Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Namenlos posted:

Why would you assume that? I thought you guys said we could do Detektuv's Jurnal and a one time bonus...?

Of course you can. But I don't have a before/after photo and you didn't point out any conversion?

Oh. You edited your oath complete post! Which is fine, but I had already seen it and not seen before/after photos. The links you've got there now are fine, and I've credited you with a conversion and the monthly jurnal points.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Brushes down! as of like 27 minutes ago.

It's now April, officially. Krushgroove will post the theme for this month soon. Everyone keep in mind, this month is your last chance to do all those points-getting things you've been procrastinating about all year!

I will do prize draws no earlier than Friday. As always, please check the spreadsheet to make sure I properly credited you for everything you did. I always make one or two little mistakes... don't let me get away with that!

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
I edited my completed post to claim the points for this month's Jurnal, here's the link.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Ah christ, I had these done ages ago but I'm new to this, so for some reason I thought it was local time midnight, not GMT.

Still posting what I did.

On the vyper pilots I got the idea from the 40k thread, why are all elves [eldar] shown as white? So I experimented with different skin colours instead of all pasty white. Think they all turned out decently.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

^^^ that's cool, I like your multi-racial space elves

What's the theme for this final month? I wanna pick my minis!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: :siren: :siren: ...and now! The final! Detektuv’s Jurnal! :siren: :siren: :siren:

Oi hads ta have a drink, so's when we gets out da bar oi see's a big mess o' green lights...oi's drunk just a bit but oi can see da office! Even my mass o' whizkee bottles behind me desk! Wot's all dis abaat? Oi stumble troo...

We’re finishing off big to celebrate Mr. Green's arrival back home - this time, to earn your Detektuv's Jurnal points, you'll need to complete TWO Jurnal themes! So you can pick and choose from these previous Jurnals:

May: 3 Work In Progress pictures
June: Battle Damage
July: Cut and Swap
August: Weathering
September: Freehand
October: Breast Cancer Awareness (anything in pink)
November: Movember (anything to do with hair)
December: Non-Metallic Metal
January: Object-Source Lighting!
February: Break the 4th wall
March: Convert/customize

edit: If you're going to do 2 different Jurnals, they can be done on a single model or split up amongst 2 or more models. When you post your completed oath, please note in bold what Jurnals you did and on what models.

Completing just a single Jurnal will get you just a single point (because the Jurnal this month is 2 Jurnals), so if you're going for points keep that in mind. Some of these are pretty easy, but that doesn't matter, any 2 are all you need to do.

Remember that each judge will give a single extra point to whoever they think have done the best job with BOTH Detektuv’s Jurnals and done the best job with it - so this is an ideal opportunity to start getting a lead in the points!

Oh, and the story isn't over yet for Mr. Green...

Sittin' on me couch wuz the wizard lady! (from the first episode!)

'I see you've found my Locnar, Mr. Green. I'll be sure to thank you properly...once you wake from your slumber...'

an' she twizzels her fingas and oi just see black

What next for Mr. Green? You'll have to find out in the Oath Thread Season 5!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 1, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

What next for Mr. Green? You'll have to find out in the Oath Thread Season 5!

You tease :argh:

Great option for the final jurnal.. love it.. off I go to order some models to paint up :)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I, Slimnoid, Oath a Vampire Counts Vampire Lord for April (Games Workshop, 28mm)

For the Detektuv's Jurnal this month, I'm going for Convert/customize and Object Source Lighting on this guy.

Here's a better look at the model in question:

The official model looks like this:

Only one model this month. I'm moving in 2 weeks, so I really only have time to pump out one guy before I gotta pack everything up. It kinda stinks since I have a lot I WANT to do, but due to time constraints I can't until I settle in to my new place (and uh, find a job while I'm at it).

Moving sucks :argh:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Slimnoid posted:

How does he bite people with that head-gear on?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Indolent Bastard, drop me an email! I've been trying to PM you, but your inbox is full :P

Slimnoid posted:

I, Slimnoid, Oath a Vampire Counts Vampire Lord for April (Games Workshop, 28mm)

Accepted!

everyone please note: I have updated the Jurnal post above with this, just for clarity's sake:

edit: If you're going to do 2 different Jurnals, they can be done on a single model or split up amongst 2 or more models. When you post your completed oath, please note in bold what Jurnals you did and on what models.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

krushgroove posted:

Indolent Bastard, drop me an email! I've been trying to PM you, but your inbox is full :P

PMs have been cleared out. (I wish it told you when it was full so this wouldn't happen).

