Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I'm having a bit of a conundrum with my audio settings. XBMC refuses to output more than 2 channels, it seems.
It apparently started while I was away for a couple of weeks, according to the GF.
I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 on a NUC i3. It's connected by HDMI into my Denon AVR, with 5.1 speakers connected to it.

In the Ubuntu sound settings, I can choose between "HDMI stereo" and "HDMI 5.1 surround", so I guess it's autodetecting my AVR somehow. If I set it to surround, and then do a speaker test, it correctly identifies all 6 channels ("front center" comes out of front center etc). So I've ruled out any cable problems or issues with the receiver. This must be a software issue with XBMC or PulseAudio.

In XBMC's Systems settings, I can set the number of channels from 2.0 up to 7.1. Previously, I had left it on 7.1 because that was recommended (the AVR should downmix to 5.1).

- If I set it to 2.0 or 2.1, XBMC downmixes to stereo, and I get all the audio in my left+right front speakers. Well and good.
- If I set any higher number of channels in the Audio settings, I start losing channels, as if I only had stereo speakers. I.e. in 5.1 I only get music and sound effects, coming out of the front pair. The center is stone dead. XBMC is no longer downmixing (and it shouldn't).

I upgraded to the latest nightly build, because I was previously running an alpha, but the only difference was that the "passthrough" option was removed from the Audio settings page, and also passthrough doesn't work anymore. From the play controls screen, go to the the speaker icon and enable "passthough audio". Makes no difference. My AVR still says it's getting stereo signal.

- Tried resetting Pulseaudio's settings (rm -r ~/.config/pulse; pulseaudio -k). No difference.

Any ideas?

I attempted to play a movie with 5.1 audio, and put the xbmc log here:
http://pastebin.com/a7p72CZp
All I can see is that the passthrough is apparently failing, which explains that part, but nothing else jumps out at me.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing, where the heck did they put the setting for what audio formats my receiver can decode? It's not on the Audio page anymore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
By default, Gotham shows a settings level of Basic. Switch to the Confluence skin and change it to Expert. Now go into audio settings and you can now see passthrough option

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bonzo posted:

By default, Gotham shows a settings level of Basic. Switch to the Confluence skin and change it to Expert. Now go into audio settings and you can now see passthrough option

Of course I have it on Expert already, I should have mentioned that maybe. The nightly doesn't have the option for Passthough on the Settings menu, only way to set it is during playback, to go into the "speaker icon" menu. Also, the AC3/DTS etc options are gone, I can't find them anywhere.

Anyway, it doesn't actually go into passthrough mode, for whatever reason.
And even if it did, the surround sound should work just as well without passthrough, but my problem is XBMC is not passing any channels except the front right+left. The receiver seems to be telling me it's getting stereo signal, no matter what I do in XBMC.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Of course I have it on Expert already, I should have mentioned that maybe. The nightly doesn't have the option for Passthough on the Settings menu, only way to set it is during playback, to go into the "speaker icon" menu. Also, the AC3/DTS etc options are gone, I can't find them anywhere.

And even if it did, the surround sound should work just as well without passthrough, but my problem is XBMC is not passing any channels except the front right+left. The receiver seems to be telling me it's getting stereo signal, no matter what I do in XBMC.

Do a full uninstall and run beta 2. Works well enough.

Jale
Nov 6, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It's in Settings>System>Audio Output

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I am adding a TV to my basement which will be hardwired to my network. Upstairs I am running XBMC, what's the best way to watch those files on the TV downstairs? Will the new TVs today somehow connect and play everything or will I need a Roku or something?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

AzCoug posted:

I am adding a TV to my basement which will be hardwired to my network. Upstairs I am running XBMC, what's the best way to watch those files on the TV downstairs? Will the new TVs today somehow connect and play everything or will I need a Roku or something?

Many (most?) network enabled TVs can play DLNA sources. XBMC shares it's library via DLNA, but it does not transcode. This means that you might face some file compatibility.

Personally, I have a low end PC bolted to the back of all my TVs to run XBMC. If you want something cheaper/lower-power than a PC, check the XBMC forums and see what Android set top boxes people are suggesting these days, since XBMC 13 has official android support. You could probably get one for under $100.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

Many (most?) network enabled TVs can play DLNA sources. XBMC shares it's library via DLNA, but it does not transcode. This means that you might face some file compatibility.

Personally, I have a low end PC bolted to the back of all my TVs to run XBMC. If you want something cheaper/lower-power than a PC, check the XBMC forums and see what Android set top boxes people are suggesting these days, since XBMC 13 has official android support. You could probably get one for under $100.

Does DLNA play MKV?

One suggestion I got was raspberry pi. Anyone here run XBMC through raspberry pi and have a good experience?

redhalo
May 19, 2009

DLNA doesn't play anything, DLNA is a way to present served files to devices. It would be up to your TV or device to decide what files it will play. Also, MKV is a container, so while a device may be compatible with MKV's it may not be compatible with the actual video/audio format which is why Lowen mentioned that XBMC doesn't transcode into whatever format your device wants. What's the model of the TV in question?

redhalo fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 25, 2014

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

redhalo posted:

What's the model of the TV in question?

