Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

And here I thought car salesmen were swell guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

Applied for a job at a car dealership, filled out probably a page of info on their website (just who I am). They sent me an e-mail, said Mr. Manager would be calling me, sure enough Mr. Manager called me the next day, "Come on down Monday at 10AM to fill out an application. *click*" So, I go there to fill out a massive 10 page application, including the 300 questions about how lazy you are and other poo poo. I fill out this big pile of paper work, he comes over to collect the papers, doesn't even look at them and says "Thanks for coming in, we're not hiring." Drops the papers in a trash can right in front of me.

Seriously??? gently caress that poo poo. I never have had a compelling desire to buy a Honda and if I do ever want to buy a Honda I know where not to go. On the bright side, I am going in for an interview at Target tomorrow, and eventually the local plumber/pipe fitters union will interview me. Plumbers union only wants a 30% on the entry test, I scored 90% but I'm certain nepotism will kick-in and I won't get in. While I was testing, another kid failed the test that day, he started yelling at the test administrator (who is not part of the union) about how his boss is on the selection committee.

I'm going to read this whenever I have a bad day.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Rejection e-mail from last interview received, but at least they talked to me. That said, I had an odd question on an interview/application today: "How would you handle a customer who does not want to talk to you?"

For my answer, I said I would greet a customer, ask if I could help them when they walked in. At that point, if it appeared they did not want to talk, I would say "let me know if you need help" and let them shop in peace. I wouldnot try to constantly engage them because this would be annoying and make them want to leave.

I doubt my answer is the best, what should I have wrote down? This was for a retail, non-comission based job.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I doubt my answer is the best, what should I have wrote down? This was for a retail, non-comission based job.

I'm going to go ahead and guess the answer is something really, really stupid.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
No, his answer is good. The bad answer would be to say that you'd "leave them alone." You might also say that you would tell them your name and then stay in their general vicinity in case they did need help.

edit: Similar situation, I know of a company that used to ask its retail employees something along the lines of "If you noticed $10 was missing from your paycheck, would you take that money from the cash register?" Obvious answer is no, but the "correct" answer is "I'd talk to my boss about why the money was missing."

Xandu fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 25, 2014

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I agree that isn't a bad answer, and I don't think it would have hurt the interview.

As an aside, in case anyone gets it again, you can also use something along the lines of

"I've had that happen before. A couple came in and when I walked over they let me know they weren't interested in my help. They already knew what they needed and where it was.

I made sure they knew my name and told them I'm always available for questions if they come up. I also told them where they could find me and let them know we appreciated their visit.

They really appreciated the way I approached the situation, and the next time they came in they asked for me by name. I felt really good about being remembered, and now I share that experience as a best practice."

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Your answer is a good answer if you're talking to a normal human being. Who the hell knows what the interviewer had in mind.

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

I agree that isn't a bad answer, and I don't think it would have hurt the interview.

As an aside, in case anyone gets it again, you can also use something along the lines of

"I've had that happen before. A couple came in and when I walked over they let me know they weren't interested in my help. They already knew what they needed and where it was.

I made sure they knew my name and told them I'm always available for questions if they come up. I also told them where they could find me and let them know we appreciated their visit.

They really appreciated the way I approached the situation, and the next time they came in they asked for me by name. I felt really good about being remembered, and now I share that experience as a best practice."

Unless that didn't actually happen of course.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I know what the interviewer wanted and that's why I said that tbqh.

You're right though, if it didn't happen don't lie about it. Do it today and hooray you won't be lying.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I know what the interviewer wanted and that's why I said that tbqh.

You're right though, if it didn't happen don't lie about it. Do it today and hooray you won't be lying.

Ah! But the key to good interviewing is being able to quickly identify things that DID happen and relate them to the question. Sometimes the question is a perfect match for something that happened or that you did but other times you just need to weave it together in a way that shows that you understood the question and are relating it to your life and work. As someone who has conducted many interviews it's really exciting when you ask someone a question and they get it and relate something meaningful and applicable back to you, even if it's not a 100% match. But it shows that they're thoughtful and take their responsibilities seriously enough to reflect on them.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I agree to a point.

It's minimum expectations when people weave things and show that they really understand the question and can relate an experience to it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think more than a handful of interviewers do anything but root for each applicant until they prove themselves wrong for the job (if for nothing else, to fill the role as fast as possible).

It's far better when a person researches exactly what the role is looking for, makes sure to spend time practicing the times they are going to talk about at their current job, and just levels the competition by speaking to the actual experience that proves them the best candidate.

