Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Instant Jellyfish posted:

What I would do is see what people are producing in your area and try and find someone local with the type of animals you want. That could be on craigslist or a livestock for sale facebook group or talk to the folks at local feed stores. Even local meat processors should know who is producing good animals.

Seconded. The feed store is a fantastic resource, as they usually know who's got what at the very least, and usually some kind of contact information. Do you have any preference towards what kind of animal you want to try to keep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The pasture is about two acres of grass/scrub, and another half acre separately fenced in that is very rich grass. I forgot to mention that we had a horse at the same time as the goat, thus the split. As for what I'd like to get...

I'd like to do pigs eventually, but I don't have the setup for them at the moment.

A cow seem like more of a long term investment since they take two years, but I wouldn't be opposed to one if they're really the best way to go. I'm concerned that if we get a single cow it will be lonely and try to bust out to hang out on the porch like our goat did before we got the horse. All that currently resides in the barn is a half dozen chickens and a cat.

Goats or sheep are probably a more realistic option a this time, but I'm a bit concerned with the goats breaking out... and I've never been around or known anyone with sheep, so I don't really know what to expect.

So... I have no idea what I want to get. Eventually I'd like to have a bit of everything, but the quit my job and be a farmer phase that I'm planning isn't feasible for another year or two.

And the feed store. Doh. I don't know how I didn't think of that, as that's where we got our goats the first time around. Thank you!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Are you interested in milking at all? It's a decent chunk of commitment, just fair warning. Twice a day every day for maximum milk production and efficiency. But very rewarding. Fresh milk owns bones.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'd like to have a milking animal eventually, but not right now. I with one goat we had so much milk that we were giving away cheese and fudge to anyone who would take it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Goats would love the scrubland and primitive sheep like my jacobs or some of the hair sheep breeds alternate happily between brush and pasture. Maybe some hair sheep like blackbellies or kats would work for you along with some mixed meat goats? That way you don't have to worry about shearing if you don't have any use for wool. I don't really know anything about cows, sorry!

What kind of fence do you have now? Goats can be rough on fencing but a few well placed hot wires can help that. Sheep are a bit more respectful of fencing, but mine will squeeze under fences if they're too high.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Arven posted:

The pasture is about two acres of grass/scrub, and another half acre separately fenced in that is very rich grass. I forgot to mention that we had a horse at the same time as the goat, thus the split. As for what I'd like to get...

I'd like to do pigs eventually, but I don't have the setup for them at the moment.

A cow seem like more of a long term investment since they take two years, but I wouldn't be opposed to one if they're really the best way to go. I'm concerned that if we get a single cow it will be lonely and try to bust out to hang out on the porch like our goat did before we got the horse. All that currently resides in the barn is a half dozen chickens and a cat.

Goats or sheep are probably a more realistic option a this time, but I'm a bit concerned with the goats breaking out... and I've never been around or known anyone with sheep, so I don't really know what to expect.

So... I have no idea what I want to get. Eventually I'd like to have a bit of everything, but the quit my job and be a farmer phase that I'm planning isn't feasible for another year or two.

And the feed store. Doh. I don't know how I didn't think of that, as that's where we got our goats the first time around. Thank you!

I think 2 1/2 acres would be hard pressed to support a cow.

Pigs would be pretty easy, if you got them young and butchered them young. Before they get too big, hog panel (16 feet long by 3 feet high welded wire panels) supported by t-posts is more than enough to keep them contained. That way they don't get unmanageably big or aggressive, and you're only feeding them up to the point where their weight gain per amount fed starts to plateau. Downside: no bacon. Upside: sooo many kinds of sausage.

I think goats are tougher than (non-heritage) sheep :can: and would be better for getting (back) into livestock. If your fences aren't quite up to snuff, you could pen them in cattle panel (16X4) enclosures and let them out into less secure areas to graze/clear under your observation. So long as they don't get bored/run out of food, they'll probably stay put.

If you're not experienced, I'd say you've got a 80% chance of something going wrong (big or small) with an auction buy and a 60% chance when buying from craigslist. Auctions are like SA. You've got to lurk before you buy/post. As Instant Jellyfish pointed out, Facebook sale groups and feedstores are good sources of information. If you're near Oklahoma/Arkansas/Kansas, send me a PM and I'll pass it on to my daughter and she'll find what you want and tell you what you need to know. If you're not nearby, I could point you to her FB page and she'll tell you what you need to know.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

joat mon posted:

I think 2 1/2 acres would be hard pressed to support a cow.

