Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Has RGD ever had a twitter handle thread? Should it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ok, so I got a job driving a while back, so I'm out on deliveries for hours every day. This means I've quickly cut through the backlogs of all of my podcasts, and even eaten through some others I just started listening to. So I'm looking for two things, one is a very specific podcast I knew of and then forgot about and can't find again, and the other is just some general recommendations.

First off, someone suggested this podcast in the Night Vale thread a while back, but I lost it. It was a radio play style podcast that did both adaptations of old short stories like Lovecraft stuff, and original things. It was straight up horror focused, for the most part anyway, and not as jokey as something like Thrilling Adventure Hour. If anyone has any idea what this might be I'd love to know.

Second, here is a list of the things I currently listen to and enjoy. If anyone could recommend some stuff that they think I might like based on these that would be great.

Welcome to Nightvale, Thrilling Adventure Hour, Giant Bombcast, The Steve Austin Show, Talk is Jericho, Skeptoid. Any recommendations?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Welcome to Nightvale, Thrilling Adventure Hour, Giant Bombcast, The Steve Austin Show, Talk is Jericho, Skeptoid. Any recommendations?

Going off of Giant Bomb and Skeptoid: Try Retsutalk and Radio Lab.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok, so I got a job driving a while back, so I'm out on deliveries for hours every day. This means I've quickly cut through the backlogs of all of my podcasts, and even eaten through some others I just started listening to. So I'm looking for two things, one is a very specific podcast I knew of and then forgot about and can't find again, and the other is just some general recommendations.

First off, someone suggested this podcast in the Night Vale thread a while back, but I lost it. It was a radio play style podcast that did both adaptations of old short stories like Lovecraft stuff, and original things. It was straight up horror focused, for the most part anyway, and not as jokey as something like Thrilling Adventure Hour. If anyone has any idea what this might be I'd love to know.

Second, here is a list of the things I currently listen to and enjoy. If anyone could recommend some stuff that they think I might like based on these that would be great.

I think everyone should give Uhh Yeah Dude a try. Two friends talk about stuff, an hour each week. They have been at it like 8 years and it's still awesome and funny.

There is like 400 eps, but you can start anywhere. Even the first ones are good.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Are there any podcasts like The Memory Palace? Historical or fictional stories set to calming music , the kinda thing that punctuates a late-night drive stuff.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Has anybody listened to that zombie story podcast on Nerdist and is it terrible?

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe

TheJoker138 posted:

JR has a podcast on the same network as SCSA and Jericho.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Does anyone still listen to Escape Pod and/or Podcastle? I stopped listening a couple years ago, and wanted to know if it's still good, especially with Mur leaving as editor this January for Escape Pod. Also, while were at it, what are some of your favorite episodes? I want to go into the backlog and find some good things they've done since I left.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Civil posted:

I'm too lazy to make a real thread, and I don't know if it would be even popular enough to bother with, but rapper and actor Ice-T has his own podcast.

http://www.icetfinallevel.com/

Along with his mentally challenged co-host, Mick Benzo, Ice gives you the low down on his behind the scenes work on SVU, his upcoming Body Count album, philosophy, movies he's seen, and even takes calls. It's unintentionally hilarious, compounded by the fact that his co-host doesn't have a very firm grasp of the English language. He takes it pretty lightly, though, on the third episode, he plays a clip where Paul F. Tompkins is pranked by another Ice-T impersonator.

This podcast is sublime and amazing, and I thank you for introducing it to me.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 31, 2014

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I just realized that Get Up On This is one of my must-listens each week, and I don't see anyone really talking about it. Jensen Karp and (usually) Matt Robinson bring in one guest a week. Between them, they mention 7 things you might not know about but should. It covers the gamut from standard 'Oh, you haven't seen or heard?' movies TV music and apps to putting grapes in the freezer because that makes them incredible. It might get too 'thirty-something white guys talking' during the intro, but when the guest comes in it's smart riffing and interesting topics.
See if they have someone you like - Nick Kroll was on a live show, June Diane Raphael, Alison Agosti, Jake Fogelnest, Howard Kremer, Jason Biggs, Jenny Mollen all guested. But usually it's the people I haven't heard of that make a great episode.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Is there a history podcast like The History of Rome but for medieval Europe?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Some of Dan Carlin does it, if you can stomach it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TheJoker138 posted:

You might like Big O and Dukes, they talk wrestling sometimes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Some of Dan Carlin does it, if you can stomach it

I like Dan and don't get what is so obnoxious about his voice.

Is there a kiwi historian who does podcasts that I can make fun of?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah I wondered what the "if you can stomach it" part was but assumed it was related to his politics or something.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I just thought I'd point out for people living under a rock or something that Hollywood Handbook is one of the best comedy podcasts around these days and if you don't agree there's probably something really wrong with you:

Listen to the latest episode here: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/zach-gilford-our-close-friend/

There's no need to thank me, just pay it forward.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

NotWearingPants posted:

I just thought I'd point out for people living under a rock or something that Hollywood Handbook is one of the best comedy podcasts around these days and if you don't agree there's probably something really wrong with you:

Listen to the latest episode here: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/zach-gilford-our-close-friend/

There's no need to thank me, just pay it forward.
Is their humour super dry sarcasm?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Lampsacus posted:

Is their humour super dry sarcasm?

I'd describe it as facetiously earnest braggadocio.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Any decent D.I.Y. Punk podcasts going around?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

syscall girl posted:

I like Dan and don't get what is so obnoxious about his voice.

