Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Koesj posted:

Then there's the Boulevard Peripherique in Paris, the Ronda Litoral along Barcelona's coast, and stuff like this:

Antwerp is the fourth most congested urban area in NA/Europe.

Local radio stations barely bother mentioning the congestion on the Brussels and Antwerp rings anymore, referring to it as the usual traffic. :v: In Antwerp's defence, we have a pretty decent public transportation system. I live on the other side of town where that picture is taken and it'd take me just as long to reach the Sportpaleis (building with blue roof) by tram as by car. Unfortunately, if you want to travel to the outlying suburbs then you're often limited to buses which are packed to the gills during rush hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

chmods please posted:

Do you know if the same assumption was made in Waterbury? Having only two lanes is a horrible bottleneck but it occurred to me that maybe everyone was supposed to get off at the local exits.

I don't know about Waterbury. There were never many bypass routes planned around it, at least not like Hartford, so it's reasonable to assume most through traffic would be passing right through the CBD. I-84 to the immediate east of downtown is a lot older than the rest of it, and that section has never been expanded (it was not meant to carry through traffic), so even if the state had redone the CT 8 interchange to bring in more through lanes, there would still be a bottleneck.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Speaking of Belgium, if there ever was a day to not drive in Belgium, today is the one. Obama's visiting Brussels and angry carnies are blocking a main road in Antwerp. :v

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Fragrag posted:

Speaking of Belgium, if there ever was a day to not drive in Belgium, today is the one. Obama's visiting Brussels and angry carnies are blocking a main road in Antwerp. :v

Yeah, every time Obama comes up here, they close off I-91 from the airport to his destination. A couple weeks ago, he went to CCSU in New Britain, so that meant ~30 miles of traffic gently caress-ups. A friend spotted his motorcade driving the wrong way down Route 9! I guess that's executive privilege for you. Last year, he went to UHa, and I was on the nearby golf course the whole time and got to see the motorcade pass. Helicopters all over, watching us golf and wondering if there are any rifles in our club bag.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If it makes you feel any better, presidential travel fucks up air traffic, too. :v:

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

As someone who lives in Calgary, I can tell you for certain that we do not have such a thing. Not even close. So I'm curious as to where you got that information.

I live in Edmonton and I can vouch that the city doesn't have a freeway access to the core too.

The only city in Western Canada that has has anything like a legitimate freeway to the core is, ironically, Saskatoon and that is just from the south side of the city.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
The government transport authority here just released a "Top 100 High Risk Intersections" for the country, sorted by casualties since 2003. Looking up some of them on Google Maps, I thought it was interesting that many of them are perfectly normal looking intersections (although some have already been fixed) - it's not usually some crazy intersection design that's causing all the crashes, it's just really high traffic volume. The abolute worst one, I see has been fixed already just by turning it into a roundabout.

Speaking of roundabouts, I went through this the other day:

Is that like, a recognised way to solve a road-highway intersection? A giant elongated roundabout on top? It's a bit weird.

Nition fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 28, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nition posted:

Is that like, a recognised way to solve a road-highway intersection? A giant elongated roundabout on top? It's a bit weird.

The UK absolutely loves to use roundabouts as a core component of interchanges for a motorway, sometimes even for motorway-motorway interchanges.

Like this one https://www.google.com/maps/place/52%C2%B036%2702.0%22N+1%C2%B011%2742.0%22W/@52.6005564,-1.195,972m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
And that's three lanes on one side and four on the other by the looks of it! Heaven forbid you should enter in the wrong lane.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nition posted:

The government transport authority here just released a "Top 100 High Risk Intersections" for the country, sorted by casualties since 2003. Looking up some of them on Google Maps, I thought it was interesting that many of them are perfectly normal looking intersections (although some have already been fixed) - it's not usually some crazy intersection design that's causing all the crashes, it's just really high traffic volume. The abolute worst one, I see has been fixed already just by turning it into a roundabout.

Washington DC is installing some of those ovals - scroll down on this page to the "oval" pictures for some renderings

http://www.anacostiawaterfront.org/awi-documents/south-capitol-street-corridor-documents/south-capitol-street-renderings/

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
How much traffic would you get in NZ, though? I can imagine that Auckland's the only city where you'd have gridlocks, and has that twin harbour that makes traffic mitigation even harder.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Install Windows posted:

The UK absolutely loves to use roundabouts as a core component of interchanges for a motorway, sometimes even for motorway-motorway interchanges.

Like this one https://www.google.com/maps/place/52%C2%B036%2702.0%22N+1%C2%B011%2742.0%22W/@52.6005564,-1.195,972m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

You post that junction but not here, here, and here? (That's not even all of them, either)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MyFaceBeHi posted:

You post that junction but not here, here, and here? (That's not even all of them, either)

Posting one is bad enough! But I chose the one I did because one side of it is for a motorway-motorway connection and the other side is a motorway-surface road connection.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Here's some pretty great freehand road painting.

https://vimeo.com/36167291

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
How do those bollards that drop away know when there's a bus, and will they drop for other vehicles like police/ambulance/taxi?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Crankit posted:

How do those bollards that drop away know when there's a bus, and will they drop for other vehicles like police/ambulance/taxi?

Most likely there's a transmitter on the vehicles broadcasting a particular pattern on a certain frequency.

If see message "10101_BUS_SECRET_CODE" on "2.593GHz" lower pillars.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

less than three posted:

Most likely there's a transmitter on the vehicles broadcasting a particular pattern on a certain frequency.

