Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Some Other Guy posted:

I remember watching at the time and I thought the whole Luger as a patriot face thing was weird. He was a bad guy and all of the sudden he shows up in a red white and blue helicopter in american flag trunks and slams Yokozuna on the aircraft carrier. I didn't buy it. I wanted Tatanka to do it or Crush who was made out to be the favorite.

I think Hogan leaving made them panic and shove Lex into a main event face slot. I'm only at WM IX (pray for me) but it is interesting to see all the Narcissist hullabaloo knowing how short-lived that gimmick would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Some Other Guy posted:

I remember watching at the time and I thought the whole Luger as a patriot face thing was weird. He was a bad guy and all of the sudden he shows up in a red white and blue helicopter in american flag trunks and slams Yokozuna on the aircraft carrier. I didn't buy it. I wanted Tatanka to do it or Crush who was made out to be the favorite.

I remember buying it hook line and sinker. I was also wired with weird kneejerk nationalistic tendencies so he may have short circuited me with all the flag stuff.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

coconono posted:

I remember buying it hook line and sinker. I was also wired with weird kneejerk nationalistic tendencies so he may have short circuited me with all the flag stuff.

Same here. I loving loved it all and watched SS93 with an American flag next to me. God, what a loving dork.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

it may have brought a tear to my eye because we finally got back japan for pearl harbor, but i still didnt buy luger as a face

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Some Other Guy posted:

it may have brought a tear to my eye because we finally got back japan for pearl harbor, but i still didnt buy luger as a face

So the nuclear bombs counted less than a Luger body slam? Kids are funny.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It didn't help he was literally the Narcissist like two weeks before at King of the Ring.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm up to the 93 Royal Rumble myself (Yeah, I just started on this CRAZY journey through WWE's Cartoon period). It does suck that Hart takes a back for Lex Luger.

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
Was "The Lex Express" actually a thing or was it just a gimmick? As that does seem a lot of effort for the result.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

mrbasehart posted:

Was "The Lex Express" actually a thing or was it just a gimmick? As that does seem a lot of effort for the result.

What bugs me about it was, they put all that effort into it and never pulled the trigger on Lex becoming champion. I don't get it. They were (seemingly) building him up to be the next mega-face ala Hogan.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
Going through the WWE Network schedule - I'm surprised on Sunday, there's no immediate replay of Wrestlemania 30. Of course they'll have it on demand. But instead - a new Countdown! Top 10 Most Infamous Gimmicks!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You'd think they'd have a replay, especially since everyone seems to assume the stream will gently caress up at some point

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

What bugs me about it was, they put all that effort into it and never pulled the trigger on Lex becoming champion. I don't get it. They were (seemingly) building him up to be the next mega-face ala Hogan.

He didn't get the reactions, though.

Just watched the Raw with the Brutus Beefcake comeback promo. In one of the pauses, an rear end in a top hat in the crowd screams as "KILL YOURSELF" as loud as he can.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

I guess either A: They figured Yokozuna was too good as a heel champion to have him drop just yet. He keeps the title till Wrestlemania X, dropping to Bret Hart or B: They realized that Luger is NOT World Title material and putting him in that position was a mistake.(Wasn't early 90s WWE Really dumb to begin with anyway?)

Just my thoughts, I didn't start watching wrestling till 1998.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Speaking of Luger, why did they change his name from Narcissus to The Narcissist before his debut?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Rodney the Piper posted:

He didn't get the reactions, though.

Just watched the Raw with the Brutus Beefcake comeback promo. In one of the pauses, an rear end in a top hat in the crowd screams as "KILL YOURSELF" as loud as he can.

Holy crap, which Raw was this?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm amazed Yoko held onto the title for what ended up just shy of a year. The only other heel who got to do that was Savage, and he wasn't really a heel for all of it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I don't remember which Raw it was, but yeah, Beefcake was giving this incredibly dreary promo about how he lost his face, lost his job and lost his wife in short order. Then he pauses. "KILL YOURSELF!"

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

Holy crap, which Raw was this?

Raw #4, if I'm not mistaken. The one the week after the great Hennig/Flair Loser Leaves Town Match. The hyped main event for the next week was... Doink vs. Typhoon.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
(Sorry for the double post)

Is there interest in watching stuff off the Network together on non-PPV Sundays? I could organize something the Sunday after next.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

Is there interest in watching stuff off the Network together on non-PPV Sundays? I could organize something the Sunday after next.

We can do bad WCW PPVs. Russo at his worse is always fun.

Edit: Wrestlemania is this Sunday! :neckbeard: Also, :lol: Bossman's theme music in 1993!

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 31, 2014

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Rodney the Piper posted:

I'd be down for this

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

coconono posted:

The pre and post shows are what you'd expect. I like the recap shows because it saves me from having to sit through 3 hours RAW.

Plus they've said they're gonna put up all the old Clash of the Champions.

This guy on YouTube has been putting up weekly 5 minute videos called "Raw Is Abridged" which shows you all the important stuff in 5 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkZqCXqgfClLoB5-jCOb8hA

The Post-Show is nice as it recaps the top two or three angles from the night, but they don't touch on the majority of the things.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Rodney the Piper posted:

As long as it doesn't clash with total divas, sure

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

I still think telling people to watch Total Diva's is some kind of sick joke.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

One thing that I've noticed as I go through the archives is that Earl Hebner is the worst goddamn referee ever. He gets involved in matches, he passes out for minutes on the slightest contact, and whenever there's a submission hold applied his arms start flailing about like he had no bones. Same thing when he signals for the bell. The worst part is, now that I've noticed it, I can't stop noticing it and it's ruining a lot of matches for me. He's just so bad.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

Which one was her favorite? Mine wanted to watch the Del Rio one 100 times. So you know, it covered an hour of our time.

haha, we kind of cycled through them all (twice) but she seemed to really perk up at the Mysterio traffic cop episode. She's pretty easily amused though so it was probably just the extra vibrant colours in that one.