Depending on your location, 2.5 acres would easily support 2 cows. As long as it's a standard field with grass, you should figure 1 acre per cow/calf combo. Now you'll have to feed hay in the winter and it's best to separate those acres into smaller plots and do rotational grazing. Check with your local Ag office and see how many lbs of weight an acre in your locality will support. Also, make sure to improve your acreage by planting field grasses that do well in your area and getting rid of the weeds.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Don't forget there are miniature cattle breeds, both dairy and beef. They take up a lot less space and need less pasture, although they of course produce less as a result of being smaller.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

Don't forget there are miniature cattle breeds, both dairy and beef. They take up a lot less space and need less pasture, although they of course produce less as a result of being smaller.

Yes, Dexters all the way! Great utility breed that's good for milk and meat.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

joat mon posted:

If you're not experienced, I'd say you've got a 80% chance of something going wrong (big or small) with an auction buy and a 60% chance when buying from craigslist. Auctions are like SA. You've got to lurk before you buy/post. As Instant Jellyfish pointed out, Facebook sale groups and feedstores are good sources of information. If you're near Oklahoma/Arkansas/Kansas, send me a PM and I'll pass it on to my daughter and she'll find what you want and tell you what you need to know. If you're not nearby, I could point you to her FB page and she'll tell you what you need to know.

I appreciate it, but I'm in western PA and don't have facebook.

I think it's ultimately going to come down to whats available in my area, but I'm heavily leaning toward a goat/sheep combo at this point. I'm familiar with goats, so I agree it would be best to get back into livestock with what I already know.

One question, though- I've been told (by people advising me against sheep) that you need a lot of land for sheep, as they will eat grass down to the root. Is this true? I always assumed this was only true if you had a huge amount of sheep, not a few.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My neighbor said that when I moved in but my pasture still looks fine. It really depends on the number and the type. The more commercial breeds do spend all day grazing right down to the ground, but this hasn't been a problem with my sheep. Rotating them would really help as well as getting sheep that like to browse. In western PA you're likely to find a lot of boers and boer mixes (check hooves before you get them and really feel them over for CL lumps!) for goats and katahdins and mixes for sheep. At least that's what I see for sale right over the border from me.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Goats are crafty little fuckers, but I love them, and they do love scrub. They keep our pasture pretty well cleared and keep the vermin count relatively low. And they're all lovable idiots who frolic and trip over themselves and chase each other for no reason. Like dogs, but with less bowel control.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Apparently one of my aunt's pregnant goats tried to worm her way out of the warm, well-lit maternity pen through the wire. Her head and front legs fit through, but her big pregnant belly got stuck. My aunt heard screaming and came out to find that she had to rescue this:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

RazorBunny posted:

Apparently one of my aunt's pregnant goats tried to worm her way out of the warm, well-lit maternity pen through the wire. Her head and front legs fit through, but her big pregnant belly got stuck. My aunt heard screaming and came out to find that she had to rescue this:

awwww, look at that face. Glad your aunt was able to intervene! The awful things that can happen to goats when they mix it up with a fence make me shudder.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Just a heads up so you aren't wondering where 2014's lambing thread is. I've had 2 ewes abort in the last 24 hours and I'm doing everything I can but there's a chance there won't be any lambs this year. It's a really awful situation so maybe go watch chickam and don't think about it too much. The good news is that it seems like the ewes are doing alright.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Oh no! I'm so sorry, Instant Jellyfish. :( Are you holding up okay?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pulling dead lambs was not how I wanted to spend my Saturday night but I'm hanging in there. I just got home from vacation Thursday night so I'm glad this didn't happen when my mom was watching them. I just have to convince her that she didn't do anything wrong that caused it, poo poo just happens sometimes.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
That's really awful, I'm so sorry! :(

Do you have any idea why it might have happened, or does this just happen sometimes?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm guessing its a bacterial or viral infection (and that's how I'm treating it right now) but I'm having pathology done at the state lab this week so hopefully I'll get some answers.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

aww dog gone it Instant Jellyfish. So sorry for your losses. :sympathy: Hugs to you and your family.

Mar 25, 2004

Oh no, Instant Jellyfish, I'm so sorry. That just totally sucks.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It was Jewel's turn to abort today but while I was pulling out her dead lamb this thing popped out and started yelling at me. He's 6 days early and can't stand and is still on very thin ice but I can work with this. Dead I can't do anything about, premature and weak can be dealt with.

