Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

En Fuego posted:

It looks sort of like gilding to me, which could be a Returned type thing...?

Even so, the designs of the returned all have sculpting that fit in with the Greek myth theme. Nothing about gold-white helix-blade or floaty-metal-hands make me think of Greek design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BJPaskoff posted:

In other news, the Commander tournaments at my LGS keep getting weirder and weirder. It's based on a ~*Sheldon Points*~-like system, and now there's a new rule where if the organizer thinks you're purposefully not winning the game just to accrue more points, he can come over and force you to attack or whatever to win the game. I'm never playing a Commander game with more rules than the official ones (except for a first friendly partial-mulligan, which is just great).

This is exactly why Commander tournaments are stupid.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Edit: Can't wait for spoiler season! Maybe there will be one Modern playable card in JiN.

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 31, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Actually, let's not have The Commander Argument again.

Journey Into Nyx spoilers should be starting, like, this week, right?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

Actually, let's not have The Commander Argument again.

Journey Into Nyx spoilers should be starting, like, this week, right?

I think they officially start in a week, I might be mistaken though. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if something leaks early.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I still have an issue of The Duelist from 1996 or so somewhere, which has a feature about wacky alternate formats people have come up with, and it has the crazy overly-elaborate original rules for Elder Dragon Highlander. I really need to scan it.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Entropic posted:

I still have an issue of The Duelist from 1996 or so somewhere, which has a feature about wacky alternate formats people have come up with, and it has the crazy overly-elaborate original rules for Elder Dragon Highlander. I really need to scan it.

Please scan the whole thing!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

Return to Kamigawa could be pretty awesome. I really enjoyed Kamigawa's flavor but I really didn't play much at the time.

If you read MaRo's blog, it seems extremely unlikely that they'd return to Kamigawa.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

If you read MaRo's blog, it seems extremely unlikely that they'd return to Kamigawa.

I don't remember exactly what he said but he pretty much said the closest thing you could say to "it's never going to happen" without outright saying it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, we're not getting Return To The Block Where The Mechanics Were Roundly Hated And The Flavour Completely Baffled Most of The Playerbase.

If we get another Return To Anywhere it will be Zendikar, New Phyrexia (good guys mounting the invasion for once?) or maaaaybe Alara.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 31, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Return to Zendikar seems pretty plausible to me. Everybody loves full-art basics.

Speaking of Zendikar, though - I wasn't playing then, but I remember something about 'priceless treasures'. What was the deal with those?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a dozen swans posted:

Speaking of Zendikar, though - I wasn't playing then, but I remember something about 'priceless treasures'. What was the deal with those?

Packs had a tiny chance of having old cards in them, including power. I wish they'd expand on that idea and make it permanent with like, Modern / EDH staples or whatever.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Kabanaw posted:

Even so, the designs of the returned all have sculpting that fit in with the Greek myth theme. Nothing about gold-white helix-blade or floaty-metal-hands make me think of Greek design.

They do, however, fit Alara fairly well.

Not that these things are for sure for a return set.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm never playing a Commander game with more rules than the official ones (except for a first friendly partial-mulligan, which is just great).

I used to like the partial mulligan until the one guy started playing Sisay and would just mulligan all the legends so he could tutor for them later while digging for good non-legends. It's incredibly lame. I like scry 2 before deciding to keep a lot better now.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I used to like the partial mulligan until the one guy started playing Sisay and would just mulligan all the legends so he could tutor for them later while digging for good non-legends. It's incredibly lame. I like scry 2 before deciding to keep a lot better now.

My own rule (adopted from my FLGS) is to throw back everything that's not a land or a ramp spell, with some exceptions (generally 1- or 2-drops, and draw spells, or maybe big drops when using a Jhoira deck).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

They do, however, fit Alara fairly well.

Not that these things are for sure for a return set.