I like dan too, in fact I am listening to his latest right now. others who I have recommended him to have said not so positive things, but nothing to do with his voice. But I like and continue to recommend. Use the offer code hardcore.

His dramatic quotations are interesting though.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Zorak said this is the place to pimp my podcast, so here it is. Hey, I'm Vargo, I write about movies for the SA front page, and I mod CineD. I jut started a semi-regular podcast called Political Theater, talking about the influence of real-world politics on film, and vice versa. There's only two episodes so far, one on racial casting issues, and one regarding Fox News' ridiculous response to The Lego Movie. Here it is and all the various networks:

Podomatic (where the episodes actually are.)
Tumblr
Twitter
Facebook

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Vargo posted:

Zorak said this is the place to pimp my podcast, so here it is. Hey, I'm Vargo, I write about movies for the SA front page, and I mod CineD. I jut started a semi-regular podcast called Political Theater, talking about the influence of real-world politics on film, and vice versa. There's only two episodes so far, one on racial casting issues, and one regarding Fox News' ridiculous response to The Lego Movie. Here it is and all the various networks:

Podomatic (where the episodes actually are.)
Tumblr
Twitter
Facebook

Vargo I linked the thread initially at first whoops!!!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438949

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Will plop into my downcast

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ok not so easy to plop into downcast

bartok
May 10, 2006

Are there any good podcast that cover cult cinema?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sistergodiva posted:

I think everyone should give Uhh Yeah Dude a try. Two friends talk about stuff, an hour each week. They have been at it like 8 years and it's still awesome and funny.

There is like 400 eps, but you can start anywhere. Even the first ones are good.

I started listening to UYD a few months ago but the feed only goes back to 201

Any way to access the whole archive?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

101 posted:

I started listening to UYD a few months ago but the feed only goes back to 201

Any way to access the whole archive?

Not sure. Podcastalley should have them. Also check the uyd thread I think there was talk of a torrent

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sistergodiva posted:

Not sure. Podcastalley should have them.

So it does, cheers

Sistergodiva posted:

Also check the uyd thread I think there was talk of a torrent

Couldn't see anything

sacksy
Jan 6, 2009

welp
http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=20249&allEpisodes=

1-237

i tried at some point to listen through the entire archive but it's just too much

sacksy fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 28, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I recommend Staind Glass

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
My girlfriend loves storytelling/fiction podcasts. She is obsessed with Night Vale but burned through them in a few weeks. I downloaded Thrilling Adventure Hour for her but she thought it was too 'cheesy'. Are there any other good storytelling/fictional podcasts out there? Also, she thinks the Moth is merely Okay...

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I can't get enough of Glen Washington and Snap Judgement for storytelling. Far more engaging of a non-fiction storytelling podcast than This American Life.

It's non-fiction though and nothing like Vale or or Adventure Hour.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Look! A Horse! posted:

My girlfriend loves storytelling/fiction podcasts. She is obsessed with Night Vale but burned through them in a few weeks. I downloaded Thrilling Adventure Hour for her but she thought it was too 'cheesy'. Are there any other good storytelling/fictional podcasts out there? Also, she thinks the Moth is merely Okay...

Well, if she enjoyed Night Vale, you could distract her for ten minutes by pointing her to the one-off episode of HARMONTOWN NIGHTS.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Are there any good Japanese history podcasts out there?

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
I can't stop listening to Roderick on the Line even though I've listened to every episode multiple times...and I can't find anyone else that listens to the show. It's the best though.

You Look Nice Today is pretty great too...anyone have suggestions for more podcasts like these?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

yung jew posted:

I can't stop listening to Roderick on the Line even though I've listened to every episode multiple times...and I can't find anyone else that listens to the show. It's the best though.

You Look Nice Today is pretty great too...anyone have suggestions for more podcasts like these?

I'd also be interested in recommendations because these are two of my favorite shows, but you can at least find some more ROTL listeners in the (admittedly quiet) Roderick on the Line thread.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
Ah...thanks! Apparently I didn't look hard enough! Been listening to UYD after finding it on here and it's scratching the itch a little bit.

Hyun.
May 8, 2008

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I like dan too, in fact I am listening to his latest right now. others who I have recommended him to have said not so positive things, but nothing to do with his voice. But I like and continue to recommend. Use the offer code hardcore.

His dramatic quotations are interesting though.

On the subject of Dan Carlin, are there any other podcasts like Hardcore History? I really like his tone and content.

-EDIT- Just read the thread. Literally the second post.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Terminal Entropy posted:

Going off of Giant Bomb and Skeptoid: Try Retsutalk and Radio Lab.

These, along with Night Vale, are the podcasts I listen to. What else should I listen to, based on those? Other than This American Life, which I am listening to the first time right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Music Theory posted:

These, along with Night Vale, are the podcasts I listen to. What else should I listen to, based on those? Other than This American Life, which I am listening to the first time right now.

There is a (hold your boos for a minute) a Kevin Smith hosted podcast featuring Jon Lovitz called the ABCs of SNL and it is really good.

You might remember Kevin Smith for making increasingly lovely films and ruining your childhood but he is a great interviewer and Lovitz is really interesting regarding his time on SNL and just things in general.

Also check out The Tobolowsky Files for that one episode where he details what it was like working with Bill Murray on Groundhog Day.

Marc Maron has a tv show I like but I have yet to listen to a single podcast of his. Weird, because his show as about him podcasting.