Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
So what is the best 27in korean monitor to buy these days, and is ebay still the best way to get one? I am looking to upgrade my monitor (chiefly use it for gaming, surfing, typing, movies, everyday use etc.). Low input lag would be ideal, obviously.

Also I remamber people recommending not to get the pixel perfect guarantees since they basically mean nothing, is this still the case? Any way to get one with guaranteed no dead pixels since I am anal about dead pixels?

Or should I just go for a dell IPS monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Bonobos posted:

So what is the best 27in korean monitor to buy these days, and is ebay still the best way to get one? I am looking to upgrade my monitor (chiefly use it for gaming, surfing, typing, movies, everyday use etc.). Low input lag would be ideal, obviously.

Also I remamber people recommending not to get the pixel perfect guarantees since they basically mean nothing, is this still the case? Any way to get one with guaranteed no dead pixels since I am anal about dead pixels?

Or should I just go for a dell IPS monitor?

I've gone the dell route twice now, and I'm happy that I did.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Why doesn't Amazon stock the U2414H? I don't want to buy it through a 3rd party vendor. :argh:

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Pantheis posted:

what I can only describe as a "shimmer/distortion" on horizontal straight lines
if you mean contrasting lines, then it sounds like typical overdrive artifacts? See if you can disable overdriving on the monitor, otherwise yeah it's pretty standard, some monitors are better than others.

Bonobos posted:

So what is the best 27in korean monitor to buy these days, and is ebay still the best way to get one?
an x-star with only DVI input, as it'll be overclockable and won't have much input lag, and yes

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Christoff posted:

Yeah I'm just more concerned as to whether the 870m can handle 2550x1440p gaming while being connected to another monitor (not for gaming)

Weird that the 17" version of that same system has a VGA, MDP, and HDMI instead of x2 MDP.
Having extra non-gaming monitors hooked up takes only a tiny chunk of RAM and otherwise doesn't impact GPU performance to any noticeable degree (unless you're overlapping windows between both monitors, which tends to make things suffer). The 870M should be ok for medium setting 1440p gaming for most titles, but you're not gonna be pushing 120Hz on Metro 2033 maxed out or anything (or anywhere close, really).

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

I've gone the dell route twice now, and I'm happy that I did.

Any particular reason? I'm upgrading from a u2410 so I'm not adverse to going dell again, I do like the affordability of these Korean panels.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bonobos posted:

Any particular reason? I'm upgrading from a u2410 so I'm not adverse to going dell again, I do like the affordability of these Korean panels.
Kind of like going IBM in the old days: Dell monitors aren't the cheapest, but almost everyone who goes with them is happy with the product. They're solid monitors to begin with, with fit-and-finish a massive step up from a lot of the Korean ones, and they'll happily support your pixel-perfect or "it just doesn't look right!" complaints (and usually pick up the shipping costs, too).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Apropo dell monitors.

IF you bought an U2713HM and are considering picking up used U2711s for cheap, be aware that the AG coating is atrocious compared to the U2713HM. I would've just bought two new U2713HMs had I known the difference was so apparent.

Then again I don't tend to read a lot of text on a white background on the two u2711s, but it's still annoying.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Indeed. The AG coating on most Dell's in the 2011 lineup was...aggressive. They've since learned, though, and the 2013-on lineups have been much more moderate.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Metanaut posted:

So my advice is : don't get a Lenovo. Surely the brand isn't the main factor, but the cost.

Most IT departments stick to one supplier - it's just easier that way for a purchasing and support perspective. For example my workplace is all HP - I can get pretty much whatever I want with the proviso it is one of HPs corporate lines.

Anyway Lenovo does 23, 24 and 30" IPS displays and also one of those ridiculous 29" ultra wides - not sure one what they're going to look like but it'll certainly be better than the basic TN models.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

DrDork posted:

Having extra non-gaming monitors hooked up takes only a tiny chunk of RAM and otherwise doesn't impact GPU performance to any noticeable degree (unless you're overlapping windows between both monitors, which tends to make things suffer). The 870M should be ok for medium setting 1440p gaming for most titles, but you're not gonna be pushing 120Hz on Metro 2033 maxed out or anything (or anywhere close, really).

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the response. I guess now it's just a matter of do I turn the resolution down in game vs turning down the graphics quality.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Bonobos posted:

I always knew I would be getting multiple high resolution displays so I wanted to be consistent with regards to brand and model, and that's slightly more difficult to do with Korean substitutes. The other side of it was that I wanted a decent warranty, the plethora of inputs, and the awesome stand.