If see message "10101_BUS_SECRET_CODE" on "2.593GHz" lower pillars.

Interesting, I don't think I ever noticed a radio receiver but I wasn't looking. Do the busses just beacon a signal all the time? Do they do it in response to being in a certain location, is it like a challenge response/rolling code type thing?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crankit posted:

They installed these close to where I live, to block access to the city centre on Friday and Saturday nights. Since they placed them in December, I know of four occasions when someone has driven into them.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

John Dough posted:

They installed these close to where I live, to block access to the city centre on Friday and Saturday nights. Since they placed them in December, I know of four occasions when someone has driven into them.

Oof! What city is that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crankit posted:

Interesting, I don't think I ever noticed a radio receiver but I wasn't looking. Do the busses just beacon a signal all the time? Do they do it in response to being in a certain location, is it like a challenge response/rolling code type thing?

It's quite easy to bury a receiver under the asphalt and have it still work, or to attach the receiver inside a nearby utility box or pole. Buses always carry numerous forms of radio for dispatch and other purposes, so adding another broadcast is easy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Deadly Hume posted:

How much traffic would you get in NZ, though? I can imagine that Auckland's the only city where you'd have gridlocks, and has that twin harbour that makes traffic mitigation even harder.
New Zealand's cities have loving terrible traffic. Combination of llow density and terrible highway layouts. Wellington really only has 1 major way to get into the city.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crankit posted:

Oof! What city is that?

Den Bosch. The bollards have been placed here, but Streetview is old. They added additional signs to the one already on Streetview, but clearly it isn't helping.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Relevant:

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Also relevant (and from the same bollards in Manchester, UK)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWnfeDtnuds

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

They also have these things on local/rural roads. They go up during rush hour, and then go down once every half minute or so to let a single car through. They are built to prevent people taking the local road while the highway is jammed up. The locals don't want too much traffic on their roads I guess.

---

Edit so I don't have to double post:

Let's look at a road with some, uh, lovely views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SywpGHTsg00

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 30, 2014

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Qwijib0 posted:

The professional road painters are really amazing to watch. It's a shame most of them work at 3 am to minimize traffic impacts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Qwijib0 posted:

This is freehand? I always assumed that these were stencilled! :stare:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Volmarias posted:

This is freehand? I always assumed that these were stencilled! :stare:

Well they have guidelines at the top and bottom. The freehanding the 90 degree curves is pretty good, though.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I believe the little paint roller has a radius guideline which makes doing those rounded curves fairly routine once you have some practice.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cichlidae posted:

The professional road painters are really amazing to watch. It's a shame most of them work at 3 am to minimize traffic impacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmgice3ieZ4

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
While we're on street painting, something that's always unnecessarily bugged me... on painted turn arrows, they thicken the line perpendicular to the direction of travel (which makes sense), but it's not centered on the arrow. It looks like they paint the line at one width, centered with the arrow, then fill in the curve to make it thicker on the near side. Is that just because it's easier, or is there some perception magic at work?

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

edit: Okay to be fair Pittsburgh isn't the only weird one in the US

Yad Rock fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 1, 2014

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
The guy who replaced me at the DOT looks like Norm Abrams. Can't say I complain.

Yad Rock posted:

edit: Okay to be fair Pittsburgh isn't the only weird one in the US

Those are beautiful summaries! Makes me want to graph some more of the cities around here.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The best part about the King County grid is that the streets are contiguous with the Snohomish County grid but the street names are not. King County's Meridian Avenue turns into 76th Avenue SW when it hits the county line while Snohomish County's Meridian Avenue turns into 80th Avenue NE. The street that straddles the county line is either 205th or 244th, depending on the side of the road you're on. There's even a town that spans both counties just to add to the fun.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aren't those guys painting the road constantly stepping on the stuff they just painted? What's up with that?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

smackfu posted:

Aren't those guys painting the road constantly stepping on the stuff they just painted? What's up with that?
They're not actually. I mean, you can tell, because if they did they'd be leaving yellow footprints everywhere.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Those diagrams are very interesting. Seems to show a definite north/south split, as if the older places were laid down by the European settlers and the others were made later. Then you have that one up near Rochester... maybe built later than anything else around it?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

thehustler posted:

Those diagrams are very interesting. Seems to show a definite north/south split, as if the older places were laid down by the European settlers and the others were made later. Then you have that one up near Rochester... maybe built later than anything else around it?

If you look at the oldest areas of many cities in the western US that are on a grid based layout, those streets are lined up slightly off due N/S/E/W, so that horses and carriage drivers would not have blinding sunrises and sunsets directly in their line of sight.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 1, 2014

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

will_colorado posted:

If you look at the oldest areas of many cities in the western US that are on a grid based layout, those streets are lined up slightly off due N/S/E/W, so that horses and carriage drivers would not have blinding sunrises and sunsets directly in their line of sight.

Not that it makes much difference since the position of the sun at rise and set varies over the course of the year by quite a few degrees above and below directly E/W. Unless your grid is 45 degrees off, there's going to be two points in the year the sun's going to be going straight down it.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Crankit posted:

At least some of them embed a receiver in the concrete substrate under the road surface. They also look like a huge pain in the rear end to maintain (make sure you lubricate the entire surface with WE-40 regularly!)
file:///Q:/Stamford/Users/iwh02001/Downloads/retractable-bollard-service-guide.pdf