If you haven't seen it, Saturday Morning Slam has some really nice vignettes between matches that are definitely put together by someone with knowledge of how to do children's programming. I'm figuring that'll be a better introduction to wrestling than the episode of Impact we sat through when she was even younger and which should probably be considered child abuse.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

Speaking of Luger, why did they change his name from Narcissus to The Narcissist before his debut?

narcissus was probably too esoteric and clever for something that was supposed to mean the same thing.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

haha, we kind of cycled through them all (twice) but she seemed to really perk up at the Mysterio traffic cop episode. She's pretty easily amused though so it was probably just the extra vibrant colours in that one.

If you haven't seen it, Saturday Morning Slam has some really nice vignettes between matches that are definitely put together by someone with knowledge of how to do children's programming. I'm figuring that'll be a better introduction to wrestling than the episode of Impact we sat through when she was even younger and which should probably be considered child abuse.

You monster. We all know you start with Wrestlemania 11...

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Blasmeister posted:

Would Saturdays be better?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Watching Survivor Series 2013 and oh my loving God. Zeb and Cody twerking. I'm generally at a loss. And it's amazing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The Best Backstab Countdown is amazing. When it gets to the Owen/Bret one, the first thing you hear is Cesaro going "No no no! You got it all wrong! Owen didn't backstab Bret! Bret was being totally selfish!"

Cesaro :allears:

Then you get an AWESOME segment of Damien Sandow explaining how he was doing the right thing at MITB '13.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
If this is Luger's actual theme song on the fourth Raw, I can't imagine that working for anyone at all.

Edit: And then they have a fat lady do the placard deal, much to Luger's DISGUST. This is the same episode as a Tatanka match AND Jim Duggan doing a call-in interview over a Yokozuna match. Oh, early 90s. :allears:

Fake editx2: Mr. Perfect passing a football to himself!

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 31, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vintimus Prime posted:

They were so happy with how things were going into Summerslam they decided to hold it off until Wrestlemania. Luger cooled off tremendously after not winning the belt at SS and by Rumble the crowd reacted much better to Hart winning, so Luger's title win never happened.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

The Best Backstab Countdown is amazing. When it gets to the Owen/Bret one, the first thing you hear is Cesaro going "No no no! You got it all wrong! Owen didn't backstab Bret! Bret was being totally selfish!"

Cesaro :allears:

Then you get an AWESOME segment of Damien Sandow explaining how he was doing the right thing at MITB '13.

Cesaro is reight. There was no good reason for Brett to have not tagged Owen in, drat it.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
Wow, more Wrestlemania programming on the network. Seems like the Tuesday night after Wrestlemania, instead of Wrestlemania Rewind at 9pm, there will be "Journey to Wrestlemania". Only a half-hour so I'm guessing that Rewind will air at 9:30pm.

quote:

Follow a WWE Superstar behind the scenes before, during and after WrestleMania. Our cameras provide you an all-access pass along his journey to WrestleMania.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Fatigue has not set in yet, but these old RAW episodes are a lot of fun. It helps they're only an hour long and they breeze by.

Episode 31, CRUSH BRAH does a call-in interview. It goes disastrously too. I assumed it was just pre-recorded bits or something but no, it seems like it was for real. CRUSH BRAH has a terrible line and Macho says something and then there's a long pause...

"Is that Macho Man Randy Savage?"

And then the line goes dead.

We've been doing the RAW-RAW-RAW-PPV thing and man, Summerslam 93 is rough. Luger's win is the most hollow victory. Everyone goes nuts over it and all he had was a countout. I think Heenan is the only one to mention that it means nothing

Also, have there ever been any more "Quebec Province Rules" matches or was this gimmick saved for the uh...Quebecers?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DudeDeuce posted:

Wow, more Wrestlemania programming on the network. Seems like the Tuesday night after Wrestlemania, instead of Wrestlemania Rewind at 9pm, there will be "Journey to Wrestlemania". Only a half-hour so I'm guessing that Rewind will air at 9:30pm.

I'm guessing this is what Bryan had Network guys following him around for.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, and I think I remember the answer, but I just want to be super careful :

Some friends want me to host Wrestlemania, because I don't have any neighbours to piss off, by shouting at the TV.

I'm in the UK, and I have a VPN that I can use to get a USA IP address. How do I sign up to The Network, and stream Wrestlemania?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tyma posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, and I think I remember the answer, but I just want to be super careful :

Some friends want me to host Wrestlemania, because I don't have any neighbours to piss off, by shouting at the TV.

I'm in the UK, and I have a VPN that I can use to get a USA IP address. How do I sign up to The Network, and stream Wrestlemania?

I signed up, listed my address as a US one (Use the Zip 90210) and paid through Paypal. The rest should work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

DrVenkman posted:

I signed up, listed my address as a US one (Use the Zip 90210) and paid through Paypal. The rest should work fine.

Haha even though I am nowhere remotely close to Beverly Hills, that's always the first zip code that pops in my head when I need to enter a random one.