Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

V4s are voiced kind of flat sounding, in my experience. I think they sound good, but they don't have the same kind of bounce that an old Fender has.

As a bass player, I feel like a tube versus solid state power section is a lot less critical than it is for guitar. Plus, lugging around a loud all tube bass head is obnoxious. I love my SVT, but I can't tell you how many times I've fallen down stairs or into a snowbank with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

V4s are voiced kind of flat sounding, in my experience. I think they sound good, but they don't have the same kind of bounce that an old Fender has.

As a bass player, I feel like a tube versus solid state power section is a lot less critical than it is for guitar. Plus, lugging around a loud all tube bass head is obnoxious. I love my SVT, but I can't tell you how many times I've fallen down stairs or into a snowbank with it.

I am sorry for the confusion, I will be playing guitar out of this rig. I just only have the bass cab available since I usually only play bass.

Agreed: I have, played the v4 by myself through both cabs but have not in a live band setting.

The 412 is loaded with 70s CTS speakers and the 610 is eminence 10 betas.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 19, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I've decided I really miss the Fender clean with reverb tone. I gigged for years with a 4x10 super reverb. It got stolen out of my car a few years back, and I've missed it ever since.

I'm thinking of going for that same clean sound but in a smaller package, as I don't gig anymore. I'm basically leaning towards either a Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb.

Can anyone recommend one over the other? They are basically the same amp aren't they? Just wattage and speaker size being the difference. The newer reissues are legit right?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dirt posted:

So I've decided I really miss the Fender clean with reverb tone. I gigged for years with a 4x10 super reverb. It got stolen out of my car a few years back, and I've missed it ever since.

I'm thinking of going for that same clean sound but in a smaller package, as I don't gig anymore. I'm basically leaning towards either a Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb.

Can anyone recommend one over the other? They are basically the same amp aren't they? Just wattage and speaker size being the difference. The newer reissues are legit right?

They are, and they also have the newer '68 RIs which also sound good and have different features.

Guess that doesn't make your choice easier!

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Dirt posted:

I prefer the 12" speaker of the Deluxe.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

They are, and they also have the newer '68 RIs which also sound good and have different features.

Guess that doesn't make your choice easier!

Oh man, I just looked up the 68 Custom Deluxe, that might be the one for me. Anyone have one/played one? I owned a '65 bassmand head for years, does the custom channel really sound like a bassman? Seems pretty cool to get two amps in one basically.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Would be as massive a tonal difference? Would it be better hypothetically to just run both cabs from the v4? I am going for a wall of sound type thing and was just worried that the v4 by itself with 2 cabs wont be able to achieve it quite as well?

(I will test both but always look for other's opinions)
'Wall of Sound' rarely equates to just sheer volume (and I remember us talking about your cab thoughts recently).

Before I got weirdly into something like you're talking about, check out an OD pedal of some sort (ask Agreed about this, dude's got some sick thoughts on those things, my Agreed.txt file is huge), an EQ, slight delay and maybe a nice transparent compressor, hell a BBE Sonic Maximizer might be something to look at too (I have such a love/hate relationship with those things).

People (not necessarily you btw) mistake 'loud and flabby' with the doom sound, but that's not it at all (anymore). You want to fill out the spectrum, look at your output, where you fall in the mix, what holes you have in your sound overall, as a band. Find those holes, fill them. You'll sound a LOT louder, with less volume and less poo poo to carry around too.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

I have a mammoth fuzz clone, a lofi junky ( that has a pretty sick compressor on it), a tube screamer clone, and reverb/delay and a straight delay.

Yeah that is why i am consulting, I am just making sure that I can achieve a crisp heavyiness to the sound without being super flabby. Partially why I am avoiding tuning down to A or something silly like that.

I really just want the extra cabs to push air more than to increase volume than a normal 412. And the stack jsut looks cool as hell :smith:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

HollisBrown posted:

I've got Princeton Reverb that I absolutely love the sound of, however I started to notice that it sounds a lot better to me at home playing lower than when I crank it in the studio or out. I suspect it's because the speaker is small and inefficient by design. I really dig the break up when played loudly but it makes my dirt pedals sound like rear end.

