Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Amos is to be applauded for trying to increase his/her knowledge, but the level of analytical knowledge and numeracy on display is depressingly familiar (and depressingly low).

Most of the country thinks this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

I'm sorry if I've missed it, but have you made an honest, thorough search for a better rental? I understand getting frustrated with moving, but it may be your best option.

I use moves as a time to redo my budget and cull some of the crap I no longer need, so that at least the headache ends with simplicity.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
And that's why I'm here right. I might come off like "Hey this is my plan look" but what I'm really looking for is guidance from experienced goons who know far more than I do in this regard.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking at property wise around here. a 625sq ft home with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and no garage is now going for $195,000, for a house built in the 1940's with no major upgrades.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

Wasting posted:

I'm sorry if I've missed it, but have you made an honest, thorough search for a better rental? I understand getting frustrated with moving, but it may be your best option.

I use moves as a time to redo my budget and cull some of the crap I no longer need, so that at least the headache ends with simplicity.

I'm stuck behind a rock and hard place rental wise. Any private renter here will quickly give you the heave-ho from say a basement apartment if they have a friend who needs a place to rent
or some poo poo like that. Grandma can't take of herself anymore? Sorry, need the apartment now.

The buildings owned through businesses are now all selling out to this company called Avenue who wants to have a monopoly on the large rental complexes. They are raising the rent insanely but have no plans to upgrade ANY units whatsoever. To give you an idea of how bad things are. The railing that runs from the side of my balcony to the other has ripped off a part of the wall at one end, the wall has separated from the roof and balcony floor itself. Inside the drywall has massive cracks on all seems running on that wall. The landlord doesn't give a poo poo when I try to explain an entire wall of our building is literally falling off.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Bleu posted:

When did 'buy low, sell high' stop being a thing people understood? I learned that poo poo by playing Drug Wars on my TI-83+ in high school.

Maybe it should be bilingually labelled.

When everyone convinced themselves that real estate isn't in a bubble. When that trope gets too stupid to swallow, they fall back on building equity or "you need a place to live". If you're a real shithead there's always, "renters are scum".

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Amos Moses posted:

And that's why I'm here right. I might come off like "Hey this is my plan look" but what I'm really looking for is guidance from experienced goons who know far more than I do in this regard.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking at property wise around here. a 625sq ft home with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and no garage is now going for $195,000, for a house built in the 1940's with no major upgrades.

That's crazy. Generally speaking, anything built before the 00's is much bigger. How the hell do you fit 2 bedrooms in 600 odd sqft? This is a standalone house?

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Amos Moses posted:

I'm stuck behind a rock and hard place rental wise. Any private renter here will quickly give you the heave-ho from say a basement apartment if they have a friend who needs a place to rent
or some poo poo like that. Grandma can't take of herself anymore? Sorry, need the apartment now.

It sounds like you really believe you have no better option than to buy. I'm not saying it's not true, but I'd encourage you to spend some time each day looking for rentals, even if it means retracing your steps occasionally.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Amos Moses posted:

2 bedrooms in 625 square feet sounds very cramped, but at least you're not looking at a crazy income multiple there. You will probably lose money on the thing if you don't stay in it for at least several years, but you should be able to ride out a crash or period of high interest rates if you don't have any other major debts to service.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp

Cultural Imperial posted:

That's crazy. Generally speaking, anything built before the 00's is much bigger. How the hell do you fit 2 bedrooms in 600 odd sqft? This is a standalone house?

The city was never originally expected to have the expansion it did. They cannot zone eastward on one entire side of the town because o massive petrochemical upgrader..
What new homes are being built are being built southwest of the city core which is swamp-land. Huge developments of $500,000 homes that would cost $220,000 in any sane market that experience extensive flooding and just the general all lovely-ness of living on what used to be a swamp.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

LemonDrizzle posted:

2 bedrooms in 625 square feet sounds very cramped, but at least you're not looking at a crazy income multiple there.

Going from 680 sq ft to 625 isn't a massive drop in livable space. Lots depends on layout as the kitchen sounds terrible in the apartment, it could be better in the house. And if there is a full basement, then it's actually a gain in usable space.