By and large, interviews are a thing you can walk out of knowing you have the job. The problem, time and time again, is that people "wing" them. They don't practice, and if they do, they don't research how to practice in a structured and consistent manner. Drives me insane! "Good enough" and "better than" are frustratingly weak ways to look at your own potential future, and I seriously cannot find it in me to pat someone on the back for what is, essentially, just "not screwing up."

It's not the 80's, you don't need to get lucky in who you know or what books your local library has in order to find out the best methods of doing things nowadays. Also, I just want to be clear that this isn't aimed at anyone at all in this thread--only at the idea that I challenge the notion that an interviewer should ever be (or that any ever really are) excited that someone is able to simply relate something meaningful to a question. At best, that's meeting the bare minimum expectations--as anything less is failure by definition.

I gave a seminar last week, and it was really eye opening for a lot of people to understand what a minimum expectation in interviewing was. I never get used to the fact that people simply don't think of googling "interview guide" (look at the second hit's pdf for God's sake).

I have no idea why that bothered me so much, but have a bunch of disproportionately aggressive words about it anyway I guess.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I agree to a point.

It's minimum expectations when people weave things and show that they really understand the question and can relate an experience to it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think more than a handful of interviewers do anything but root for each applicant until they prove themselves wrong for the job (if for nothing else, to fill the role as fast as possible).

It's far better when a person researches exactly what the role is looking for, makes sure to spend time practicing the times they are going to talk about at their current job, and just levels the competition by speaking to the actual experience that proves them the best candidate.

By and large, interviews are a thing you can walk out of knowing you have the job. The problem, time and time again, is that people "wing" them. They don't practice, and if they do, they don't research how to practice in a structured and consistent manner. Drives me insane! "Good enough" and "better than" are frustratingly weak ways to look at your own potential future, and I seriously cannot find it in me to pat someone on the back for what is, essentially, just "not screwing up."

It's not the 80's, you don't need to get lucky in who you know or what books your local library has in order to find out the best methods of doing things nowadays. Also, I just want to be clear that this isn't aimed at anyone at all in this thread--only at the idea that I challenge the notion that an interviewer should ever be (or that any ever really are) excited that someone is able to simply relate something meaningful to a question. At best, that's meeting the bare minimum expectations--as anything less is failure by definition.

I gave a seminar last week, and it was really eye opening for a lot of people to understand what a minimum expectation in interviewing was. I never get used to the fact that people simply don't think of googling "interview guide" (look at the second hit's pdf for God's sake).

I have no idea why that bothered me so much, but have a bunch of disproportionately aggressive words about it anyway I guess.

I agree with all this. I might have phrased my post a little weirdly. I was interviewing a lot of inexperienced folks so the bar might have been a little lower. Also I was interviewing almost exclusively for contractor roles so the agencies would often ill-prepare them and it wasn't a top hiring market location so it wasn't always the best and the brightest (although I stand behind everyone I actually hired 100%). But boy did I see some idiots and weirdos as well. a mega thread on weird poo poo interviewees say and do would be eye opening, if a little cruel.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

corkskroo posted:

I agree with all this. I might have phrased my post a little weirdly. I was interviewing a lot of inexperienced folks so the bar might have been a little lower. Also I was interviewing almost exclusively for contractor roles so the agencies would often ill-prepare them and it wasn't a top hiring market location so it wasn't always the best and the brightest (although I stand behind everyone I actually hired 100%). But boy did I see some idiots and weirdos as well. a mega thread on weird poo poo interviewees say and do would be eye opening, if a little cruel.

I would read that thread and relish every post.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

I agree to a point.

I just went through a process where I didn't get a job I'd applied for because I was too detailed in my answers to a number of questions I was asked. The job was for the Australian public service, and they asked a couple of questions about examples where I'd worked on law reform projects, and how I'd negotiated with stakeholders. I knew the question was going to come up (because it always does) so I put together what I thought was a good answer that went into detail about what I'd done, the skills I acquired, and how it could help with their current projects.

When I didn't get the job, the feedback I got from interview was that I went into too much detail on this portion of the interview.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'd add that a key part of preparation is being able to summarise your answers and boil down to the key points.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My first job interview I had some hypothetical business case as part of the interview and spoke for ~20 minutes on SE Asian outsourcing. It would have been great if the job had anything at all to do with SE asian or if I had also gone into depth about other things to show I'm smart in general. But I ran short on time and never got around to my other points. So I seemed like a dude really up something unimportant for the job at hand and didn't get the position.

