Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gensuki posted:

Of course a princess can be threatening, as shown by the Maui Princess picture posted earlier. The title though, is itself not threatening.
But it won't "break the mood". If my character is axing people into incinerators I won't care if they call her Princess Buttercup. That can make it worse, if done well.

For the record, I'm disagreeing with the idea that being called princess breaks the mood, but I'm aware that the company in question might very well think it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
They just wanted to keep it consistent with the rest of the Deception games, I think. The renaming was an exception for Japan, not the rest of the world. That said, you should probably avoid that game/series. The portrayal of women isn't exactly positive in it, hell the protagonist of Deception IV is barely wearing clothes.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

gegi posted:

Xena: Warrior Princess.

It does have that association in general but there have been counterexamples. Even Disney Princesses aren't that frilly and pink anymore.

Good point. I guess we have made progress with princesses becoming less of a fragile damsel in a tower.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
I may have just gotten a season of Xena as a belated birthday gift. Possibly.

Fun story, when I was much younger and didn't comprehend the difference between genders I wanted to be Xena. This was because, after watching Xena and Hercules on TV, I decided she was the best because she had a sword and Hercules only had a stick. My parents just thought it was adorable, and there wasn't really any upset backlash from them because I'd said I wanted to be a female character.

That was nice. Why isn't there a Xena game? I'd play that. Oh, wait, I just realized that by saying that I have crafted a game from the quantum ether. Someone is going to pop and say, "Well, actually..." and it's going to be awful.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well, actually...

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Bacchante posted:

That was nice. Why isn't there a Xena game? I'd play that. Oh, wait, I just realized that by saying that I have crafted a game from the quantum ether. Someone is going to pop and say, "Well, actually..." and it's going to be awful.

Well, I found it on a listicle of 5 Terrible Video Game TV Show Adaptations, if that's any indication.

Behold Xena in 90s PS1 form.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Bacchante posted:

Fun story, when I was much younger and didn't comprehend the difference between genders I wanted to be Xena. This was because, after watching Xena and Hercules on TV, I decided she was the best because she had a sword and Hercules only had a stick. My parents just thought it was adorable, and there wasn't really any upset backlash from them because I'd said I wanted to be a female character.

As I've heard from parents, this kind of thing happens all the time. Heck, when I was very young I wanted to be Luna because as a proto-scifi-nerd I loved the show and the only young male character was portrayed as a complete rear end in a top hat. There was also a boy in my class who was absolutely overjoyed at being cast as the Fairy Godmother in a small group play (it wasn't the whole school involved and there weren't many girls in the subgroup).

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Bacchante posted:

I may have just gotten a season of Xena as a belated birthday gift. Possibly.

Pretty sure I still have the Xena N64 fighting game (e: this one). It wasn't bad, just kind of dull to play on your own (playing against your siblings on the other hand...). Granted, I haven't played it in years; it probably wouldn't hold up to my memories.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 30, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does Rose & Camellia count as a girl game? It's flash, it has an all-girl cast, and lots of slapping.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
As an artist, I always struggled when drawing tomatoes.

NOT ANYMORE!!!

http://howtodraw.123peppy.com/cartoon-tomato/2150

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 31, 2014

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose
On things having "princess" in the title being assumed to be for little girls: Back when Twilight Princess was coming out, I was telling a friend of mine about how excited I was for it, and iirc he said something about not being interested in it, and then started talking about DMC or something. I was surprised (and annoyed that he just seemed to blow me off) and asked him if he just wasn't into TP, or didn't like LoZ as a whole. He basically replied with "lol i dunno isnt it for girls?" I was really confused, until he explained that it has princess in the title, so thus it's for girls.

So not only did I meet the one person who regularly plays games that had never heard of Legend of Zelda, but he also immediately blew me off because of the "girly" title. :rolleyes:

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Does Rose & Camellia count as a girl game? It's flash, it has an all-girl cast, and lots of slapping.