Vizio E320-B0

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So now that there is hardware acceleration support for android, are android devices considered good enough for actual use ?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
It seems to work perfectly fine on my Nexus 7 (2013), but that's just one piece of anecdotal evidence.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AzCoug posted:

You may want to look at plex if you find you need transcoding.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Jale posted:

It's in Settings>System>Audio Output

Yes, well, no, that's where I'm saying I expected to find it, but it's gone. Are you running the nightlies?
Anyway, finding the passthrough setting is not my problem, the problem is that XBMC is not outputting all the channels from surround tracks.

I guess I'll flatten and reinstall the beta instead, like jonathan suggested. It's the best I've come up with so far. I figure I'll get the same problem as I had in the alpha, though, since it wasn't fixed in the nightlies. Will try tomorrow night when I'm home.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 25, 2014

Jale
Nov 6, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yes, well, no, that's where I'm saying I expected to find it, but it's gone. Are you running the nightlies?

Sorry, I'm running Gotham Beta 2. It's weird it doesn't show up in the nightlies, though. I wonder how that happened.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

AzCoug posted:

Vizio E320-B0

It doesn't look like that TV supports DLNA at all.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I can't figure out how to get this Logitech Harmony smart remote to work with Plex and a Mac Mini running mavericks.

Anyone have any experience setting this up? I've set up everything in Plex (Apple Remote - Multi (Harmony)) but it doesn't want to work at all.

The only way I was able to get a harmony to use the apple remote was to learn all the buttons manually, even though there is a profile in the software. I think it has something to do with the ability of the apple remotes to be paired.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

The only way I was able to get a harmony to use the apple remote was to learn all the buttons manually, even though there is a profile in the software. I think it has something to do with the ability of the apple remotes to be paired.

I got the Mac Mini to recognize the Plex/ Harmony Smart Control by adding Plex Plex Player and not Plex Home Theatre. Plex Home Theatre had 0 buttons mapped from Logitech but Plex Plex Player had all of them. So even though I'm using Plex Home Theatre I had to use Plex Player to get the remote programmed correctly.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

redhalo posted:

It doesn't look like that TV supports DLNA at all.

I am going to try a raspberry pi connected to the network. Ordered it today and just need to get through the set-up etc.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Raspberry Pi runs like crap with XBMC. I mean, it's good if you're in a pinch or have one lying around and will use it occasionally, but for everyday use, you'll want something more powerful.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

wolfbiker posted:

Raspberry Pi runs like crap with XBMC. I mean, it's good if you're in a pinch or have one lying around and will use it occasionally, but for everyday use, you'll want something more powerful.

That isn't true at all. The only issue I had with mine was the UI being a bit slow but they fixed that a while ago with the newclock3 patches(gotham). I've had zero issues with playback

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How "reliable" is XBMC on the Pi? I want to hook one up headless just to play music, but I don't want to have to keep plugging it into my TV to reboot it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

FISHMANPET posted:

How "reliable" is XBMC on the Pi? I want to hook one up headless just to play music, but I don't want to have to keep plugging it into my TV to reboot it.

Problems I've had with Pi are all pretty minor. Copying music onto the SD card over the network takes like 2 hours for 15 gigs, and the official XBMC remote can get stuck. Haven't had any problem with yatse our xbmc remote tho. You also don't need a monitor to reboot it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

KrautHedge posted:

That isn't true at all. The only issue I had with mine was the UI being a bit slow but they fixed that a while ago with the newclock3 patches(gotham). I've had zero issues with playback

I should try it again because my complaint with it was the painfully slow UI.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

wolfbiker posted:

I should try it again because my complaint with it was the painfully slow UI.

Well, there are skin developers still trying to make skins as minimal and resource un-intensive as possible just for the pi, so take that for what it's worth.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FISHMANPET posted:

Mine has been great. It isn't my "main" install of XBMC and it's just a way for me to watch movies in my basement. I am using RaspBMC and it has tweaks you can set right out of the box that overclock and adjust the Pi so it can smoothly play HD content too.

I was worried that it wouldn't work for me too, but now I'm really happy with it. If you want to run XBMC so you can mess with complicated skins and have a huge number of progam and video add-ons, it's probably not a good idea but if you want to watch a kung-fu film in the basement while somebody else watches something else upstairs, it is fantastic.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
OpenElec is the best build of XBMC for the Raspberry Pi. RaspBMC takes too much resources since it has Debian running underneath it. As for how it works. It's been my primary device for about a year now. The Gotham beta has the option build in for dual audio device so I can just flip the stereo over to the other jack and turn the TV off and play music through it.

Unfortunately the OpenElec build doesn't run PulseAudio (or didn't last time I checked) so I can't just pair an audio channel from my computer and dedicate a media player program to it over the network. Built in Airtunes wasn't playing nice from my Linux Mint build to the Pi either.