So the solution I'm think about is taking 2x8 cabinet I have sitting around and throwing in some better speakers, something that doesn't breakup quite so low. I'm thinking it will take some load off the built in speaker and also get me a hair more volume.

Is this the right idea or should I just replace the speaker in the combo?

Quoting myself here since this thread picked up. answer my dumb question you chuckle fucks

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

HollisBrown posted:

Quoting myself here since this thread picked up. answer my dumb question you chuckle fucks
What does 'better' mean here? Is it getting flabby and farty when pushed? Whining and trebly? What kind of stuff are you playing?

I really just want the extra cabs to push air more than to increase volume than a normal 412. And the stack jsut looks cool as hell :smith:
Stacks DO look cool as hell, I'll give you that. ;)

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but you said 'push more air' earlier, and I don't understand what that means if you don't mean volume. Are you just looking for sheer, visceral impact of sound waves? If so, rack up a bunch of 10's, throw on some heavy rear end strings, drop it to A and beat the poo poo out of it. Other than that, I dunno what else...Yeah, I do.

Dude, if YOU want to run extra cabs and poo poo for the hell of it because it makes you happy, hell yeah, go for it. It won't hurt a thing, you can DEFINITELY come up with a configuration that'll sound like what you hear in your head and won't break the bank. For what you're wanting to do, and because it sounds like you've got the gear you want already, get your amp set up properly, get your cabs wired, whatever you've gotta do, THEN start tweaking specific parts of your sound after you've got your stage gear picked out.

Hopefully that didn't sound snarky, it was meant to be encouraging and poo poo.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
hah not at all, it's the Internet! Really I am just looking for different opinions which you made clear! and also just wanted to make sure I wasn't fighting an up hill battle.

I have all these ideas in my head an unfortunately, due to scheduling, can only get up with my dudes once a week. I really get over compulsive with gear and over think things and thankfully, you and agreed have been really helpful in me trimming them down.

also trying to find the middle ground of heavy and clarity but, I suppose that is most of people's battle.

but seriously thanks a ton

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

iostream.h posted:

you can DEFINITELY come up with a configuration that'll sound like what you hear in your head and won't break the bank.

Just wanted to say thanks for the JetCity 22H. I finally feel like I've got *that* much closer to what I wanted over that Crate Palomino combo I was using. The lead guitarist has me leaving a BBE Boosta Grande full time on it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

hah not at all, it's the Internet! Really I am just looking for different opinions which you made clear! and also just wanted to make sure I wasn't fighting an up hill battle.

I have all these ideas in my head an unfortunately, due to scheduling, can only get up with my dudes once a week. I really get over compulsive with gear and over think things and thankfully, you and agreed have been really helpful in me trimming them down.

also trying to find the middle ground of heavy and clarity but, I suppose that is most of people's battle.

but seriously thanks a ton
No worries man, tone chasing can be the most frustrating poo poo ever but it's a lot of fun too.
Bear in mind, I DO tend to err towards 'gently caress that I've lugged that poo poo around it doesn't make a difference to the crowd at the end of the night therefore gently caress it' a LOT. I'm not jaded, I LOVE what I do, but the less I worry about my poo poo and the more I get to just show my rear end, well, the better!

Alright, you want stoner sound with the rig you've got and you specifically want to use your multi-cab setup for the soni-visual awesomeness factor:

What's your current amp/cab setup (I pulled your post history in this thread and I'm still kind of confused to what you actually HAVE v/s what you want/planned on getting) and what's your band's current composition? You guys are playing sans PA, correct? You mentioned tuning to A, is that a thing or are y'all 440 or what? Let's get you set.

