Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

celebratory..... subs?
Pr0k's Mom upon remembering her safe word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah it's pretty nuts, after both of us being students and me being the only one working (she had school 44+ hours a week) we somehow can't afford super expensive restaurants. Also, the subs are loving awesome.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Iron Lung posted:

Yeah it's pretty nuts, after both of us being students and me being the only one working (she had school 44+ hours a week) we somehow can't afford super expensive restaurants. Also, the subs are loving awesome.

What kinds of cheese are in them? Also, you're a loser if you get shredded lettuce inside. You may as well eat cotton balls. Waste of sandwich real estate.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

What kinds of cheese are in them? Also, you're a loser if you get shredded lettuce inside. You may as well eat cotton balls. Waste of sandwich real estate.

Shredded lettuce provides both crunch and moisture. I disagree with you, sir, strongly!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

therattle posted:

Shredded lettuce provides both crunch and moisture. I disagree with you, sir, strongly!

Your moisture should come from other amenities, such as a mustard, vinegar or oil based dressing, or other sauce. Have at you! And if your bread or other vegetables (or fried meat) don't provide enough crunch then I don't know what to say to you!

Good day, sir.

I said good day!

edit: I would accept possibly a healthier shredded cabbage, perhaps. But lettuce is too...:gay:...weak in the knees.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 30, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nope, you are wrong. When applied in the correct proportions, this:

therattle posted:

Although I do loves me some kraut on a sandwich.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Nope, you are wrong. When applied in the correct proportions, this:

Although I do loves me some kraut on a sandwich.

Correct proportions of one ppm, maybe. A little mustard/whatever and some avocado do the trick just fine most of the time, thankyouverymuch.

I like sour kraut.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Swiss cheese, and an awesome amount of shredded lettuce which I think is crucial to a good subs form and structure. And coleslaw. Mmmm coleslaw.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Cabbage salad (finely sliced, simple vinaigrette) is delicious in subs. It's such an underrated salad vegetable.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Iron Lung posted:

Swiss cheese, and an awesome amount of shredded lettuce which I think is crucial to a good subs form and structure. And coleslaw. Mmmm coleslaw.

Especially a western Carolina slaw, which is mayonaise-less.

Bring it, y'all. :colbert:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Sjurygg posted:

Cabbage salad (finely sliced, simple vinaigrette) is delicious in subs. It's such an underrated salad vegetable.

Pizzasallad bäst sallad!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://noma.dk/japan/

Noma is shutting down for two months in 2015 and making a popup restaurant in Tokyo.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 30, 2014

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

That would be acceptable, as would raw cucumber or pickle. Tomato has its place in certain circumstances. Mustard and other condiments, although essential, do not provide adequate moistness for my liking.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

You like it real moist, eh therattle? Can't blame you. I like my pie dripping wet when I eat it. Preferably with some pickles afterward, for electrolytes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

You like it real moist, eh therattle? Can't blame you. I like my pie dripping wet when I eat it. Preferably with some pickles afterward, for electrolytes.

You disgust me. But yes, I don't like chowing down on a dry pie. The wetter the better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm picking up some serious undertones here now...

It's confusing and scary; I'm not Nigella Lawson.

Kudden
Dec 10, 2007

Not only does 12+1=11+2, but the letters "twelve plus one" rearrange to give you "eleven plus two"

DekeThornton posted:

Pizzasallad bäst sallad!

Quoted for truth! :sweden:

In all seriousness though I made a sausage, sourkrout and lots of spicy mustard sub for lunch today. 5/5 would eat again.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

What can I substitute for catalina dressing in Indian pizza? I'm all out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I want to meet this person that stocks garam masala, cumin, and Catalina dressing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I don't even know what's going on in that recipe, but a mixture of vinegar and worcestershirechorstchireshor sauce is probably a poor man's substitute. I mean it's basically tomato paste, sugar, the two things above and oil, plus paprika and salt/pepper/spices so...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

what I want to know is why all the pizza recipes are called "Pizzeria Pizza"

what the gently caress is Pizzeria Pizza

KRAFT Cheese Italian Pizzazz Burgers
KRAFT Cheese Italian Pizzazz...
Pizzabilities
Pizzabilities
Masala Chicken Pizzeria Pizza
Thai Chicken Pizzeria Pizza
BBQ Chicken Pizzeria Pizza
Margherita Pizzeria Pizza
Bacon-Mushroom Pizzeria Pizza

im in a strange world where the word 'pizza' has lost its selfsame identity aaaaaaaaaaaa send help

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

what I want to know is why all the pizza recipes are called "Pizzeria Pizza"

what the gently caress is Pizzeria Pizza

KRAFT Cheese Italian Pizzazz Burgers
KRAFT Cheese Italian Pizzazz...
Pizzabilities
Pizzabilities

im in a strange world where the word 'pizza' has lost its selfsame identity aaaaaaaaaaaa send help

Alas, that is by no means the worst thing about that list/concept.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Drifter posted:

I don't even know what's going on in that recipe, but a mixture of vinegar and worcestershirechorstchireshor sauce is probably a poor man's substitute. I mean it's basically tomato paste, sugar, the two things above and oil, plus paprika and salt/pepper/spices so...

did you just give a serious answer to a question asking about Catalina dressing in an Indian pizza?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ike's subs are $9-15, so not exactly like Subway or something as a celebratory lunch.