Cultural Imperial posted:

That's a very broad brush you're painting with. Maybe it's true where you live, but it certainly doesn't hold true everywhere. In prairie cities, there are scores of homes in the 600-700 square foot range that were slapped up after World War Two. I've even seen some into the low 500s.

And the bedrooms are no different size in a house of that size than they are in an apartment that size.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Amos Moses posted:

The city was never originally expected to have the expansion it did. They cannot zone eastward on one entire side of the town because o massive petrochemical upgrader..
What new homes are being built are being built southwest of the city core which is swamp-land. Huge developments of $500,000 homes that would cost $220,000 in any sane market that experience extensive flooding and just the general all lovely-ness of living on what used to be a swamp.

On the bright side everyone gets a chance to own premium waterfront property.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Antifreeze Head posted:

Going from 680 sq ft to 625 isn't a massive drop in livable space. Lots depends on layout as the kitchen sounds terrible in the apartment, it could be better in the house. And if there is a full basement, then it's actually a gain in usable space.

That's a very broad brush you're painting with. Maybe it's true where you live, but it certainly doesn't hold true everywhere. In prairie cities, there are scores of homes in the 600-700 square foot range that were slapped up after World War Two. I've even seen some into the low 500s.

And the bedrooms are no different size in a house of that size than they are in an apartment that size.

That's not strictly true. Additional room is needed for things like, say, a water heater and other utilities in a standalone house, that would not be needed in an apartment because it's located in a common area of the building. It may not be a huge difference, mind you. I know all the apartments I've lived in have storage lockers located in a common area as well, but in a house you'd have to take that into account.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

PT6A posted:

That's not strictly true. Additional room is needed for things like, say, a water heater and other utilities in a standalone house, that would not be needed in an apartment because it's located in a common area of the building. It may not be a huge difference, mind you. I know all the apartments I've lived in have storage lockers located in a common area as well, but in a house you'd have to take that into account.

It's really only not true if the house doesn't have a basement as that serves as a home for all the utilities, plus storage. I can only guess that the rest of the prairies are similar to Winnipeg where homes with just a crawlspace are in a very small minority. If basements are more prolific here, it may well be because it's better to send waterlines into a heated basement as it keeps them well below the frost line. Even then, we've had something like 2500-3000 homes and businesses lose their water here because their lines froze.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Antifreeze Head posted:

It's really only not true if the house doesn't have a basement as that serves as a home for all the utilities, plus storage. I can only guess that the rest of the prairies are similar to Winnipeg where homes with just a crawlspace are in a very small minority. If basements are more prolific here, it may well be because it's better to send waterlines into a heated basement as it keeps them well below the frost line. Even then, we've had something like 2500-3000 homes and businesses lose their water here because their lines froze.

Wouldn't a theoretical basement be included in square footage figures? I've never rented/bought a house, so I'm honestly not sure what standard practice is, but I don't know why a basement wouldn't be counted.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

PT6A posted:

Wouldn't a theoretical basement be included in square footage figures? I've never rented/bought a house, so I'm honestly not sure what standard practice is, but I don't know why a basement wouldn't be counted.

Depends on where you're looking. Standard in Toronto is to exclude basement area in size quotes unless it's fully finished / furnished as a rental unit or something like that. In Vancouver it seems more like basements get included most of the time.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Depends on where you're looking. Standard in Toronto is to exclude basement area in size quotes unless it's fully finished / furnished as a rental unit or something like that. In Vancouver it seems more like basements get included most of the time.

That more or less tallies with Edmonton, where unless it's fully finished, it isn't counted, suite or not.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Reading about the market in Winnipeg, and it seems like 20-30s who aren't willing to leverage their future against incredible amounts of personal debt are being priced out of the market completely.

Fixer upper 1000 sq ft houses are regularly going for $25k+ over asking price, and the asking price is already too high for what you're getting. My plan of renting for a while once I return there is starting to look like a much better plan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pacerhimself posted:

Reading about the market in Winnipeg, and it seems like 20-30s who aren't willing to leverage their future against incredible amounts of personal debt are being priced out of the market completely.

Fixer upper 1000 sq ft houses are regularly going for $25k+ over asking price, and the asking price is already too high for what you're getting. My plan of renting for a while once I return there is starting to look like a much better plan.

Also if you do need to buy it makes sense to buy after the bubble assuming you have decent employment.