Yeah, my first thought when seeing them was Alara too. Was Alara popular enough for a revisit?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Isn't Alara one big plane now? I'm not up on my Lore, what was Nicky da B's endgame there?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The next set needs to be a Vikings related set, or something other than RETURN TO NOSTALGIAPLANE~~ which could get old pretty fast.

I mean, Zendikar was great, but it wasn't that long ago that the set was standard legal, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wasn't saying we're returning anywhere soon, just that if and when we return anywhere it will probably be Zendikar.

And we're never going back to Kawigama. The closest you'll ever get is the occasional one-off reference like Tammy Moonsocks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gyshall posted:

The next set needs to be a Vikings related set, or something other than RETURN TO NOSTALGIAPLANE~~ which could get old pretty fast.

I mean, Zendikar was great, but it wasn't that long ago that the set was standard legal, right?

It was 5 years ago, when Mirrodin and Ravnica took 7 I think.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The real plot twist with the next setting will be that you were on Kamigawa all along!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Zoness posted:

The real plot twist with the next setting will be that you were on Kamigawa all along!

Inside of a sno-globe which is inside of St. Elsewhere which is inside of a sno-globe.

If don't get this reference, you're probably too young.

I'm old. :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Isn't Alara one big plane now? I'm not up on my Lore, what was Nicky da B's endgame there?

Eating the plane's mana like delicious, magical candy when it all converged in the conflux.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 31, 2014

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Entropic posted:

This is exactly why Commander tournaments are stupid.

You can hold a real Commander tournament if it's 1-on-1 with the French banlist. Anything else is just asking for trouble though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's the state of Dominaria these days? I remember it was sort of Generic Fantasyland and then Urza hosed it up enough to cause an Ice Age, then I took about a 14 year break from magic and apparently it's a blasted hellscape now because it got smashed into other planes and something something Phyrexia and then time travel messed everything up?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Entropic posted:

It is. Bolas harvested the mana that was coalescing in the center of the shards reconverging. His end game was just recharging his batteries, basically. It worked. Last we saw Alara it was in an all-out global war as Grixis's undead hordes run rampant.

Entropic posted:

What's the state of Dominaria these days? I remember it was sort of Generic Fantasyland and then Urza hosed it up enough to cause an Ice Age, then I took about a 14 year break from magic and apparently it's a blasted hellscape now because it got smashed into other planes and something something Phyrexia and then time travel messed everything up?

It's still recovering from the temporal bullshit that happened on it. The hellscape is because of the repeated apocalypses that Dominaria had due to being the focalpoint of the storyline for like 15 years.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Inside of a sno-globe which is inside of St. Elsewhere which is inside of a sno-globe.

If don't get this reference, you're probably too young.

I'm old. :(

I'm 22 and got it, that's one of the most famous twists in TV.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title

Promoted Pawn posted:

You can hold a real Commander tournament if it's 1-on-1 with the French banlist. Anything else is just asking for trouble though.

Just played in one of these on Friday and had a blast, it is too bad we don't get a huge turnout for these. We only had 8 players instead of the normal 15-20 we would get on a standard/draft night. Highlights were seeing a Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck slap down a Army of the Damned, sac all the tokens and fly for commander lethal only to have my bitch rear end Swords the poor thing. I think I destroyed the poor guy's will to live. Friend beat me down in the finals with a Kaalia of the Vast deck, Thoughtsiezed me T1 on both of his wins to take out my only removal in hand each time :( I was playing Uril, the Miststalker Voltron, but the deck had not been updated in over a year, so I was missing out on a lot of good stuff that would have made it more competitive. Will have to update it when possible.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Chorocojo posted:

It is. Bolas harvested the mana that was coalescing in the center of the shards reconverging. His end game was just recharging his batteries, basically. It worked. Last we saw Alara it was in an all-out global war as Grixis's undead hordes run rampant.
It kinda worked. Ajani's use of the leftovers to set a copy of Bolas on himself looks like it hurt Bolas enough that he still hasn't got back to proper oldwalker status like he should have. And he never came back to eat the rest of Alara like Ajani thought he would.

