Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

the milk machine posted:

Not that everyone should run out and go to law school over it, but practicing in a firm isn't (necessarily) THAT bad...

Just like most jobs, it depends somewhat on the firm "culture," a/k/a the composition and attitude of the equity partners. Still, federal government jobs have lots of advantages.

Counter point: I'm taking the month of August off, paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

Counter point: I'm taking the month of August off, paid.

Counter-counter point - so am I.

(I just have to make up the 170 hours for it during the other 11 months.)

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Kalman posted:

Counter-counter point - so am I.

(I just have to make up the 170 hours for it during the other 11 months.)

You can do that within the policies of the firm. However, in a big firm is it not possible that this vacation could hurt your chances of making partner? As in going off the radar for a month could take you out of the loop on important deals/cases and make people think that you can't handle the 24/7 work lifestyle required to advance? I imagine that is not an issue in government.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Swingline posted:

You can do that within the policies of the firm. However, in a big firm is it not possible that this vacation could hurt your chances of making partner? As in going off the radar for a month could take you out of the loop on important deals/cases and make people think that you can't handle the 24/7 work lifestyle required to advance? I imagine that is not an issue in government.

I have found that the bigger problem is that in a larger firm, things simply do not "stop" to allow you to take long periods of time off. Deals don't wait for you, litigation does not pause for you to be gone a month, etc.

In a federal setting, you simply have a built in mandate to say, "gently caress it, I'm leaving for two weeks for vacation." No one is going to fire you for that (assuming you took the appropriate steps in advance).

There is no such thing in a private firm. If I tell my client or partner, "Hey, put your poo poo on hold, I'm going to be gone a month," they'll just find someone else, and there is a fairly good chance they won't be coming back to you when you return.

Both clients and partners are control freaks. They masturbate to you being miserable, and it bothers them if you try to assert a zone of control yourself.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I disagree. They get pissy if you tell them "leaving for a month" the day before you do it. If you tell them "next year I am going to take August off" they're okay with it and you won't get blowback. You do have to schedule appropriately - litigation has dead periods, at least, and they're usually predictable far in advance. Might get a couple emails during vacation but overall it is doable, at least at my firm. Two week vacations are trivial to plan and very common here - a month is the outer limit and takes a little more effort, but people do it.

(Also, you shouldn't plan your life on what will help you make partner, because you probably won't make it anyway.)

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I don't mind if outside counsel wants to go off the grid for a while so long as I know about it and can plan for it. It's just a matter of communication.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Kalman posted:

I disagree. They get pissy if you tell them "leaving for a month" the day before you do it. If you tell them "next year I am going to take August off" they're okay with it and you won't get blowback. You do have to schedule appropriately - litigation has dead periods, at least, and they're usually predictable far in advance. Might get a couple emails during vacation but overall it is doable, at least at my firm. Two week vacations are trivial to plan and very common here - a month is the outer limit and takes a little more effort, but people do it.

(Also, you shouldn't plan your life on what will help you make partner, because you probably won't make it anyway.)

Hey Kal-Train, sorry, I'm gonna need you to cancel that vacation, our client's new Skip-It prototype disemboweled a little boy and now we need you to find some dirt on his family, hope you can reschedule, Kal-Train!

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 30, 2014

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I prefer just randomly taking 1-2 days off throughout the year to taking a big long vacation. People just assume you're in deps/meetings/seminars and there's no need to clear anything with some sociopathic rear end in a top hat partner

I guess that wouldn't work if you wanted to go to Italy or something, but gently caress you if you're rich enough to take real vacations

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Weekends are my only vacations

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Weekends are my only vacations

I work Sundays too. :(

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I loving love working for the state. Planning vacations is trivially easy, and there isn't even an outside risk of it hurting my career advancement.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

mulls posted:

I loving love working for the state. Planning vacations is trivially easy, and there isn't even an outside risk of it hurting my career advancement.
Plus, now that they're loading food stamps onto debit cards, being poor isn't even embarrassing!

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 31, 2014

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Soothing Vapors posted:

Plus, now that they're loading food stamps onto debit cards, being poor isn't even embarrassing!