R&C is what I imagine a very very heavily abridged soap opera being turned into a game looks like.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, I know! Let's make this an exercise. Using what you've learned from the thread so far, IS this or is this not a Girl Game?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Devious Vacuum posted:

Oh, I know! Let's make this an exercise. Using what you've learned from the thread so far, IS this or is this not a Girl Game?

On the one hand, it's a flash game about women slapping people, which goes in the Girl Game column. On the other hand, it has impressive production values for a flash game, cool faux-Baroque music that's not lifted from somewhere else, and an actual plot, which suggests against Girl Game. Also, it's made by Team Nigoro, which is a big flashing "Not Girl Game" light.

I'm going with "it's not a Girl Game, but it's a game featuring a strong (literally strong, she slaps the hell out of people) female protagonist that men and women alike can get into. Slap the gently caress out of those old crones!"

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Patter Song posted:

On the one hand, it's a flash game about women slapping people, which goes in the Girl Game column. On the other hand, it has impressive production values for a flash game, cool faux-Baroque music that's not lifted from somewhere else, and an actual plot, which suggests against Girl Game. Also, it's made by Team Nigoro, which is a big flashing "Not Girl Game" light.

I'm going with "it's not a Girl Game, but it's a game featuring a strong (literally strong, she slaps the hell out of people) female protagonist that men and women alike can get into. Slap the gently caress out of those old crones!"

Got it in one!

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I tried my hand at carving soap.

Instructions from here: http://crafts.123peppy.com/popeye-soap-carving/55

azren
Feb 14, 2011

chocolatekake posted:

Your result made me smile! :)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hahaha, that was awesome. Carving soap looks difficult (and dangerous! KNIVES)!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

chocolatekake posted:

This is beautiful and you are beautiful.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

chocolatekake posted:

Your hair is the loveliest color.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

tinkerttoy posted:

Your hair is the loveliest color.

Speaking of double standards!

Imagine if this comment was aimed at a woman (for example, myself) LPer instead of our (I'm assuming) Let's Pladdie chocolatekake. Wouldn't that be creepy?

It sure would be. Choco's hair has nothing to do with the video's content or any of the jokes. Don't be creepy.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

chocolatekake posted:

I spent so much of that video worried you were going to accidentally cut yourself :ohdear:
Great result!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

:siren: UPDATE??? :siren:

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
3D U is the best Nintendo console.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Gah! I can't look at your eraser. Get a kneaded one.

I didn't expect a POV LP. We need more of reverse facecam.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

SelenicMartian posted:

Gah! I can't look at your eraser. Get a kneaded one.

I didn't expect a POV LP. We need more of reverse facecam.

I actually really dislike the feeling of kneaded erasers. I don't even know. I have problems. Magic Erase 4 Lyfe

necroid
May 14, 2009

Looks like somebody needs to learn how to hold a pencil before they try drawing something with it... Maybe build a robot that teaches you how or even better one that draws for you huh?!?

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

necroid posted:

Looks like somebody needs to learn how to hold a pencil before they try drawing something with it... Maybe build a robot that teaches you how or even better one that draws for you huh?!?

HANDSHAMER!

WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER FOR YOU PEOPLE!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

HANDSHAMER!

You've been busted by the art police!

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

SelenicMartian posted:

You've been busted by the art police!

No critiques please

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

I like the shading technique you used on the U. Where did you learn that?

HelmetCondenser
Nov 7, 2009

Devious Vacuum posted:

HANDSHAMER!

I'm sorry DVac, but you've hosed up and revealed your lack of high-level pencil technique.

Even I, a mediocre artist, have developed a nuanced pencil hold:

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
You put my drawing skills to shame. Guess it is time to throw out my pencils.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
Hot drat, what a moving update :allears:.

Did someone say fanart?

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxv146LqmeQ

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Your mouse cursor was turned into a pencil. Makes sense, considering you were on the drawing pages. But when I was carving, mine was a caterpillar?

