Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Consider this.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there any way to increase the amount of points you have to make your pretender? I don't really plan on playing multiplayer and I just enjoy the complexity of the game even if the AI is bad.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dapper Dan posted:

Is there any way to increase the amount of points you have to make your pretender? I don't really plan on playing multiplayer and I just enjoy the complexity of the game even if the AI is bad.

Other than taking negative scales and making your pretender asleep/imprisoned, no. Probably some mods out there that can help though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The best you'll get with mods is setting the initial pretender cost lower / to zero, or increasing starting dom/magic which indirectly lessens cost to buy more. Overall these things are small point changes though, so no mods don't really help you here. Sorry.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Could try a negative cost on a pretender chassis, no clue if that would actually work though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dapper Dan posted:

Might as well go imprisoned vs the ai, Single player does not compare to multi though.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

OKAY here's a game for super new people like myself, please don't join if you're already in either of the 2 noobish games I've created already

Indeterminate amount of maximum players because I have no idea how many new people there are. If it completely fills up that will be cool and also great, I guess if that happens I'll make another one!!!

http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/136

How often do noob games happen? I just picked this up beacause of the steam sale and am currently playing through the tutorial and browsing the manual. Would it be okay if I join this game even as a complete new player? I have no real experience with the genre outside of Total War/Civ, which really doesn't seem to help in this game.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Ah well, thanks for the help. I was hoping there'd be something. I really don't have the time to do multiplayer honestly, since I have an erratic schedule. Which is why I focus mainly on singleplayer. I guess I'll do negative scales/imprisoned.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Diplomat posted:

How often do noob games happen?
The last two pages have been full of people asking about them, it's fair to say there'll be more people who aren't in the thread who also want to participate.

The PGS thread should totally be renamed "Dominions 4 signups etc." rather than Dominions 3, it's been like six months now, and it's pretty unhelpful to keep the old name despite the new game.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dapper Dan posted:

Ah well, thanks for the help. I was hoping there'd be something. I really don't have the time to do multiplayer honestly, since I have an erratic schedule. Which is why I focus mainly on singleplayer. I guess I'll do negative scales/imprisoned.

How erratic, can you log on say once every 50 hours? normally games are on a 25 hour timer to start with, which slowly expands as the game goes into the end game and turns need more planning, but a 50 hour a turn game can work probably.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Diplomat posted:

How often do noob games happen? I just picked this up beacause of the steam sale and am currently playing through the tutorial and browsing the manual. Would it be okay if I join this game even as a complete new player? I have no real experience with the genre outside of Total War/Civ, which really doesn't seem to help in this game.

Yeah, go for it, that was the intent of it!

I'd recommend messing around in single player a bit and maybe digging through the old dominions 3 wiki while you wait for the game to actually start though, just to familiarise yourself with stuff and things

https://web.archive.org/web/20110114015534/http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Main_Page

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Diplomat posted:

Newbie games are for new players and neruz, so yes.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Decrepus posted:

Newbie games are for new players and neruz, so yes.

I'm not allowed in newbie games anymore get with the program.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It's okay, you can join a newb game as long as you pick MA Ermor

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Thanks for the comments, registered on the site. Looking forward to getting obliterated.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I always see a ton of people who aren't in the IRC asking for games, and blitz games are pretty much never scheduled through the forums, so how many of yall might be interested in one? I'm looking to host a blitz at around 7 EST tonight, so if you're interested just hit us up in the IRC a bit before. Age will come to a vote then, and nations first-come first-serve.

A blitz is where you play a whole game in the span of a few hours, if you haven't heard of it. I want to say that it'll be all-comers, with newbies and bad people completely free to ask for help in IRC.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

As EA Pangea, is Turmoil worthwhile for the freespawns? If so, does it make more sense to max Turmoil to 3, or take less of it to get some freespawns while also having cash for heavy lifting troops to complement them?

Shachar fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 29, 2014

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Shachar posted:

As EA Pangea, is Turmoil worthwhile for the freespawns? If so, does it make more sense to max Turmoil to 3, or take less of it to get some freespawns while also having cash for heavy lifting troops to complement them?

The freespawn is terrible. Revelers are awesome. And the white centaurs can carry you for half the game with a simple w9 or n9 bless. If you really want to rush someone, an awake w9 dragon and those white centaurs will do the trick; unfortunately, the LP where Flavah was rushing Mictlan, Ashpodel, and someone else all at the same time seems to have died. I'd be curious to learn what his fate was.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

scales.png

i'm sad i didn't get to cast that con 9 mechanical men aid pd spell before everyone went ai, i wanted to see what a 100pd castle stack would have looked like :smith:

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 30, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Shachar posted:

As EA Pangaea, is Turmoil worthwhile for the freespawns?
Maybe, yeah.

