Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zoness posted:

When people say this and that losebear (i.e. a Grizzly Bears with like "5G: You lose the game" on it) thing I think they're vastly underestimating newer players but then people ask why the firebreathing-with-a-drawback ability on Satyr Firedrinker is any good so v:shobon:v.

Still, it seems like it would be fairly obvious that if you're gonna miss your land drop for a crucial 3-drop on turn 2 and you've got 2 lands untapped, landcycling makes a lot of sense. I started playing around the time Scourge was released and landcycling Twisted Abomination or Noble Templar didn't feel that weird to me.

On the other hand, back then I couldn't really gasp why Undead Gladiator was so good, but I think that's more on understanding how Upkeep and Draw phases work.

I agree, but every time I assume they understand even the most basic things they rise to the challenge and surprise me. I've heard newer players during M13 draft wonder aloud why anyone would pick Farseek, "It doesn't DO anything...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

When people say this and that losebear (i.e. a Grizzly Bears with like "5G: You lose the game" on it) thing I think they're vastly underestimating newer players but then people ask why the firebreathing-with-a-drawback ability on Satyr Firedrinker is any good so v:shobon:v.
I wasn't really a new player so much as someone who played extremely rarely before Scourge was around, but I distinctly remember wondering why I would ever cycle Twisted Abomination; I would eventually get the lands I needed to cast it and extra lands suck, so why would I want to give up a spell for that?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I agree, but every time I assume they understand even the most basic things they rise to the challenge and surprise me. I've heard newer players during M13 draft wonder aloud why anyone would pick Farseek, "It doesn't DO anything...."

Well, if you don't think about splashing colors, then farseek really doesn't do anything.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm surprised at the farseek anecdote; landcycling (which is just fixing and not acceleration) I can see, but in my anecdotal experience, mana acceleration is one of the faster things for new players to dig why they'd wanna do it. :getin:GONNA CAST MY YAVIMAYA WURM A TURN EARLIER:getin:

On the other hand, as said new player, I didn't understand why the Mirage diamonds were better than pieces of Ramos, because I didn't understand the concept of mana curve.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
Has anyone ever bought a wholesale lot of rares from SCG?
I'm considering a 100-pack of what I'd assume are basically junk rares, but my concern is actually condition - can anyone shed any light if they use the wholesale bin as an opportunity to dump their scuffed up garbage product?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Landcycling in OLS limited loving ruled, it was sweet to be able to throw all these huge creatures in your deck and not have to worry about them ever being dead. Plus it allowed you to keep 2-land hands where before you had to worry about not being able to cast any morphs if you didn't draw a 3rd.

Krosan Tusker was sweet too for pretty similar reasons. 5GG for a 6/5 Beast or 2G for landcycling+cycling. Neither side was a bomb but the flexibility was huge.

Recess Rapist posted:

I'm considering a 100-pack of what I'd assume are basically junk rares, but my concern is actually condition - can anyone shed any light if they use the wholesale bin as an opportunity to dump their scuffed up garbage product?

There was a guy who posted on the Magic subreddit recently saying never to do this. He did and they shipped him the maximum amount of dupes that the purchase order would allow them, plus they shorted him 9 cards. Condition was supposedly fine though.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Recess Rapist posted:

Read this post on reddit about rare lots from there the other day, http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/21pxck/dont_buy_wholesale_lots_from_star_city/. Apparently, when they say you will get no more than X duplicates, they mean that all your cards will have X duplicates ;). The post is about a 1000 rare lot though, so it may not apply to what you are buying.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Myriad Truths posted:

I love Theros because Bestow is an awesome mechanic with a lot of design space, and making 7/7 flying vigilance lifelinkers with some resistance to creature removal was pretty much all I wanted to do anyway.

Speaking of core set mechanics, though, I had a genius-ish idea. Wouldn't basic landcycling be a pretty excellent evergreen mechanic? It's not exactly hard to understand, and it's rather good for new players because it reduces the frustration of landscrew.
MaRo keeps talking about making Landfall an evergreen mechanic, I kind of hope he finally does so. Cycling would be really nice even if its just a few cards each set. I do remember some people that were leaking Theros cards that confused scry lands with Horizon Canopy lands, so who knows?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

"Cycling from play" a la Urza's Destiny (and Horizon Canopy, yes) is something I'd love to see come back, but that's because I'm a weird nostalgia guy.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

"Cycling from play" a la Urza's Destiny (and Horizon Canopy, yes) is something I'd love to see come back, but that's because I'm a weird nostalgia guy.