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, oath three Savage Orcs and five Cultists! (28mm GW)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Indolent Bastard posted:

How does he bite people with that head-gear on?

He sucks the souls out of people, rather than drain their blood. It's a mix of Man in the Iron Mask and Raziel from Soul Reaver. Poor sod was trapped in an iron casket underwater with that mask strapped to his head for centuries and eventually he sort of...changed.

Now he's out and has an army of skeletons and ghouls and Sigmar drat it he is pissed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I, Grey Hunter Oath

(deep breath)

By Hawk Wargames (10mm)
30 Legionaries
12 Destroyers
2 Raven A Light Dropships
2 Falcon Gunships
2 Intruder Alpha light Dropships
2 Intruder Beta light Dropships
8 Scourge Minders
1 Ferrum Drone Bay
8 Drones (+1 folded done that fits inside the Ferrium but bugger that if I'm going to paint it in there)

By Mantic Games (28mm)
1 Enforcer Captain,
9 Enforcers of various types
2 sentry guns.

I'd call myself mad if 10mm wasn't so quick to paint.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Slimnoid posted:

For the Detektuv's Jurnal this month, I'm going for Convert/customize and Object Source Lighting on this guy.

The official model looks like this:

Only one model this month. I'm moving in 2 weeks, so I really only have time to pump out one guy before I gotta pack everything up. It kinda stinks since I have a lot I WANT to do, but due to time constraints I can't until I settle in to my new place (and uh, find a job while I'm at it).

Moving sucks :argh:

That is a seriously rad conversion. Nice one.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I, Raphus C, Oath 3 Flashgitz, 5 StormBoyz and a Weirdboy - all GW + 28mm

Flashgitz, the answer to "what the gently caress do I do with all those Black reach Nobz".

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath three Savage Orcs and five Cultists! (28mm GW)

Grey Hunter posted:

I, Grey Hunter Oath

(deep breath)

By Hawk Wargames (10mm)
30 Legionaries
12 Destroyers
2 Raven A Light Dropships
2 Falcon Gunships
2 Intruder Alpha light Dropships
2 Intruder Beta light Dropships
8 Scourge Minders
1 Ferrum Drone Bay
8 Drones (+1 folded done that fits inside the Ferrium but bugger that if I'm going to paint it in there)

By Mantic Games (28mm)
1 Enforcer Captain,
9 Enforcers of various types
2 sentry guns.

Raphus C posted:

I, Raphus C, Oath 3 Flashgitz, 5 StormBoyz and a Weirdboy - all GW + 28mm

Accepted!

:siren: A REQUEST FOR INFORMATION :siren:

There are some things I'd like to clear up and make better by crowdsourcing info and opinions over the course of the final month of this Oath Thread! Gears are in motion to continue the Oath Thread straight into Season FIVE at the start of May, and I'm planning to keep this thread open for the final judging and announcements of prizewinners, and start the next Oath Thread with the new rules and such. This thread will be for discussing things pertinent only to Season 4, and the new thread will be about Season 5 only (or that's the plan).

The first thing I'd like to get info on is the start and end times of each oath month.

As everyone knows, the start and end times of each month of the Oath Thread, Season 4 have been in GMT times. Just to get this out of the way, this wasn't done to make it easy for me to paint just because I live in the UK (I was only able to do a couple of oaths this time around anyway) and GMT wasn't chosen to make it 'even' for the UK and EU painters - this was because I thought it would be a more 'universal' time, being GMT! Of course this turned out to be kind of a bad idea. Half the participants being in the US, missed deadlines, time changes and other factors really drove this home nearly every month. Hopefully everyone can agree that we were fair with denying completed oaths that were posted even minutes after the deadline. At the start I simply thought 'well, everyone can start at the same time, so everyone has exactly one month, that is fair' - but it isn't fair, because working days are different in various time zones, time changes are confusing and all that jazz.