Raspberry Pi loving rules for using as a media center.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gotham Beta 3 is out now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Gotham feels noticeably faster than Frodo on my AD10.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

YouTuber posted:

OpenElec is the best build of XBMC for the Raspberry Pi. RaspBMC takes too much resources since it has Debian running underneath it. As for how it works. It's been my primary device for about a year now. The Gotham beta has the option build in for dual audio device so I can just flip the stereo over to the other jack and turn the TV off and play music through it.

Unfortunately the OpenElec build doesn't run PulseAudio (or didn't last time I checked) so I can't just pair an audio channel from my computer and dedicate a media player program to it over the network. Built in Airtunes wasn't playing nice from my Linux Mint build to the Pi either.

Raspberry Pi loving rules for using as a media center.

What do you think about Xbian? How does it compare to OpenElec?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

XBMC 14 looks promising already.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
I bought the Amazon Fire TV on a whim hoping I might be able to sideload XBMC on it.. and it works! Mostly. Most of my files are h.264 MKV, and playing them results in a weird green screen for video until I forward/rewind, which and then video shows up fine. It stutters a bit playing back 720p content, but apparently there's an Ouya version of XBMC that should run better. I've only tried the official Gotham Beta 3 right now.

I've been using an ATV2 to run XBMC and the UI on the Fire TV is so much more fluid, plus it's actually in 1080p. The remote not needing line of sight is pretty nice, too. If I can get content to play smoothly, the $99 Fire TV will be the XBMC box.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Cawd Rud posted:

I bought the Amazon Fire TV on a whim hoping I might be able to sideload XBMC on it.. and it works! Mostly. Most of my files are h.264 MKV, and playing them results in a weird green screen for video until I forward/rewind, which and then video shows up fine. It stutters a bit playing back 720p content, but apparently there's an Ouya version of XBMC that should run better. I've only tried the official Gotham Beta 3 right now.

I've been using an ATV2 to run XBMC and the UI on the Fire TV is so much more fluid, plus it's actually in 1080p. The remote not needing line of sight is pretty nice, too. If I can get content to play smoothly, the $99 Fire TV will be the XBMC box.

I've been curious about this thing since it launched, because it sounds like it could be a serious contender for the title of best cheap XBMC box. UI being more fluid than ATV2 isn't saying very much considering what a piece of garbage that is, have you tested to see if the Fire TV can handle fanart-heavy skins like Aeon Nox without constant slowdown and stuttering?

An XBMC developer posted a test build a few minutes ago that he hopes solves the green screen on playback problem, please have a go at it and report back if you don't mind!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Re-amazon TV: I am not finding anything on this so I am assuming that nothing exists, but has anyone seen any kind of IR blaster that works with Android and anything that functionality similar to Eventghost?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cawd Rud posted:

Once they get all the bugs worked out, I'll definitely be picking one up for the bedroom.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cawd Rud posted:

As someone who has the Ouya (and it running the Ouya XMBC build) I can confirm that it works fine with 720p MKVs but you might want to be careful about 10bit videos (Which are mostly anime fansubs so that might not bean issue) as they have running issues (Colour Decoding, mostly) though I'm to understand that's a hardware thing so maybe Amazon's works better.

No prominences on that, mind.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
FYI Aeon NOx v5.xxx is being built as a pretty looking but light skin. Test versions are available.

Edit: it could be used as a nice skin on android devices is what I'm getting at.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

jonathan posted:

FYI Aeon NOx v5.xxx is being built as a pretty looking but light skin. Test versions are available.

Have you tried it yourself? I've been running Nox 5 for the last couple of weeks on the betas, but I'm not that enthusiastic. A lot of the customization options have been dropped, and the views are all either ones I don't use or gimped/ugly versions of what used to be.

Maybe it's finally time for me to move on... Amber is a good alternative, but the version currently in Gotham repos isn't 100% there yet.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Keito posted:

Have you tried it yourself? I've been running Nox 5 for the last couple of weeks on the betas, but I'm not that enthusiastic. A lot of the customization options have been dropped, and the views are all either ones I don't use or gimped/ugly versions of what used to be.

Maybe it's finally time for me to move on... Amber is a good alternative, but the version currently in Gotham repos isn't 100% there yet.

Nope. I have having some script dependency issues and couldn't get it to work. Also its still pretty early and far from finished.

Either way I'm not a fan of the cheap microboxes for xbmc yet. I like the interface to be as snappy as possibly so I run it on a i5/8gb/Intel hd3000 setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

bbcisdabomb posted:

What do you think about Xbian? How does it compare to OpenElec?

I've never used Xbian now that I think about it. I recall there being a poo poo storm of drama from that project back when the scene first developed so I kept away. One of the lead developers for the XBMC project also runs the OpenElec project (or he did at one point) so that tends to be "bleeding edge" as well, whatever that tagline from Xbian is meant to be. OpenElec had the LiveTV functions before any other build of XBMC because of that aforementioned dev. Before that it was exceedingly clumsy to switch channels. Now you get a guide and other nice stuff.