Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alex Smith is above league replacement and that's not the worst fate for a drafted QB. There are plenty of QBs taken in the 1st round since Alex Smith that aren't even playing football anymore. Vince Young, Matt Leinart, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow, all out of the NFL. Several of them with stronger arms, bigger frames, better measurables. Smith's still going, still starting.

If you draft a QB and they're the next Alex Smith (TODAY Alex Smith, that is), that's far from a bust. I think that's what some GMs might be hoping to get with AJ McCarron.

I think there are some similarities between Bridgewater and Smith, in terms of having high football IQ, being excellent in the intermediate passing game, having adequate mobility (although Smith is a better runner). I think the talk about Bridgewater's wobbly throws at his pro day is completely overblown. Put on the tape, he has the velocity. If he flames out, it will be for cerebral reasons.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Man I really hope AJ McCarron either gets picked in the first and flames out spectacularly or goes undrafted and goes away forever.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Alex Smith wouldn't have completed the 50 yard bomb to Kearse in the NFC Championship.

Alex Smith let a bunch of bombs go that were promptly dropped by his stone handed receivers. There were two in their last playoff game that were perfectly placed and in stride that were such cringeworthy drops I almost fell off the couch

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Alex Smith let a bunch of bombs go that were promptly dropped by his stone handed receivers. There were two in their last playoff game that were perfectly placed and in stride that were such cringeworthy drops I almost fell off the couch

Well that's where Wilson's intangibles come in.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Well that's where Wilson's intangibles come in.

I think having receivers that can catch goes under "locker room leader"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

I think having receivers that can catch goes under "locker room leader"

See: Newton, Cameron

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Alouicious posted:

You never see Russell Wilson with a towel on his head. That's because he's one of The Good Ones.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Alouicious posted:

You remember when Steve Smith was one of the best receivers in the league? I do. It was before Cam got there. Then Cam showed up and Smith got old and bad. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

Alex Smith is above league replacement and that's not the worst fate for a drafted QB. There are plenty of QBs taken in the 1st round since Alex Smith that aren't even playing football anymore. Vince Young, Matt Leinart, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow, all out of the NFL. Several of them with stronger arms, bigger frames, better measurables. Smith's still going, still starting.

If you draft a QB and they're the next Alex Smith (TODAY Alex Smith, that is), that's far from a bust. I think that's what some GMs might be hoping to get with AJ McCarron.

I think there are some similarities between Bridgewater and Smith, in terms of having high football IQ, being excellent in the intermediate passing game, having adequate mobility (although Smith is a better runner). I think the talk about Bridgewater's wobbly throws at his pro day is completely overblown. Put on the tape, he has the velocity. If he flames out, it will be for cerebral reasons.

It's more than just a possibility that Bridgewater doesn't WANT to start for a lovely team his rookie season, and would rather ride a bench for less money for a few years while he adapts his game... therefore poo poo up his pro-day.

All of that still might not save him from the Browns.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There is probably a 0% chance of that. They're going for as much money as possible. There is no guaranteed 'next contract' to assume.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
No, no there is not MORE than a possibility. That's the dumbest thing ever

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

It's more than just a possibility that Bridgewater doesn't WANT to start for a lovely team his rookie season, and would rather ride a bench for less money for a few years while he adapts his game... therefore poo poo up his pro-day.

All of that still might not save him from the Browns.
"Yeah, I could have a guaranteed high-paying NFL starting QB job, but gently caress that it might be with the Texans, Jags, or Browns so here goes nothing" *puts some wobble on the ball*

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Bridgewater leaned back in his chair, watching the tweets and PFF comments flood his monitors. "It's working," he laughed, "my plan to be drafted 47th overall by the Cowboys is working!"

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Bridgewater will slip out of the top 10 and when we cut to the greenroom, he's celebrating straight out of the itshappening.gif

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Yeah, just so there's some numbers, in 2012 Luck and RG3 made over $20mil/4yr on their rookie contracts. The 8th overall, Ryan Tannehill got about $12mil/4yr.

EJ Manuel just signed a $8.8mil/5yr contract last season for getting picked 16th. And he still has to play in Buffalo.

Bridgewater isn't metagaming this whole system.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Teddy checks his phone
"gently caress, Rob Rang has me goin' to Oakland"
Hits Dennis Allen in the nuts with football

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PrinceRandom posted:

Teddy checks his phone

Perfection.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Alex Smith sucks. Teddy Bridgewater owns. Teddy needs to be a Chief but he won't because that would be dumb. The end

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Absolutely no player ever thinks it would be better to fall on draft day just so they could go to a better team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ozu posted:

Absolutely no player ever thinks it would be better to fall on draft day just so they could go to a better team.

Didn't Eli essentially tell the Chargers not to draft him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Dexo posted:

Ok, caveat, any player not funded by the Bank of Manning. Eli still ended up getting the 2nd highest signing bonus ever (after Peyton) as a rookie though, even with his whining.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I think that was mainly Archie's PTSD from his Saints years kicking in and the Chargers looked like another Manning black hole to him, so he told Eli to steer clear.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Dexo posted:

I mean players have told teams to get hosed, like Elway, Eli, or Bo Jackson (who had pretty real reasons to tell Tampa off) but usually they just get their rights traded away.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

PrinceRandom posted:

Teddy checks his phone

This made me laugh inappropriately loudly at work.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Drew Brees, you stupid bastard.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rooster Brooster posted:

If JFF goes to the Vikings, the NFCN will have the ownsiest lineup of quarterbacks of any division. Just funslingin' all day every day.

On the topic of smoke screens...

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/31/johnny-manziel-red-flags-2014-nfl-draft/

Zimmer says there were some "Red Flags" with their meeting with Manziel

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Azhais posted:

I mean look at Peyton and all of the ads he does. Does he have the dedication to be an NFL quarterback.

That's like the most pathetic smokescreen ever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The logic is sound, though, Brady Quinn was in commercials before the draft and we know how that turned out

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chilichimp posted:

Drew Brees, you stupid bastard.

What did Brees have to do with anything

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Azhais posted:

After his pro day? There may have been some maroon flags in the room and he just got confused about the color.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Zimmer also got really old man angry about the Drake music at the pro day

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Intruder posted:

What's the classic rock station in Minneapolis? That's what'll be playing at Vikings practices now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Intruder posted:

Someone who listens to Drake like that doesn't have the proper mindset to be a QB. Too much pining for ex's, not enough gently caress bitches get money.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Democratic Pirate posted:

After his pro day? There may have been some maroon flags in the room and he just got confused about the color.

I guess to be fair it didn't actually say red flags, just flags. So maybe Zimmer got confused by some semaphore.

shiksa posted:

What's the classic rock station in Minneapolis? That's what'll be playing at Vikings practices now.

Cool 108. It starts playing Christmas music 24/7 in early November however, so not sure that's a quality option.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

If you own the Vikings and aren't forcing Wagner to be played at every practice you're a lovely owner.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Dexo posted:

Someone who listens to Drake like that doesn't have the proper mindset to be a QB. Too much pining for ex's, not enough gently caress bitches get money.

umm...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b3COanjHoo

The real question with a Drake fan is if they have the requisite patriotism to lead Americans. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0288937/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1a

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Beady Quinn's "now im done" Myoplex campaign is what got me interested in building my muscles as a college freshman :)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mayock trolls TFF, bumps Manziel up to his #1 QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338425/article/mike-mayocks-updated-position-rankings-for-2014-nfl-draft

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mayock used to be kind of a cool draftnik but now he's just a part of The Draft Game like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Call me a stickler but a top 5 list shouldn't have 7 names on it.

• Locked thread