Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Haruki Murakami. I've read

- Norwegian Wood
- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
- Kafka on the Shore
- Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

What else of his should I read? I haven't loved anything since the first two, so if there's anything outstanding I've missed, tell me.

Give A Wild Sheep Chase and Dance, Dance, Dance a go (in that order, the latter's a sequel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Adib posted:

This is going to be a strange request, partly because I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Basically, I like English words a lot and wish I knew more of them. I know that having a basic understanding of Latin roots (and maybe other languages like Greek, depending on the discipline) would help me quite a bit with that goal. However, I don't have the time to actually take a college course or look for etymological patterns in the dictionary. I do have enough time to read on occasion, though, and am wondering if there's abook that fills you in on the essential roots that will significantly improve your English comprehension.

Are you thinking something like English From the Roots Up could work for you?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0964321033?pc_redir=1395431298&robot_redir=1

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Haruki Murakami. I've read

- Norwegian Wood
- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
- Kafka on the Shore
- Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

What else of his should I read? I haven't loved anything since the first two, so if there's anything outstanding I've missed, tell me.

Listen to Ulvir. IQ84 has a lot of problems with it and is probably his weakest published work.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Adib posted:

This is going to be a strange request, partly because I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Basically, I like English words a lot and wish I knew more of them. I know that having a basic understanding of Latin roots (and maybe other languages like Greek, depending on the discipline) would help me quite a bit with that goal. However, I don't have the time to actually take a college course or look for etymological patterns in the dictionary. I do have enough time to read on occasion, though, and am wondering if there's a book that fills you in on the essential roots that will significantly improve your English comprehension.

Strange request indeed. Are you looking for a school textbook? You might have more luck in the book recommendation thread in the science, academics and language subforum. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415084

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I'd like a solid work on the character of Satan in the Hebrew and Christian bibles. Elaine Pagels' The Origin of Satan is good, but it's primarily focused on the actions of the early church; I'm looking for something more textually-focused.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

End Of Worlds posted:

I'd like a solid work on the character of Satan in the Hebrew and Christian bibles. Elaine Pagels' The Origin of Satan is good, but it's primarily focused on the actions of the early church; I'm looking for something more textually-focused.

This is a one hundred percent serious suggestion, read John Milton's Paradise Lost. While it is not a study, it did a hell of a lot to influence people's perception of who and what Satan was.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stravinsky posted:

This is a one hundred percent serious suggestion, read John Milton's Paradise Lost. While it is not a study, it did a hell of a lot to influence people's perception of who and what Satan was.

Yeah, this is a decent suggestion. Milton basically revolutionized the entire concept of Satan. From what I remember of my college classes, Satan prior to Milton was essentially the villain in mystery plays and little more; the whole notion of Satan as potentially seductive, etc., comes from Milton.

The other thing to bear in mind with Milton though is that everything in Paradise Lost derives from Milton's synthesis of essentially all contemporaneous religious lore or theological theorizing, no matter how obscure; from about 1635 on Milton spent literal years just reading everything and most of the stuff in his work has some antecedent somewhere, but I'm not sure where you could look for a good critical breakdown of where Milton got all his various ideas re: War in Heaven, etc.

I feel like at some point I've seen a suggestion for this topic but I can't remember it; maybe it was the Pagels book. Looking at the Amazon "customers who bought this book also bought" might give you some ideas.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 24, 2014

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Hey, I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I believe it was recommended here, even. I really, really enjoyed the book and particularly the way it narrated the main character's life with beautiful prose and poignant moments that make one think back to their own life a little bit despite the book's rather larger-than-life story. If anyone has any suggestions for books in the same genre, I'd love to hear them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tosk posted:

Hey, I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I believe it was recommended here, even. I really, really enjoyed the book and particularly the way it narrated the main character's life with beautiful prose and poignant moments that make one think back to their own life a little bit despite the book's rather larger-than-life story. If anyone has any suggestions for books in the same genre, I'd love to hear them.

