Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brannock posted:

The third panel reads almost like a rap.

You fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I like how Forge's anger not only literally heats him up, it also turns his speech bubble red. I wonder what a fire-breathing accent sounds like.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fecha posted:

I like how Forge's anger not only literally heats him up, it also turns his speech bubble red. I wonder what a fire-breathing accent sounds like.

His Sean Connery accent becomes more and more pronounced.

Alternatively, he becomes more and more like Gilbert Gottfried, and that's why Spender is trying and failing not to laugh in the last panel.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

You fucker.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So ignoring the dumb stuff in this thread - we now know that Forge at least used to be much like Spender, and believe in the greater good, but seems to have learned his lesson, and is really mad at Spender for making the same mistakes.

Judging by how he has already used murderspeak, I'm guessing he ended up getting people important to him killed at some point, or even killed them himself.

Now the question is, has he moved from 'greater good' to being good, or has he just embraced his evil? Or does he think he's realized the folly of greater good, and not realize that teaching Spender instead of chasing the train down himself is failing at exactly what he's preaching?

I think if the next page or two is him going 'oh gently caress this is a waste of time' and chasing the train then that'd be 'good', but if he doesn't then it provides a more interesting twist on the wise spirit not actually seeing his own faults.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
The way Forge gives his speech, it almost sounds like he knows exactly what his failings are but can't help but keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Possibly in a "well, I'm already this far, I can't exactly turn back now," sort of way.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Probably whatever his mission is here is out of penance, so his "I have a debt that must be paid" is not a LITERAL debt but he thinks whatever presumably the doorman's master wants him to do will make up for his past fuckups, or at least help.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

KittyEmpress posted:

So ignoring the dumb stuff in this thread - we now know that Forge at least used to be much like Spender, and believe in the greater good, but seems to have learned his lesson, and is really mad at Spender for making the same mistakes.

Judging by how he has already used murderspeak, I'm guessing he ended up getting people important to him killed at some point, or even killed them himself.

Now the question is, has he moved from 'greater good' to being good, or has he just embraced his evil? Or does he think he's realized the folly of greater good, and not realize that teaching Spender instead of chasing the train down himself is failing at exactly what he's preaching?

I think if the next page or two is him going 'oh gently caress this is a waste of time' and chasing the train then that'd be 'good', but if he doesn't then it provides a more interesting twist on the wise spirit not actually seeing his own faults.

Sounds like Forge has a low opinion of himself, or at least a lot of regrets. This would also explain why he even tried to command the pixel dogs; he thought his past evil deeds made him evil.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Desuwa posted:

Sounds like Forge has a low opinion of himself, or at least a lot of regrets. This would also explain why he even tried to command the pixel dogs; he thought his past evil deeds made him evil.

Considering that he can speak even just a word of murderskull language, he doesn't just think he's evil, but he's actually done some vile act in the past.

So he might have a point.

Also, he's lecturing Spender and saying things like "What's YOUR excuse" but if he really felt that the whole for the greater good thing was actually just evil all dolled up, he'd go after the kids himself. He seems to regret that he put children in danger, but he doesn't do a drat thing to stop it. He's probably exactly as evil as he thinks he is.

Slime fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 29, 2014

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slime posted:

Considering that he can speak even just a word of murderskull language, he doesn't just think he's evil, but he's actually done some vile act in the past.

Also, he's lecturing Spender and saying things like "What's YOUR excuse" but if he really felt that the whole for the greater good thing was actually just evil all dolled up, he'd go after the kids himself. He seems to regret that he put children in danger, but he doesn't do a drat thing to stop it. He's probably exactly as evil as he thinks he is.
He hasn't had a chance to, really. At first he assumed Spender was going to do it, then Spender was (rather ineffectually) trying to kill him, and now he's busy monologuing. The only one of these that really reflects badly on him is the monologuing, and that's not so much evil as ~anime~

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Splicer posted:

He hasn't had a chance to, really. At first he assumed Spender was going to do it, then Spender was (rather ineffectually) trying to kill him, and now he's busy monologuing. The only one of these that really reflects badly on him is the monologuing, and that's not so much evil as ~anime~

Since when has the risk of dying in the attempt stopped someone from trying to save someone else? Forge is just kind of a bad person. He regrets putting children in danger, but now that it's in motion he does nothing to stop it. His own hide is worth more to him. At least Spender hasn't saved them because of the greater good. What's Forge's excuse?

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
I bet that's the reason spender is chuckling in the last panel. He's about to say the same thing.