Hey, the Cluestones did this! ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Fox of Stone posted:

I still find it really weird that nerds love JRPGs and anime but in the realm of cardboard it falls flat. L5R didn't do so hot either from what I recall.

I am probably omega japanese mythology nerd and kamigawa was a clusterfuck from what i can tell; barely any mechanics are really resonant, while they "got" shinto they included nothing else from the mythology and layered on lots of weird poo poo instead, and it was wayyyyyy too "anime".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zorak posted:

I am probably omega japanese mythology nerd and kamigawa was a clusterfuck from what i can tell; barely any mechanics are really resonant, while they "got" shinto they included nothing else from the mythology and layered on lots of weird poo poo instead, and it was wayyyyyy too "anime".

Are you saying Tamiyo was too anime? Get outta here...

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Chorocojo posted:

I expect tengu and other youkai and the stories about them. I expect things like the Dragon Palace and Kintaro and Susano-o. Kamigawa did not have this. Instead it had lawful kitsune samurai, snake people with six limbs and extinct Kappa.

Eh on the specifics like Susano-o but I see your point about some more generic stuff. Unfortunately, the general tengu tricker temperament meant they were competing with a goblin variant in the red creature spot. There was some inspiration from tengu masks for the eventual visual design of the akki, but the prevalence of crow forms among tengu depictions meant they lost out. A red tribe who ought to have consistent flying, and would therefore demand it several times in the low rarities, wasn't going to pass. White kitsune got in based on the fox servants of Inari. Between serving someone and Inari's association with rice fields, the foxfolk shrank from their initial places in several colours to taking up a more prominent place just in white.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Eh on the specifics like Susano-o but I see your point about some more generic stuff. Unfortunately, the general tengu tricker temperament meant they were competing with a goblin variant in the red creature spot. There was some inspiration from tengu masks for the eventual visual design of the akki, but the prevalence of crow forms among tengu depictions meant they lost out. A red tribe who ought to have consistent flying, and would therefore demand it several times in the low rarities, wasn't going to pass. White kitsune got in based on the fox servants of Inari. Between serving someone and Inari's association with rice fields, the foxfolk shrank from their initial places in several colours to taking up a more prominent place just in white.

I completely missed Kamigawa, but did they do any of the wacky Tsukumogami monsters like animated umbrellas and possessed sandals?
It seems pretty obvious that they could have used them for artifact creatures.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

There were no artifact creatures in Kamigawa. I don't know if anything particularly fit the "possessed mundane object" among the colors, the spirits with connections to mundane objects (like Lantern Kami) were pretty out there, design-wise.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Say what you will about Kamigawa, the designs on the spirits were really cool, to me.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Cactrot posted:

I completely missed Kamigawa, but did they do any of the wacky Tsukumogami monsters like animated umbrellas and possessed sandals?
It seems pretty obvious that they could have used them for artifact creatures.

I bet they might have done some cool artifact creatures if Kamigawa didn't follow the block that contained Ravager Affinity.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Attorney at Funk posted:

I bet they might have done some cool artifact creatures if Kamigawa didn't follow the block that contained Ravager Affinity.
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but yeah, pre-Kamigawa cross-block synergy wasn't a thing. Onslaught block had a whopping 9 artifacts, for example.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Opened three Theros packs today and got a Labyrinth Champion, Nighthowler, and a Temple of Triumph. :suicide:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
drat it, I thought I'd recreate my Pauper Commander deck on MTGO because it's an easy format for my new-to-MTGO friend to build into, but it looks like you can't even play Pauper Commander because the stupid client won't recognize Drogskol Captain as a valid Commander in the sideboard, I guess since it's not legendary? Oh well, at least I only spent like 3 of tickets already in my account to cobble this pile together.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Boco_T posted:

drat it, I thought I'd recreate my Pauper Commander deck on MTGO because it's an easy format for my new-to-MTGO friend to build into, but it looks like you can't even play Pauper Commander because the stupid client won't recognize Drogskol Captain as a valid Commander in the sideboard, I guess since it's not legendary? Oh well, at least I only spent like 3 of tickets already in my account to cobble this pile together.

Well, yeah, the rules for "Commander" are that the commander has to be legendary, so it makes sense that the legality checker would check for that? I'm not sure what you were expecting. If there isn't official support for the niche variant you're trying to play that specifically has different legality rules, then the game is going to barf when you try doing something that's illegal as far as it knows, yes.