Sockington posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the JetCity 22H. I finally feel like I've got *that* much closer to what I wanted over that Crate Palomino combo I was using. The lead guitarist has me leaving a BBE Boosta Grande full time on it.
Dude, I'm no poo poo legit thrilled you're digging it! You need to send more drat sound clips tho'! Throw me some band practice clips! I'm tired of spamming my crap in here. ;)

And yeah, with my Jubilee I pretty much leave a boost on full-time, the others it just depends. A good boost is a fantastic thing. You got a good comp on it yet?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

iostream.h posted:

What does 'better' mean here? Is it getting flabby and farty when pushed? Whining and trebly? What kind of stuff are you playing?

I play basically everything but hard rock/metal. My "signature" style is sort of an alt-country thing, sort of Bill Kirchen, Uknown Hinson this tone for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVGXIHZlhdg this is my ideal tone. But I play psychedelic fuzz stuff too and I really dig early Jerry Garcia tone too.

My tone when cranked gets excessively bright, very harsh, but it will also fart out with fuzz and my P-90 equipped guitar.

I'm thinking it's just maybe the nature of 10" speakers.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

HollisBrown posted:

I play basically everything but hard rock/metal. My "signature" style is sort of an alt-country thing, sort of Bill Kirchen, Uknown Hinson this tone for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVGXIHZlhdg this is my ideal tone. But I play psychedelic fuzz stuff too and I really dig early Jerry Garcia tone too.
I'm checking out clips and the specs on that amp/speaker as I'm not horribly familiar with it. First thing I noticed was the wattage, so yours would be either 15 or 22 watts, right? You mentioned having a 10" speaker, so I'm guessing it'd be a '64-'81 model at 12-15 watts, right?

What kind of shape are your power output tubes in?

HollisBrown posted:

My tone when cranked gets excessively bright, very harsh, but it will also fart out with fuzz and my P-90 equipped guitar.

I'm thinking it's just maybe the nature of 10" speakers.
Nah, I switched to 10's for the opposite reason, tight, crisp and responsive as hell, much less flabby than 12's, even the V30's and I use a P90 LP into mine too.

I would WONDER if you're under powering your speaker and clipping that way, which could maybe be an issue if you DO have tube issues, how old are they?

Edit: Found this, sounds applicable:

Internet Truth Can't Be Wrong, Right? posted:

1. The amp is way too harsh on the ears
2. The bass is no where to be found
3. It's all mids, all the time
4. The clean sounds like the dirty channel, and the dirty sounds like rubbish

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 20, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Yeah sometimes I get a bit confusing, I am posting at work and sometimes multi taking.

guitar: 1972 aria sg replica, stock pickups

head: ampeg v4 (acoustic 320 optional)

cabs: ampeg v2 oversized 412 guitar (ported) loaded with original CTS.
emperor 610 ported bass cab loaded with eminence beta 10s

pedals: korg tuner>mammoth fuzz clone>pedal loop( boss ce5>earthquaker dispatch master>lofi instant junky>guy atone mdm5)>Icarus clean boost - I have a tubes screamer clone on the way

what exactly would I do with compression with this, the lofi actually has a compression setting that's pretty amazing so technically I have one.

oh yeah we are currently tuned to drop d, definitely want drop tuning because my favorite chord ever is almost impossible without it(small hands)

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Mine is a 65 RI, the amp itself is less than 2 years old, tubes are still the originals but honestly this never got gigged hard. So I would be shocked if the power tubes were wearing out.

Edit: My personal opinion is that I'm hearing speaker clipping mixed with my dirt pedals so it sounds all fucky (technical term)

Will adding an extension cab keep the amp from pushing the combo speaker quite so hard and clipping or is not how it works?

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 20, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Yeah sometimes I get a bit confusing, I am posting at work and sometimes multi taking.

what exactly would I do with compression with this, the lofi actually has a compression setting that's pretty amazing so technically I have one.
No worries! I just wanted to make sure I had a good idea of your setup before I started pondering.

I dig a BIT of compression on heavy tracks, just a touch to tighten up the dynamics, especially if you're doing long droning crunch tracks with heavy riffing on the neck pickup. Hit squish, back off, just barely enough to tell that it's on, then crack it forward. The most optional thing tho', it's just personal flavor but it helps pull you out of the mix a bit, especially with how much bottom end you guys are likely going to be carrying, ESPECIALLY in a room with no PA.