Have you read anything by John Irving? You could try A Prayer for Owen Meany. It's an epic about two characters growing up in New England, one of them a shy but athletic type, the other, Owen, is an albino dwarf who is a devout Christian. It explores friendship, faith, fate, love, family, and the Vietnam War serves as a catalyst. It's very good and hits all the points you requested.

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013
Looking for something Game of Thrones-esque that doesn't suck and is preferably written in third person.

I've read all of Joe Abercrombie's works and the Locke Lamora series.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Looking for something Game of Thrones-esque that doesn't suck and is preferably written in third person.

Malazan book of the fallen?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

AStrangeDuelist posted:

The Red Knight

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AStrangeDuelist posted:

R Scott Bakker's series starting with Prince of Nothing might suit. It's incomplete, but I enjoyed them on their own.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Not fantasy (at least, not of the dragons and magic type), but if the political machinations and scheming are one of the primary qualities you enjoyed about GoT, you could do much worse than Shogun by James Clavell. Really fun book full of intrigue and I reread it every couple years.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Franchescanado posted:

Have you read anything by John Irving? You could try A Prayer for Owen Meany. It's an epic about two characters growing up in New England, one of them a shy but athletic type, the other, Owen, is an albino dwarf who is a devout Christian. It explores friendship, faith, fate, love, family, and the Vietnam War serves as a catalyst. It's very good and hits all the points you requested.

Second the hell out of this. It is one of the most gentle books I have ever read. Just lovely all around.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

AStrangeDuelist posted:

The Heresy Within "Ties That Bind" trilogy - Rob Hayes
Ink Mage - V. Gischler
Prophets of the Ghost Ants - Carlton

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles are fun as hell to read. He gets slammed for Magic School Supar Wizard Skillz, but I honestly really liked them.

Anthony Ryan's Blood Song is great. The second book is due in two or three months.

Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy starts off shaky, but gets progressively better. By the end of the first book I was totally into it.

Subjunctive posted:

R Scott Bakker's series starting with Prince of Nothing might suit. It's incomplete, but I enjoyed them on their own.

I've read the Prince of Nothing trilogy, but haven't moved onto The Aspect Emperor.

They are good, with some really interesting ideas (the Logos, The Darkness That Comes Before, etc), but suffers heavily from Fantasy Name Syndrome (mixed with Byzantine themes, just to make them extra-incomprehensible) and some seriously relentless grimdark. The siege portions especially. Makes GRRM and Abercrombie seem like Shiny Happy People.

Oh, and way too much raping and black cum.

Still, they are definitely worth reading, imho

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 27, 2014

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
Just finished The way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, I know the second is out but I want to read a different book before that to let some of the ideas from the first set in. I find when I chain read a series I get burnt out by them.
Suggestions?

e: Sorry I should of been more specific. I would like something a little lighter, I've heard the Locke Lamora series is good but I'm not sure how much of a slog it will be.

Stereo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 28, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Stereo posted:

Just finished The way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, I know the second is out but I want to read a different book before that to let some of the ideas from the first to set in. I find when I chain read a series I get burnt out by them.
Suggestions?

"A different book" isn't much to go on; anything in particular you're loooking for?

That said, my go-to recommendation when someone just wants something non-specific but enormously entertaining and amazing to read is The Magus by John Fowles

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Stereo posted:

Just finished The way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, I know the second is out but I want to read a different book before that to let some of the ideas from the first set in. I find when I chain read a series I get burnt out by them.
Suggestions?

e: Sorry I should of been more specific. I would like something a little lighter, I've heard the Locke Lamora series is good but I'm not sure how much of a slog it will be.

I just read Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding, it's light and fun. Here's my review from Goodreads:

my review on Goodreads posted:

drat, that was fun. This was an uncomplicated, rip-roaring adventure story about air-pirates in a well-realised fantasy world. It had the vibe of the TV show Firefly, but its tone and character dynamics were different enough that it didn't feel like a clone. It also reminded me a bit of The Lies of Locke Lamora, with loveable underworld protagonists getting in over their heads in grander conspiracies. It didn't have the dark turn of Lies though; instead it kept the tone light throughout. That made this a book I can see myself coming back to when I want something cozy and fun to dip into.

