Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poordna
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbot

What the.... What freeway was this? Looks familiar.. 92?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MAKE 'EM SAY UGH certainly is an accurate description of the owner's intention here

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As a 4th gen Prelude owner... ugh. :smith:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

MAKE 'EM SAY UGH certainly is an accurate description of the owner's intention here

Are those things in the front painted-over subwoofer cones? :psyduck:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

triple clutcher posted:

What is it about the Smart that sets off random anger in almost everybody? I see an iQ or one of those insectoid Mitsubishis and I'm just like "oh, neat". Smartcar? gently caress YOU I WILL RUN YOU OFF THE ROAD EVEN IF I HAVE TO WALK TWO BLOCKS BACK TO MY CAR TO DO SO.

I think it is the assumption that everyone who buys a smart car is all smuggy mc smuggerton about the fact that their car is better for the environment than yours. General vanity plate trends would tend to confirm this assumption.

It's like the Prius I saw once with the vanity plate "MY PART"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Because they think they're super clever for having a tiny car and stuff themselves into parking spots in all kinds of stupid ways.

This one has the plates "hi iq 42" (which is amusing to me because 42 mpg wasn't even all that great when the car was introduced, especially in a car that is nothing but a chair and four tires).

Used to park rotated at a full 90 degrees but eventually site security got tired of the complaints and ticketed the thing.

People probably give them a kick in the door as they walk past.

That plate sounds more like "Hi, my IQ is 42" :downs: to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I think it is the assumption that everyone who buys a smart car is all smuggy mc smuggerton about the fact that their car is better for the environment than yours. General vanity plate trends would tend to confirm this assumption.

I like to counter those arguments by telling them any 20 year old (or older) car is better for the environment than replacing it with a brand new car because of the manufacturing requirements.

They usually give me a fish out of water look for a few seconds before trying the "nuh-uh because I spend less on gas" line.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Counting the manufacture and averaged over the life of the vehicle, a 69 GTO Judge does less environmental damage per mile than any car built in the last 20 years.

So if you really care about the planet, drive big block muscle cars.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fucknag posted:

Counting the manufacture and averaged over the life of the vehicle, a 69 GTO Judge does less environmental damage per mile than any car built in the last 20 years.

So if you really care about the planet, drive big block muscle cars recycle, reuse, and reduce.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I had a buddy pull that poo poo on me when I got my Ram Daytona. Had it for a few years when I ran into him again, bout '08 when the economy took a poo poo.

He asked me how it was doing on gas, I was like, it sucks, getting like 14mpg.

"Should have kept your Honda, my new Civic gets like 40 :smug:"

Then I asked him how many miles he puts on it. He said like 30,000 a year, he uses it to commute. That's when I told him I had 25k on my Ram total and that he spent more cash on gas in a year then I will in two. Wasn't so smug after that.

There's been like three other times I had the same conversation with different people. It's almost as if driving responsibly saves gas!

e- the hilarious thing is he commutes to NYC to work a job where he makes a bit more than I do and he pisses it away on parking and gas.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 1, 2014

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

atomicthumbs posted:

Master P and the No Taste Army. I like to imagine they are subs, and he rolls around blasting music from them.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

It's like the Prius I saw once with the vanity plate "MY PART"

Which I really never understood. I always thought the point of the smart car is to be a tiny city car that is easier to park, ie being able to back into the curb where normally cars have to parallel park. They got decent mileage, but weren't designed to be commuters unless you lived in the city.

car2go(kinda like zipcar but with a bunch of smart cars) has been in seattle for a while now, and I was pretty surprised how much room there is in them. Being ~6'1", i expected it to be much more cramped than I was.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Black88GTA posted:

Buckets for rally lights, minus the rally lights

VikingSkull posted:

I had a buddy pull that poo poo on me when I got my Ram Daytona. Had it for a few years when I ran into him again, bout '08 when the economy took a poo poo.

He asked me how it was doing on gas, I was like, it sucks, getting like 14mpg.

"Should have kept your Honda, my new Civic gets like 40 :smug:"

Then I asked him how many miles he puts on it. He said like 30,000 a year, he uses it to commute. That's when I told him I had 25k on my Ram total and that he spent more cash on gas in a year then I will in two. Wasn't so smug after that.

There's been like three other times I had the same conversation with different people. It's almost as if driving responsibly saves gas!

e- the hilarious thing is he commutes to NYC to work a job where he makes a bit more than I do and he pisses it away on parking and gas.

There's some circular reasoning in this. Yes, your buddy has a dumb commute. However, assuming he feels he has to do it for his job/home locations and schedule, his Honda may be more suitable for his dumb commute than your truck would be. The argument that the GTO Judge is more enviro-friendly than a new Honda assumes the Honda never gets built, instead of getting built and just getting discounted until some other shmuck buys it, instead of I dunno keeping his scooter or something. The calculus of rates of return are highly personal, and one person's choice not to consume some resource doesn't mean it doesn't get consumed.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

This CRX has a look on its face like "Why Me?"

Crazy to see stuff like this still on the road 15 years after the tooners started chopping them up. Even more miraculously, it made the trip to Chicagoland from Tennessee without much of the bodywork flapping off.

Another classic honda from the 90's, this one might still be saved..

Make your own caption!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

NoWake posted:

Make your own caption!

"The Chrysler 200: Less a mere automobile, and more a mechanical cry for help."

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Black88GTA posted:

Guy i used to work with rocked a kit like this, and he put some kind of waterproof speakers in them. he had some kind of kit under his hood that made fake turbo blowoff noise and he used those speakers for it.

EDIT: This wonderful setup was on a 3rd gen Nissan Altima, to boot.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 1, 2014

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

No one ever questions a rollback taking a car.