You need an EQ. Desperately. Use it to set yourself in the mix at a spot higher than the bass, and in a different spot than the other guitarist. Cut your low frequencies to eliminate the rumble and muddiness, pump your mids (yeah, I know,you'd think 'mid-scoop') and highs for a solid mid-thump and the treble will cut through and SOUND louder with more clarity which should add to your 'wall o' sound' wish.

Think about splitting your signal between the two rigs, rather than slaving them. Throw a slight delay, just a hit of slapback and a touch of reverb (MAYBE reverb) and another EQ to further separate it in the mix. Run one of your heads a bit cleaner than the other.

I'm still pondering it, it's a fun mental exercise, the way I have listed above wouldn't be expensive at all to do and would make for a solid sound, I'd like to hear it actually.

HollisBrown posted:

Mine is a 65 RI, the amp itself is less than 2 years old, tubes are still the originals but honestly this never got gigged hard. So I would be shocked if the power tubes were wearing out.
I hear you, but remember, they're basically little lightbulbs and it's not horribly uncommon for lightbulbs to occasionally blow right out of the box.

Edit:

HollisBrown posted:

Will adding an extension cab keep the amp from pushing the combo speaker quite so hard and clipping or is not how it works?
It's not really how it works unless you've got a disconnect type of extension jack (there are a few combos that do this I believe).

Based on your description, especially considering that you were apparently happy with its sound until recently, leads me to believe you've got dying tubes somewhere, regardless of their age. I really doubt the speaker's poo poo itself so soon, especially if you haven't beaten the hell out of it. I'd almost guarantee (without trying to be smug or brag w/e) that I push my 10's a shitload harder than you do so anecdotal evidence etc.

Tubes. Someone else get in here and validate me!

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 20, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

iostream.h posted:

No worries! I just wanted to make sure I had a good idea of your setup before I started pondering.

I dig a BIT of compression on heavy tracks, just a touch to tighten up the dynamics, especially if you're doing long droning crunch tracks with heavy riffing on the neck pickup. Hit squish, back off, just barely enough to tell that it's on, then crack it forward. The most optional thing tho', it's just personal flavor but it helps pull you out of the mix a bit, especially with how much bottom end you guys are likely going to be carrying, ESPECIALLY in a room with no PA.

You need an EQ. Desperately. Use it to set yourself in the mix at a spot higher than the bass, and in a different spot than the other guitarist. Cut your low frequencies to eliminate wouldn't be expensive at all to do and would make for a solid sound, I'd like to hear it
Based

Would I need an eq pedal? couldn't I just set up the amp for the needed frequencies?

do you think the v4 couldn't do all this by itself? not debating just a question of making it a slight bit more simplistic. not in love with the two rig idea but just an option that I was debating. if you think I'd be fine with just the v4 id be cool with it, or if you think adding the 320 would be rad- I'm down too.

two split cabs look ALMOST as cool as a cab mountain.

I do like the slap back idea though with the second signal. Couldnt i just run out the preamp out, into a slapback delay pedal ontop of the acoustic320 and into the preamp in? I have an aby but think this could give me the v4 color that the 320 would desperately need? (no tubes :( in it ) or would the even the tube preamp make a massive difference?

definitely going to try driving the mids more though.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 20, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Would I need an eq pedal? couldn't I just set up the amp for the needed frequencies?
Yes, absolutely.
The EQs on most amps suck rear end and I've only seen a couple EVER that came close to even the most basic EQ pedal.
Get at least one of the MXR 10 band jobs, two would be loving swank, OR get a dual channel rack mount EQ (going rack would really open up your options).

I mean, there's levels of all this, right? The amp controls CAN make a big difference in a band mix but you're talking about extending things down into a sonic area that can EASILY get muddy as poo poo, QUICKLY, ESPECIALLY when you throw your band into some of the poo poo rooms you WILL be playing, it's inevitable, add to the fact that you're not using a PA and things can get even worse even quicker.

