Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Yes but it's being done in "conjunction" with Gainax. I don't think Anno owns any particular rights to the Evangelion franchise.

That's what I thought. Even if Eva is Anno's brainchild, it's still Gainax that produced the original stuff and owns the copyrights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

That's what I thought. Even if Eva is Anno's brainchild, it's still Gainax that produced the original stuff and owns the copyrights.
More likely it's the production committee that jointly holds the rights. Remember, studios rarely directly foot the entire bill for a series, so it's going to be a work for hire and the rights are held by the employer. In Japan when the employer is a juridical person rather than a natural one the term of the copyright is limited to 50 years, but cinematographic works have a term of 70 years and I'm not clear on how the two rules interact.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is Anno not still a board member/shareholder of Gainax or whatever? I assumed he would be, given that he was a founder.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

According to Wikipedia, he resigned from Gainax in 07.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Right. Does he still have a stake, though?

Mostly I am wondering if, by the magic of business shenanigans, he has to at some point pay himself for the privilege of working with his brainchild.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Paracelsus posted:

More likely it's the production committee that jointly holds the rights. Remember, studios rarely directly foot the entire bill for a series, so it's going to be a work for hire and the rights are held by the employer. In Japan when the employer is a juridical person rather than a natural one the term of the copyright is limited to 50 years, but cinematographic works have a term of 70 years and I'm not clear on how the two rules interact.
"Original Creator": Gainax (TV Series)/Hideaki Anno (New Theatrical Editions) - Gets cut of everything as original creator.
"Production": TV Tokyo/NAS (TV Series)/ Studio Khara (New Theatrical Editions) - Paid for production to be made

There's several different copyrights for the series. Recent ones have been Gainax-Khara/Project Eva (showing Gainax/Khara as original creators and the committee (TV Tokyo/NAS/King Records most likely) as the anime rights holders for various purposes) and Gainax-Khara/Eva Production committee (same thing).

(In short, Gainax is still getting Eva money.)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It really depends on his contract of ownership, which isn't exactly public. We still don't know if Imaishi & Trigger hold the rights & are able to produce more Panty & Stocking if they wanted to for example.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey Gainax, how you doing? I see you got a new key visual for Magica Wars out. Let's see it.

Oh, okay. I'll leave you to that.

Impressive how an image with so much poo poo going on can look so incredibly lifeless.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like how the facial expression of the girl in center is completely unnatural. I didn't know an anime could be a bad actor.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The characters seem as lost and confused as the viewer.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Zorak posted:

It really depends on his contract of ownership, which isn't exactly public. We still don't know if Imaishi & Trigger hold the rights & are able to produce more Panty & Stocking if they wanted to for example.

I definitely remember reading an Imaishi Q&A of some sort where he was asked about the prospect of Trigger making more P&S and he seemed to confirm that it would be no trouble for them to do but they weren't really interested in it so soon and wanted to establish themselves as independent from Gainax and get to make a few original things (and I guess keep the lights on with whatever the hell this next thing they're making is) before considering touching the property again, but I can't seem to find it now (I think due to google translate shenanigans) so take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well besides the obligatory Vanguard which I'm watching and will continue to watch if it's as good as either the first season or the third, I'm gonna probably not watch much this season, as everything I'd watch is a sequel.

I'm probably gonna watch a few episodes of Arc-V to get a grip on the new mechanic and probably drop if prior seasons are any indication.

Futurecard Buddyfight is hilariously bad. I might stick on that to watch how awful it gets.

And this is where I'm gonna talk about all that.

Beyond that, I'll probably wind up watching JJBA, and maybe Love Live if my friend keeps bugging me about it.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Just a heads up that it is April 1st in Japan and don't believe anything you hear about unless the source is extremely reliable.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

aers posted:

Just a heads up that it is April 1st in Japan and don't believe anything you hear about unless the source is extremely reliable.

Or you know. Just exercise some common sense.

"Oh, Gainax is also rebooting Evangelion as a TV series but it's going to be an all female cast moé slice of life type show? Ah yes, I can trust this."

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Black Stones posted:

"Oh, Gainax is also rebooting Evangelion as a TV series but it's going to be an all female cast moé slice of life type show? Ah yes, I can trust this."