Never makes sense to buy high given the overinflated nature of Canadian real estate especially in the big population centers.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

Also if you do need to buy it makes sense to buy after the bubble assuming you have decent employment.

Never makes sense to buy high given the overinflated nature of Canadian real estate especially in the big population centers.

Yeah, I'll do the math if things come back down to reality. I can say with absolute certainty that taking on that kind of debt for a house in Winnipeg makes no sense at all, considering the average incomes in the city. It's not sustainable.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

PT6A posted:

It's not counted, though I don't know why exactly (though I suspect it reflects some legislation/regulations) the square footage does not include the basement. So for a house with a full basement, you sorta end up with twice the floor space than what the house has. So far as I know here (Manitoba) you're not even allowed to include a bedroom or bathroom in the basement as one for the purpose of real estate listings.

Just as a guess, it's probably because not all basements are full height. I was in one that seemed only about four feet high. That isn't enough to be usable room-wise, but plenty for storage and putting the hot water heater and whatnot. There's plenty of agents out there that bend the descriptions of things as much as is possible anyway, so it's best there's something (probably in law) that prevents them from calling any room with a bed another bedroom.

I'm less sure but am under the impression that not all floor space above grade is counted either. I think there has to be a maximum ceiling height of six feet or something. That doesn't come up a lot, really only in homes that are one and a half storeys as lots of them have some pretty short walls towards the outside.

pacerhimself posted:

That really depends on the neighbourhood. In Scotia Heights, Wolseley and River Heights that is probably the case, but that's because they are filled with those who will pay a premium to live exclusively next to other white people. Look in Sargent Park, Weston, Brooklands or old Elmwood and you'll usually find stuff going well under 200-thousand dollars and often at or below initial asking price. And you certainly won't be leveraging against your financial future if you buy in the north end where you can get a two storey house on Alfred for $99,900.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Do the basement regulations apply to walk-out levels? Here, it seems like a lot of houses are built on hills, so the "basement" might be a normal floor with a door into the back yard, but underground at one end, and they are often smaller than upper floors in height and area. Houses without those tend to have a proper basement, fully underground, but as often as not they tend to be fully finished and usually a normal, usable part of the home. I can't imagine not counting basement rooms in a property listing, unless there's a massive disconnect between Alberta and other parts of the country on house design.

Edit: most of those basements still have normal ceiling heights, even if the ceilings are lower than in the rest of the house. You can certainly stand up in them easily.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 31, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I know a contractor and his wife who live in a big gently caress off house in kits who have just sold the last of their three investment condos in Vancouver. I don't know what he makes but his wife probably only pulls in 40k. Here's the interesting part : I think they sold their places to get cash for fertility treatments. For such a highly levereged couple, they are renting out basement of their kits house.

Sooo wtf

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/rogerbootle/10733345/Houses-the-greatest-investment-delusion-known-to-man.html

quote:

Then there are the bare facts about recent market performance. Prices have been rising but, outside top-end central London, not by a huge amount. And they are still below their previous peak. What’s more, although mortgage lending is increasing rapidly, it is still low compared to the past. To top it all, the economy is recovering, employment is rising and the squeeze on real earnings is about to end. So why worry?

I’ll tell you why. Affordability is not the be-all and end-all. The fact that it reflects both the average size of mortgages and the interest rates that are paid on those mortgages is a good thing when you are thinking about short-term movements. But, when interest rates are currently well out of their normal range, as they are now, it is a curse. I much prefer the ratio of average house prices to average earnings. That is currently standing well above its long-term average. It is easy to reconcile these conflicting measures. Official interest rates at 0.5pc are at an all-time British low. Yet we all know that at some point they will have to go higher.

Even if, as I believe, they top out much lower than previous peaks, that will still be a major change from the current level. If you assume a mortgage rate of 5pc or 6pc, the ratio of mortgage payments to income would be well above the historical average. What’s more, the historical average has to be interpreted with care. In the bad old inflationary days, a high burden of mortgage debt would soon be relieved by increased pay.

In other words, compared to those days, a given percentage of earnings going on mortgage payments now represents a bigger mortgage burden over the life of a mortgage.