I'm not trying to say you need some crazy U2 level of processing or anything, I'm kind of trying to go by what you said a couple of different times that you want while still being a cut above a couple of guys slaving heads into each other and throwing out a bunch of garbage noise.

Yes, I overthink things a lot, too. ;)

do you think the v4 couldn't do all this by itself? not debating just a question of making it a slight bit more simplistic. not in love with the two rig idea but just an option that I was debating. if you think I'd be fine with just the v4 id be cool with it, or if you think adding the 320 would be rad- I'm down too.
Well, bear in mind, initially I'm the one who said 'woah wtf just throw that poo poo into a 2x12, 4x10 or something and don't sweat it, you can get wall o' sound easily without adding the extra cab/amp/etc' (and I'm not faulting you for that either man, God knows I play some goofy poo poo just because it makes me happy, so like earlier, I'm sincere when I say that if you WANT to do it, then hell yeah, DO IT!), but again, there's just plugging in and diming your poo poo, and there's sounding loud with (using your word again) clarity.

two split cabs look ALMOST as cool as a cab mountain.
Hell yeah, and really, part of a successful show IS the appearance. Plus, again, if you dig it, gently caress it, that's why we're playing, to have fun, right?

I do like the slap back idea though with the second signal. Couldnt i just run out the preamp out, into a slapback delay pedal ontop of the acoustic320 and into the preamp in? I have an aby but think this could give me the v4 color that the 320 would desperately need? (no tubes :( in it ) or would the even the tube preamp make a massive difference?

definitely going to try driving the mids more though.
Well, it's not JUST the tube preamp in the V4. You CAN definitely run the preamp signal into a slapback (or whatever else you want, really) and then into the Acoustic320 without issue (and that'd actually be somewhat preferable since you'd want delay/mod after the preamp and before the power amp anyway (usually).

The main reason I was picturing the V4 and Acoustic320 in an AB/Y configuration was because (based on what I'm reading) the V4 is voiced pretty dark and the Acoustic320 is a lot brighter, which would help with your separation and further thicken your signal.

Christ, I'm enjoying all this theory crafting bullshit, but am I coming across like a spergy, insufferably know-it-all? I can shut up, I promise.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

iostream.h posted:

Yes, absolutely.
The EQs on most amps suck rear end and I've only seen a couple EVER that came close to even the most basic EQ pedal.
Get at least one of the MXR 10 band jobs, two would be loving swank, OR get a dual channel rack mount EQ (going rack would really open up your options).

Noted, I will keep an eye out for a good used one for sure! This is why I ask these questions!

iostream.h posted:

Well, bear in mind, initially I'm the one who said 'woah wtf just throw that poo poo into a 2x12, 4x10 or something and don't sweat it, you can get wall o' sound easily without adding the extra cab/amp/etc' (and I'm not faulting you for that either man, God knows I play some goofy poo poo just because it makes me happy, so like earlier, I'm sincere when I say that if you WANT to do it, then hell yeah, DO IT!), but again, there's just plugging in and diming your poo poo, and there's sounding loud with (using your word again) clarity.

Yeah if I can get away with just the v4 I will but, having the 320 available with these rad ideas you have is neat! I am going to bring EVERYTHING to practice and just mess around until I find whats rad. Technically I could just put up the cab mountain with the v4 on top and the acoustic on the side!

iostream.h posted:

I can shut up, I promise.

No way dude! I am getting some rad ideas and things to test and fool around with! I think I am first going to try the v4 on top of the mountain, then the slave w/ slapback echo. I think the ABY will have to wait until I get a more suitable guitar rig, because when I use the clean signal and use my boost to put it into saturation/tube goodness without dirt then it is going to just get THAT much louder and push way too much infront of the v4.

Maybe I am wrong, but thats what I am figuring? The v4 also has some neat rocker switches that I can fool around with the mids/ultra hi. Mostly they have been kinda useless but maybe knowing what I am going for, it might be a bit easier?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

So there was some V4 talk a little earlier in the thread but I couldn't spot anywhere that described the sound too well. This just popped up on my local CL and I'm wondering if I should jump on it:

Early 70's Ampeg V-4 head with Mitchell cabinet.

