Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I assume they have tracking values, and that the capital ship ones don't track so well.

This.

It's more dangerous for the federation pilots than it is for you -- your capital rounds are considerably faster. For example, beam frigates will just slice fighters out of the sky, but only if they are far enough out that the capital ship turn rate can keep up with the fighter's current velocity. Once fighters or light capitals get too close, they become a problem if you can't track them.

In order of tracking it goes: capital ship turn rate -> turret turn rate -> weapon spread -- it has to go through these three filters before it hits the fighter, and if fighters are constantly changing their direction, it doesn't happen all the time. But when it does, I giggle every time.

Friendly fire is also a thing, but I haven't been hit by it (yet).

Kairo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kairo posted:

Friendly fire is also a thing, but I haven't been hit by it (yet).
Man, I still get PSTD flashbacks from when I ended up between two capital ships duking it out in Freespace 2. The charge sound that the main beam cannons does is an excellent reminder that your rear end is about two seconds away from becoming stellar dust.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, I still get PSTD flashbacks from when I ended up between two capital ships duking it out in Freespace 2. The charge sound that the main beam cannons does is an excellent reminder that your rear end is about two seconds away from becoming stellar dust.

The Terran capital beams that sweeps across enemy ships - excellent for killing off enemy subsystems... and friendly fighters in between.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_U2MdCdaR4

:suspense:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hold me.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I want to throw money at this so hard.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am so excited for this drat game. It may be time to for another Homeworld playthrough to tide me over.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Oh man, this looks so awesome! :woop:
Really looking forward to it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Seriously, Kairo. The moment you release this I'll buy a copy. Hell, I'll buy another copy for my unemployed friend, who also loves spacesims.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

:staredog:

You sir, can have all my money.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Excuse me, Mr. Kairo. Do you have a Swiss Bank Account so that I may forward to you all this Gold Bullion?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Release this, I beg you

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Banano posted:

Release this, I beg you

Hey dudes, thanks for the comments. As some of my testers would tell you, there are some major parts of the game that need to be implemented still. I don't want to do an alpha/early-access until those are all in.

For instance, the solar system gets generated and places AI fleets and landmarks, but it's just a randomly generated system each time (or tweaked so I can test something specific repeatedly). This week I want to intelligently generate new systems after you clear one so there's a good sense of progression and ramp up. There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it's not here yet. Thanks for your patience! You guys rule.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just noticed you can now see the rest of your fighter outside the cockpit, that makes it even more awesome.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If the game had a bug in it that made a mallet pop out of the computer and smash you in the nuts I'd still pay to play it, but I respect you for continuing to polish it.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I'm not going to lie, I will buy this the second it comes out because I am a massive Homeworld fan and I love how much this game reminds me of it, I sure hope it will be as fun as we can see from the trailer because GODDAMN, we need more games like this, with starships doing what they do best, blowing poo poo up in the vacuum of space!

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Does this have 6DOF or am I imagining the outside of the craft moving relative to the displays on the inside?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I hope you keep in the ability to play in the ultra-widescreen aspect ratio I've seen in some of your gifs. Spaceships and 2.2:1 super panavision 70 are forever linked in my mind.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Paper Mac posted:

Does this have 6DOF or am I imagining the outside of the craft moving relative to the displays on the inside?

It's not the displays, it's the whole cockpit. It looks kind of like the entire cockpit is attached to the rest of the ship with shock absorbers or something. I'm..not sure what to make of it yet. Like it makes sense that if a ship is long enough you'd get some parallax going on if you were getting jostled in your seat or something. It does add a certain amount of feel I guess, like your thrusters are actually thruster-ing. On the flip side they have warp technology and haven't figured out how to keep the pilots sitting still even when they're just thrusting forward? Okay.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Right, it's either legit 6DOF or a pretty good imitation, I think.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kairo posted:

Thanks for your patience! You guys rule.

Make hay while your only actual stakeholders are you and your bank. As soon as you release it to the masses you'll gain several thousand bosses. What I'm saying is that you have great judgment so far, don't be swayed by the unwashed and cheeto encrusted masses.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I haven't pc gamed in a long time, but drat do I love simulation games.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Whatever you're doing just keep doing it because it looks great.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I want to physically give you money in person because of this.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fart Car '97 posted:

Whatever you're doing just keep doing it because it looks great.