So I want everyone's help to find a new solution. Leperflesh has suggested to me that we use the International Date Line to be the start and end time for each month, but he also suggested something I've been wondering about for the past few months: would it be possible to have a fair, accurate and verifiable way for everyone to start the new month at 00:01 on the first of the month and finish at 00:00 on the last day of the month - in their own time zone?

Can anyone suggest a good way to show this in the thread, in a way that we can verify, that would be fabulous. I am completely open to ideas.

I think the worldtimeserver.com site works great for us, and barring any good ideas on allowing people to post timestamps from their own time zones I think the International Date Line idea would work fine. But I think you guys would prefer to be able to finish at midnight in your own time zones, right?

So let's hear your ideas :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In case anyone's not clear on what that means - the international date line is effectively the last spot on Earth that a given day ends. So, that means literally everyone would have all of the last day of the month to paint in. People in Australia and Japan would have almost a full extra day!

On the other hand, that means the 1st of the month starts late for most of us. E.g., when it's 12:01 AM SST on the 1st of the month in Midway Island, just this side of the international date line, it's already noon on the 1st in the UK: so goons in the UK wouldn't get to declare their oaths on the 1st until the afternoon. On a weekday that'd probably be fine. But for example it'd mean goons in Sydney, Australia can't oath and get painting until 10pm local time, which sucks every day of the week if you wanted to get started right away.

I honestly think that's probably OK, though. It seems like most goons procrastinate a bit and put things off to the end of the month anyway... this would give the procrastinators some slack at the expense of the eager beagers who are up and painting bright and early on the 1st of the month.

For doing things in our own personal timezones, all I can think of is asking goons to register their own time zone on the spreadsheet and then posting their oath complete post before midnight in that zone. That makes for more paperwork for the bookkeeper, though, and I don't see an easy way around that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

krushgroove posted:

Accepted!

:siren: A REQUEST FOR INFORMATION :siren:

There are some things I'd like to clear up and make better by crowdsourcing info and opinions over the course of the final month of this Oath Thread! Gears are in motion to continue the Oath Thread straight into Season FIVE at the start of May, and I'm planning to keep this thread open for the final judging and announcements of prizewinners, and start the next Oath Thread with the new rules and such. This thread will be for discussing things pertinent only to Season 4, and the new thread will be about Season 5 only (or that's the plan).

The first thing I'd like to get info on is the start and end times of each oath month.

As everyone knows, the start and end times of each month of the Oath Thread, Season 4 have been in GMT times. Just to get this out of the way, this wasn't done to make it easy for me to paint just because I live in the UK (I was only able to do a couple of oaths this time around anyway) and GMT wasn't chosen to make it 'even' for the UK and EU painters - this was because I thought it would be a more 'universal' time, being GMT! Of course this turned out to be kind of a bad idea. Half the participants being in the US, missed deadlines, time changes and other factors really drove this home nearly every month. Hopefully everyone can agree that we were fair with denying completed oaths that were posted even minutes after the deadline. At the start I simply thought 'well, everyone can start at the same time, so everyone has exactly one month, that is fair' - but it isn't fair, because working days are different in various time zones, time changes are confusing and all that jazz.

So I want everyone's help to find a new solution. Leperflesh has suggested to me that we use the International Date Line to be the start and end time for each month, but he also suggested something I've been wondering about for the past few months: would it be possible to have a fair, accurate and verifiable way for everyone to start the new month at 00:01 on the first of the month and finish at 00:00 on the last day of the month - in their own time zone?

Can anyone suggest a good way to show this in the thread, in a way that we can verify, that would be fabulous. I am completely open to ideas.

I think the worldtimeserver.com site works great for us, and barring any good ideas on allowing people to post timestamps from their own time zones I think the International Date Line idea would work fine. But I think you guys would prefer to be able to finish at midnight in your own time zones, right?

So let's hear your ideas :)

I don't think we can ever prove what time zones people are in reliably, but would 'in the time zone you posted your acceptance pic' work? It means people can game the system a little bit, but I don't think most of us will bother.

I'd personally prefer an absolute time rather than a relative one - I don't much care WHICH one though.

Germ
May 7, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think we can ever prove what time zones people are in reliably, but would 'in the time zone you posted your acceptance pic' work? It means people can game the system a little bit, but I don't think most of us will bother.