For $450. That sounds kind of crazy to me unless I'm missing something. Thoughts? I'd be playing an LP through it.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That's a reasonable deal, sure, particularly with a cabinet.

They sound somewhat hi-fi compared to a Fender (by which I mean, somewhat neutral sounding). But they can get a great grind when you push them.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

nrr posted:

So there was some V4 talk a little earlier in the thread but I couldn't spot anywhere that described the sound too well. This just popped up on my local CL and I'm wondering if I should jump on it:

Early 70's Ampeg V-4 head with Mitchell cabinet.

For $450. That sounds kind of crazy to me unless I'm missing something. Thoughts? I'd be playing an LP through it.

Dude if you dont grab that, I may pay you to grab it for me. Where do you live? V4 is my favorite non botique head. That is literally a steal, you can flip that for 500-600 easy, head alone.

Depends how loud you play, they have alot of head room but when you get that grind and break up - its awesome. Takes pedals like a champ. Seriously, just buy it. If you dont like it, I'd probably buy it off you depending on shipping.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 27, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'm going to have to mod my Jet City or I'm going to end up trading it for something else. It just sounds very... brittle. Fizzy, spitty, just not good. Even with the treble rolled down to 0 it's very ice-picky with my Strat (and I thought it might be the guitar but no, it sounds nice and bright and full in amp sims, through my Crate workhorse, through a Zoom G5, even direct to the board). I'll probably switch to using my Agile for now just so I'm not blasting everyone with treble but it's a mess. Besides swapping out the tubes (and I guess the speaker), what other mods can I perform? And would switching to KT66s help at all?

E: Also nrr you grab that v4 and you hold it tight (plus if you keep it stoner rock and doom dudes will pay you tons of dollars in the future)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

Also nrr you grab that v4 and you hold it tight (plus if you keep it stoner rock and doom dudes will pay you tons of dollars in the future)

Or pass it along to me and keep the cab as a reminder of it :colbert:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I've got the dude bringing it over tomorrow. Anything I should be looking for as red flags or deal breaker type problems that they're particularly succeptible to?

E: he sent me some pics. The cab looks like poo poo. Completely open and what are those, 10's? 8's?

nrr fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 28, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

nrr posted:

I've got the dude bringing it over tomorrow. Anything I should be looking for as red flags or deal breaker type problems that they're particularly succeptible to?

E: he sent me some pics. The cab looks like poo poo. Completely open and what are those, 10's? 8's?

Not really succeptible to much, I do not think. They are built like tanks and have a massive OT (btw it weighs nearly 70 pounds). The tubes look kind of fresh, but then again V4s tend to run a bit cold. The big thing that you need to look for with older amp is replacing the Caps which is really not something you can check on a cursory review. It looks like a non master volume which is cool, those tend to be a bit more desirable and a bit more rare in the v4 (opposed to the v4b).

Looks little beat so I'd kick the tires a bit, turn it up and play it LOUD, you HAVE to push it because that is how you are going to want to play it. Check each knob and switch while the volume is pretty loud to check for dirty pots and faulty switches. The rocker switches are (dont feel like looking it up) I think - sensitivity(ch 1/ ch2), hi-push, mid boost.

Check to see if the reverb is working, but you will have to kind of push the amp to get it to be noticeable.

The cab is a 210 and a open back, which is cool cause it shows that this dude most likely has never pushed this amp! You can buy a back plate for it on fliptops.net for like 10-15 bucks.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Welp, thanks for the info. Looks like I might not get a shot at it though. Just called me to say hes had another guy who got in touch with him first, has a 300w head and wants to downgrade. Going to try it out today and see if its got enough power for him, which from what it sounds like, it definitely will. He's going to be using it for bass though, which I said could be a problem but that was more of a last ditch effort to try and make sure I can have a shot at it. Is there even that much difference between the V4 and the V4B? I can't imagine there'd be too much problem playing bass through the regular V4.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

nrr posted:

Welp, thanks for the info. Looks like I might not get a shot at it though. Just called me to say hes had another guy who got in touch with him first, has a 300w head and wants to downgrade. Going to try it out today and see if its got enough power for him, which from what it sounds like, it definitely will. He's going to be using it for bass though, which I said could be a problem but that was more of a last ditch effort to try and make sure I can have a shot at it. Is there even that much difference between the V4 and the V4B? I can't imagine there'd be too much problem playing bass through the regular V4.