This is so true it kind of scares me. I own a towing company and i tow cars frequently with out keys and alarms blaring and no one as much takes a second look.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

NoWake posted:

Make your own caption!

Skee-lo really ran out of money

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

iamthehans posted:

This is so true it kind of scares me. I own a towing company and I tow cars frequently with out keys and alarms blaring and no one as much takes a second look.

Not car related but I accidentally set of my burglar alarm the other week for which I don't have the code. I phoned the non emergency police number to tell them and they were just like, "that's cool, we'll put it in the system so that if a neighbour reports it no one will be sent out."

Helped me out at the time but I could have easily been a robber and spent the next hour emptying the place out.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Not car related but I accidentally set of my burglar alarm the other week for which I don't have the code. I phoned the non emergency police number to tell them and they were just like, "that's cool, we'll put it in the system so that if a neighbour reports it no one will be sent out."

Helped me out at the time but I could have easily been a robber and spent the next hour emptying the place out.

But homeowners setting off their own alarm system is ridiculously common. . . Did the alarm company at least verify your identity in any way? At the very least, they probably could have your cell phone number on record and use that to verify that is actually is your house. or your stolen cell phone but who cares at that point

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Crotch Fruit posted:

But homeowners setting off their own alarm system is ridiculously common. . . Did the alarm company at least verify your identity in any way? At the very least, they probably could have your cell phone number on record and use that to verify that is actually is your house. or your stolen cell phone but who cares at that point

I didn't even speak to the alarm company. I just phoned the non emergency police and my rental agency haha. I was also away for 5 days the week after and at some point it started going off and was still doing so when I got back. Never heard anything from the police or anyone.

It ended up being a problem with one of my fire alarms (they're all connected to the burglar alarm system for some reason.)

Anyway to bring this back to vehicles I was away for 5 days in one of these lovely vans...

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 1, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Yeah I guess that makes more sense.. I always thought the rating in the US was 42 mpg but looking it up, it's actually 41 mpg highway and 36 combined.

Goddamn one would have to be an idiot to buy a car that offers absolutely no storage space and doesn't even compensate with sperg levels of fuel economy. Pretty much every hatchback out there can hits those numbers and they maintain the ability to bring home a load of groceries.

Zipcar took its sweet-rear end time coming to my city, so Mercedes brought in its own car-sharing program using only Smartcars. There are Smarts all over the city nowadays but it's rare to see one that isn't a Car2Go. I'm entirely okay with this, especially because they stand out and let you file them in the mental category for "doesn't drive often".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phy posted:

Zipcar took its sweet-rear end time coming to my city, so Mercedes brought in its own car-sharing program using only Smartcars. There are Smarts all over the city nowadays but it's rare to see one that isn't a Car2Go. I'm entirely okay with this, especially because they stand out and let you file them in the mental category for "doesn't drive often".

I can't even describe how amazing it is to watch car-hating hipsters decide to get their first taste of inner-city winter driving with a short wheelbase RWD car on all-seasons.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I can't even describe how amazing it is to watch car-hating hipsters decide to get their first taste of inner-city winter driving with a short wheelbase RWD car on all-seasons.

Car hate and car-independent living doesn't happen here in the southwest, so the first time I watched a New York native drive was just phenomenal. I was terrified of his driving on every level, including his choice of car (beat to poo poo Crown Vic that had bald tires).

He's better now that the Army told him to take a defensive driving class.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Lack of good public transport is the most terrible car thing of all.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Um, pretty sure the Toyota mini dually is amazing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

uncle_skin posted:

Well it's that time of the year again when my town gets overtaken by donks. My house is right between two of the places they gather so I can sit on my porch and watch the parade of ridiculousness go by. I'll try to get some photos for this thread. In the meantime here's a video from last year. The cars start about two minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nYwVK0vKdU

I kind of kept this going off to the side while working on something else, and caught this @ about 12:46.
I swear that's a Jeep 2WD straight axle under that Caprice, or something very like it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

razorscooter posted:

Lack of good public transport is the most terrible car thing of all.

Wrong thread. I would drive that all day 'erryday.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Um, pretty sure the Toyota mini dually is amazing.

Yeah the Toyota Duallies are cool but I think they were only cube vans or campers, I think.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I have admittedly terrible taste in cars because the Toyota minitruck dually is awesome, that van is awesome, and donks/scrapers/bubbles are especially awesome. :v:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

It's a wrecked PT Cruiser, therefore it automatically belongs in this thread, but does anyone have any idea what is going on with cutting the metal around the emblem?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

JayKay posted:

It's a wrecked PT Cruiser, therefore it automatically belongs in this thread, but does anyone have any idea what is going on with cutting the metal around the emblem?

Hatch release jammed from the wreck and they had to get into it for personal belongings, most likely.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

JayKay posted:

Wrecked PT Cruiser? I'm gonna call wrong thread.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wrecked PT Cruiser? I'm gonna call wrong thread.

It's still on the road, so right thread.

Edit: Please tell me that truck in front of it is on the back of a flatbed and not a super bro truck.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Poisonlizard posted:

Edit: Please tell me that truck in front of it is on the back of a flatbed and not a super bro truck.

Super bro truck

Just kidding, it's a flat bed. Said flat bed is also towing the PT cruiser

JayKay fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 2, 2014

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Poisonlizard posted:

When you Lease a Super Bro Pickup 4x420 you get a complimentary full-release Starbucks.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Are... are the fenders on hinges? :psyduck:

Edit- Or do they just stick out like that all the time? Not sure which would be worse.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is it meant to transform...? Or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
It kind of blows my mind that lambo doors are still a thing.

Jesus christ, 14/15 years ago in high school people had that poo poo.

e. I will admit that lambo fenders are a fun new twist