The plot kept moving, with few lulls, and there was a nice amount of action to the book. Each of the main characters became pretty well-developed throughout the story, and now that I've come to know them, it makes me all the more eager to check out the next book in the series. A few mysteries were left unexplained, such as exactly what is happening to Jez, and that's also left me hungry for more.

One thing I was quite impressed with throughout the book was the author's adeptness in inventing, and describing, scenery and locations. Every place visited in the story felt different from the last, and I could picture them all clearly. The result was that the world of the book felt like it would be a fun place to visit. The author describes weather excellently too, lending great atmosphere to certain scenes.

A disappointment: the plot wrapped up rather quickly at the end. Could have had one or two more chapters. Perhaps I'll find out some of the aftermath at the start of book two.

There was a small appendix at the end, which was a worthy addition. It included a set of rules for the card game Rake, a variant of poker which features often in the plot. There was also a 20-ish page prequel, in the form of diary entries by the main character in the months preceeding this novel. It's not essential reading, but it was kind of fun to find out what the crew of the Ketty Jay were up to earlier on.

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea
Hello all, first time I've ever ventured into the book barn. I'm looking for a particular recommendation.

I've recently become quite interested in the developing territories of America in the mid to late 19th century. Old/wild west type stuff.
I'm sure there's got to be a really good book out there that describes a lot of what was going on across the frontier. Something with a nice balance between historical documentation and exciting outlaw type stories.

Can anyone help?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Phillip Meyer's The Son has some of the elements you're looking for and was a really good novel. It concerns a Texas oil and ranching family but it incorporates a lot of history about how the Texas frontier developed into the plot and themes, with tons of stuff about Indian tribes, cowboys, frontiersmen and landbarons. The timeline does go beyond the 19th century though.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This isn't a "recommend me a book" question but there is no real better place to ask.

Are there any Criticker style websites/apps to that my Mum's bookclub can use to catalogue all the books they have read, leave personal comments/notes and maybe even rate the books with a score?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Goodreads should do the trick for that, her book club can set up their own group and add books they've read to the group's 'bookshelf' with ratings and reviews.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hedrigall posted:

I just read Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding, it's light and fun. Here's my review from Goodreads:

Thanks for the mention of it, I'm enjoying it so far.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
Hello, Book Barn! I'm interested in reading biographies of famous musicians (Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky) does anyone have suggestions for something along those lines?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Just jumping in to say that anyone who likes fantasy, historical fiction or just really lovely contemporary prose might want to give some though to Nicola Griffith's [i]Hild:/i]

Amazon posted:

In seventh-century Britain, small kingdoms are merging, frequently and violently. A new religion is coming ashore; the old gods are struggling, their priests worrying. Hild is the king’s youngest niece, and she has a glimmering mind and a natural, noble authority. She will become a fascinating woman and one of the pivotal figures of the Middle Ages: Saint Hilda of Whitby.

But now she has only the powerful curiosity of a bright child, a will of adamant, and a way of seeing the world—of studying nature, of matching cause with effect, of observing her surroundings closely and predicting what will happen next—that can seem uncanny, even supernatural, to those around her.

Her uncle, Edwin of Northumbria, plots to become overking of the Angles, ruthlessly using every tool at his disposal: blood, bribery, belief. Hild establishes a place for herself at his side as the king’s seer. And she is indispensable—unless she should ever lead the king astray. The stakes are life and death: for Hild, for her family, for her loved ones, and for the increasing numbers who seek the protection of the strange girl who can read the world and see the future.

The Toast has a good article in which Hild is held up as the anti-Game of Thrones.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

That sounds very interesting and looks like a great book. Thank you for recommending it.