This guy gets it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Is there any chance we could see some of the ship designs\concept art?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
That is one heck of a trailer. My goodness.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kairo posted:

I don't want to do an alpha/early-access until those are all in.
Have you looked at some of the other early access games out there?

Anyways, it's too late. As soon as our internet detectives find out where you live, this whole thread is gonna show up and hold you down to stuff your pockets with money. Whether you like it or not. :colbert:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Kairo posted:

Hey dudes, thanks for the comments. As some of my testers would tell you, there are some major parts of the game that need to be implemented still. I don't want to do an alpha/early-access until those are all in.

For instance, the solar system gets generated and places AI fleets and landmarks, but it's just a randomly generated system each time (or tweaked so I can test something specific repeatedly). This week I want to intelligently generate new systems after you clear one so there's a good sense of progression and ramp up. There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it's not here yet. Thanks for your patience! You guys rule.

This is awesome, you are awesome, and I am quite honestly entirely flabbergasted that this is something you've built on your lonesome.

But instead of just affirming how awesome you are, I'll drop a LITTLE BIT of constructive criticism:

- The trailer does a good job of setup; the opening sets ambiance well, and the music crescendos with your visual editing well into... a not entirely dramatic space battle. The game is way more exciting up close in the cockpit while death laser beams are flaring 5 meters over your head. More of that will make a more exciting trailer. I think some shots of that nature would do well to open up the post-warmup cut.
- Watching capital ship combat is a lot of what didn't feel exciting. This means the game's a lot like Homeworld, and being like Homeworld is a Good Thing. I will buy your game whenever you'll let me give you money. But as a trailer showcase it's not evocative. If you plan to add component damage, impact translations/rocking, or non-lethal explosions I think that will up the ante here.
- Scale feels Homeworldy, which is again a good place to ape. But I definitely felt like the caps in the trailer were small caps; HW frigate/destroyer territory. Flying around near something GTVA Colossus sized would be awesome to see.

Keep up the awesome work, really looking forward to playing this.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
It's so painful, I get game devs throwing half finished shells of alphas of in development titles at me all the time, I'm forever trying to offer polite but encouraging responses to people saying that their baby isn't quite ready to be featured. And yet Enemy Starfighter taunts me, forever out of my reach.

Amarretto Christ
Jan 26, 2009

Believe: Humanzee's Exist
Hullowww, Kairo, give Scott Manly your game please thanks.

Can't wait to play this.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
I agree with a lot of the above. I think the material you're working with is great, but sine different shot selection and editing would help a lot. Use footage of an actual warp/drop-in and dogfighting among cap ship fire, that would be awesome!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

More torture. Good torture. Still torture. :swoon:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I forgot to ask earlier - since you changed it to the whole pursuit/open star system thing, does that mean the awesome Rainbow Six in Space planning mode is gone?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
This was a fantastic thing to come home to after a long Monday. drat.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Since we're offering constructive criticism along with the drooling: I still think the game needs a logo.

Even more off the wall: Even if the game itself doesn't have a logo, it'd be nice to be able to design one in-game and slap it on your ships. A New Zero (http://www.crypticsea.com/anewzero/) had a minimalistic, but brilliant little "coat of arms" designer in-game, and I'd love to see it in here.

Then, the user-designed logo could show up as part of the title, or title screen. Like, the player's branding his own game.

Also, I realize this is not as exciting idea to others as it would be to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

doctorfrog posted:

Since we're offering constructive criticism along with the drooling: I still think the game needs a logo.

Even more off the wall: Even if the game itself doesn't have a logo, it'd be nice to be able to design one in-game and slap it on your ships. A New Zero (http://www.crypticsea.com/anewzero/) had a minimalistic, but brilliant little "coat of arms" designer in-game, and I'd love to see it in here.

Then, the user-designed logo could show up as part of the title, or title screen. Like, the player's branding his own game.

Also, I realize this is not as exciting idea to others as it would be to me.

No, this is definitely a cool idea.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Enemy Starfighter has a logo - you can see it on a shirt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously have up to 100 dollars set aside for the day you start letting us give you money.

• Locked thread