I'd personally prefer an absolute time rather than a relative one - I don't much care WHICH one though.

I agree about an absolute time being preferable. One less thing for our overworked organizers to track. GMT is easy to keep track of, so I'd vote sticking to that.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I, Booley, oath 10 Elysian Drop Troops from GW/FW for the month of April

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

thespaceinvader posted:

I agree on the absolute time being preferable and not just because I'm the one who has to worry about it next season. If nothing else, the uneven observance of Daylight Savings will make things messy.

Honestly, the only change I'd have made on last year was maybe to post the time conversion charts a little more often in the thread. I didn't personally have problems keeping track of time, though, so maybe someone who got hit by it could comment more.

Finally, is there a strong argument for or against keeping the deadline being so tight in the first place?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I'm inclined to say that getting many to conform to one is going to be easier than getting one to conform to many, if that makes sense. I might be biased being in the UK and all, but the oath thread has used GMT since forever hasn't it? I didn't take part in seasons 2 and 3 so I might be wrong on that count.

I'd be a harsh bastard and say people have had plenty of time to get used to the timezone quibbles :) I'd go with 'pick a timezone and have everyone stick to it', whether that be GMT or the international dateline, whatever it is it needs to be the same for everyone, advantages and disadvantages be damned.

So that I'm actually contributing something... here's all I can come up with: rather than change the timekeeping method, why not look to support the current 'fixed time' format in a different way? One thing of note is that there is very little noise from the admins in the run up to deadline.. (please don't take that as a criticism, just an observation :)) - if you did something as simple as automated posts at 24 hours, 12 hours, 6 hours, 1 hour etc. that might help alleviate some of the missed deadlines by giving a virtual prod up the backside of the procrastinators :)

Also, whip up a countdown timer on an external site, refer to it regularly in the post to the point where it becomes part of every oathers oathing mantra.

Something that looked like this...

krushgroove posted:

:siren: Impending deadline alert! :siren:

You have 24 hours to get your completed oaths posted, godspeed oathers!

Remember, if you're unsure of how long you have left at any point, you can check on our countdown timer.

...admittedly, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to schedule posts like this, but there will be a way. I'm frantically googling for ideas on it now because I'm curious :) this would also ease the burden on volunteers to be active in the thread around those times (something that real life will always find a way to get in the way of) - have everything scheduled in advance, let it do its thing when the time comes. Sit back and relax!

Obviously any kind of automated posting to SA at all should be mentioned to the mods first, whether it's done with good intentions or not, I doubt it would hurt to pester a mod about it :)

edit: I've half-found a solution for automated posting but as it's past midnight and I need to go to bed, I'll take a nose through it in the morning :)

enri fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 2, 2014

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I'd rather have one set deadline, be it GMT or international date line or whatever, as long as there is one set time.

I, Dagon, oath a counts-as defiler or knight or something

Base model is an old Bandai 1/144 Zaku, with bits from the GW chaos vehicle sprue, a Defiler leg I think, and an Empire cannon. Obviously going for the conversion and probably the weathering bonuses.

Closest I can get to precoversion (old kit, can't find pictures online) is the picture from the instruction book, which is painted and stuff:

Dagon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 2, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Last year (2012-13) the deadline was a US time zone - central or mountain time, I think. I don't remember what it was the year before (and that was the first year I participated).

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I'd prefer a single deadline, with updates from the organisers/ a countdown timer to show how long is left when it gets close.

I just did the time conversion once each year, so last year it was due 2pm on the first for me, and this years was due at 10am on the first.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
I think the countdown timer is a great idea. I always remembered that my due date was the afternoon of the last day, but I could never do the math quite right with Daylight Savings etc, or just didn't trust myself.

I think that if you post the countdown at the start of every month, along with the theme etc, then people could know where to check the current countdown clock. Maybe link the current one in the OP every month too. That would eliminate the need for an automatic post at the 24 hour mark.

Also I don't have a problem with GMT, or any other standard time zone. I think the local time zone idea is interesting but would lead to a lot more needless confusion. Plus it's always really fun to see the last minute posts roll in, and know when they'll be there.

