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Which is six in the evening, GMT, for reference.

Couldn't you Yanks have picked one of your eastern time zones to organise game releases around? :negative:

Valve is west coast based which is why they usually release stuff on their store at 10 AM PST.

As for me, Monday is the end of my workweek and I happen to have a morning 4-noon shift that day :morning:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
14 hour day tomorrow and then I close the next. What is this sleep bullshit?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DrManiac posted:

Isn't the entire point of fantasy games like this to wreck poo poo with monsters and magic? The closest thing to a peaceful option I ever seen is that unity spell from warlock.

As Warlock 2 shows, the Unity spell is not altogether peaceful! :v:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Valve is west coast based which is why they usually release stuff on their store at 10 AM PST.

It annoys me because Triumph is Dutch!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Taear posted:

It annoys me because Triumph is Dutch!

The publisher decides when the game gets published.

:negative:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Deltasquid posted:

The publisher decides when the game gets published.

:negative:

Publisher: Triumph Studios

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pomp posted:

Publisher: Triumph Studios

Oh well in that case I'll stomp my foot angrily on the ground until it's evening.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
We chose this time because we don't want to release the game when most of Valve's staff aren't at work. Valve only has a skeleton crew of support people at work now, so if we were to release now and something were to go wrong, there might not be the right people around to fix it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

We chose this time because we don't want to release the game when most of Valve's staff aren't at work. Valve only has a skeleton crew of support people at work now, so if we were to release now and something were to go wrong, there might not be the right people around to fix it.

You ruined my weekend, pre-order cancelled! :argh:

(not really, I'm the best fan I swear! :ohdear:)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gerblyn posted:

It's understandable, but it still makes me even more anxious to play it.

At least it's going to be so very cathartic when the clock hits 18:00.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Do people really find Legendary Heroes to be that great of a game? I got it for $10 at the humble bundle store and found it to be super boring and generic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Do people really find Legendary Heroes to be that great of a game? I got it for $10 at the humble bundle store and found it to be super boring and generic.

It's merely okay. One of the biggest issues is still the dumbass UI with unintuitive information. For example when founding a city, the tile resources don't show what tiles will be worked in the city, it shows the total resources for the city if built on that one particular tile. This can be super confusing to new players who are used to tiles being resources.

Usually though it doesn't matter because the only thing a player will really look for is essence so he can buff his city.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I went and did it. I told myself that I wasn't going to, because I've been burned on preorders too often, but I preordered AoW3 practically at the literal eleventh hour. I did it because I want to believe. Age of Wonders is somehow something more than just another game - the original holds an almost mystical place in my memory for being so profoundly evocative. It's become far more than just a game over the years: it's memory has morphed into a vessel of imagination, an exemplar of everything joyful about gaming. And the little kid inside of me wants to believe again - in good, in evil, in dragons and magic and all the cliches of high fantasy. I bought in because I want to feel like the kid I remember being so many years ago when I played the original game.

Nothing could possibly live up to that, not even the original in it's heyday.

The rational side of my brain is hoping for a good strategy game once I return to my senses, and that side was sold on the game by watching the videos and reading in the thread about the tactical AI being not-stupid. If not for that, my rational brain would have thrown in a veto and I would have just waited to see how Endless Legend turns out.

e: Side note on Stardock: I got more entertainment value out of the laughably broken original Elemental than I've gotten out of Fallen Enchantress. Original Elemental was the Plan 9 From Outer Space of computer games - so bad it was hilarious, and so broken it was fantastic fun figuring out how to optimally dismember the mechanics. Fallen Enchantress is just utterly forgettable.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 31, 2014

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I'm interested in buying this game. I saw this stickied in the game's Steam forum. It is a proper countdown clock.

http://countingdownto.com/countdown/age-of-wonders-3-steam-release-countdown-clock

At the time of this posting we have 5 hours and 21 minutes left.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

Nobody's really mad, just view the next 6 hours of thread as a bunch of kids insisting on opening their presents on christmas eve instead.

I am one of those kids :argh:

I have changed my mad, it's a terrible idea. Why? Because everything cool about it happens after the game is over! All you've actually got, the actual tangible mechanical implications, are a funky new scoring system and a neat little epilogue. The basic play experience is left unchanged.

Much better would be if you could use a completed game as a base for some RPG or roguelike or similar, like Dorf Fort's adventurer mode. Though that's a little awkward itself- who wants to play a whole game of something just as a prologue to a radically different sort of game? And you'd need some pretty drat advanced procedural content generation to make the RPG side hang together, and we're not there yet, technologically.

So, maybe the best solution would be to run it Risk Legacy style? (Note: I have never actually played Risk Legacy, just read about it.) So every game you play becomes the basis for next; you just keep layering more and more history into this one world.

(And then build a MMORTS version, run it for a decade and see what totally bizarre poo poo you get coming out the other side :unsmigghh:)
I was going to make a very similar post last night, dwarf fortress reference and all, but was all nooo I should got to bed :argh:

You could also go with the Spore model, where after you finish a game of Kingdom Builder you can choose to upload it, and whenever you play a game of Dungeon Smasher it grabs someone's post-apocalyptic kingdom ruins for you to go exploring in.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 31, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Nobody's really mad, just view the next 6 hours of thread as a bunch of kids insisting on opening their presents on christmas eve instead.

Yeah, I get that :) I just thought I'd explain why a European company is releasing on a US schedule. We would all much rather release in EU time to be honest, since then a bunch of us wouldn't have to sit in the office until midnight to help fix any problems people might have when the game goes live.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, I get that :) I just thought I'd explain why a European company is releasing on a US schedule. We would all much rather release in EU time to be honest, since then a bunch of us wouldn't have to sit in the office until midnight to help fix any problems people might have when the game goes live.
Yeah yeah Santa's elves are tired blah blah we've heard it all before give me my shiny things :argh: (didn't think of that. That blows sorry guys :()

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Before I shoot myself in the foot, how viable are elf dreadnoughts? I'm hesitating between that or an elf sorcerer.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

I didn't actually realise you were based in Europe? Where specifically?

Deltasquid posted:

Before I shoot myself in the foot, how viable are elf dreadnoughts? I'm hesitating between that or an elf sorcerer.

I would take a nature magic sphere to go with it, because land traints are going to eat forests and that will certainly cut into your elven happiness. Nature should let you spawn tree's though, but don't hold me to that because that could be a druid only spell.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 31, 2014

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
I've been listening to this Tom Petty tune for the past six hours on repeat.

I'm indescribably mad. :tizzy:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I didn't actually realise you were based in Europe? Where specifically?
Triumph Studios is based in Delft, the Netherlands.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

Triumph Studios is based in Delft, the Netherlands.

Yeah, it's a small city about halfway between Rotterdam and the Hague.

• Locked thread