There are legendary creatures at uncommon and common, so you and your friend could play peasant commander with those, if you aren't too married to whatever you were trying to do with Drogskol Captain.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 1, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah it's fine, I'll just make a different deck to play online with a different theme. No big deal. It's just weird, it seems like it would be literally no work for them to have like "Freeform Commander" or something so that at least you can use that "mode". Oh well, something to do this week.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

MTGO isn't race blind.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

morning wood posted:

Opened three Theros packs today and got a Labyrinth Champion, Nighthowler, and a Temple of Triumph. :suicide:

That's...not awful? I mean, the Champion is trash, but the Temple is worth more than a booster, and nighthowler has some upside, if this golgari deck catches on.

I mean, it's better than the firedrinker satyr, polis crusher, colossus of akros that I got from opening 3 packs this weekend. (That is the three packs that reminded me to just take store credit for winnings and not packs).

Don't open for value is the point here.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PrinnySquadron posted:

L5R's still going. Nowhere the numbers of MTG but its got a pretty devoted fanbase. Number of players took a hit last arc due to oppressive decks though.

Yeah, no. L5R is down over 90% of its playerbase (and sales) from its peak because AEG has done everything in its power to sabotage every CCG they have produced at every turn. This isn't new, and it actually started back under FRPG.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

morning wood posted:

I opened my FNM prize packs and one of them had an arbiter of the ideal and a foil arbiter of the ideal in the same pack...

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i hope the next set is on muraganda. I want magic dinosaurs and poo poo.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

i hope the next set is on muraganda. I want magic dinosaurs and poo poo.

Iquatana sounds like a pretty cool place to visit.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Thanks for the advice. I have no plans to start buying expensive cards for a while but I'll definitely be hitting up the local store for some boosters and events.

Definitely going to be going to trying to draft for rare cards/cards in the mtgtop8 decks. I'll probably lose a lot but you learn from losses. I'll probably stick with Standard for the time being since I don't really have the card base to build good decks for the others.

Edit: Is it a thing for people who are obviously not new/relearning to be in the Just Starting Out queue on MTGO? My last 3 matches have been against people with Planeswalkers, lots of non-basic lands, and lots of foils.

Obsoletely Fabulous fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 1, 2014

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Boxman posted:

That's...not awful? I mean, the Champion is trash, but the Temple is worth more than a booster, and nighthowler has some upside, if this golgari deck catches on.

I mean, it's better than the firedrinker satyr, polis crusher, colossus of akros that I got from opening 3 packs this weekend. (That is the three packs that reminded me to just take store credit for winnings and not packs).

Don't open for value is the point here.

I suppose it's not terrible. When I open boosters I usually am hoping to get something I want to use in a new deck or something tradeable. I already have a playset of the temples so I was slightly bummed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

morning wood posted:

Congrats on opening two good cards, I guess.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

morning wood posted:

I suppose it's not terrible. When I open boosters I usually am hoping to get something I want to use in a new deck or something tradeable. I already have a playset of the temples so I was slightly bummed.

Don't do this. Seriously. The EV on a Theros booster is $1.75. You aren't going to get tradable, or even playable, stuff regularly. And getting ~bummed~ because you got a playable, tradable card that you have a playset of is a dumb reaction considering your stated goals.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I just got 23 Nighthowlers in the mail today. I would like that card to go somewhere.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

Don't do this. Seriously. The EV on a Theros booster is $1.75. You aren't going to get tradable, or even playable, stuff regularly. And getting ~bummed~ because you got a playable, tradable card that you have a playset of is a dumb reaction considering your stated goals.

Is there a site tracking the breakdown on the EV of different boosters?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ScarletBrother posted:

I just got 23 Nighthowlers in the mail today. I would like that card to go somewhere.

I'd take a few :)

Nighthowler is on my list of standard cards people dont appreciate enough, along with prognostic sphinx and agent of the fates.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I have a playset of promo Howlers that I traded for a scryland. I feel like I will have eventually won that one??

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mango sentinel posted:

The answer for any booster is "less than half of what you paid for it".

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Death Bot posted:

I have a playset of promo Howlers that I traded for a scryland. I feel like I will have eventually won that one??

They're already $4 each, so you've already come out way ahead.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Okay, so the April Fools articles on the mothership today are mostly terrible, but Reconstructed gives us MURDERCATS. (As well as taking the piss out of Gavin's usual completely missing the point and making any unique idea he gets into Jund).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mango sentinel posted:

MTGStocks

• Locked thread