In that spirit, I would love to read stories of truly terrible interviews.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I interviewed for a job as a black jack dealer about 10 years ago; hosed up basic mental math during the interview ("What's 1.5 time $25?")

Didn't get the job. That was my worst interview ever, but then I only had about 6 or 7 in my life.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I work from some giant corporation right now, and I feel like when I interview elsewhere, people project their own fears about me based on working there. I thought this was just some bizarre thing and I was crazy, but a coworker was telling me he had the same problem. To give you an idea, I was phone screening one afternoon with one place, and they expressed concerns that because I work at [giant corporation], I may not be happy or able to handle the fast pace of a small company. The next morning, I'm on another phone interview, and somebody is expressing concerns that because I work for [giant corporation], I would get bored with the slow pace of their company. My coworker got interviewed with a startup that was absolutely ecstatic about having him one day, then the next day they reject him saying that because he worked at [giant corporation], he wouldn't be able to handle the change in their startup. The thing is the stuff in [giant corporation] is a giant multitasking clusterfuck where the rules are perpetually changing. He would have been absolutely fine. I remember him paraphrasing his initial impression as, "Wait, you want me to work on only one thing? That's fantastic!"

I'm wondering how I can grab that bull by the horns before it even comes up. I feel like trying to put something on my resume about it will be awkward, but I feel like it needs to get addressed extremely early in the process--before anybody has a chance to form a bias.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a phone interview with a big travel agency a week after next and I am starting to prepare for it now. Like it says in the first post of this thread, I will have the job description right in front of me next to the Q&A's to most common interview questions. Does anyone here have any other advice besides being positive, dressing well even though it is a phone interview, being confident / prepared, and knowing the company inside & out?

I've been looking for a job for the last 10 months and so I am really going to give it all to be 100% ready for this. I have had a few phone interviews in the past and I gained valuable insight from them and will be a lot more experienced when I have this interview.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I work from some giant corporation right now, and I feel like when I interview elsewhere, people project their own fears about me based on working there. I thought this was just some bizarre thing and I was crazy, but a coworker was telling me he had the same problem. To give you an idea, I was phone screening one afternoon with one place, and they expressed concerns that because I work at [giant corporation], I may not be happy or able to handle the fast pace of a small company. The next morning, I'm on another phone interview, and somebody is expressing concerns that because I work for [giant corporation], I would get bored with the slow pace of their company. My coworker got interviewed with a startup that was absolutely ecstatic about having him one day, then the next day they reject him saying that because he worked at [giant corporation], he wouldn't be able to handle the change in their startup. The thing is the stuff in [giant corporation] is a giant multitasking clusterfuck where the rules are perpetually changing. He would have been absolutely fine. I remember him paraphrasing his initial impression as, "Wait, you want me to work on only one thing? That's fantastic!"

I'm wondering how I can grab that bull by the horns before it even comes up. I feel like trying to put something on my resume about it will be awkward, but I feel like it needs to get addressed extremely early in the process--before anybody has a chance to form a bias.

If you are concerned you are going to fight a perception battle based on your current employer, think of as many sales pitch reasons as why it's a positive thing to hire you because of this experience. Examples:

Going from big to small:

- You are looking to have a bigger personal impact on a smaller company.
- You spend way too much of your time managing the overhead of process at Big Company X and you are excited to be in a more agile and dynamic environment with a bigger focus on results.
- You believe the best days of growth at Big Company X are over, and you want to be part of something that has a chance at growing.
- You have experience from a bigger environment, and can bring what worked from that environment to a small one.
- You have decided that now is the time in your career to be taking calculated risks, rather than settling on stability.

Going from small to big:

- You are looking for a more structured/professional environment
- You want to specialize and excel in your field
- You believe Big Company X is the best in the field, and you are excited to be a part of it.
- You want the stability of a larger company.

Prejudice against certain companies and their culture is a very real bias to work around in interviews. I know because I've held it against specific companies when I was interviewing candidates from there.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.
I've just finished the 2014 graduate recruitment interviewing at our firm.

One big tip. When you are writing a 1 page cover letter:

1. Cut it so it fits on a page with paragraphs and with proper margins.

2. Make it about us - not just you saying how great you are; but link you to the firm you are applying for-> Essentially I did this because I like / and learnt that, which fits with you here etc....

3. When you are done read it and pretend the firm you are applying for (in my case M&A investment banking) did something else (eg accounting / audit / trading / brokerage). If your covering letter still works then you hosed it up and should start over.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

I have a phone interview with a big travel agency a week after next and I am starting to prepare for it now. Like it says in the first post of this thread, I will have the job description right in front of me next to the Q&A's to most common interview questions. Does anyone here have any other advice besides being positive, dressing well even though it is a phone interview, being confident / prepared, and knowing the company inside & out?

