Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Neither. Allow me to introduce Baby R-Type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm going to name my children after the three Gods of Thunder: Thor, Raiden & Gene Simmons.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Junius posted:

Similarly, a birth announcement popped up in my Facebook feed for the arrival of "... our darling Deja (pronounced like déjà vu but without the weird bit)."

Weird bit. Uh-huh.

Maybe they really liked Dejah Thoris from the John Carter of Mars series.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

flakeloaf posted:

In a part of the world where "a" is pronounced "err" I can see that being a problem.

Where I'm from (Australia), the 'a' is pronounced 'uh'. The problem is that 'are' is pronounced in such a lazy way that it also sounds like 'uh'.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah, it's an accent thing. Some people will pronounce the name similar to "Treeza" (hence the joke) and in other parts of the world it would be "teh-reese-ah".

For us, it's somewhere in the middle. 'teh-ree-zuh'.
That said, Australian pronunciation is so lax that if you were called 'teh-reese-ah', and someone pronounced it 'teh-ree-zuh' or 'treeza', it probably wouldn't be considered a mispronunciation; only someone pretty finicky would correct a mistake like that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Istari posted:

Where I'm from (Australia), the 'a' is pronounced 'uh'. The problem is that 'are' is pronounced in such a lazy way that it also sounds like 'uh'.

For us, it's somewhere in the middle. 'teh-ree-zuh'.
That said, Australian pronunciation is so lax that if you were called 'teh-reese-ah', and someone pronounced it 'teh-ree-zuh' or 'treeza', it probably wouldn't be considered a mispronunciation; only someone pretty finicky would correct a mistake like that.

Sorry guys, yeah, I'm from Australia too.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I noticed something strange the other day. The name Oprah doesn't sound strange at all. Everyone's heard of Oprah Winfrey, and she's been on the air longer than I've been alive, so her name doesn't sound weird even though it's made up. The funny part is she got the name because nobody could get her actual name right. She was born Orpah Winfrey. It's a real name, and it's even in the bible but it sounds more made up than her stage name just because we're more used to hearing her stage name. Even my browser accepts Oprah as a word and takes exception to Orpah.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad officials stopped this, but what is with people trying to give their kids horrible names?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Saw the Need for Speed movie tonight and I will never not laugh at the actress Imogen Poots and her very unfortunate name.

edit: Her full name is legitimately Imogen Gay Poots holy crap.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Say Nothing posted:

I'm glad officials stopped this, but what is with people trying to give their kids horrible names?

It's possible the couple could've been from a non-English country and was angling for "a nall" or something like that. Also there's a mistake in that article - the girl actually was named Talula etc. and she was suing for emancipation so she could change it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A perfectly normal name for an elf sex expert.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is that icelandic or danish or swedish?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I was looking through the police blotter in the paper today. A guy named Nikalaus Outhouse got arrested on a heroin charge.

Jippa posted:

Is that icelandic or danish or swedish?

Icelandic

e: That said though that entire part of the world is simply lousy with elves so it's definitely good to make sure one way or the other.

stubblyhead has a new favorite as of 09:33 on Mar 22, 2014

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Grew up with a friend named Zolt which is apparently a not totally uncommon Greek name. Also my real estate agent has the middle / last name combo of Khant Singh. Oddly enough he's never available for karaoke night.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Not really terrible but I was at a memorial service and sat near an older lady I've known my whole life and it finally struck me that her name is kinda odd, it's Lova pronounced low-vuh. It's kinda interesting how you can know a name your whole life and not realize it's odd until someone points it out. I also know a Julilah.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I have a bible that was lent to me in Sunday School as a kid, which I forgot to give back before I moved away. In the front cover, it has the names of the other people it had been lent to over the years.

A. Bort.
Someone with the given name Ghorst.

But then there's someone with the surname Sass.
And, one of the greatest names I've ever heard, Meridien Starchild (who had the book in the '50s).

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Not a terrible name by any means, just wondering if we could somehow get him an account...

Anushka Goonawardena

e: dude's got some pretty good research too

Phraggah has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Mar 25, 2014

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Nevermind.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Istari posted:

Nevermind.
Parents must have been Nirvana fans.

And an actual contribution...

deadbeef_dk
May 20, 2003

straylightunity posted:

Not a first name, but if you drive through Indiana you'll see a ton of billboards for RV salesman Tom Raper. The signs are everywhere. I also met an art student named The Zenith.

Man, I still get a giggle out of his ads.

There was a guy a few years ahead of me at school named Delmonte Zucchini Jones.

I also know two women named Mary Christmas. The first married into the name, the other was her daughter who has presumably married out of it by now.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Was reading a news story and well, Armani Deniro.

Rapper Joshua Ribera's killer Armani Mitchell jailed

Also, my coworker claims to have gone to school with a girl named Special.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
There's a politician here, Phil Twyford, who has the middle name Stoner. Apparently it was his mother's maiden name.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Stoner's actually a pretty common last name. Doesn't make it any less funny though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My Aunt's name is Lisia- pronounced like Lisa.
And I just realized the little girl who was kidnapped from Washington, DC is named Relisha. I can't help but think her Mom named her after a condiment.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
One of the contestants on Jeopardy tonight was a man by the name of Clay Walls. Definitely did a double take when I heard that one.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Say Nothing posted:

A perfectly normal name for an elf sex expert.

For my benefit, I'm going to assume they're talking about the Santa Claus sort of elves.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Not necessarily terrible, just got really old really quickly: my name is Lily. I dated a dude called James for about a year in ~2008 when the Harry Potter craze was going full steam, and it was absolutely unreal the number of "HURR HURR IT'S THE POTTERS ARE YOU GONNA NAME YOUR KID HARRY" jokes I heard from people who thought they were clever. Luckily I never ended up having a kid with him.

I did, however, have to have a serious conversation with my ex-husband (surname Jackson) about why we couldn't name our son Michael or Andrew. :sigh:

e: SORRY MS JACKSON (WOOOOOOOOOO) I AM FOR REEEEEEAL :suicide:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
ARE YOU GONNA CHANGE YOUR USERNAME TO THEPOTTERS

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Another two found at work: Jack Hiscocks and Mrs Costa Pante, middle name Rica.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I work in a call center, and a woman regularly calls in with a last name she pronounces as "cologne", but is spelled c o l o n.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Mooktastical posted:

I work in a call center, and a woman regularly calls in with a last name she pronounces as "cologne", but is spelled c o l o n.

I think that's a pretty common Hispanic name. It's still funny, though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sweeperbravo posted:

I think that's a pretty common Hispanic name. It's still funny, though.

Kind of like how Macarena is a perfectly normal Hispanic name but the mostly American parents of the girl I met really should have known better by the time they had her :suicide:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

We have Zubair here at work. People pronounce it as "ze bear".

I want to be ze bear :3:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Someone named Chelsy just got hired at my job to fill the recent empty position. Not a weird name, just a weird spelling.

edit: According to Firefox Chelsy is an appropriate substitute for Chelsea or Chelsey and I wholeheartedly disagree!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

CJacobs posted:

Someone named Chelsy just got hired at my job to fill the recent empty position. Not a weird name, just a weird spelling.

edit: According to Firefox Chelsy is an appropriate substitute for Chelsea or Chelsey and I wholeheartedly disagree!

Firefox lied.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Mooktastical posted:

Colin powell's pronunciation still cracks me up.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
EDIT: Never mind.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 10:36 on Apr 2, 2014

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sadhbh Walshe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malus
Nov 17, 2006

The dicks ain't biting
I saw a baby named Texas Quayle. Real good poo poo.