Buying all the fresh seafood.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Kalman posted:

At my firm, the longer the vacation, the better, from the perspective of the partners / planning folks. A month long vacation is much easier to arrange coverage for, and people take vacations that long pretty frequently. I've taken multiple vacations since starting 2.5 years ago, and it hasn't been an issue at all. There is always a risk that you will need to work on your vacation or that it could be canceled, but if you plan it in advance, let your clients know, arrange coverage and properly hand off your active matters, it's not a big deal.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Why is a longer vacation easier to arrange coverage for? Just because it's more of an imposition to mess with?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Kalman posted:

I disagree. They get pissy if you tell them "leaving for a month" the day before you do it.

This is a good read on how to do a serious vacation for professionals w/ real obligations: http://www.danah.org/EmailSabbatical.html

Arcturas posted:

Why is a longer vacation easier to arrange coverage for? Just because it's more of an imposition to mess with?

In my experience - because they just don't put you on the project, as opposed to trying to put you on for two weeks then having someone else cover for two weeks and then put you back on and make up lost ground.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Petey posted:

This is a good read on how to do a serious vacation for professionals w/ real obligations: http://www.danah.org/EmailSabbatical.html

In my experience - because they just don't put you on the project, as opposed to trying to put you on for two weeks then having someone else cover for two weeks and then put you back on and make up lost ground.

Yeah, boyd's summary is pretty good. The "delete all email" doesn't work for non-academics, but the key points (plan ahead, tell everyone ahead of time) are there.

And for larger scale projects that are going to run multiple years, unless that period is a critical one (expert reports, trial, etc.), then they'll still staff you on it, because you'll be around for the majority of the project. It's mostly that for a short vacation it's not really worth bringing someone new in, while if you're going to be gone for a month it's easier to justify. (Though usually the existing case staff will cover it while you're gone to the extent your role needs coverage.). I've definitely been staffed on things where the partners knew I'd be out on vacation before they brought me in - as long as you are clear about when you'll be gone, no one is going to get pissed. If you miss something, it'll be because a critical date is in the middle of your vacation, not because you're taking one. But critical dates don't show up that often, at least in litigation - lots of dead time to take your vacations in.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Arcturas posted:

It's more because it's not worth making the investment to bring someone new up to speed just for a few days; it's easier to make everyone else on the deal/case work a bit harder, and to have you continue to work while on vacation. At my firm, the policy is that coverage is always available if a vacation is a week or more; I don't know how standard that is.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
As a solo, you get all the unpaid vacation time you can handle!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm just returning from a week of paid vacation. I turned my emails off and told my secretary to text me if anyone was looking for me. But this is dead time in all my litigation, so no one probably noticed.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

woozle wuzzle posted:

As a solo, you get all the unpaid vacation time you can handle!

I take a vacation everyday from midnight to 6:30am!!! It's so nice to get away.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Roger_Mudd posted:

I take a vacation everyday from midnight to 6:30am!!! It's so nice to get away.

I think the way to be happy in Biglaw is to get a spouse and have kids and then think of every day as a relaxing vacation from your family

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Any advice for younger sibling that got average LSAT scores but seems set on the transfer to a better school plan?

I'm sort of trying to convince her to stick with her current paralegal job since it has a good environment and also room for promotion since the firm is expanding fairly well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

To take the LSAT again. If she can't improve that with studying what exactly does she think she'll improve on during her first year?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

To take the LSAT again. If she can't improve that with studying what exactly does she think she'll improve on during her first year?

She already tried taking it another time and even after taking one of those prep courses could only get a average score.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

etalian posted:

She already tried taking it another time and even after taking one of those prep courses could only get a average score.

If she can't get better with study and work, she probably shouldn't go to law school.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

etalian posted:

Any advice for younger sibling that got average LSAT scores but seems set on the transfer to a better school plan?

I'm sort of trying to convince her to stick with her current paralegal job since it has a good environment and also room for promotion since the firm is expanding fairly well.

Is her boyfriend pretending to be a lawyer?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
You should tell her to get Litt up.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

etalian posted:

transfer to a better school plan

The transfer up plan only works if she aces her first semester. In other words: she has to be a god-damned genius, which she isn't, so it won't.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

You should tell her to get Litt up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

etalian posted:

How does she think she's going to beat out the class of people who mostly were able to get the score she did with less work?

