Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm apparently the only goon on the planet who hated the Intellimouse because there wasn't a non-stupid way for me to control the mouse and have easy access to both side butts, so I always ended up clicking them at lovely times. Also, the ones I used always ended up having busted-rear end side butts so they would be all mushy and too easy to click.

The usb cable broke in mine so it would connect and disconnect randomly. I haven't had that problem with a mouse since. It was cool moving to a mouse without a ball in it, though. It was a huge improvement from those lovely sun sparc ones at college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Is Zowie FK still the go to mouse for FPS gaming, specficially cs:go? Also is there anything wrong with the one on sale here, because its avaliable in Canada and on sale, both of which never happens.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

How do you guys manage to keep the same mouse for multiple years without getting bored of it, or finding something better?

Mouse is norwegian for pussy so this is funny to me. The word for computer mouse is also mouse so talking about mouse is always funny.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Selklubber posted:

Mouse is norwegian for pussy so this is funny to me. The word for computer mouse is also mouse so talking about mouse is always funny.

Are you sure its not Moose? :gangbang:

Peechka fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 24, 2014

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So I had a Logitech G602 for a couple months now. Pretty good performance on the batteries that came with it. But I just got a Corsair MM400, and gently caress if the thing doesn't work with it at all.

Maybe its the batteries? But it seems like the mouse goes into power saving mode in spots on the Corsair mat and just doesn't work, or stutters when it does. If I just use my laminate desk it works fine.

Charging up some AA batteries right now to check it, but gently caress I'm kinda mad that it doesn't work.

edit: oh hey moving the wireless receiver to the front of the computer (and closer to the mouse) helped!

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 23, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Cute n Popular posted:

Is Zowie FK still the go to mouse for FPS gaming, specficially cs:go? Also is there anything wrong with the one on sale here, because its avaliable in Canada and on sale, both of which never happens.
The FK is just ambidextrous, the EC1 eVo is the same top shelf equipment with a comfortable right-handed shape you may prefer.

Canadacomputers looks shady as hell and has bad customer feedback as well as suspiciously low prices, but it's literally the only Canadian Zowie vendor I could find and they shipped me my EC1 successfully. It had a large discount/rebate but ended up being $71 dollars after shipping and sales tax (I didn't cash in the rebate because it looked fake and/or unreliable, lol).

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I've been a CanadaComputers customer for 8 years, they aren't shady in the least. Handy for local purchases when you don't want to deal with shipping from NCIX/DirectCanada.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Well they sure as hell weren't local for me, with fewer shipping options than NCIX. They do have quite a few reviews alleging misconduct, so I'm loathe to wholeheartedly recommend them unconditionally. 8 years is a respectable stretch but it sounds like you live pretty near an outlet.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Well they sure as hell weren't local for me, with fewer shipping options than NCIX. They do have quite a few reviews alleging misconduct, so I'm loathe to wholeheartedly recommend them unconditionally. 8 years is a respectable stretch but it sounds like you live pretty near an outlet.

Ah, I guess the online experience could be totally different. I've been within a 10 minute drive of a retail location in the last 2 cities I've lived in so I view it as that neighbourhood PC builder haven.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
My M.M.O. 7 just died the same way my last Cyborg mouse did: scrolling, middle click, and vertical tracking breaking all at once just after the 1 year warranty. I think I'm done with Cyborg mice.

Best Buy(Canada) has the Logitech G700s on sale for 79.99 right now, so I ripped over there and picked one up. I'm liking this mouse so much more, even without customizable LEDs.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

HalloKitty posted:

AnandTech liked them.

Anecdotally, my girlfriend has the Kone Pure, and really likes it (coming from a Razer Imperator which started to.. surprise surprise, gently caress up. Christ, Razer..)

I know it's a post from three months back but I replaced my malfunctioning Razer Imperator with a Kone Pure as well. That was about a year ago and I never looked back. The Kone Pure is a quality product with top notch manufacturing quality and materials. I was playing Guild Wars 2 when I got the mouse so I took advantage of the shift-key functionality on one of the thumb buttons to bind a dozen additional functions. The configuration software is pretty good, although some people might be turned off by an angry German man growling into your ears whenever you change your DPI (can be turned off but shouldn't for an authentic Roccat experience!)

