Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Is that a dollar for everything or a dollar per comic?

Also if I buy the Bishop stuff can you just send me Bishop: The Last X-Man #16 and throw the rest in the bin?

I start every auction at 99 cents because reserves on this stuff is bullcrap.

And NO. You will buy every book and you will read every one of them BECAUSE ODIN COMMANDS IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
WOAH (From Bendis's tumblr http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/)

quote:

For immediate release!

Marvel and DC officially announce the return of THE AMALGAM UNIVERSE!

For the first co-publishing venture in over a decade, Marvel and DC have come to an agreement to bring back The Amalgam Universe, a universe comprised of ‘amalgam characters’ of some of the most beloved superheroes of the two most exciting comic book publishers in the entire world.

Spinning out of the events of Forever Evil and Original Sin, The Amalgam Universe is a brand-new, 12 part maxi series by super scribes Geoff Johns and Brian Michael Bendis with artwork by Olivier Copiel, Bryan Hitch, John Romita jr., Alex Maleev, Mike Deodato jr., and comics legend John Byrne, making his long awaited return to mainstream comics.

The Amalgam Universe will be published biweekly this September with many of your favorite regular comics ‘going dark’ for the duration of the series.

"The fallout from The Amalgam Universe is so big to both comic book universes, the changes so overwhelming, that you won’t recognize most of your favorite titles at the end of it.” said Bendis.

When asked: why now? Both publishers, in a joint statement said: because announcing it tomorrow just isn’t that funny.

Stay tuned for more details.
I guess people are really going for it this year. I just can't believe this would actually be true, but only terrible things could come from it if it was.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 31, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

With the dumb joke he could have at least got a non DeviantArt image.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

I guess people are really going for it this year. I just can't believe this would actually be true, but only terrible things could come from it if it was.

You don't actually believe this do you?

Edit: Byrne hates everyone at Marvel.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

You don't actually believe this do you?

"I guess people are really going for it this year."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rhyno posted:

Fixed that for you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fixed that for you.

DC/Didio wants Byrne to come back and do more work for some stupid loving reason.

Senor Candle posted:

"I guess people are really going for it this year."

You were editing your post while I had the post window open.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

quote:

The Amalgam Universe is a brand-new, 12 part maxi series by super scribes Geoff Johns and Brian Michael Bendis with artwork by Olivier Copiel, Bryan Hitch, John Romita jr., Alex Maleev, Mike Deodato jr., and comics legend John Byrne, making his long awaited return to mainstream comics.
I would be hype for this and I'll call a liar anyone who says they wouldn't. What a beautiful dream :allears:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The real joke is that Deodato Jr. belongs anywhere near a list with the other artists.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I would be hype for this and I'll call a liar anyone who says they wouldn't. What a beautiful dream :allears:

Hitch pretty much told Marvel to go gently caress themselves as well. If he was gonna prank he should've come up with a list that could actually happen.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

DC/Didio wants Byrne to come back and do more work for some stupid loving reason.

You were editing your post while I had the post window open.

Oh yeah I edited it like 5 times in a row. My first instinct was to believe it because I didn't read it all the way through.

CapnAndy posted:

quote:

The Amalgam Universe will be published biweekly this September with many of your favorite regular comics ‘going dark’ for the duration of the series.

"The fallout from The Amalgam Universe is so big to both comic book universes, the changes so overwhelming, that you won’t recognize most of your favorite titles at the end of it.” said Bendis.
It would be like DC isn't happy just loving up their own books, they gotta go gently caress Marvel's books up too.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Jesus I'm dumb as poo poo today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BSS just gave this more attention than anyplace else will.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rhyno posted:

DC is always chasing the dragon of their past successes. None of their editorial or marketing decisions make the slightest sense otherwise.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Rhyno posted:

BSS just gave this more attention than anyplace else will.

If you go through the Tumblr notes there's actually a number of people believing it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

DC is always chasing the dragon of their past successes. None of their editorial or marketing decisions make the slightest sense otherwise.

They are just following NBC's model

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

If you go through the Tumblr notes there's actually a number of people believing it.

That doesn't count, Tumblr is 99% gullible morons.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I want this to be real, and get hype over it, but yeah, that deviantart watermark should be the first big flag to say, no this is all a prank.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Now I want Johns and Bendis to do an Image book that is this with different names for everyone.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
Someone recently referenced that when Iron Man was originally announced as the first Marvel studio movie, there was a lot of doubt on this forum that it would never be successful.