However, I got to say that review is extremely stupid/insane. It's as if the writer couldn't decide between posting a positive review of Hild or a negative review of ASoIaF and then decided to do both things at once. The point of the article seems to be "Genre fiction like ASoIaF is really sexistic and contains a lot of rape ... oh, and Hild is a very good book written by a woman!", but it fails to link these two points at all and becomes a confusing mess. Why is it necessary to point out GRRM could have written his world without rape/sexism to show that Hild is worth reading?

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 31, 2014

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
That reminds me. Please recommend me some historical fiction with (emphasis on this) jaw-dropping good prose. Something along the lines of Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang and Parrot & Olivier in America, or the "historical" portions of Peter Ackroyd's Hawksmoor. Any place or period before 1900 is good. (I've read Shogun, which has more of a bestseller than literary prose style anyway, but not much else in the historical fic genre.)

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 1, 2014

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Time Cowboy posted:

That reminds me. Please recommend me some historical fiction with (emphasis on this) jaw-dropping good prose. Something along the lines of Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang and Parrot & Olivier in America, or the "historical" portions of Peter Ackroyd's Hawksmoor. Any place or period before 1900 is good. (I've read Shogun, which has more of a bestseller than literary prose style anyway, but not much else in the historical fic genre.)

Robert Graves' I, Claudius seems like an obvious recommendation to me. Robert Graves is known both for his poetry (elected Professor of Poetry at Oxford) and his excellent historical fiction. He was actually very close to winning a Nobel prize for literature, losing to John Steinbeck, whose The Grapes of Wrath is also a historical novel you could consider (haven't read it, but since he won a pulitzer and a nobel prize and since it's a classic it probably has very good prose as well).

edit: apparantly Grapes of Wrath is set in the great depression, so after 1900.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Time Cowboy posted:

Mary Renault, Patrick O'Brian, and Robert Graves are probably your go-to. Patrick O'Brian especially has an amazingly subtle and quick wit and immense characterization but when he decides to go Full Nautical he's possible denser than Melville.

For Mary Renault I'd recommend Last of the Wine, The King Must Die, or Fire From Heaven. For Patrick O Brian start with Master and Commander and never stop, never ever stop.

Honestly we should really have a historical fiction megathread; I'm not sure why we don't.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Walh Hara posted:

Robert Graves' I, Claudius seems like an obvious recommendation to me.

This was already on my to-read list, but I'll bump it from "eventually" to "soon." I should also get into more Steinbeck. Twentieth century classics are a major blank spot for me. Thanks!

Oh, by the way, is Claudius the God worth reading after I, Claudius? I ask because no one ever seems to talk about it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Mary Renault, Patrick O'Brian, and Robert Graves are probably your go-to. Patrick O'Brian especially has an amazingly subtle and quick wit and immense characterization but when he decides to go Full Nautical he's possible denser than Melville.

For Mary Renault I'd recommend Last of the Wine, The King Must Die, or Fire From Heaven. For Patrick O Brian start with Master and Commander and never stop, never ever stop.

Thanks! I've added those to my list.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Time Cowboy posted:

Oh, by the way, is Claudius the God worth reading after I, Claudius? I ask because no one ever seems to talk about it.

Yeah, all three of those writers are good enough that they don't really write bad books, just less-good ones. If you don't like the first novels you probably won't like the rest of what each of them wrote, though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Time Cowboy posted:

The French Lieutenant's Woman and A Maggot, both by John Fowles

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Time Cowboy posted:

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Asked this in the history thread, but I might as well as here too.

Are there any good books on epidemiology or microbiology?

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Spillover has been mentioned a couple times in this thread. You might check out Carl Zimmer's stuff. I really enjoyed Parasite Rex back in school.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Time Cowboy posted:

Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies both fit this. They're basically Thomas Cromwell's life story told from his POV.

Oh, also Mika Waltari.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 1, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Time Cowboy posted:

Thanks! I've added those to my list.

Oh! Oh!

Also add The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Again, his prose does get very dense sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Thank you, everyone! Those have all been added to my to-read list (which is currently nine pages long, but still).