Also, maybe you should apply to 123peppy.com. They really look like they could use a more competent artist, like you. Plus they could break out into the "Boy Games" market with your "How to Draw A Penis," which is every boy's dream.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Skanker posted:

The portrayal of women isn't exactly positive in it, hell the protagonist of Deception IV is barely wearing clothes.

Apart from the main character having the wedgie to end all wedgies she's not the worst series protagonist by a longshot. She plays her role totally straight and humorlessly while sometimes seeming... half asleep. The princess needs her loving coffee before a long day of murdering, my god. There are supposedly other costumes, too, but I know nothing about unlocking them or what they actually look like. Her demon buddies are a lot less serious. There is at least one instance of her being a princess, though! A guy named Vale is the only character so far that addresses her properly.

This is serious progress for the series. Kagero 2/Trapt/??? was the worst and most vile of the series. Hapless princess lady is forced to accept the contract of the castle due to being framed for murder or something? A(l)licia was renamed Allura because reasons :downs: but kept her fabulous super-short skirt-outfit that forms a natural arrow pointing to her crotch! To be fair everyone wears garb that wouldn't be accepted in a Final Fantasy game but her clothing is honestly the least indignity Allur-icia must face. Being able to kill the man making rape-y dialogue does not make it better :mad:.

Deception 3 had an unwilling lead as well but she's actually fairly likeable from what I remember and she's wearing more stuff more practical than lingerie! Kagero/ Deception 2 just had a robot in a dress instead of a main character. Millenia murders mostly based on orders but isn't resentful of them, she just doesn't care. If IV's lead is rife with emotion in comparison. The only notable female characters in Deception 1 were a princess who dies and may/may not be resurrected as a summonable attack-monster and Astarte, who serves as an adviser to the main character and helps try to find Satan's lost jewelry. Somehow rings and necklaces will free him from the confines of some magic mirror portal thing.

I didn't really grow up being aware of 'girl' games so this thread is fascinating! Coloring books and dolls and fake kitchen gear were what girls played with, them vidja games were supposed to be for boys! I received so, so much abuse growing up for my insistence on playing with Pitfall Harry and Mario. Why do you have Ninja Turtles in addition to Barbies what's wrong with you. All it did was encourage me to bury my feminine side. I got better, though, and wear dresses because I want to. Bwa ha ha :j:!

I don't think anything can top the Beautiful Car, though. Not even that puppy. Now, put the puppy in the car, that would be the most amazing thing.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

In Deception 3 Millennia is pretty much just a robot who happens to look like a lady. It's also implied in one of the endings that she is turned into Astarte by satan which leads into Deception 1. (Where she ended up manipulating basically everyone to resurrect satan) Reina was one of the better protagonistscharacters of the series, with an actual personality besides 'inept damsel'. Also, unnecessary midriff aside, they actually gave her a reasonably practical outfit that didn't look ridiculously sexualized.
Baby steps, I guess.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Dyslexiactic posted:

Hot drat, what a moving update :allears:.

Did someone say fanart?

Help I'm die

This is all I ever wanted

Just some appreciation for my beautiful art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Elissia posted:

In Deception 3 Millennia is pretty much just a robot who happens to look like a lady. It's also implied in one of the endings that she is turned into Astarte by satan which leads into Deception 1.

Huh. I forgot all about Ms. Brainwashed's implied ending. At least Satan is less irritating than the timenoids (you know your race name is too long when the game abbreviates it). IV is the first time a lead acts under her own volition rather than being blackmailed/brainwashed/compelled by maaagic even if her fashion sense is bonkers. It's not offensive as much as it is painful-looking. Normal wedgies are bad enough :gonk:.

Devious Vacuum posted:

Just some appreciation for my beautiful art

I unironically want an icon of the deranged cartoon dishwasher... or is it really a carton dishwasher? Maybe that's why it's so deranged-looking! Please allow me to embellish it with pretty colors to replace my balding Captain Scarlet :3:?

• Locked thread