You can't tell much about the war's end or if it did at all. The prime movers and power centres, ie the planeswalkers, on each side disappeared. Naya looks like it's getting back together right at the finish, and Bant still has Rafiq and enough breathing space to make a fuss of him. Grixis' big nonplaneswalker general is dead too. So it's basically inconclusive.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Elyv posted:

About the only thing Rosewater will give a more direct "no" to than "Return to Kamigawa" is abolishing the reserved list, and that's at least partly because he's admitted he's not allowed to say much more than "no" about abolishing the reserved list.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Imagine just trying to be a cabbage farmer or something on Dominaria with the sky constantly falling on your head.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Entropic posted:

Imagine just trying to be a cabbage farmer or something on Dominaria with the sky constantly falling on your head.

Fortunately for them the 11 or so apocali that've happened on Dominaria occured over like 4,000 years. Most only lived during one, maybe two, end-of-the-worlds.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Look if we don't get a steam punk set where I can assemble contraptions soon I might have to rethink my hobby.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I'm trying to get back into Magic after not playing for quite a few years. I played back when it first came out until 6th or 7th edition. My brother was kind enough to sell all my cards (had some Beta, poo poo ton of Unlimited, lots of dual lands) like 5 years ago so I'm starting out from scratch.

On a whim after getting an urge to play I bought the 5 premade Magic 2014 decks on Amazon (came with 2 boosters each) and some boosters for my wife and I. Local store does standard each week for Friday Night Magic and booster draft tournaments on Thursdays. I figure I can give the drafts a go and maybe try modifying one of the premade decks into something usable for FNM. Any suggestions or things to look out for for someone just coming back?

Hey I'm not sure why everyone ignored your post. Anyways, my suggestion for you is to try out a number of different things, hopefully without spending too much money, and see what you find most fun. Also probably keep a budget in mind.

For me I'm almost exclusively a limited player. Some people enjoy edh with the same group of people just bulshitting around each week. Others like fnm level constructed where you can put your own brew together, and others like following the metagame and playing highly tuned constructed decks, perhaps changing week to week.

In general the OP has it right:
- For building up a collection, try and find entire common & uncommon playsets of expansions for cheap, then fill out the single rares you need to complete decks
- Or, draft with an eye to the rares you want to keep
- Buy a box to support your flgs if you want, but try and do something with the packs rather than simply busting them just to see the rare

In general as I said at the beginning people are very biased and like to poo poo over everything that's not their favourite (notice the endless standard/modern/legacy what is best arguments), so try it all out for yourself if at all possible.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Elyv posted:

Oh that sucks to hear. Do you have a link to that specific blog post?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

This isn't quite what you're asking about, but it does kinda show why Kamigawa is unlikely to be revisited.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/57048601364/i-think-another-way-to-ask-what-went-wrong-with

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I doubt it would ever happen, but I'd love to see a block where the Phyrexians battle the Eldrazi. Everyone loves the episodes where Skeletor and He-Man team up to fight an truly evil dude.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Look if we don't get a steam punk set where I can assemble contraptions soon I might have to rethink my hobby.

Isn't that basically what Warhammer is?

whydirt posted:

I doubt it would ever happen, but I'd love to see a block where the Phyrexians battle the Eldrazi. Everyone loves the episodes where Skeletor and He-Man team up to fight an truly evil dude.

You know that would just end up with Emrakaul adding Infect to his text box and no one wants that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but Kamigawa block had wonderful jokes like:

"Look, You gotta pitcher on this team?"
"Sure."
"Her familiar's name?"
"Tomorrow."

Also Sickening Shoal and Hideous Laughter and being able to pitch Hideous Laughter and Splice that same Hideous Laughter on Sickening Shoal were sweet interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Just give it a week and somebody will ask him again.

• Locked thread