Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Wow, there's that French/Acadian influence for you.

And in more recent times, Vietnamese Catholics due to religion and climate compatiblity. Anh Cao, for instance, is the first Vietnamese-American elected to congress and he's from New Orleans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

Louisiana is incredibly Catholic to the point where it doesn't have counties like the rest of the US, it has Parishes.

Count Roland posted:

Wow, there's that French/Acadian influence for you.
For the same reason, they also don't use a purely Common Law system like much of the Anglophone world, using a mixed Civil/Common system (like Quebec and Scotland).

Pink is Common Law, Blue Civil Law, Yellow Sharia Law, and Brown is a mixed mixed system.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Huh. You'd think of all places South Africa and Israel would be against mixing.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Why's Scotland have civil law? Because of the Auld Alliance? Thought that was pretty much kaput by Bonaparte's time.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Scotland seems to have a mixed system.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You could almost shade the USA its own colour, its common law system has evolved very differently to the Commonwealth's.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Interesting that civil law seems to be the default for most nations, even those that had no obvious ties to Rome, while the exceptions are mostly England + former colonies and big parts of the Muslim world.

I wonder why Japan and Iraq have civil law, one would think that the US would have brought common law there. On the other hand they were wise enough not to export their presidential system to post-war Japan and Germany, so who knows.

And is that Hong Kong under common law in China?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, HK has common law and the Basic Law (Hong Kong's constitution) requires that half the judges must come from Commonwealth countries in order to safeguard judicial independence from the mainland's meddling.

edit: is that Pakistan/Bangladesh contrast accurate? I understand that Pakistan is an Islamic Republic and Bangladesh is a secular People's Republic. Seems weird that the former would use common law and the latter sharia.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Interesting that civil law seems to be the default for most nations, even those that had no obvious ties to Rome, while the exceptions are mostly England + former colonies and big parts of the Muslim world.

I wonder why Japan and Iraq have civil law, one would think that the US would have brought common law there. On the other hand they were wise enough not to export their presidential system to post-war Japan and Germany, so who knows.

Common law descended from medieval Germanic and Anglo-Saxon law codes. Civil law descended from the legal system of the late Roman Empire. Most medieval European states were ruled by an aristocracy descended from Germanic invaders, and those states generally used a mixture of civil and common law. Eventually as the legal systems got more complex and refined they dropped the traditional common law parts. Importantly, Napoleon reformed the legal code of France in 1804, and this code was basically copied by all continental European states, including Prussia/Germany after unification, and Japan during the Meji reforms in the late 1800s.

The US set Germany and Japan up with standard-issue contemporary European parliamentary systems, basically, we didn't force them to model their governments after our 200 year old constitution and jury-rigged, thousand year old legal system. Same goes for Iraq.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Bloodnose posted:

edit: is that Pakistan/Bangladesh contrast accurate? I understand that Pakistan is an Islamic Republic and Bangladesh is a secular People's Republic. Seems weird that the former would use common law and the latter sharia.
The map appears to be in error. Bangladesh uses common law, not sharia.
E: However, like Pakistan and India, Bangladesh has personal laws which are a remnant of the colonial era and are based on religious law and other customs.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 31, 2014

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Torrannor posted:

It'd be basically impossible to set up a common law system from scratch without being a colony for a significant period of time. If you want to be pure common law you'd have to import a body of case law from some country, England and Wales being the popular choice, wholesale and then probably keep following developments in that case law for ~100 years until you have a critical mass of your own. Along with that to start you'd have to import judges who are familiar enough with the system to run it for the next 30-40 years until you have enough experienced lawyers of your own. Also, and the reason South Africa and Quebec, for instance, are not common law, is that you have to be willing to displace whatever pre-existing legal system you had almost entirely. South Africa kept a bedrock of Dutch-Roman law at least for things like property, which makes sense because it would be nuts to try to completely rethink land ownership across an entire country when you already have a developed land ownership system in place.

By contrast, to implement some civil law system you just need to adopt a codification and then direct judges to apply the codification. Judges don't have the power to alter the code at their discretion so you can be less worried about them. This is why, I guess, in civil law countries people can be judges straight out of law school. You'd still have to train the judiciary but that could involve sending a bunch to school in Germany and doesn't necessary require 30+ years of experience just to implement. I'm certain to run a civil law system well requires extensive experience, but you could run it poorly with a minimal amount of lead time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So how does common law work basically? Laws are based on precedents?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Kurtofan posted:

So how does common law work basically? Laws are based on prejudice?

I misread that at first glance.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Kurtofan posted:

So how does common law work basically? Laws are based on precedents?

In the absence of a statute on point or a constitutional right that dictates, you look to past decisions to guide future ones. Higher courts trump lower courts, which is why whenever the Supreme Court says something in the US it's a big deal-- their decisions are binding precedent on every other court in the country. (Mostly.)

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A map of people who don't believe past sins (debts) can be paid off by confessing them to a man who professionally molests little boys. :smug:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Scandinavians are the smuggest people on Earth.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Doesn't the S&P give AAA ratings to countries who are most likely to sacrifice their citizens to their weird blood god or whatever?

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Why's Scotland have civil law? Because of the Auld Alliance? Thought that was pretty much kaput by Bonaparte's time.

Scotland has had its own system from the start, but was heavily influnced throughout by England and the continent.