As for the fact that, on average, prices are still not back to their previous peak, the argument turns on what you think of the previous peak. If you think that it represented fair value, then the fact that it has not been regained suggests that current market strength is well-founded.

But the previous peak was the top of the biggest house price boom in this country. After that peak, prices fell a good way but nowhere near enough to bring the market back to fair value. The result is that prices are now rising from a level that was itself much too high, in marked contrast to the United States and also to what happened in this country in the mid-1990s.

Nor is low mortgage lending particularly consoling. With transactions low, mortgage lending should also be low. For a time, a market can levitate as buyers and sellers both expect prices to rise. Indeed, in principle, it can move higher without any transactions taking place and therefore no new lending at all. Moreover, with many youngsters unable to afford to buy even at these low interest rates, their parents often step in to supply the wanted cash.

Housing is a market unlike all others.

For a start, we all have to live somewhere and there is much to be said for the benefits of ownership rather than renting. Second, there are huge tax advantages to owner-occupation. Third, unlike virtually any other asset category, the ordinary person can borrow easily and therefore gear up their investment. Fourth, because of their familiarity with it, people think they understand property in a way that they don’t understand other assets – least of all pensions.

The result is that it is easy to persuade people that property is a one-way bet and for speculative behaviour to take hold. This is happening now. It isn’t only about greed. It is also about fear – the fear that if you don’t buy now, you will never be able to afford to. This feeds on itself and a bubble inflates.

The worst aspect of all this is that although particular individuals become better off as a result, people overall do not. The housing market is the greatest source of investment delusion known to man. As I said a few years ago, people are encouraged to believe in “money for nothing”. As house prices go up, they are led to believe that as a society we are richer and yet if no new assets are produced, clearly we are no richer at all. On the contrary, we would be richer if a prolonged and pronounced building boom caused house prices to fall.

For this you cannot blame Mr and Mrs Average, whether driven by greed or fear. This is the result of a massive failure of public policy: tight control of building land and massive subsidies to home-ownership, combined with a lax immigration policy. I am not saying that each of these is necessarily wrong but the combination of the three has been catastrophic – wasting resources, distorting the economy, leading to misery and frustration for millions of people and diverting their energies into the zero-sum game of climbing the housing ladder.

Politicians are constantly in search of purpose. That is why they meddle in so many things that should not concern them. Yet here is an area where they could have a transformative effect on so many people’s lives. Moreover, what has gone wrong is a direct result of their actions. Will a government ever have the nerve to deliver radical reform? Don’t hold your breath. For the next year or so at least, the housing market is cast in its time-honoured role of creating an illusion of prosperity and helping the governing incumbents to win the next election.

Roger Bootle is managing director of Capital Economics. Contact him on roger.bootle@capitaleconomics.com

It's the Torygraph, one of the worst shills for bullshit Austrian economics but this article actually does a good job explaining why low mortgage payments are a stupid measure of affordability.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just caught up with the thread and now really appreciate my girlfriend and I's housing situation. Her grandparents were moving in with her relatives from the house my girlfriend's great-grandfather had built and my girlfriend's father bought it for us so that it would stay in the family for a relatively low amount of money. Though it has it's problems, we're putting a little bit of money into it to make it last us 5 years, and the property is great (across the street from the ocean (Maritimes), has a nice little brook running beside it, lots of yard/ gardening space).

Our plan once we establish ourselves is to buy a house kit for ~$200,000 after 1) paying her father (the cost of a new 4 Wheeler) and 2) putting down a foundation.

Would house kits go down in price after a housing bubble crashes?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's hard to say but during the housing market crashes of the 80s and 90s,the construction industry went to complete poo poo. Generally speaking unemployment went up as well.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Antifreeze Head posted:

That really depends on the neighbourhood. In Scotia Heights, Wolseley and River Heights that is probably the case, but that's because they are filled with those who will pay a premium to live exclusively next to other white people. Look in Sargent Park, Weston, Brooklands or old Elmwood and you'll usually find stuff going well under 200-thousand dollars and often at or below initial asking price. And you certainly won't be leveraging against your financial future if you buy in the north end where you can get a two storey house on Alfred for $99,900.

