Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Might be S4C you were thinking of?

Going to be cancelling the TV license this year because we genuinely don't watch broadcast TV in this house (the TiVo box has been unplugged for months). Can't wait to be treated like a criminal because of this.
If you're electronically minded, you can look online and see how to disable the TV reciever on your set, otherwise it's a bit back-and-forth as to whether courts will side with you or with the BBC's current stance of 'if it's capable of recieving TV, you need a license.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Is that really their stance? Where did you hear that? I haven't seen the BBC suggest anything contrary to the actual law but then I don't exactly keep up with court proceedings.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I went 7 years without a license before so I know exactly the kind of lies and bullshit they'll throw around. The letters run in loops - they start friendly, get angrier and angrier up to the point where they pretend they've visited even when they haven't. Then eventually it all resets and you go back to getting the first letters again.

If you tell them you don't have a TV set capable of receiving broadcasts, that's when they start lying about legal access to your property and the like. Then we have the nonsense about 'TV detector vans' from the past. Regardless or not as to whether you agree with the license fee (I don't care either way, I simply don't watch it), their tactics are generally full of lies and bullshit and they can go gently caress themselves. They're a private company who have no legal way into your house whether they like it or not.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

:toot: Good luck mate. For what it's worth I know a bloke who cancelled his licence recently and apparently it went without a hitch (they even gave a refund for the past six months he didn't have a telly). Perhaps matters have improved since your previous experience or maybe it's just luck of the draw.

Daedo
May 5, 2002
I cancelled my TV license last year since I never watch live TV anymore. Once I cancelled they sent a letter telling me to fill out an online form saying I don't require a license. Did that, and receive another letter saying thanks and they'll contact me again in 2015 to see if my circumstances have changed. Not heard a thing from them since, things couldn't have went more smoothly.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dicky B posted:

Is that really their stance? Where did you hear that? I haven't seen the BBC suggest anything contrary to the actual law but then I don't exactly keep up with court proceedings.
It was a few years back, but there were a few cases where the BBC were trying to argue if you'd been watching iPlayer you need a license, if your TV was capable of recieving broadcasts you'd need one, all kinds of bullshit. At one point I think the law changed from you having to prove you hadn't been watching TV, to the Beeb having to prove you had, but I'd be interested to know what the situation is.

I remember when I was in halls about 10 years ago the advice was to just not keep an aerial or lead in your room, which suited me fine.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It was a few years back, but there were a few cases where the BBC were trying to argue if you'd been watching iPlayer you need a license, if your TV was capable of recieving broadcasts you'd need one, all kinds of bullshit. At one point I think the law changed from you having to prove you hadn't been watching TV, to the Beeb having to prove you had, but I'd be interested to know what the situation is.

I remember when I was in halls about 10 years ago the advice was to just not keep an aerial or lead in your room, which suited me fine.

To be fair, you do need a license if you watch iPlayer, right?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Rekka posted:

To be fair, you do need a license if you watch iPlayer, right?

Only to watch the live broadcasts, archived shows don't. Unless they've changed it recently.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They've not, but Greg Dyke has spoken out about it recently. I imagine they're in a bit of a bind with the wording of the fee.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

From what I've read/understood, and correct me if I'm wrong, the current law is this: You need a TV license if you watch or record programmes live as they are being broadcast. For anything else, you don't need one.

Here's the wacky bit:

- If you own a device capable of receiving live television broadcasts, but you don't use it for that, you don't need a licence. (You don't need to impair the device in any way to render it incapable of receiving live broadcasts.)
- You are not legally obligated to prove to anyone whether you do or do not watch live television using the device which you may or may not own (though you probably should if you're not deliberately trying to be a dick)

Meaning the current law essentially comes down to "please don't lie to us!!!". Puts the BBC in quite a feeble position so I won't be surprised if some changes get pushed through.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Answer me this: when does a live broadcast become a not live broadcast? What about buffer length and latency etc. is that arguable in court?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

thehustler posted:

Answer me this: when does a live broadcast become a not live broadcast? What about buffer length and latency etc. is that arguable in court?