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
Personally, I think the LSAT is a predictor of nothing. Never once in law school or the practice of law did I have to figure out who would sit next to whom at a table. But schools need something to use to figure out who to let in. I had an average LSAT and graduated near the top of my class. Yes, you could argue I went to a TTT, but that's only because my score was lower. I was a good student and that wouldn't have changed at a better school, although I acknowledge the competition might have been better.

That said, I never took an LSAT course and just winged it. So if a person's score didn't change after taking a prep course, that might be cause for concern.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

quepasa18 posted:

Personally, I think the LSAT is a predictor of nothing.

At the risk of defending the LSAT, what the gently caress? It's not intended to test if you'll be a good student.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

There is a large possibly that she will go to law school, incur massive debt, graduate, be unable to find work, be over qualified for her old paralegal job, and wind up earning less money as a solo family law attorney than she did as a paralegal.

If that doesn't scare her, nothing will.

Oh, and the transfer plan doesn't work for most people. I believe the op says don't plan to transfer unless you're 100 percent okay with your starter school. My transfer plan failed, but i liked my starter school anyway.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 2, 2014

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
Two years ago I took the LSAT, got a pretty good score, and then thanks to you guys and your misery, used that just to make some cash as a tutor and get the hell out. So now I have a job that has nothing to do with law, and as such it exists and I don't hate doing it. You're doing the Lord's work in this thread.

bozwell
Feb 14, 2009

evilweasel posted:

How does she think she's going to beat out the class of people who mostly were able to get the score she did with less work?

To be fair, I don't think your success during law school is directly tied to your LSAT score. Final exams and your preparation for them is quite a bit different than LSAT prep. I know friends that barely scraped by in school yet they started with solid scholarships due to their LSAT scores.

That said, given the current job market for new attorneys, I'd be hesitant to look into law school unless you're looking at a good school with a reasonable scholarship (and you're willing to put in the effort to finish near the top of your class), and you're almost certainly not getting into a top school with a poor LSAT score. Even with a solid LSAT score it can be a big roll of the dice.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

etalian posted:

Tell her that only the top ~5% of students at the end of the first year have an opportunity to transfer up. Then describe how at any mediocre school, there will be a significant number of people who actually did well in college and have good LSAT scores, and are attending that school on a large scholarship. Ask her how she intends to beat out all these people who are demonstrably better students than she is.

Also, what's an "average" LSAT score to you? The actual "average" is around 150, and anyone scoring in that area after studying is in the "doomed from the start" category rather than the already unattractive "it's an absolute crapshoot" category.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bozwell posted:

To be fair, I don't think your success during law school is directly tied to your LSAT score. Final exams and your preparation for them is quite a bit different than LSAT prep. I know friends that barely scraped by in school yet they started with solid scholarships due to their LSAT scores.

That said, given the current job market for new attorneys, I'd be hesitant to look into law school unless you're looking at a good school with a reasonable scholarship (and you're willing to put in the effort to finish near the top of your class), and you're almost certainly not getting into a top school with a poor LSAT score. Even with a solid LSAT score it can be a big roll of the dice.

Yeah she's pretty much at the point thinking the massive amounts of debt is worth following the "dream" and seems to think the transfer idea is surefire plan given how a lawyer at her firm made it work.

bozwell
Feb 14, 2009

etalian posted:

Yeah she's pretty much at the point thinking the massive amounts of debt is worth following the "dream" and seems to think the transfer idea is surefire plan given how a lawyer at her firm made it work.

The problem is that for everyone that made it work, there's probably at least one person that it didn't work out so well for (probably more than 1:1). I graduated right after the economy tanked back in 2008 so I'm pretty familiar with graduating into a lovely job market. These days you're graduates are fighting a backlog of qualified graduates for the few good jobs that are out there and I know quite a few people that ended up with "lesser" jobs.

That said, I'm not all gloom and doom on legal careers. I like my job, I like my firm and I'm glad I went to law school (a full-ride scholarship helped). I just think it's important that people realize they need to try and stack the odds in their favor. High LSAT scores, top schools, big scholarships - all of these things will help out more in the long-run than you might think. If you're coming into it with the deck stacked against you, you'll be fighting an uphill battle even if you excel in law school and, with enough debt, even if you land your dream job. To give you an idea, I have a friend that ran up more tuition debt than I have in my mortgage and yet his job prospects are quite poor. He hung out his own shingle and earns enough to get by, but he's going to have a hell of a time paying down that debt at his current income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.