I think I'll stay away from anything near Burrows:

http://www.winnipeg.ca/crimestat/

Honestly, I used to live in Transcona, all my friends are living there now, so I'm going to look for something that's easily accessible to that. There is the occasional affordable house that pops up in Transcona that immediately gets snapped up and the northern boundary of Elmwood is not a bad area and has decent priced houses sometimes too.

I am comfortable waiting, even though INTEREST RATES HAVE NEVER BEEN LOWER BUY BUY BUY

Speaking of which, I might have glazed over this if it was linked, but BMO is offering 2.99% mortgage rates, most think it's very temporary:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bmo-s-mortgage-rate-cut-won-t-have-big-impact-on-housing-market-1.2588606

pacerhimself fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 31, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Check out @LJKawa's Tweet: https://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/450612123673296896

quote:

StatsCan: output of RE agents and brokers -4.9% in January, down for 4th consecutive month, as activity in the home resale mkt falls

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I'm quite impressed by LJKawa. He seems a really sharp dude and posts lots of interesting stuff (pity about the fratboy appearance and expression in the photo).

Separately, could someone explain to me why mortgage brokers even exist? I get the impression they are well compensated, and you can't walk past a bus bench without seeing one of their photographs; however, what the hell is their purpose? Financial institutions are competing on a lending rate for the most fungible thing ever - money. It's practically the least subjective transaction one can participate in. Why is this not simply a matter of visiting a website, sorting financial institutions by offered rate, and getting a mortgage through that one? Why does this middleman exist? Genuine question.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Separately, could someone explain to me why mortgage brokers even exist? I get the impression they are well compensated, and you can't walk past a bus bench without seeing one of their photographs; however, what the hell is their purpose? Financial institutions are competing on a lending rate for the most fungible thing ever - money. It's practically the least subjective transaction one can participate in. Why is this not simply a matter of visiting a website, sorting financial institutions by offered rate, and getting a mortgage through that one? Why does this middleman exist? Genuine question.

It is generally a very subjective transaction, at least in a regular environment.

When my wife and I were looking in 2000, we found that we could not even get a bank to talk to us. It was a combination of employment lengths, being (or not) a current customer of the bank and racism. The mortgage broker magically made all of that a non-issue, plus he dealt with all the paperwork.

Considering it doesn't cost me anything, and has no downside I'm aware of I would recommend using one.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 31, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

I'm quite impressed by LJKawa. He seems a really sharp dude and posts lots of interesting stuff (pity about the fratboy appearance and expression in the photo).

Luke Kawa has this odd obsession with Blackberry. Time to take the pony behind the shed. Cmon...

RE mortgage brokers, I'm speculating but it's probably why every other shadow banking system exists - a gap between the market and banking regulations. Otherwise they should be shipped off to an ice floe in the arctic and pushed off into the ocean.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

It is generally a very subjective transaction, at least in a regular environment.

When my wife and I were looking in 2000, we found that we could not even get a bank to talk to us. It was a combination of employment lengths, being (or not) a current customer of the bank and racism. The mortgage broker magically made all of the a non-issue, plus he dealt with all the paperwork.

Considering it doesn't cost me anything, and has no downside I'm aware of I would recommend using one.

If anything, that just confirms my suspicion that this is an entirely broken market then. The bank should either be willing or not to lend to you given your particular circumstances (i.e. risk profile - whether or not those criteria are valid, legal, ethical or moral are of course a separate discussion). I don't see why adding a middleman should change their position on whether you're a worthy credit risk or not. It's not like the broker is assuming the risk of your defaulting, for example.

I definitely take your point that it likely makes sense for any given Canadian buyer in 2014 to use one - my question is more around why they even exist in the system at all.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A broker spends all his time researching mortgages and applying for them, while you might do so once or twice in your life. He'll have relationships with the lenders he work with, so he can bypass some of the initial screenings. They'll also know if there's any quirks in the systems, peculiarities of a given lenders and whatever.

Much like any brokers, really, you're hiring them for the expertise and their network. I assume that much like any other kind of brokers, there are good ones and there are bad ones.

From the lender side, it's a form of customer acquisition outsourcing, I guess.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

A broker spends all his time researching mortgages and applying for them, while you might do so once or twice in your life. He'll have relationships with the lenders he work with, so he can bypass some of the initial screenings. They'll also know if there's any quirks in the systems, peculiarities of a given lenders and whatever.