Also decided to bite the bullet and pick up a u3014 as a birthday present to myself to serve as a centerpiece between my two u2713hms. The model has had some issues, so I'll give a status report when it gets in.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

These ultra wide screens got me wondering if I wanted to ditch my dual screen setup? Could there be a way to split the monitor into two virtual screens? For instance lets say I want to play a game that doesn't work in windowed mode while still having my email/cat videos in view.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CopperHound posted:

These ultra wide screens got me wondering if I wanted to ditch my dual screen setup? Could there be a way to split the monitor into two virtual screens? For instance lets say I want to play a game that doesn't work in windowed mode while still having my email/cat videos in view.

The LG comes with software that does that; I don't know how well it works, but I can't imagine it will be as smooth as a dedicated display.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well it has multiple inputs so you could treat it as two separate hardware displays, although I don't know if it'll give the proper resolution as an option, or if it could be forced. Course then using the screen as a single screen might be an issue then if some software doesn't span properly.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

dissss posted:

Most IT departments stick to one supplier - it's just easier that way for a purchasing and support perspective. For example my workplace is all HP - I can get pretty much whatever I want with the proviso it is one of HPs corporate lines.

Yeah, my old workplace had a deal with Dell. As strict as they were about pretty much everything (standardized laptop models etc.), you could usually work out getting something else if you were willing to push it. Although that came a lot harder after one department blew some ridiculous amount of money on one guys Mac gear.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

CopperHound posted:

You can split the DELL into two seperate screens but it doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping in that mode.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Straker posted:

an x-star with only DVI input, as it'll be overclockable and won't have much input lag, and yes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-FREE-...fepn=5337259887

Is this one okay ?

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
I'd like to get a second monitor for reading webpages and working on MS Word documents in portrait mode. I do most of my work in Word, so ideally, I'd like a monitor that can display documents up to A4 size in a 1:1 ratio, along with all the Word toolbars. In other words, I want to be able to see on the screen a life-sized version of what would be printed out, without scrolling. What do I need to accomplish this?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Mine has the tempered glass front, but I hear it's really matte under the glossy glass so it's like the worst of both worlds and I think it still looks great, so that should be fine. That seems a little spendy though, I feel like prices have gone up a bit but you should still be able to find something suitable like 30 bucks cheaper if it's worth your time.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Straker posted:

Mine has the tempered glass front, but I hear it's really matte under the glossy glass so it's like the worst of both worlds and I think it still looks great, so that should be fine. That seems a little spendy though, I feel like prices have gone up a bit but you should still be able to find something suitable like 30 bucks cheaper if it's worth your time.

There's probably more demand for the Samsung PLS panels since they can overclock a bit.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Straker posted:

Yes, and the tempered glass has no polarizing filter, so it's glare city. Without the Perfect Pixel guarantee, $280-300 is a good deal for a QNIX or X-STAR monitor.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Spiderjelly posted:

I'd like to get a second monitor for reading webpages and working on MS Word documents in portrait mode. I do most of my work in Word, so ideally, I'd like a monitor that can display documents up to A4 size in a 1:1 ratio, along with all the Word toolbars. In other words, I want to be able to see on the screen a life-sized version of what would be printed out, without scrolling. What do I need to accomplish this?
I guess test out different screen sizes over here and see what can fit an A4 sized box on screen with some buffer space for the other UI bits. It's a matter of software after that, whether Word (and or the OS) can scale things to properly show things 1:1 with the real page with a given PPI.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Zorilla posted:

Yes, and the tempered glass has no polarizing filter, so it's glare city. Without the Perfect Pixel guarantee, $280-300 is a good deal for a QNIX or X-STAR monitor.

I will keep an eye out at this price.

Pixel perfect guarantee, still not worth it? Will they be more likely to take it back if I get the guarantee and it still has dead pixies?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Bonobos posted:

I will keep an eye out at this price.

Pixel perfect guarantee, still not worth it? Will they be more likely to take it back if I get the guarantee and it still has dead pixies?

It's literally a scam. They'll just refund you the money you paid for the "guarantee", which makes the guarantee completely worthless. Companies like Asus don't even offer that guarantee; you think Random Importer Guy on eBay is going to do any better? If you want a real guarantee, you'll be paying $800+ for an UltraSharp.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bonobos posted:

Not only what dpbjinc noted, but there's no way in hell that random Korean eBayer is going to pay for your shipping. So even if you did manage to somehow convince them to replace it, you'd be paying $100+ in shipping alone.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

DrDork posted:

Not only what dpbjinc noted, but there's no way in hell that random Korean eBayer is going to pay for your shipping. So even if you did manage to somehow convince them to replace it, you'd be paying $100+ in shipping alone.