No, and it wouldn't make you look good if you did.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I went to see Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast and he made fun of me and the girlfriend cos we were in the front row :3:

It was good, Danny Baker didn't stop talking and Josie Long :love:

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Bozza posted:

I went to see Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast and he made fun of me and the girlfriend cos we were in the front row :3:

It was good, Danny Baker didn't stop talking and Josie Long :love:

She is good isn't she. :allears:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

She is good isn't she. :allears:

She tweeted a reply to me after the show. Nearly died. Girlfriend was a little annoyed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

thehustler posted:

While you would not be viewing the live broadcast, you would be accessing it as it was broadcast in the same way you would by using a video recorder, so no.

It's only now being made legal for you to copy a piece of music you've bought onto a different format. There were arguments ~15 years ago about whether computers should be "allowed" to play music CDs at all, or if copying the music into ram counted as format shifting.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The London Live TV channel launches tomorrow. What happened to the to the other regional channels are they happening as well? (not that anyone will watch them)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sidenote, there used to be a piece of European legislation that guaranteed British citizens the right to make one backup of any piece of software for personal use. I wish I could remember what the act was called.

It also stipulated that it was illegal for any company to attempt to circumvent this right, so technically for a while copy protection was illegal in the UK, it's just that nobody ever enforced it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Metrication posted:

The London Live TV channel launches tomorrow. What happened to the to the other regional channels are they happening as well? (not that anyone will watch them)

Still being started up slowly. Still all going to loving fail miserably.

London Live are using DSLRs in filmic mode and cheap robot arms for their studio output which says everything you need to know. This was never going to work, and it will never work. Channel M had a decent go of it, but even that wasn't great.

In terms of professionalism, Mustard seem to the best quality.

Good thread here with London Live info: http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thenewsroom/london-live-39679/page-15#post-909101
Edit: This one's a great thread about the new local TV stations in general: http://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/local-tv-presentation-programming-39332/page-25?msg=102#post-909120

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 31, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Bloody hell that Edge of Life documentary by Louis Theroux was a hard watch. Had a few tears when Javier was getting married :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The news reports that London Live launches at 6.30pm, their official Twitter said 15 minutes ago that it was 'just under an hour', but the website counted down to launch for 6pm and now thinks it's live.

They can't even decide what goddamn time it starts (it's 6.30pm I believe, but I'm not in London so can't tell and don't really care - I just want to see screwups!)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

Bloody hell that Edge of Life documentary by Louis Theroux was a hard watch. Had a few tears when Javier was getting married :(

I just finished watching it. Top stuff. Some incredible people there, staff, patients, and relatives. I can't think of anyone who could have handled the subject as well as Louis theroux does.

Btw it's incredibly galling, to me, that when I type Louis on my SwiftKey keyboard it suggests Walsh as the next word. Pos.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I just finished watching it. Top stuff. Some incredible people there, staff, patients, and relatives. I can't think of anyone who could have handled the subject as well as Louis theroux does.

Btw it's incredibly galling, to me, that when I type Louis on my SwiftKey keyboard it suggests Walsh as the next word. Pos.

Actually, I thought the director of the hospital which was treating Langston was not a very good communicator. The first time we see her she basically confuses the hell out of the family.

Also, that foreign lady doctor who was treating Javier was also quite poor at communicating - she just assumed that the family would know that, because she'd offered home care, they would realise this was her basically saying he had no chance.

Dontay just seemed so much in denial though :( Poor guy. I'm glad they didn't go into too much detail about the unhealable wound in his arse :(

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah I didn't mean they were all incredible, but some of them certainly are. I thought some of the relatives were complete morons until, well, That guy Langstone (?) wakes up, to the amazement of every expert involved.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
London Live

tada.wav
Dec 24, 2013

tada.wav fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 25, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The most amazing part to me was Lanston's relatives. They all were so confident he was going to be fine, so calm, almost :smug:. Oh, pft, you know nothing, he'll get better in no time. And it really looked like a horrible denial that would hit them later when the gravity of the situation finally catches up with them... Yet they were right all along somehow. I am not ashamed to admit this episode made me cry a bit.