Edit:
OATH
5 Forgeguard, Lady Aiyana and Master Holt, and Epic Eiryss
Privateer Press

Mt. ORourke fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 2, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I currently work online to a roster based on GMT, my last job I worked online for a US company working to US Pacific, so I'm pretty used to my local timezone being completely irrelevant.

I don't mind what time scale we use, as long as I can consistently point to a time at the start of the month and know that's the deadline. Countdown timer might be pretty neat to look at, I can use my webcam, netbook, phone and camera to put a 4 panel display of my paint area on one screen and have the time audibly beeping down in green digital font on the other :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A single deadline is kind of essential because we have a single start time.

Is there any way to embed a countdown clock in the OP? That seems like something the internet should be capable of.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are sites that provide an embeddable GIF. For example:

(I'm not sure this one is actually working right.)

e. ooh, I can make it hideous:

e2. Hmm the interface is clearly cocked up, but I think this one might be right?

Why the gently caress does it think I'm in stockholm

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 2, 2014

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Leperflesh posted:

Last year (2012-13) the deadline was a US time zone - central or mountain time, I think. I don't remember what it was the year before (and that was the first year I participated).

I think I had it set to EST last year, as that's the timezone I'm in and made it easiest (usually) to call brushes down. A countdown timer of some sort would make things easy for people to track and slide in those last second oaths.

Speaking of which, I failed mine last month due to a variety of reasons. But on the plus side, I'm taking the extra time to fix up some of those minor details and make it look better than it would.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:For April I oath: 10 Nihilators, Damiano, and Gastone:siren:
These are Privateer Press.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Booley posted:

I, Booley, oath 10 Elysian Drop Troops from GW/FW for the month of April

Dagon posted:

I, Dagon, oath a counts-as defiler or knight or something
This is awesome and I must do this for my Chaos army!

Mt. ORourke posted:

OATH
5 Forgeguard, Lady Aiyana and Master Holt, and Epic Eiryss
Privateer Press

Red Shoe posted:

:siren:For April I oath: 10 Nihilators, Damiano, and Gastone:siren:
These are Privateer Press.

Accepted!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I, Weirdo, Oath these five 28mm Zomblins from Titan-Forge, and these four goblin rabble from Mantic Games 28mm Kings of War line, with one bearing the standard.

Germ
May 7, 2013

For April, I oath these two ponds and this Plague Defense Line. All are intended for 28mm models. All were scratch built and cast by myself, so I'm hoping that will count as a conversion?

For the plague line to count as a conversion, I'm not 100% on what pre-build photos you might need. Here are two - One are the plaster masters, post carving, and pre-greenstuff. The second is post-casting, pre kit-bashing the gun from GW parts. If you need it, I can take pictures of the greenstuffed master models (which are a bit beat up), or some of the plaster pieces pre-build. I'm pretty sure the foamcore and cardboard masters used to make the plaster mold are fubar. Regardless, let me know what you need, and if scratch-builds don't work, I can always do a different journal.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I, JerryLee, oath to paint seven GW Chaos Cultists and one Reaper Bones barbarian (counts-as Cultist Champion), all 28mm

Four of the cultists and the barbarian have had their heads cut off and replaced with Puppetswar egyptian god masks. This will be a Cut and Swap. The barbarian has also had a Chaos Marine pistol holster added to him.

I didn't take any "before" pictures of the cultist models, but here's a picture with the barbarian and the head sprue so you can see what I did. Since even one model would be enough for the Jurnal (right?), I'm not going to bother hunting up pictures of the cultist sculpts :effort:

Oh, and if you're wondering why the barbarian isn't primed with the rest, that's because Bonesium doesn't play well with my spray primer. If needed I can post a picture after I basecoat him.

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
I, Haydrian, do oath a 10-orc squad of Marauders, from Mantic's Warpath system.

They'll probably be converted with official GW weapons and bases, I need to get them off the sprues and figure out how much the various arms and so on are.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Haydrian posted:

I, Haydrian, do oath a 10-orc squad of Marauders, from Mantic's Warpath system.

Accepted!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Did you miss Weirdo, JerryLee and me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
I think I should end the year with something a bit special.

For April I oath one Imperial Knight Paladin. 28mm scale, GW

House Mortimer shall walk once more!

• Locked thread