I never quite figured out if Roccat's marketing campaign is to be taken seriously or if it's a parody of the ridiculous buzzwords and patents every company that sells 'gamer' gear is guilty of (see Gunnar Optiks). I mean look at this (warning: LOUD)! "EASY-SHIFT[+]™ button-duplicating technology"? "Extend your atmospherics"? The whole thing comes off as a parody of Razer ads narrated by Geralt of Rivia!

Incidentally, NCIX currently has the Roccat Savu for $30. I ordered one to replace the terrible HP mouse I use at work and will post my impressions once I receive it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Pretty set on the Logitech G602. How are you guys liking it?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Christoff posted:

Pretty set on the Logitech G602. How are you guys liking it?

Love it. Seems like I finally found a worthy replacement to my MX Revolution. Just took a year.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for the reply. Seemed it solved a lot of the issues wireless mice before had. Battery, response, etc. It's about $60 now which isn't TOO bad. God knows I wasn't going to fork over the cash for that crazy R.A.T 7 or 9 or whatever it was. My only concern is the feel of the thumb buttons. I feel it's a bit overkill what they have but hey!I use the poo poo out of back/forward, though. How are you liking and using the thumb buttons?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Christoff posted:

Thanks for the reply. Seemed it solved a lot of the issues wireless mice before had. Battery, response, etc. It's about $60 now which isn't TOO bad. God knows I wasn't going to fork over the cash for that crazy R.A.T 7 or 9 or whatever it was. My only concern is the feel of the thumb buttons. I feel it's a bit overkill what they have but hey!I use the poo poo out of back/forward, though. How are you liking and using the thumb buttons?

Not sure I can give a good opinion on the thumb buttons as I don't tend to use them much. Best I can tell you is that I never hit them accidentally, I just tend to forget they're there. For me the feel in the hand is great though.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Christoff posted:

How are you liking and using the thumb buttons?

It took a bit of getting used to the location of the forward/back buttons out of the six, but now it's pretty natural. I haven't really gotten in the habit of using the other extra buttons much, but they're nice to have when I do.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I recently got a G700s, great mouse and all, but there's one little issue. When I use horizontal scrolling, it just snaps all the way to the side rather than, well, scrolling. It's not something that comes up all the time, but it's pretty irritating when it does! I've tried a few different things to fix it, with no success, so I'm hoping someone has an idea. My gut feeling says its a software issue.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Peanut3141 posted:

Love it. Seems like I finally found a worthy replacement to my MX Revolution. Just took a year.

Would you suggest it for a FPS mouse? It seems kind of over-buttony... I'm interested in replacing my MX518 with something better, but not sure what that might be. I don't really care about wires, as my mouse pad has a wire clip that makes it pretty unnoticeable. But if I could find something with a few more useful buttons, wireless, and as accurate and nice as the MX518 I could be convinced.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Would you suggest it for a FPS mouse? It seems kind of over-buttony... I'm interested in replacing my MX518 with something better, but not sure what that might be. I don't really care about wires, as my mouse pad has a wire clip that makes it pretty unnoticeable. But if I could find something with a few more useful buttons, wireless, and as accurate and nice as the MX518 I could be convinced.

I don't really do FPSs, the closest I come is Bioshock and Mass Effect, where it worked for me just fine. All I can say is it feels really good in my hand, very similar to the Revolution and it tracks exactly where I expect it to when I move the mouse.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

ShaneB posted:

I and a couple other fps goons really notice the wireless latency and lack of very fine dpi adjustment on the 602. If there were a wired/wireless model that had smaller dpi adjust increments I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The shape of the 602, wheel, overall build quality and button placement are fantastic, but the latency and dpi kill it for me.

If you're just talking casual fps gaming it'll be fine but for competitive stuff you'll notice it, especially if you're coming from another high end mouse.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does the latency only show up with lots of other 2.4GHz noise around? I've never noticed it on my G700.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Aren't fine DPI adjustments a bad idea anyway?