So far as I've read, the main difference is one of the toggles on the V4B allows for a deeper voicing, but the regular V4/VT22 is still more than up for the challenge of bass. Grab it. That's one of the early Linden, NJ models before Magnavox bought them out. I haven't seen a V4 head sell for less than $800 online in a really long time, and the Linden models have some sort of special magic about them apparently. Deals like this don't pop up every day. It looks like it needs some TLC, but you can buy a new faceplate and other misc. parts for it at fliptops.net if you have in mind to restore it a little bit.

Looks little beat so I'd kick the tires a bit, turn it up and play it LOUD, you HAVE to push it because that is how you are going to want to play it. Check each knob and switch while the volume is pretty loud to check for dirty pots and faulty switches. The rocker switches are (dont feel like looking it up) I think - sensitivity(ch 1/ ch2), hi-push, mid boost.

Check to see if the reverb is working, but you will have to kind of push the amp to get it to be noticeable.

Regarding the reverb, check the back chassis to make sure that the reverb lock mechanism isn't in the inward/locked position. It's a metal slider type thing along the top above the "Footswitch in" jack that you can push in and push out. If the reverb isn't working at first, it might not be broken, you might just need to shimmy the lock mechanism out.

Here are a couple pages from the original manuals explaining a few other things:

The rocker switches over the mid and treble pots make a HUGE difference to how those pots react, and at which frequencies they respond to.

Here's also a neat trick that I found with mine (early 70s Magnavox-era non-master volume VT22), not sure if it's like this on other VT22s/V4s, but if you plug the guitar into input #1 and turn it up to an audible but not TOO loud level, with the input sensitivity switches for input 1 and input 2 both at 0dB, you can use the volume pot for input 2 as a sort of preamp boost. Basically the input 2 volume pot can give the main channel a little bit of grind. It's more noticeable with a bit of overdrive in your line and at bedroom levels (turning it up loud lessens its effect), and it's very subtle, but it's really great for fine-tuning. Almost like a presence knob, let's say.

One thing I would say is just turn it on and don't play anything. Turn it up loud enough so you can hear the white noise hiss that any amp will make, and just listen for any "surprise" sounds. Mine has some issues where it will spontaneously pop and rumble, which might be signs that the filter caps need changing or a tube is hosed. Just beware that if you need new tubes, some of the ones in the V4 are not made anymore so it can be a hassle to track them down. Fliptops sells them in sets, but from what I've seen they tend to overprice things. I would also suggest being open to getting a set of four matching power tubes for that one in particular. Two JJs and what appears to be two mismatched (?) Sovtek 7027s might be an issue, especially in that configuration (Sovtek/JJ/JJ/Sovtek?), but someone else who knows more about that might be able to explain why a little better than I can. Four 7027s might be a bit pricey, but if you're cool with going down to 80w RMS then you could substitute four 6L6GCs no problem*.

*Slight problem, might have to have a tech bias it or add a bias control on the back so they don't run hot.

//

So I was browsing Kijiji in my little shithole city and someone's selling two early 70s Orange 4x12 column cabs. One is empty and the other has "a pair of eminence speakers and a pair of celestion speakers." No speaker model names given. "Taking offers, first reasonable offer takes em."