Much like any brokers, really, you're hiring them for the expertise and their network. I assume that much like any other kind of brokers, there are good ones and there are bad ones.

I guess I come from the point of view that a broker is useful in cases where you have a buyer of a rare thing and a seller of a rare thing. The broker adds economic value by making that relationship happen.

A mortgage is nothing more than money borrowed at a particular rate, and with [highly-regulated] terms attached. It's the exact opposite of a 'rare thing being sold' - bank A's money is just as good as any other bank's money, and they're only really differentiated by their rate - hence my argument that this should be a matter of ranking by cost and starting at the lowest.

Disclaimer: I've never bought property or gone through this process - so I know nothing about it from a practical standpoint. It just seems stupid, as an external party looking-in.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
My sense is that often, the rate(s) the bank posts and they rate they are willing to extend to a potential customer are two different things. The last time I renewed my mortgage we had a long and serious chat about what I expected and what they were willing to offer. My rate was significantly discounted from any posted rate. My wife later puzzled at why I was negotiating over fractions of a percentage, until we got home and I showed her how important that poo poo is in money terms.

A mortgage broker is often able to suss out the best rate possible given the client, and clients often have no loving idea about anything at all other than what type of tiles are going into the kitchen, so it might be advantageous in that regard.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Saltin posted:

My sense is that often, the rate(s) the bank posts and they rate they are willing to extend to a potential customer are two different things. The last time I renewed my mortgage we had a long and serious chat about what I expected and what they were willing to offer. My rate was significantly discounted from any posted rate. My wife later puzzled at why I was negotiating over fractions of a percentage, until we got home and I showed her how important that poo poo is in money terms.

A mortgage broker is often able to suss out the best rate possible given the client, and clients often have no loving idea about anything at all other than what type of tiles are going into the kitchen, so it might be advantageous in that regard.

Interesting point of view. I guess like most things in finance/banking/investing, it may simply boil down to "people aren't that good at math".

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

My husband used to be a mortgage broker in Australia.

Your average idiot has no idea how to look anything up, is buying a house that's worth more than what half the banks are willing to give them, and don't want to go shopping individually at all the other banks to see who will give them a $500,000 mortgage with a $70k combined income, 10k in credit card debt and 2 kids.

Sure, from time to time he would get the odd easy, simple, straightforward mortgage application by someone who was too lazy to just look up the bank rates themselves, but most of the time it's people who have weird situations where only a certain number of mortgage products are the right idea for them that see a mortgage broker.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Why do salespeople of any kind exist? If there were no mortgage brokers the bank would still have to hire someone to sit in an office and listen to you bitch, having a broker effectively working for several banks at once is probably just more efficient.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Why do salespeople of any kind exist?

:ughh:

Way to miss the point entirely. The fungibility of the thing being sold is rather a key issue in my speculation/musing here.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

I guess I come from the point of view that a broker is useful in cases where you have a buyer of a rare thing and a seller of a rare thing. The broker adds economic value by making that relationship happen.

A mortgage is nothing more than money borrowed at a particular rate, and with [highly-regulated] terms attached. It's the exact opposite of a 'rare thing being sold' - bank A's money is just as good as any other bank's money, and they're only really differentiated by their rate - hence my argument that this should be a matter of ranking by cost and starting at the lowest.

Disclaimer: I've never bought property or gone through this process - so I know nothing about it from a practical standpoint. It just seems stupid, as an external party looking-in.

It really probably is pointless as the banks will lend to anyone currently, and you can see it in them terminating their broker programs since they don't need the brokers anymore. Ten or twenty years ago though, they were way more picky. Things they told us included; "you need 10 years employment at your current employer" and "they don't lend to non-current customers". Basically we stopped looking at that point since we could see how it was going to go.

Brokers existing doesn't surprise me after my experience with the banks. They might have been the only realistic method of purchasing a home in the late90-early00s, for those that were under 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

They might have been the only realistic method of purchasing a home in the late90-early00s, for those that were under 40.

I guess I fundamentally don't understand why the involvement of your broker altered the bank's willingness to lend given your otherwise-unchanged situation, as they don't change you as a 'risk' nor bear any of the risk.

But anyway, I've probably derailed this enough with brokerchat...