My understanding is that a given sensor has a few "native" resolutions and the way that in-between resolutions are achieved is by ignoring some percentage of counts. So when you set your 1600dpi sensor to "1400dpi" it just ignores an eighth of the counts, meaning that there is some distance that you move where it counts two changes but only transmits one of them.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I came here to ask about the 602's fps performance, looks like its already been answered though. If the latency is noticeable by some, I likely would be in that group. A shame too since it looks like its a well designed mouse.

My 700's right mouse button switch (or spring) is wearing out. I guess I'll get a 700s. I've really gotten used to the thumb buttons, for web browsing, and in FPS's recently so I really don't want to give those up. I'm not a fan of wireless in general but I really don't like wires either.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

YMMV. I seem to recall somebody saying earlier that they perceived less lag in the G602 than with the G700.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

kaschei posted:

Aren't fine DPI adjustments a bad idea anyway?

My understanding is that a given sensor has a few "native" resolutions and the way that in-between resolutions are achieved is by ignoring some percentage of counts. So when you set your 1600dpi sensor to "1400dpi" it just ignores an eighth of the counts, meaning that there is some distance that you move where it counts two changes but only transmits one of them.

If this is true then I'd love to know what the 'native' resolutions are in the 602 so I can stick to them.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

If this is true then I'd love to know what the 'native' resolutions are in the 602 so I can stick to them.
From what I can find the G602 has the same sensor as the G100s which according to some guy on TeamLiquid has native dpis that are multiples of 250 between 250 and 2500.

That guy claims his "information comes directly from CPate who works for Logitech" but I can't find anything straight from the source.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kaschei posted:

From what I can find the G602 has the same sensor as the G100s which according to some guy on TeamLiquid has native dpis that are multiples of 250 between 250 and 2500.

That guy claims his "information comes directly from CPate who works for Logitech" but I can't find anything straight from the source.

quote:

The G602 steps from 250 and up. If, like me, you're not interested in installing any settings software, the default steps are 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500. For reference, I’ve been running mine at 500 with a Windows sensitivity of 6/11 and raw 1.0 sensitivity in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
.../
:spergin:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I didn't know that about incremental DPI resolutions. Does anyone have the same information for the G700? (Not the G700s, though enough people on this thread have the latter and might care about that too.)

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

I didn't know that about incremental DPI resolutions. Does anyone have the same information for the G700? (Not the G700s, though enough people on this thread have the latter and might care about that too.)
G700 uses the Avago 9500, according to whose datasheet the steps are 22.5CPI, but according to the same datasheet the register settings used to control the resolution have "approximately" 90cpi granularity. And then in an example calculation it appears to say that 5040 ≃ 5670.

The G700s is said to use a S9808 sensor. Assuming that this has the same relevant specs as the 9800 it has steps of 50cpi.

I'm guessing that this (very fine CPI adjustment) is one of the hidden advantages of laser mice, but maybe there's just something else I don't know going on, and there's clearly something weird going on given the 22.5 step size claim versus the granularity of the microcontroller settings in the G700.

It probably only came to my attention because the mouse I'm using only has two native resolutions (1800 and 3600). But lots of high-end mice use the same sensor, and some people are used to 800/1600/3200 and think that if the manufacturer's software lets them change the dpi to those values it will be just like old times.

It's worth also mentioning that exactly halving the native CPI produces no real side-effects so ultra low resolution players can use 900 (or even 450) CPI if they prefer. When you halve CPI, whether natively or by ignoring every other count, you get the same kinds of behavior.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

kaschei posted:

For the record, CPate is me. And I'm right.

Any value from 250-2500 in steps of 250 is native on G602. If you don't like any of the default settings, you can change them with LGS then uninstall it and it will still be a sensor-native setting.

In the case of G100s, you have to run the software to set the sensor to one of those registers, because it doesn't have onboard memory to store to. But the non-default 250 CPI steps in LGS are still native.

Goo fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 1, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Jan posted:

It took a bit of getting used to the location of the forward/back buttons out of the six, but now it's pretty natural. I haven't really gotten in the habit of using the other extra buttons much, but they're nice to have when I do.

Peanut3141 posted:

Not sure I can give a good opinion on the thumb buttons as I don't tend to use them much. Best I can tell you is that I never hit them accidentally, I just tend to forget they're there. For me the feel in the hand is great though.