"I cant save them right now. You've got me pinned to the ground and lecturing me. You could. What's your excuse?"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I'm also wondering if Spender's decision not to save the kids was actually "for the greater good". Isabelle, Ed and Isaac have been in the Activity Club for a while now, and he knows their capabilities. Ed dispatched the frogwhale spirit pretty quickly. Those three aren't completely helpless. Maybe he just thinks that they can at the very least survive (and keep Max alive) until he's taken care of the Forge situation.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Every time someone says "the greater good" this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUpbOliTHJY) happens in my head. Every time. It's really ruining the seriousness.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slime posted:

Since when has the risk of dying in the attempt stopped someone from trying to save someone else?
I didn't mean he wasn't doing it because he might die, I meant he didn't do it because he was actually incapable of doing so due to Spender's interference (or at least felt he would be). It's logistically difficult to dash off after a train of kids when The Ultimate Spectral is actively trying to murder you. Spender doesn't have that excuse, since Forge made it perfectly clear that he was free to go.

heenato posted:

I bet that's the reason spender is chuckling in the last panel. He's about to say the same thing.

"I cant save them right now. You've got me pinned to the ground and lecturing me. You could. What's your excuse?"
Also this. Forge is now capable of doing something about his mistake, but is too busy pontificating. Once this is pointed out to him his actions will say whether he's evil or just kind of a goofus.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Splicer posted:

I didn't mean he wasn't doing it because he might die, I meant he didn't do it because he was actually incapable of doing so due to Spender's interference (or at least felt he would be). It's logistically difficult to dash off after a train of kids when The Ultimate Spectral is actively trying to murder you. Spender doesn't have that excuse, since Forge made it perfectly clear that he was free to go.
Also this. Forge is now capable of doing something about his mistake, but is too busy pontificating. Once this is pointed out to him his actions will say whether he's evil or just kind of a goofus.

Forge could also just not be fast enough to catch up with the train so isn't bothering to try. It isn't like we've seen him in a hurry yet.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Slime posted:

All I can imagine with his vile act that made him decide he was evil and that the Greater Good was bad is something along the lines of the D&D 'apocalypse baby' scenario. Which is to say, even if a baby is 100% confirmed by every god to in the future lead to the apocalypse, killing it is an Evil act, which will cause paladins and good clerics to fall from grace with their god, and everyone to shift from good to evil.

He did some vile evil act because he thought it would be good (end justifies the means), and then either saw that it failed to help or just couldn't stand his own stupidity in thinking that being evil would ever aid good. But in true anime fashion, him doing something evil meant he was now evil.

He may not believe he's good anymore - even if he feels regrets and the like, he's been TAINTED by evil, which means he surely can't be good :v:. Thus why he tried to order the dogs who follow the evilist, and then let the kids go without saving them. He has a strong sense of morality, but that doesn't mean he has to follow it, or that he believes himself to be a good person anymore.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I'm disappointed Spender hasn't gone with a simple "You talk too much." There's still time though!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Every time someone says "the greater good" this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUpbOliTHJY) happens in my head. Every time. It's really ruining the seriousness.
Greater good? I am your wife! I am the greatest good you are ever gonna get!

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Also reminds me of A Series of Unfortunate Events where the antagonists keep settings homes, hospitals, and pretty much everything on fire in the name of "the greater good*."

* Making money

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheDemon posted:

I'm disappointed Spender hasn't gone with a simple "You talk too much." There's still time though!

Saitama, the actual ultimate spectral

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Forge's "I didn't know there were children on board" is so dishonest. It's a train. It could be carrying hundreds of people. You didn't know there weren't children and you didn't care.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Heavy Zed posted:

Forge's "I didn't know there were children on board" is so dishonest. It's a train. It could be carrying hundreds of people. You didn't know there weren't children and you didn't care.

It's also a loving ghost train that's actually a 'living' being and not a machine made to be mass transport. I'm not sure you can have the same assumptions about the two.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Fair. On the other hand, the train feels pain so it shouldn't matter if there are passengers?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Heavy Zed posted:

Fair. On the other hand, the train feels pain so it shouldn't matter if there are passengers?
Stabbing a giant train ghost, or a stabbing train ghost with adults inside, is different from stabbing a giant train ghost with children inside. Most people don't like putting children in danger.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I just realised Max is falling around the place like an idiot in a giant metal tube. He is the worst magnet power guy ever.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I'm pretty sure Spender's about to say he abandoned his kids because he knows they can take care of themselves. Jump cut to a dog eating Eightfold's book. Bad dog. (Cat?)

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Splicer posted:

I just realised Max is falling around the place like an idiot in a giant metal tube. He is the worst magnet power guy ever.

It's ok because in a few seconds the train's downward momentum is going to match Max's and Isabel's and they'll be weightless.