Run it with Magic and lean more heavily on Dryad Mothers than Pans and you might be golden, but remember that a) they are harder to buff protection on than most of your troops, even the rag-wearing ones, since they don't have any armour, and b) you will want SOME pans out there to absolutely loving stuff your forts with Maenads, rendering them super annoying siege targets.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shachar posted:

Personally I'd go with neutral order scales at worst if I really wanted maenads. Though generally, order is better for Pan imo since they have a great lineup and you will be largely gold limited.

That doesn't preclude the possibility of maenads completely though. If you have a t3l3 neighbor, you can try negotiating peace and sitting a pan pile in a fort on the border in their dominion for maenads. There's also the option of neutral order scales which will not completely gently caress your income while still generating some maenads. And really, with T3 you generate huge hilarious starving hordes of them in such huge quantities as to be overkill. If something can beat 100 maenads, it can probably beat 500.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 30, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kitfox88 posted:

scales.png

i'm sad i didn't get to cast that con 9 mechanical men aid pd spell before everyone went ai, i wanted to see what a 100pd castle stack would have looked like :smith:

Were you just not recruiting mages or something? I have no idea how you managed that without upkeep eating you alive.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, the only troops he has are PD, so that helps a bit.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Shachar posted:

As somebody rocking two newbie games with this setup and regretting it, you have to be super aggressive with the maenads (and get them killed) and lean heavily on alteration. Fail to do either, and you'll choke your economy with maenad upkeep (gotta feed your crazy naked lady legions) and lose entire maenad armies to chain-casted blade winds (which is likely to happen anyway).

That said, Pans non-maenad units are great, and dryad-led centaur stealth armies are hilarious and awesome. Go with order and a good bless and you'll get much more mileage.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Were you just not recruiting mages or something? I have no idea how you managed that without upkeep eating you alive.

scalded schlong posted:

Well, the only troops he has are PD, so that helps a bit.

Pretty much this. I basically only had one major troop stack composed of my prophet and my basic human dude infantry, the rest of it was mercs I kept hiring. :v:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I was one of his neighbors and didn't care to fight him because I just wanted to beeline for Machaka to punish him for diseasing my SC pretender early on. I killed two of Kitfox's 50 PD provinces on the way to Machaka with like zero casualties just using flaming crossbows, so it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny in a real game where everyone played seriously.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

those were lovely indi provinces my strategy is just fine you lost like 10 crossbowmen that first one shut up mrbims :cry:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The PD strategy seems almost as effective as the Niefelheim turtling strategy from Dom3.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

For anyone still on the fence with Dominion 4, like me, it's 8.75 at gamersgate right now(bigger discount than Steam) and the key works on Steam if that's your thing.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Posting to show my goondom, looking forward to getting my rear end handed to me in MP

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Finally cracked and bought dominions 4 just for the novelty of seeing a dominions game reasonably priced. RIP 60$ copy of Dominions 3.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
For the goon who made the De Dana mod, couple thoughts.

- Your national summons make me sad. Unrest causing giants that I mass summon for no immediate purpose? Sob.
- The priests are way too weak. Only priest you get is a slow to recruit level 1 necromancer.
- The Milesian slaves seem tacked on really.
- The Milesian Hermits are ridiculous. I love them. Bunch of grumpy old men causing a ruckus. I hate to say this, but they may need to be needed, I never had any of them get caught. Higher gold cost or lower stealth.

Overall, excellent rough draft of a nation. With LA, there always seems to be flavor that goes into the playstyle of the nation. The flavor for Dana just is cumbersome though, with slave troops and weird mage types. The best flavor is the hermits and their ruckus causing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

For the goon who made the De Dana mod, couple thoughts.

- Your national summons make me sad. Unrest causing giants that I mass summon for no immediate purpose? Sob.
- The priests are way too weak. Only priest you get is a slow to recruit level 1 necromancer.
- The Milesian slaves seem tacked on really.
- The Milesian Hermits are ridiculous. I love them. Bunch of grumpy old men causing a ruckus. I hate to say this, but they may need to be needed, I never had any of them get caught. Higher gold cost or lower stealth.

Overall, excellent rough draft of a nation. With LA, there always seems to be flavor that goes into the playstyle of the nation. The flavor for Dana just is cumbersome though, with slave troops and weird mage types. The best flavor is the hermits and their ruckus causing.
This is all very worth knowing, thanks.

Does anyone know anything about how often people take Order in LA compared to EA? This the kind of thing you can track through Brainwrinkle at all? I often take P1+ and Growth over Order in LA just because pretender points are at a premium, but that might not be The Meta for online play, and I'd like to balance this according to what's going on at the moment.

I'm aware Chaos Power is just a straight up disadvantage in EA until year 3 or 4 because every fucker and their mum runs O3, but it might be a way to make the unrest-causing mechanic in De Dana more interesting on the Fomorians?

(also I am adding an H1 priest, the ability to cast national versions of Power/Defence of the Sepulchre etc., and slightly more than doubling the cost of the Hermit based on this and other feedback - not sure about adding Barghests and Black Dogs, thoughts?)

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 31, 2014

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

This is all very worth knowing, thanks.