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty much set on the mouse but was worried about the thumb buttons. Not sure if I'll use anything but back/forward but hey they're there!

Thanks again and hopefully it helps other people curious about the 602

I had no idea about this incremental DPI or w/e borderline :spergin: stuff. I doubt I'd notice a difference. Alas, increments of 250 for me!

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 1, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I haven't been to this thread in a while but I just wanted to stop in and ask something if that's alright.

If anybody here has connections with Logitech, would you please tell the LeeTzzzz GAmeRzZzzZzz who must be running that company to stop ruining every decent, professional quality product they have (specifically the G400 mouse) with embarrassing totally rad edgy graphics that look like they came straight out of TRON if TRON was made in the 90s and thus impossible to use in any professional environment aka anywhere that's not a blacklight lit goon basement please.

Thank you!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 1, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

I haven't been to this thread in a while but I just wanted to stop in and ask something if that's alright.

If anybody here has connections with Logitech, would you please tell the LeeTzzzz GAmeRzZzzZzz who must be running that company to stop ruining every decent, professional quality product they have (specifically the G400 mouse) with embarrassing totally rad edgy graphics that look like they came straight out of TRON if TRON was made in the 90s and thus impossible to use in any professional environment aka anywhere that's not a blacklight lit goon basement please.

Thank you!

Goo frequents this thread and is pretty receptive to feedback on their products. I completely agree with this opinion as well. I travel for work, and game occasionally in the hotel. I don't really need my mouse to scream "Look at me!". One of the reasons I like my G700 is that is passes in a conservative, corporate environment. One of the reasons I've hesitated on the G602 (in spite of the better battery life, which I as a traveler would really appreciate) is the childish branding.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Ynglaur posted:

Goo frequents this thread and is pretty receptive to feedback on their products. I completely agree with this opinion as well. I travel for work, and game occasionally in the hotel. I don't really need my mouse to scream "Look at me!". One of the reasons I like my G700 is that is passes in a conservative, corporate environment. One of the reasons I've hesitated on the G602 (in spite of the better battery life, which I as a traveler would really appreciate) is the childish branding.

The G602 is relatively muted compared to the blue monsters. It's silver and grey. I do wish they wouldn't market them as purely gaming devices, I had to reason quite hard with my boss as to why it was worth the extra for the G710+, when in fact it was the cheapest mechanical keyboard available at the time.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Logitech's quality and design functionality, but from a business perspective, I cannot imagine anything but the crappiest of products, which Logitech products are not, benefitting from these ridiculous nerd racing stripes but I can easily see people shying away from them due to their looks.

If I had to guess, I'd assume the crazy graphics probably lose them many sales while gaining them approximately zero. Anybody who is going to spend that much on a mouse or keyboard is going to to it for the quality, so the looks don't matter unless they're particularly juvenile and kitschy, like in this case.

Basically they're selling Ferraris, but refusing not to paint "I heart fedoras+jorts and am a child" painted on the sides. :iiaca:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 1, 2014

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I think my Sidewinder X8 may have finally given up the ghost. I'm gonna open it up and see if I can get the charge contacts working again when I get home, but I've heard that fix is hit-or-miss. Is there anything decent out there shaped/weighted like it, or better yet like a heftier Intellimouse Optical? Preferably with a similar thumb-button arrangement to the Sidewinder's, the up/down is a hell of a lot easier to use than side-by-side along the length of the mouse.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I understand your concerns and do what I can to mute the designs.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Goo posted:

I understand your concerns and do what I can to mute the designs.

My god, I'd love to see the first draft rice-rocket graphic designs.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

o muerte posted:

My god, I'd love to see the first draft rice-rocket graphic designs.

I've been pretty much using Logitech mice of the same design since the MX500/700 first came out and I've loved them, but I've long accepted (since the MX510) that they just seem to love those non-uniform textures of questionable aesthetic taste that will then look even worse after some use and wear.

The second version of the G5 (with two thumb buttons) is probably my favorite mouse ever, but after like 5 years of use that cracked earth texture pretty much looks like crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I remember the mouse I had before this G700 looked like "dented metal" or something really terrible. I bet if they just made a black version of all their mice that would outsell the rest