Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm confused. How did he discard turn 1 on the play, and how did he play a 2-mana spell on turn 2 if he didn't play a land turn 1?

Simian/Elvish Spirit Guide, Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm confused. How did he discard turn 1 on the play, and how did he play a 2-mana spell on turn 2 if he didn't play a land turn 1?

I'm an idiot and meant to say on the DRAW. And he had a Ritual as well.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

BXCX posted:

I look forward to paying off my student loans with this Merfolk Deck :smithicide:

With the spike in the last year on Legacy staples I was sorely tempted to sell ~half my cards to pay tuition, rent and food for this semester...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BXCX posted:

I for one think the MTG finance movement has it right, prices can only go up uP UP from here with no end in sight. I know this to be a fact in large part due to my prior experiences speculating on mass produced-collectible items.

[Posting from my throne built from the finest 90's variant cover comics, Marvel trading cards, and Beanie Babies]

Literally The Worst posted:

I paid for college with mint copies of Spawn #1.

BXCX posted:

I look forward to paying off my student loans with this Merfolk Deck :smithicide:

I find it funny how you guys make jokes, but a couple weeks ago someone found some old sealed boxes in his closet at his parents and guess what he got like $17,000. He posted in the buy/sell/trade thread in the SA forums. That poo poo happens man.

I'm probably going to sell like 12 cards I bought earlier this year in May or June and use the money for our family vacation.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I don't normally buy expensive cards ... but this one was toooooo pretty.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
My friend and I are both seriously considering selling the legacy decks we built at the end of last year because we'd easily double up from what we paid.

I really don't want to because I love the deck but that's a LOT of money I could have in my pocket.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

En Fuego posted:

I don't normally buy expensive cards ... but this one was toooooo pretty.

Can't blame you there. I'm jealous, that's been on my list of "I really want this, but do I really NEED this...." cards for a while.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So I'm going down a list of things to pick up for Modern Fish, I'm basically building from the ground up because the only things for the deck I do have is a playset of Aether Vials, a Master of the Pearl Trident and my Master of Waves from my Mono U deck.

What's probably the best thing to grab now and not later? My guess is the Cavern of Souls and Cursecatchers?

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Count Bleck posted:

So I'm going down a list of things to pick up for Modern Fish, I'm basically building from the ground up because the only things for the deck I do have is a playset of Aether Vials, a Master of the Pearl Trident and my Master of Waves from my Mono U deck.

What's probably the best thing to grab now and not later? My guess is the Cavern of Souls and Cursecatchers?

Holy poo poo Cursecatcher is almost 12 dollars?!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MrBling posted:

It's almost as if the comic book market and the CCG market has a crossover of stupid people with way too much money to spent on useless poo poo.

I was being facetious, Spawn #1 is borderline worthless now. There's a handful of modern books worth money (ie Walking Dead) and it's easy to figure out why (for Walking Dead, the first twenty issues had incredibly tiny print runs because it was before the zombie craze really took off), and there's a handful more that only hold value because of a really dumb bubble that's going to pop in five years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I had a crazy idea to build a Vorel EDH with as many counter-producing mechanics as possible; Graft, Infect, Proliferate, Persist, Evolve, the works. However I didn't play when any of those mechanics were in print so while I can get lists for magiccards.info with UG cards for the deck, I have no idea what's good. Any cards with those mechanics that you all remember fondly?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jassi007 posted:

I find it funny how you guys make jokes, but a couple weeks ago someone found some old sealed boxes in his closet at his parents and guess what he got like $17,000. He posted in the buy/sell/trade thread in the SA forums. That poo poo happens man.

I'm probably going to sell like 12 cards I bought earlier this year in May or June and use the money for our family vacation.

Thoes stories are very much the exception to the rule, though, partly because everyone hears those stories and then tries to sell me their big box of Witchblade expecting it to be worth money.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

C-Euro posted:

I had a crazy idea to build a Vorel EDH with as many counter-producing mechanics as possible; Graft, Infect, Proliferate, Persist, Evolve, the works. However I didn't play when any of those mechanics were in print so while I can get lists for magiccards.info with UG cards for the deck, I have no idea what's good. Any cards with those mechanics that you all remember fondly?

Graft and Proliferate were generally bad, infect is sort of a super dumb alt victory in that sort of deck, Evolve and undying had like 1 good card each (E1 and Geist), Persist didn't have any notable cards in that color combo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Toshimo posted:

Persist didn't have any notable cards in that color combo.

Woodfall Primus? And Gilder Bairn is the stupidest card in those colors.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

suicidesteve posted:

Woodfall Primus? And Gilder Bairn is the stupidest card in those colors.

Woodfall Primus is a lot less interesting when you are paying more than 2 mana for it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FordCQC posted:

Holy poo poo Cursecatcher is almost 12 dollars?!

Cursecatcher - A worse Judge's Familiar @ 26x the price.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

I want to do something similar, but my goal was to somehow include EVERY distinct type of counter possible in the history of the game: Filibuster, Muster, etc. I would need to buy a sack of as many different d6 as possible to mark them all.