And plummeting through the earth's crust.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Important: https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/450159715050606592/photo/1

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Splicer posted:

Stabbing a giant train ghost, or a stabbing train ghost with adults inside, is different from stabbing a giant train ghost with children inside. Most people don't like putting children in danger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0WdJx-Wkw

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fecha posted:

I'm pretty sure Spender's about to say he abandoned his kids because he knows they can take care of themselves. Jump cut to a dog eating Eightfold's book. Bad dog. (Cat?)
Well... You're at least half-right.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fecha posted:

I'm watching you.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Arrange it so you get beaten by an old man if we ever turn evil is something everyone should do.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Oh Spender. When you get called out that doesnt mean you should double down on being stupid.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Man so Spender doesn't even use the ACTUAL argument "why haven't YOU gone and saved them?" its "oh YEAH? well where were your 'ethics' when you did something unhelpful to my interests, huh?"

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Spender status: more evil than the talking anvil that shoots fire.

But they're still both dorks so I guess it evens out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

reignonyourparade posted:

Man so Spender doesn't even use the ACTUAL argument "why haven't YOU gone and saved them?" its "oh YEAH? well where were your 'ethics' when you did something unhelpful to my interests, huh?"

No he has a point. You don't get to be all self righteous about doing the right thing 15 seconds after maiming a living being in order to (attempt to) make a getaway.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

No he has a point. You don't get to be all self righteous about doing the right thing 15 seconds after maiming a living being in order to (attempt to) make a getaway.

It's kind of both ways on this one. Forge didn't know there were kids on the train until after he sent it rampaging, and he assumed that Spender would be more interested in his only means of transportation than on stray poltergeist. And the train is still a spirit so it's not like he maimed an actual human or something and tried to force a dilema of "do I take them to get healing or stay and fight" onto Spender. It's putting the needs of the many vs the needs of the few on both cases. But I'm inclined to agree with Forge here only because we are privy to the fact that those pixel beasts can re-spawn, I don't think Spender is even aware of that fact. Forge was acting desperate because he was told that Spender would be the one to end him and he knows that darker forces are at play. Spender thinks that Forge is that darker force and is acting accordingly.

From a story perspective both characters are acting logically for the greater good, it's just the case that right now Spender is more blinded by his own sense of justice than Forge appears too be. Forge did warn him of the monster's deceit and Spender chose to ignore that and instead fight the evil(?) spirit. I mean when a guy tells me that we've both been had and that he wants me to step aside to attack some unknown thing behind me, I can understand feeling like this is a trap but Forge clearly communicated that he didn't want a fight and Spender forced the issue.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah, Spender's argument is basically A. Saving Mayview may require unpleasant actions (possibly true but also exactly what he's being warned about by the rear end in a top hat old man and Forge), B. That the kids can take care of themselves (maybe), and C. Forge is a huge hypocrite (100% accurate).

Brought To You By posted:

It's kind of both ways on this one. Forge didn't know there were kids on the train until after he sent it rampaging, and he assumed that Spender would be more interested in his only means of transportation than on stray poltergeist. And the train is still a spirit so it's not like he maimed an actual human or something and tried to force a dilema of "do I take them to get healing or stay and fight" onto Spender. It's putting the needs of the many vs the needs of the few on both cases. But I'm inclined to agree with Forge here only because we are privy to the fact that those pixel beasts can re-spawn, I don't think Spender is even aware of that fact. Forge was acting desperate because he was told that Spender would be the one to end him and he knows that darker forces are at play. Spender thinks that Forge is that darker force and is acting accordingly.

From a story perspective both characters are acting logically for the greater good, it's just the case that right now Spender is more blinded by his own sense of justice than Forge appears too be. Forge did warn him of the monster's deceit and Spender chose to ignore that and instead fight the evil(?) spirit. I mean when a guy tells me that we've both been had and that he wants me to step aside to attack some unknown thing behind me, I can understand feeling like this is a trap but Forge clearly communicated that he didn't want a fight and Spender forced the issue.

Forge is also a spirit, though, so that point is kind of silly. If it were just "humans > spirits" Forge wouldn't be attacking Spender at all. Forge maimed a being like himself, and one that may or may not have had others on it as well, so that he could get away. Even ignoring the Ghost Train's sentience and possible sapience, though, Forge derailed a train and his justification is "well I didn't know there were kids on that train".

As for attacking Forge, well, Spender saw the pixeldog bowing to him, which of course what the thing was going for, and saying that Spender chose to ignore Forge's warning is basically saying that he should have trusted the guy he, well, saw some evil thing bow to. While we, the readers, know that Spender's been tricked, you're basically saying he should trust some weird spirit over what he saw himself; while it was funny and made Spender look dumb, "look behind you" really wasn't the best argument in a fight either.

Which is not to say Spender's right or anything, but given the situation not trusting Forge is honestly pretty reasonable. Even if it was immensely frustrating to watch him not see that drat dogcat.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Mofo wasn't even trying to make a gateway. He literally just tore a gash in the train to intimidate Spender. "Hey look I can gently caress up this thing you were using maybe you'd better run. What, there were kids on there? Well why didn't you stop me you dumbass?"