Does anyone know anything about how often people take Order in LA compared to EA? This the kind of thing you can track through Brainwrinkle at all? I often take P1+ and Growth over Order in LA just because pretender points are at a premium, but that might not be The Meta for online play, and I'd like to balance this according to what's going on at the moment.

I'm aware Chaos Power is just a straight up disadvantage in EA until year 3 or 4 because every fucker and their mum runs O3, but it might be a way to make the unrest-causing mechanic in De Dana more interesting on the Fomorians?

(also I am adding an H1 priest, the ability to cast national versions of Power/Defence of the Sepulchre etc., and slightly more than doubling the cost of the Hermit based on this and other feedback - not sure about adding Barghests and Black Dogs, thoughts?)

I would say a national summons that ressurrects dead sidhe, like Man's. Sidhe soldiers though, instead of the Bean Sidhe's. Or heck, make the slow to recruit ressurrect sidhe warriors, if that is possible. a chaff driven system? That may tweak the playstyle too much for what you are going for.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

I would say a national summons that ressurrects dead sidhe, like Man's. Sidhe soldiers though, instead of the Bean Sidhe's. Or heck, make the slow to recruit ressurrect sidhe warriors, if that is possible. a chaff driven system? That may tweak the playstyle too much for what you are going for.
I dunno, the thing about the faction is that it's deliberately anti-Sidhe.

You could have ghosts of the Daoine Sidhe knocking about like celtic Umbrals, but that's kind of going against the point of the faction, to my mind.

I could make the Captive Sidhe or Fir Bolg able to summon things directly, rather than casting spells; I had a vague idea about making a prophetshape for the Sidhe especially for that purpose, but it's one of those things where it's just stacking up ideas that go against the flavour of the faction and complicate the balance.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is Conquest of Elysium 3 any good?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is Conquest of Elysium 3 any good?

While fun for a number of hours while you try different races and poo poo, I would say it has -worse AI- than Dominions 4. It literally will have armies way bigger than yours thanks to cheats but won't be capable of directing it to your main territory, going back and forth as going crazy about what part has more priority if this tile or that tile.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
It's been ages since I played D3, but picked this up on a sale. Has the AI improved any significantly since the last game, or is singleplayer still an exercise in madness?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

I dunno, the thing about the faction is that it's deliberately anti-Sidhe.

You could have ghosts of the Daoine Sidhe knocking about like celtic Umbrals, but that's kind of going against the point of the faction, to my mind.

I could make the Captive Sidhe or Fir Bolg able to summon things directly, rather than casting spells; I had a vague idea about making a prophetshape for the Sidhe especially for that purpose, but it's one of those things where it's just stacking up ideas that go against the flavour of the faction and complicate the balance.

Oh, I definitely get the anti-sidhe bit; that was why I figured enslaving the spirits and corpses of your tormentors would fall in with that. Right now I try to think "Ok, I'm fighting against (X), what do I need to be wary about?" For example, with Arco it would be allowing them to research too much, with Ulm it would be vampires, communions etc, Rlyeh it would be Dom pushes, etc. With De Dana it would be "Ok, be careful of their old unrest men" and that's it. Yea, they have solid push in terms of soldiers, their mage corps is solid, but the nation doesn't have much to offer in insanity to my deity inspired madman who wishes to control the heavens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

Oh, I definitely get the anti-sidhe bit; that was why I figured enslaving the spirits and corpses of your tormentors would fall in with that. Right now I try to think "Ok, I'm fighting against (X), what do I need to be wary about?" For example, with Arco it would be allowing them to research too much, with Ulm it would be vampires, communions etc, Rlyeh it would be Dom pushes, etc. With De Dana it would be "Ok, be careful of their old unrest men" and that's it. Yea, they have solid push in terms of soldiers, their mage corps is solid, but the nation doesn't have much to offer in insanity to my deity inspired madman who wishes to control the heavens.
The thing you have to keep in mind with De Dana is that they have an incredibly wide range of paths open to them, all to quite a high degree. Same as Asphodel in that respect, albeit with less wanton bullshit and a much lower and less focussed gem income because it's LA.

Having mages with native N3E1 and others with E2D3 (actually up to D4 on a 2.5% random, but I'm not even counting that) means you have access to every path in the game eventually, and if you empower an N3 Captive Sidhe into Death and can give her +2N than you're also looking at Lamia Queens for pretty plausible D4 or D2B2 (for a Black Book of Secrets) to break into Tarts.

Most LA nations don't have that to the same degree, and their troops can also often run into big problems later on because they lack one or more of:

High MR
Strategic mobility
Easy recruitability
Proper buffing mages

Which you don't, because you have MM2 on almost all of your troops, high MR all-round, low resource costs, and enough Air to protect yourself against a bunch of stuff like Earthquake/Flaming Arrows (next patch, anyway), enough Earth to get resistances against a lot of types of damage, and some Nature to buff with other things as and when.

You can't keep that up everywhere on the map all at once, because your A/E/N mages are somewhat frail, StR, and homesick, but it's pretty strong.

• Locked thread