I probably have garam masala, cumin and Catalina all in my pantry, but that pizza sounds loving disgusting.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

God drat it never fails - every single time I boil a brine to make some pickles, I get a nice hot faceful of vinegar steam. When oh when will I learn.

On the positive side, they are delicious. I really, really love vinegar so my brine is essentially 100% distilled white vinegar with peppercorns, salt, and a shitload of red pepper flakes. I also bought some of that non-alum pickle crisp poo poo, which works like a charm. They're not the prettiest pickles in the world but drat they're good, and super cheap compared to storebought.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

did you just give a serious answer to a question asking about Catalina dressing in an Indian pizza?
I live in a serious house on a serious earth.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

I live in a serious house on a serious earth.

Then why are you posting on a humour forum? :smug:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Midniter posted:

God drat it never fails - every single time I boil a brine to make some pickles, I get a nice hot faceful of vinegar steam. When oh when will I learn.

On the positive side, they are delicious. I really, really love vinegar so my brine is essentially 100% distilled white vinegar with peppercorns, salt, and a shitload of red pepper flakes. I also bought some of that non-alum pickle crisp poo poo, which works like a charm. They're not the prettiest pickles in the world but drat they're good, and super cheap compared to storebought.
Homemade pickles rock, but I think the only kind I regularly make with vinegar are bread and butter pickles. Last year the garden was producing about ten
pounds of cukes a week, and about three quarters of those ended up being lacto fermented. If for no other reason than I can buy cukes in vinegar at the store, and fermented pickles are drat near a lost art.

Fermentation rocks. Ferment all the vegetables.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Fermentation is a good first step but "Civilization begins with distillation" - Faulkner.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Homemade pickles rock, but I think the only kind I regularly make with vinegar are bread and butter pickles. Last year the garden was producing about ten
pounds of cukes a week, and about three quarters of those ended up being lacto fermented. If for no other reason than I can buy cukes in vinegar at the store, and fermented pickles are drat near a lost art.

Fermentation rocks. Ferment all the vegetables.

Tell me more.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

therattle posted:

Then why are you posting on a humour forum? :smug:

Because my sense of humor is serious business.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Goddamnit why do I keep forgetting to season things before putting them in the vac bags to svizzle :byodood:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

Because my sense of humor is serious business.

Are you a...Serious Man?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

Tell me more.

Yes, please. The woman and I did some Japanese pickles last year (using rice bran as a medium), but it was a pain in the rear end to feed/maintain it every day, so we gave up after a few months.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daeren posted:

Goddamnit why do I keep forgetting to season things before putting them in the vac bags to svizzle :byodood:

It's not the end of the world if you don't. I never use pepper before I bag because pepper gets funky with long cooking times.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I love food blogs!!

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
^^ I swear to God I thought that was something's dick for a moment.

Svizzle status: complete, and it was a hit even without the seasoning.

I did asparagus at 185 for fifteen minutes, cooled the water, duck breasts at 137 for about an hour and fifteen minutes, rendered the skins in a skillet to finish them off, took the duck fat, mixed it with melted butter, and made a duck fat ghetto hollandaise with an immersion blender to go on the asparagus.

The hollandaise clumped up the moment I looked at it funny and it wasn't that pretty on the plate, but it combined with the sous-vide asparagus to make the best version of asparagus I've ever eaten, and the duck was pretty great too. I cranked up the temperature a bit to make it a bit closer to medium for my mother, but I think I'd take it back down to 135 for a bit longer if I made it again.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Looks like someone is trying to riff Reichstag's photos a bit too hard.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Is it unwise to attempt to deep fry things using a 32qt stock pot and an electric coil-top stove? I've got a Thermapen so at least I know I'd be at the right temps. I ask because if this is a stupid and dangerous idea, I won't bother buying the other equipment needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

Is it unwise to attempt to deep fry things using a 32qt stock pot and an electric coil-top stove? I've got a Thermapen so at least I know I'd be at the right temps. I ask because if this is a stupid and dangerous idea, I won't bother buying the other equipment needed.

Not at all. Keep the pot ⅓ to ½ way full of oil, fry in batches, don't put in food that's any wetter than it has to be, keep an eye on your temp, and keep a fire extinguisher within arms reach.