I'd believe it

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

The Black Stones posted:

I would absolutely believe modern Gainax would do this and also watch it

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah you should have picked an example that isn't in the realm of plausibility.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer gets an anime adaptation!" is always a good one.

:smith:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Nate RFB posted:

A little dated, since some of these things have actually happened/are actually happening.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
"The little sister is a dragon and the older brother is prematurely balding" sounds like one of those randomly generated light novel titles that had a thread a few months back.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

"The little sister is a dragon and the older brother is prematurely balding" sounds like one of those randomly generated light novel titles that had a thread a few months back.

I believe it's one of the actual LN titles the generator was based on.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Silver2195 posted:

I believe it's one of the actual LN titles the generator was based on.

Indeed.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Wait, that's an actual thing? Is it at least a spoof? I don't see any obvious sarcasm in the positive reviews, but that type of thing can be hard to get through Google Translate.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Nate RFB posted:

:arghfist:fuccccckkk yooouuuuu:arghfist:

I knew it was a lie even as I read it, and yet I still got a little bit excited. I just... I just want to see Status: Invincible animated.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Godamnit, I was almost recovered from the last time someone did that! :smith:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

StandardVC10 posted:

Well, https://twitter.com/ln_title_bot is listed as a source.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Wow, Roughneck Sumo Wrestler!! Matsutarou kind of looks great: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-31/abarenbo-rikishi-matsutaro-anime-tv-spot-previews-animation

Usually I regret it when I visit ANN but as a sports anime fan I can definitely say I'm glad to see this preview. Anyone in the thread ever read any of this manga and have an opinion on it?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
It's April 1st, so take this with some salt, but Crunchyroll may have landed rights to JoJo.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Delusibeta posted:

It's April 1st, so take this with some salt, but Crunchyroll may have landed rights to JoJo.

It's a joke. They don't have a show page up for it, which they always do for their other announcements.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Delusibeta posted:

Which makes it the worst news of the week... Unless they just want us to think it's a joke and they put up the show page later on.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Thoom posted:

A little dated, since some of these things have actually happened/are actually happening.

Is The Irregular at Magic High School highly anticipated, then? I don't think anyone's said a word about it in this thread.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Polsy posted:

Is The Irregular at Magic High School highly anticipated, then? I don't think anyone's said a word about it in this thread.

Does looking forward to a trainwreck count? This apparently is something that causes Koreans to go on spergy rants about how terrible it is. I was reading the compilations of them and boy this show is going to be god awful if half of what they said is true.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
IIRC it was the best-selling LN series that hadn't already gotten an adaptation, so people were expecting it forever.

I read some of the translations and the main character is just plain hilarious. He's literally (minor spoilers you learn quickly) a ninja, special forces commando, genius magic engineer, and can disintegrate anything magical or material with his mind.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

unpronounceable posted:

It's a joke. They don't have a show page up for it, which they always do for their other announcements.

I don't disagree that it's likely a joke, but a lot of times they don't have a page set up for shows that they only just announced. Sometimes it takes a few days.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is The Irregular that series that went into spergy amounts of detail about an automated transit system that has two-seater pods that receive power from the track they're moving on?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Paracelsus posted:

Is The Irregular that series that went into spergy amounts of detail about an automated transit system that has two-seater pods that receive power from the track they're moving on?

That's the one. It's the most insanely boring world building ever. Hopefully the anime will just show us a loving train and be done with it.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
All I've heard people in this thread say about The Irregular is that taku iwasaki is doing the music so that'll be the best thing about it probably.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

IIRC it was the best-selling LN series that hadn't already gotten an adaptation, so people were expecting it forever.

I read some of the translations and the main character is just plain hilarious. He's literally (minor spoilers you learn quickly) a ninja, special forces commando, genius magic engineer, and can disintegrate anything magical or material with his mind.

Also, his sister is the most beautiful person ever to exist and is completely subservient to and in love with him. I think the most hilarious part of the LNs is how weird they are about women in general, over even the ultra-nationalist rhetoric.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Crunchyroll announcement would have been funnier if it was Avatar: The Last Airbender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://manga25.com/en/

Apparently this whole site's catalog is getting added to crunchyroll and it's been announced since the start of the month.

• Locked thread