Think good thoughts for this guy, he's a little fighter.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

I mainly lurk this thread but I wanted to send some happy thoughts and good luck wishes to the little one and to you Instant Jellyfish as well, of course.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Oh my god, he's so tiny. Hang in there tiny guy, you got this!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Tiny and yelling is better news :unsmith:

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Can we call him Samson? For some reason it seems like the appropriate name. Operating entirely on intuition here, though. I'm really glad he's fighting.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Aaaa, good luck, little guy, I believe in you. :3:

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010
That sucks Instant Jellyfish :(

Our lambs aren't due for a few weeks yet, we were late putting them to Ram, but last week we had our first goat kids of the year. It's my first time actually being at work whilst stuff was happening (and not having other important work to do for once) so that was pretty awesome. The two mums are Masie, the black one and Brit, the brown one - they're all British Alpine goats (Britney has a bit of Toggenburg in her, hence the brown!)

In the end we had Masie had one girl - Melanie, and Britney a boy and a girl, Barry and Bree. We recently acquired some more goats - two Toggenburg ladies, I can't wait to see what their kids are like but that's a while away yet.

Being born is hard work.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Go tiny guy go! Sending positive thoughts to you and all the critters.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Meles meles posted:

That sucks Instant Jellyfish :(

Our lambs aren't due for a few weeks yet, we were late putting them to Ram, but last week we had our first goat kids of the year. It's my first time actually being at work whilst stuff was happening (and not having other important work to do for once) so that was pretty awesome. The two mums are Masie, the black one and Brit, the brown one - they're all British Alpine goats (Britney has a bit of Toggenburg in her, hence the brown!)

In the end we had Masie had one girl - Melanie, and Britney a boy and a girl, Barry and Bree. We recently acquired some more goats - two Toggenburg ladies, I can't wait to see what their kids are like but that's a while away yet.

Being born is hard work.

I needed babby goat pictures today :kimchi:

Little dude is still hanging in there and super angry that his legs are not cooperating. I think because he's so premature its just going to take a while for him to build up enough strength and coordination.

Have a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEAKyTwILBY

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hang in there, little angry man!!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

It was Jewel's turn to abort today but while I was pulling out her dead lamb this thing popped out and started yelling at me. He's 6 days early and can't stand and is still on very thin ice but I can work with this. Dead I can't do anything about, premature and weak can be dealt with.

Think good thoughts for this guy, he's a little fighter.

For sure sending good thoughts! So adorable!

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Little man is the best news! We're all cheering for him! <3

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
My elderly cat's name is Little Man. I highly recommend this name. :3:

I hope the little dude is OK!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Little dude is still hanging in there and super angry that his legs are not cooperating. I think because he's so premature its just going to take a while for him to build up enough strength and coordination.

Have a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEAKyTwILBY
MAD ABOUT LEGS

(So adorably mad hnnnng)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Babby sheep is still trucking along. He's able to stand for short periods of time and I saw him nursing briefly this morning :3: His fontanel is open and his hooves are all gummy and he's generally teeny but the vet said he looked good for his age and to just keep doing what I'm doing.

The vet took blood samples and a dead lamb from my pile and is rushing it to the state lab so hopefully we get some answers. He said about 40% of the time all the testing just comes back inconclusive but the fact that I had a whole fetus and placental tissue, the exact date in gestation that she aborted and a thorough history in addition to a maternal blood sample should help things. It probably won't get back in time for the last ewe's due dates but at least I'll know for next year.

The vet also gave me some blood tubes so I can have pregnancy tests done on the goats so we'll finally know what the hell is going on with Iph.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sorry to hear about your critter problems Jellyfish.

Thinking good thoughts for the little dude. I love that his tongue pokes out when he baas in the video. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tiny man is less mad at his legs now that they are more or less under his control.

Aw yeah being upright

Well, for a little while at least.

He weighs 3 lbs 5 oz right now, which I think is right around what Clem weighed when she was born.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Tiny man is less mad at his legs now that they are more or less under his control.

Aw yeah being upright

Well, for a little while at least.

He weighs 3 lbs 5 oz right now, which I think is right around what Clem weighed when she was born.

Oh my goodness those spots on his back :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milward
Nov 5, 2009

You keep on trucking little man!

• Locked thread