Scotland tried to set things up a bit like the English. However, it didn't have the same level of centralisation that England did after the norman invasion, so it wasn't nearly as precocious or resistent to external influence. When the Roman reception really kicked into gear with the rediscovery of Justinian's Digest in Italy, it became integrated into a lot of European legal thinking. Scottish students would usually be studying in Italy or France, so we adopted it (English legal education didn't take place in universities). The canon law also had a significant role throughout. Everything was pretty much brought together by institutional writers like Stair a century before the napoleonic codifications.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Phlegmish posted:

BOYAAH! Number one again baby

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

It's easy to look down on others when you're taller than them. (Dutch people :getout:)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

For the same reason, they also don't use a purely Common Law system like much of the Anglophone world, using a mixed Civil/Common system (like Quebec and Scotland).

Pink is Common Law, Blue Civil Law, Yellow Sharia Law, and Brown is a mixed mixed system.

Looks like the Common Law,

:frogc00l:

isn't so common.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Phlegmish posted:

Only on the internet, though.

Also I think you meant Nordics. :smug:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Look at this guy being jealous of our not-hosed (yet) economy. :smuggo:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I do enjoy the absence of Iceland in the top map.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

I do enjoy the absence of Iceland in the top map.

Including Iceland and its ponzi scheme-based economy would ruin the übermenschen narrative. :v:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Phlegmish posted:

Including Iceland and its ponzi scheme-based economy would ruin the übermenschen narrative. :v:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9311_Icelandic_financial_crisis

quote:

By mid-2012 Iceland was regarded as one of Europe's recovery success stories. It has had two years of economic growth. Unemployment was down to 6.3% and Iceland was attracting immigrants to fill jobs. Currency devaluation effectively reduced wages by 50% making exports more competitive and imports more expensive. Ten year government bonds were issued below 6%, lower than some of the PIIGS nations in the EU (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece, and Spain). Tryggvi Thor Herbertsson, a member of parliament, noted that adjustments via currency devaluations are less painful than government labor policies and negotiations. Nevertheless, while EU fervor has cooled the government continued to pursue membership.

According to Bloomberg, Iceland is on the trajectory of 2% unemployment as a result of crisis-management decisions made back in 2008, including allowing the banks to fail.

You were saying? :smugbert:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Real wages dropped by 50%? Holy poo poo.

I guess the lesson is that austerity 'works'.

e: apparently it's nominal wages, that was confusingly worded.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 31, 2014

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Looks like this guy was on to something: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Weber

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Phlegmish posted:

Real wages dropped by 50%? Holy poo poo.

I guess the lesson is that austerity 'works'.

e: apparently it's nominal wages, that was confusingly worded.

Or, don't bail out the banks.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Clapham Omnibus posted:

Hm, I don't know.

Unemployment in Germany

Religion in Germany (yellow=Catholic, Purple=Protestant, Blue=no religion)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The choice was to go bankrupt as a country and go deep in debt to the Worldbank/IMF to pay off stupid Dutch and British banks OR let stupid Icelandic bank go bankrupt and tell the Dutch and British to gently caress off for a few years of inconvenience.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Clapham Omnibus posted:

Yeah, but he was talking specifically about Calvinism. If you're going to be Protestant you should be Calvinist at the very least, and preferably a member of some crazy denomination that believes it's a lost tribe of Israel or something. I don't know what the point is of being Lutheran. And don't get me started on Anglicanism, they shouldn't even be considered Protestant.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, but he was talking specifically about Calvinism. If you're going to be Protestant you should be Calvinist at the very least, and preferably a member of some crazy denomination that believes it's a lost tribe of Israel or something. I don't know what the point is of being Lutheran. And don't get me started on Anglicanism, they shouldn't even be considered Protestant.
The point of being a Lutheran is rising above the antisemitic roots of your religion/not going to church.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Hm, I don't know.

Unemployment in Germany

The correlation is non-existent in the Low Countries as well.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The point of being a Lutheran is rising above the antisemitic roots of your religion/not going to church.

What do you know, I've got a map for that as well! :v:

Church attendance on Sundays in Germany. This time: purple=Catholic (per diocese), blue=Protestant (per state). The difference is quite striking!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Anglicanism: Invented so the King was able to divorce and marry whom he wanted for an heir, yet killed his wives anyway.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

System Metternich posted:

Hm, I don't know.

Unemployment in Germany

Clearly that just means those despicable atheists are holding us back.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

While I don't think that Weber's thesis on Protestantism being beneficial in a capitalist society still applies to today, there used to be a certain correlation between wealth and denomination in earlier times. There are travelogues from the 19th century by early tourists wandering through Switzerland; they almost uniformly note that the difference between Protestant villages were striking, even on a visual level: Protestant villages had nice houses, comparatively small families in good clothes and a good (for the circumstances) education for its inhabitants, whereas Catholic ones were said to sport shabby huts with leaking roofs and poor, uneducated families with a zillion children. The same difference (though not as big) can be stated for baroque Germany: Protestant Germany was where most of the money, the education and the literature was - it's not surprising that the Enlightenment in Germany was an almost exclusively Protestant affair. Catholic areas, on the other hand, featured a great wealth in the visual arts: you didn't write as a Catholic (except homilies and the like), you were an architect, a painter, a mason etc. instead. Catholic farmers and craftsmen had much more free time than their Protestant counterparts, due to the vast number of holidays (in some areas, farmers were forbidden to tend to their fields for a full third of the year) and whatever existed as social security (mostly charitable donations) during that time worked much better in Catholic areas. Catholic states were less likely to wage war (with the exception of Austria and Bavaria, virtually every Catholic army was mostly for show) as well.

But then again, this only applies to Central Europe, where the different denominations had to coexist in close proximity to each other. Southern European Catholicism is an entirely different beast, for example, and it's hard to draw parallels. The same goes for France, which for centuries walked down its own path, quite distinct from the rest of Catholic Europe and in many regards much closer to the Protestant states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
BBC's In Our Time podcast latest episode is on Max Weber's thesis btw.