They might, depending on the issue. Both times I had a problem with a Korean monitor I purchased, each seller paid for return shipping. One was for heavy yellowing near the bottom right corner and the other because it displayed garbage on screen for 10-20 seconds after returning from standby. I wouldn't expect them to do the same for a dead pixel, though.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
thanks guys, I'll stay clear of these pixel-perfect sellers.

Pantheis
Apr 15, 2003

Straker posted:

if you mean contrasting lines, then it sounds like typical overdrive artifacts? See if you can disable overdriving on the monitor, otherwise yeah it's pretty standard, some monitors are better than others.

Setting the "trace free" value to anything (0 to 100) doesn't make it any better, and changing it from the default of 60 seems to only make it worse. Coming from my Dell IPS screen, this is a horribly distracting "feature". I've returned all three monitors for replacement to Newegg, but it's likely I'll just get a refund instead. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. At least now I know.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
Any chance someone can just point me to the best korean ebay monitor that's going right now?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I have a fairly basic IPS monitor (LG 22EA53) and occasionally the whole display will darken significantly, then after 2 or 3 seconds it returns to normal brightness. It happens usually when I enter a program that uses primarily dark colors (my code editor, and adobe lightroom). It does this with both DVI and HDMI cables. It reminds me of some kinda garbage auto contrast setting, but I can't find any options to turn it off.

Also unrelated, in my Catalyst Control Panel I have these options:

YCbCr 4:4:4 was the default, but I tried out what RGB 4:4:4 looks significantly brighter and more vivid, but I don't know which option would be best to use. The setting also reverts itself after about 30 seconds even though there is no dialog saying "reverting in 30 seconds..." that typically shows up when you change video settings.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

BANME.sh posted:

YCbCr 4:4:4 was the default, but I tried out what RGB 4:4:4 looks significantly brighter and more vivid, but I don't know which option would be best to use. The setting also reverts itself after about 30 seconds even though there is no dialog saying "reverting in 30 seconds..." that typically shows up when you change video settings.
The last one is the only one that will work correctly.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Great, now if only I can get the option to stick.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BANME.sh posted:

I have a fairly basic IPS monitor (LG 22EA53) and occasionally the whole display will darken significantly, then after 2 or 3 seconds it returns to normal brightness. It happens usually when I enter a program that uses primarily dark colors (my code editor, and adobe lightroom). It does this with both DVI and HDMI cables. It reminds me of some kinda garbage auto contrast setting, but I can't find any options to turn it off.

What kind of video card do you use? I think AMD calls this "varibrite" or something like that, and yes its garbage.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What kind of video card do you use? I think AMD calls this "varibrite" or something like that, and yes its garbage.

ATI 5850.

Anyway I got the RGB 4:4:4 option to stick, and it looks like the brightness issue fixed itself. Not sure yet, because it seems to happen only sometimes.

I couldn't find any varibrite or similar option in the catalyst control panel settings, by the way. But maybe I'm blind.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Nien posted:

Any chance someone can just point me to the best korean ebay monitor that's going right now?

http://bit.ly/1gaLoT1

Here's the one I have. Can be easily overclocked and debezelled if you're like me and don't have a life

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Straker posted:

Right, I'd rather just have a game locked at 60fps and super pretty instead of higher and uglier or maybe prettier but with stuttering etc.

Also current consoles don't even run most stuff at 1080p, there's no way consoles are magically going to be able to push 8x as many pixels any time soon.

They need to be locked at 90 for VR headsets.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I guess that's one reason the Rift SDK 2 isn't quite consumer ready. It peaks out at 75Hz. It also has configurable persistence settings of 1ms, 2ms, and full. Or at least it claims to have those. Nobody knows for sure, since it won't be shipping until at least July.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

kode54 posted:

I guess that's one reason the Rift SDK 2 isn't quite consumer ready. It peaks out at 75Hz. It also has configurable persistence settings of 1ms, 2ms, and full. Or at least it claims to have those. Nobody knows for sure, since it won't be shipping until at least July.

Always heard Q3 of 2014 is the soonest and with the facebook money they can invent new screens instead of dealing with tablet scraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Amazon finally stocked the P2414H. They only had one to put up online, so I grabbed it :haw:. They now have 2 more online. I guess they just got a shipment or something, heh.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 1, 2014