What properties were people thinking would be successful that Marvel actually controls?

Sturm fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 31, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sturm posted:

Someone recently referenced that when Iron Man was originally announced as the first Marvel studio movie, there was a lot of doubt on this forum, that it would never be successful.

What properties were people thinking would be successful that Marvel actually controls?

Nobody thought anything would ever be as successful as the X-Men or Spider-man film franchises so those were Marvel's two biggest comic franchises. Add in that the F4 and Hulk films were not as successful or well received.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Nobody thought anything would ever be as successful as the X-Men or Spider-man film franchises so those were Marvel's two biggest comic franchises. Add in that the F4 and Hulk films were not as successful or well received.

Don't forget the Captain America and Punisher movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

Don't forget the Captain America and Punisher movies.

The Captain America movie was what, 15 years prior? I did forget the Thomas Jane Punisher film though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think it was just the fact that Iron Man, as a character, wasn't much of a sell at the time compared to, say, Spider-Man. It was thought of as something which comic book fans would go to see, but the general public wouldn't bother with.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, the perception was that Marvel had no good franchises left, having signed away all their A-listers -- sorta by definition, anyone they had left was someone that movie studios didn't think were worth making a movie out of. Iron Man was a B-lister at best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some of us thought Iron Man was going to be a hit because we'd been jerking off to RDJ since Less than Zero.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The Captain America movie was what, 15 years prior? I did forget the Thomas Jane Punisher film though.

Everytime someone mentions the Punisher movies, I forget about the two recent ones and remember the Dolph Lundgren one instead. I'm happier this way.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
All I remember from the Thomas Jane Punisher is that he was getting his rear end handed to him by that guy from the Men at Work video.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still think the TJ flick was great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Action Tortoise posted:

All I remember from the Thomas Jane Punisher is that he was getting his rear end handed to him by that guy from the Men at Work video.

He also killed the Super Shredder and liked to gently caress around with fire hydrants.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Senor Candle posted:

I really think doing April fools before April 1st is cheating and goes against the spirit of the holiday. For that matter, so is explicitly denying that it's an April fool's joke in the joke itself. YES HYPERACTIVE I MEAN YOU.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

That would require someone to see Alan Moore.

EDIT: And who would you even confuse him with?

"I'm sorry sir I don't have any change"

bobkatt013 posted:

They are just following NBC's model

Replace "The Biggest Loser" with "Batman" and you're there.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

TwoPair posted:

Replace "The Biggest Loser" with "Batman" and you're there.

But isn't Batman the biggest loser?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
People also forget the Daredevil flop from that period too. Though it did bring forth the great mental image of our man in red with several gallons of gasoline carefully pouring out the DD symbol on the ground after subduing some crooks.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Senor Candle posted:

because announcing it tomorrow just isn’t that funny.

It's not funny the day before either.

Internet April Fool's is not funny.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

People also forget the Daredevil flop from that period too. Though it did bring forth the great mental image of our man in red with several gallons of gasoline carefully pouring out the DD symbol on the ground after subduing some crooks.
Gasoline evaporates, he would have had to use sterno :flashfact:

Also he's loving blind so I guess Matt just stuck around sniffing at the subway floor to check his penmanship or something????

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

It's not funny the day before either.

Internet April Fool's is not funny.

Well aren't you no fun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Daredevil can read ink as if it were braille. I don't think smelling the location of his too-90s inflammable signature is much harder.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

Gasoline evaporates, he would have had to use sterno :flashfact:

Also he's loving blind so I guess Matt just stuck around sniffing at the subway floor to check his penmanship or something????

Nah, he probably practiced a bunch and can do it automatically. He gets a warehouse, every time he draws one he sets it on fire and his super-senses can tell how straight the letters are by the heat pattern, practices until it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Nah, he probably practiced a bunch and can do it automatically. He gets a warehouse, every time he draws one he sets it on fire and his super-senses can tell how straight the letters are by the heat pattern, practices until it's perfect.

He then inadvertently bolsters Kingpin's business with a rash of slum warehouse fires that victims of Fisk's extortion rackets mistake for warnings and double their payments.

• Locked thread