What would be a reasonable offer? I can't find hardly any information about these anywhere, and the usual ebay search through completed listings is bringing up nothing. Considering one is empty and the other has mismatched speakers, what would be a reasonable offer to make?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 28, 2014

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
While we're on this Ampeg V4 chat, I wanted to point out I just found an Ampeg V22 on ebay, listed at $400, pick up only in Chicagoland. It's the combo version of the V4 head. If I was gigging out on the regular and/or not living in an apartment I would snatch it up in a heartbeat, but I figured I could turn goons onto this before I tip off Chicago non-goons that I know.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Well gently caress. Bass dude took that V4 before I had a chance. Bummer.

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
Hi ampgoons, so I just picked up a 1969 fender dual showman reverb (a twin reverb in head form):

The thing currently sounds like absolute poo poo, not a lot of volume and a good amount of breakup. This is expected because it has all original parts, the capacitors and even the tubes were never changed. The reverb and tremolo are both working fine at least.

My question is what can I expect out of it once I get it fixed up by an amp tech? I kind of took a risk on it since I am not experienced with vintage fender amps and I don't know exactly what it will sound like or how much volume I can get out of it. What I am looking for is something really loud with a lot of headroom that is a good platform for pedals. Everything THE INTERNET has told me is that this amp should do that job nicely when it is operating properly, but I don't know for sure. Maybe I am an idiot.

Also, any recommendations for a cabinet to pair it with? My band plays a pretty wide range of styles but I am blasting my distortion or fuzz pedals most of the time. We get occasionally doomy and I'll really crank up the volume/fuzz/detuning so something that can handle all that is a plus.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Clean clean clean. You're going to either have to turn it up earsplittingly loud to get it to break up or drive it with pedals (which it handles with grace and aplomb). Silverfaces in particular don't break up much.

As far as cabinets go, I'd be interested in trying it with a 2x15 but if you're just looking for speaker recommendations I'd say try a 4x12 loaded with Eminence Swamp Thangs (you can get a 4x12 from avatar loaded with exactly that) or if you can find an old Basson cab those tend to be pretty cheap and handle low end very well.

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
Nice you are telling me what I want to hear. Already got that poo poo in the shop, hoping it won't cost too much to fix. Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into those cabs, I've also got a non-operational Carvin 4x12 that I could gut and replace the speakers with those Eminence ones or similar. Do you think that would be a good idea or is it important to consider cab materials/size/shape when choosing speakers?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

It's important but it's also important to use what you have. Besides, you can always order an empty cabinet later if you decide that your Carvin isn't cutting the mustard (it will probably be fine)

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
Yeah that sounds like a good plan. Looking at the speaker options available for those avatar cabs it looks like it might be fun to mix it up, maybe put 2 swamp thangs on the bottom and 2 of something else with a different frequency response on the top. I'm assuming since my main goal is a good distorted sound via pedals into a clean amp I am generally looking for speakers with higher power ratings? If it makes a difference I play lead in my band so looking to cut through the mix pretty well. Thanks for all the help!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

D-Tron posted:

Nice you are telling me what I want to hear. Already got that poo poo in the shop, hoping it won't cost too much to fix. Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into those cabs, I've also got a non-operational Carvin 4x12 that I could gut and replace the speakers with those Eminence ones or similar. Do you think that would be a good idea or is it important to consider cab materials/size/shape when choosing speakers?

Most decent guitar cabs won't sound much different than others. Bass cabs are much much much more temperamental.

Problem is that the speakers are 95% of the cost for most cabs. You can probably find a 1960a cab with gt12s or some other 412 with v30s and save a pretty penny, you can find both of those from 250-300$ easy. the speakers new cost 100+ per speaker.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Most decent guitar cabs won't sound much different than others. Bass cabs are much much much more temperamental.

Problem is that the speakers are 95% of the cost for most cabs. You can probably find a 1960a cab with gt12s or some other 412 with v30s and save a pretty penny, you can find both of those from 250-300$ easy. the speakers new cost 100+ per speaker.

If you go the Wharehouse Guitar Speakers Veteran30s, you can get them new for $69. Just an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

High gain goons, what's a better purchase? An Engl Savage 120, or the Engl Savage SE (Not the Engl SE)?

Unfortunately it's one of those things where I can't play before I buy due to the scarcity in the country, but there are some decent deals on both floating around.