Also, I can't imagine how Louis manages it. I assume during those several months he had to spent half a day with dying people, with their sorrows and pain, then go to see dog owners obsessed or disillusioned with their pets only to end the day with meeting some sex offenders. All that, while maintaining his usual veneer of friendly inquisitiveness and somewhat awkward compassion.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The thing with Langston's situation is that what the neurologist was saying was absolutely right. All the doctors can go on is the evidence they have of the situation, and past experiences with other patients who've also been in that situation. It's absolutely amazing that he recovered, and it really was one in a million. Given a larger sample size, you could guarantee that 99% of people in the same situation as Langston would never ever recover. It was really great that he did recover though, was nice to have a bit of positivity at the end.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

So, Holby City - Anyone else see that ending coming? Holy poo poo I've never laughed so hard at something supposed to be so serious.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Looke posted:

So, Holby City - Anyone else see that ending coming? Holy poo poo I've never laughed so hard at something supposed to be so serious.

Might as well just post it.

And it better be equally as good as the now-legendary Phil Mitchell - Crack Addict.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It never occured to me that anyone actually watches Casualty.
Is anyone watching New World. It's a bit poo poo, thought I can't say I've given it a fair shake. I suspect the best thing about it is the period wardrobe.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

thehustler posted:

In terms of professionalism, Mustard seem to the best quality.

North Norfolk Digital TV (sorry, Mustard) is ok and in parts you could think you were watching a soft news program from Look East, then the sports comes on and the lighting a camra quality gives it away.

I suppose its a good way for people to get work experiance but just like radio we have come to expect a certain level of quality and when you don't get it you turn over. Do we really need yet another channel that's even more local than the local BBC stuff?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

VogeGandire posted:

Might as well just post it.

And it better be equally as good as the now-legendary Phil Mitchell - Crack Addict.

That's a bit of a tall order trying to match that, however...

(I doubt anyone cares, but I'll spoiler it just incase.)

Basically two nurses are about to get married, male nurses ex tries to get on him before he gets married but he rejects her and says that he loves lady nurse etc etc. He rushes to the church where he's about to get married (he's late because he was in surgery, lol) His wife-to-be see's him and is like "omg you arrived I love you so much" goes to cross the road to embrace him and gets hit by a lorry and dies.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hahahaha yesssss.
Also, I just noticed the nerdy flat-mate in the BT ads reads the Daily Star. Come on, NF-MitBTA, have some self-respect.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

For UKers:

quote:

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

And for the Republic of Irish people (myself):

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

quote:

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it. Failure to produce evidence of a television licence to an inspector can result in a court appearance and on conviction, you can receive a substantial fine. People who have been fined and who have breached court orders directing them to pay their television licence can be imprisoned.

You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial.

gently caress RTE.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is some amazing melodrama. Did they do the shot so it all happens from his POV?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Looke posted:

after reading your spoiler of it, it's basically exactly what happened to Max on Hollyoaks except that also involved him pushing a kid out of the way of the oncoming vehicle. Zero points for originality

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My favorite bbc death has to be that episode of Silent Witness where handsome-doctor goes on a date with a detective, and she steps out into the road and gets hit by a bus right in front of him. We see him back at the morgue telling handsome-girl-doctor and handsome-old-doctor all about it. He shrugs it off as "just one of those things" and then they get drunk and play cards because they're all dead inside.

Hilarious!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

that's pretty much how holby played out, laughs for all the family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

I'm pretty sure for a while owning a computer meant you technically needed a licence in the UK because you could potentially install a TV card (this was a few years before your new-fangled on demand services)