Not saying it will be GOOD, but it would be funny.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Its creature type is very relevant.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Cursecatcher, a better Judge's Familiar because merfolk are awesome.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The owl looks cooler though.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I don't run Cavern of Souls in Modern Merfolk. Some people run it, some don't. The only lands you absolutely need are the Islands and 4 Mutavaults. If you already have those in Standard, just hold onto them and you're in good shape. If you don't have them yet and can wait until rotation, they'll probably drop in price around that time (and spike back up a few months later). If you really want the Caverns, I agree that you should get them earlier rather than later, they'll probably climb steadily in price for a while.

I like running 3-4 Cursecatchers in the deck, but some people are going with zero now and running 4 Phantasmal Image. There's some merit to both approaches.

The cards you absolutely need:
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
4 Silvergill Adept
2-4 Merrow Reejerey

I don't expect any of these cards to spike unless Merfolk suddenly becomes much more popular than it is now. But they'll probably never go down in price, so if you can get them, go for it.

You also need 4 Spreading Seas, but that's a 25-cent card.

I suggest getting some number of Phantasmal Image and Kira, Great Glass-Spinner for the deck. Both could spike in price, particularly Image, so don't wait on them. Tidebinder Mage is also good to have. Again, if you have them for Standard, you're set, and even if you don't they're very cheap already.

AlternateNu posted:

I get what you're saying, but this is as clear a case as any that creature type can be extremely relevant. Cursecatcher is rarely actually a 1/1 in the deck that plays it. It's like saying Wild Nacatl is bad because it's only a 1/1 in mono-green aggro.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

C-Euro posted:

Proliferate: Contagion Engine and Viral Drake

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

For what I play in my Vorel EDH, evolve had Experiment One, Gyre Sage, and Fathom Mage. Graft has Llanowar Reborn and Vigean Graftmage. Proliferate has Contagion Clasp, Fuel for the Cause, Tezzeret's Gambit, Thrummingbird, Viral Drake, Contagion Engine and Inexorable Tide. Persist has Glen Elendra Archmage and Woodfall Primus.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlternateNu posted:

If it was worse, it wouldn't be 26x the price.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Finally got the last of the cards for my Esper Control deck. Going to be heading to my LGS tonight to do some playtesting (read: get my face smashed) to learn this deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Cursecatcher has a relevant tribe. Cursecatcher can block pro-white creatures.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 1, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

Cursecatcher can counter creature, enchantment, artifact, and planeswalker spells while Judge's Familiar cannot.

You might want to reread Cursecatcher.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

Cursecatchers and Silvergill Adepts are much more expensive than any of the rares you need to get. Get those first unless you think MMA2 will have them.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

You might want to reread Cursecatcher.

Whatever man, it's still better than Judge's Familiar :colbert:.

It can't be killed by plummet, there.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Birds of Paradise. :shobon:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uggy posted:

wild mongrel

I loving love Mongrel, but Arc-Slogger is the best card that ever has or will be printed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Did I juat have a seizure or are you guys quoting a 182 page old post?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Your right, drat thats impressive. Besides we all know that everyone's pet card should be winter orb, right.

edit-mine is actually ponder as I mentioned way long ago, Winter Orb is the comedy "suck the fun out of the game" option.

edit for truth- I actually love unfun cards like winter orb and stasis, I am a bad person.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 1, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

uggy posted:

wild mongrel

Probably Dark Ritual. It was one of the first cards I ever played with, definitely the first singles I ever bought (and was outraged at the time to be paying a DOLLAR for each card!), and I collect as many copies as I can find.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

uggy posted:

wild mongrel

Judge's Familiar

Best pet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

Cursecatcher has a relevant tribe. Cursecatcher can block pro-white creatures.

Can't even begin to tell you how many times I kicked myself for running Judge's Familiar and I am dying to Defender of Chaos all "why didn't I run Curscatcher instead?"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Toshimo posted:

There's a certain purity of essence to it. Like, this thread just wheels around the same six or seven topics between spoiler seasons anyway. Why not literally quote a weeks-old post to begin the cycle anew?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Toshimo posted:

Woodfall Primus is a lot less interesting when you are paying more than 2 mana for it.

It's commander; if he doesn't have 8 mana by turn 4, he's not playing green.

Edit: also to really get into the spirit of things, play Melira and Greater Good with it. Just make sure you have one of the big Eldrazi so you don't deck yourself. Master Biomancer is actually probably better than Melira because it has other uses. There's all kinds of fun things you can do; Glen Elandra Archmage is a permanent U:Negate.

Edit 2: vvvvv sorry, I forgot there was a commander that read 8: win the game. I always thought the idea was to play cards that win you the game.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 1, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Can't even begin to tell you how many times I kicked myself for running Judge's Familiar and I am dying to Defender of Chaos all "why didn't I run Curscatcher instead?"

Dude I mean I run into problems where my Cursecatcher can't chump Emrakul on the time! Let's trade opponents!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

suicidesteve posted:

It's commander; if he doesn't have 8 mana by turn 4, he's not playing green.

If you have 8 mana, win the game. Don't play dumb durdly poo poo. HtH.

• Locked thread