I've been looking for a job for the last 10 months and so I am really going to give it all to be 100% ready for this. I have had a few phone interviews in the past and I gained valuable insight from them and will be a lot more experienced when I have this interview.

Smile (it comes through in your voice) and address a point on the wall across from you as if the interviewer is sitting there, so you're not talking down at your notes and breathing into the phone.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Giant Goats posted:

Smile (it comes through in your voice) and address a point on the wall across from you as if the interviewer is sitting there, so you're not talking down at your notes and breathing into the phone.

Good advice. I was planning on putting my resume & notes on the wall in front of me so I'm forced to stand while I speak to the person interviewing me.

The recruiter emailed me last Thursday (April 3rd) and asked me for my availability for next week. Since I'm unemployed my schedule is pretty flexible so I told him anytime after 9:30 AM works... I was reading a site where they said open availability like that does not look good since it shows that I'm not doing anything. I still haven't heard from the recruiter to confirm a time but I'm hoping he contacts me tomorrow :x

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

EgonSpengler posted:

If you are concerned you are going to fight a perception battle based on your current employer, think of as many sales pitch reasons as why it's a positive thing to hire you because of this experience. Examples:
I have plenty of good reasons for speaking against different terms either way. What I'm wondering about is how to handle some of these prejudices if it doesn't come up in the interview at a point where I can sway their opinion. It looks like with my friend, he got hosed by it afterwards and he didn't hear about it until they were rejecting him. So I guess I wonder if there are ways to be assertive about it and make sure it's not an issue that don't involve just bluntly spelling it out both in the resume and in the interview.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You can't specifically counter the perception that "big companies are [insert x here]" if it doesn't come up in the interview because you don't know exactly what their perceptions are, and as you said, people have different perceptions about the same company.

But you can show yourself as versatile, adaptable, whatever, on your cover letter and in the interview. Give examples of multitasking or handling change or dealing with a fast pace, whatever you think might be relevant. You can, to some extent, look at how the place you're interviewing at presents itself and adapt your examples to that. Sometimes that's easier, certainly if you're going to a small startup from a large multinational, that's something that can and does need to be openly addressed in an interview.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 7, 2014

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Busy Bee posted:

My advice:

Q&A page - don't have the answers. Have things to mention in your answer to their questions. We can smell people reading lists and assume it is not genuine. Half your missions is to demonstrate that what you are saying is genuinely what you believe and you are not just in interview mode. As far as your questions to them go then yes do write them down. Also note at the Q&A part (rather casually) that "yes, I have written down some questions on several topic areas"

Also dress in a suit for the phone interview or make preparations to actually go to the interview. Completely corny and unnecessary but it changes people's mindsets.

Finally read the news to see what's happened relevant to the business in the last week. (this is a good source for Q&A as well as linking answers to questions) That means to the business itself as well as the wider industry. Read the front section of the company's annual report or strategy paper to analysts if the company is listed.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
What is the concensus on talking about disability after it's been disclosed to the potential employer?

I'm having trouble thinking of suitable answers for the 'greatest achievement' question, in reality I feel that it's either completeing my second year of grad school while bedridden or sucessfully managing my daily life directly after being injured in the Tohoku earthquake, however both of these require talking about my disability to some extent and I know that's a big no-no for interviews, but it's formed a large part of my recent history. Some of my recent interviews have been as a result of disabled interview schemes, so they are already aware about it and still felt comfortable enough to invite me to interview despite this, but still.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Rolled Cabbage posted:

What is the concensus on talking about disability after it's been disclosed to the potential employer?

I'm having trouble thinking of suitable answers for the 'greatest achievement' question, in reality I feel that it's either completeing my second year of grad school while bedridden or sucessfully managing my daily life directly after being injured in the Tohoku earthquake, however both of these require talking about my disability to some extent and I know that's a big no-no for interviews, but it's formed a large part of my recent history. Some of my recent interviews have been as a result of disabled interview schemes, so they are already aware about it and still felt comfortable enough to invite me to interview despite this, but still.

It is an obvious thing to talk about getting over a real adversity and going through rehabilitation. I'd have a second business type example lined up too.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I had an interview today for an entry level state government engineering job an was asked a very specific technical question in an area of my field that is not my strongest. I asked the question to some of my professors and some of them had difficulty answering it and there was general shock that they would ask the question of an entry level candidate. I confessed that I wasn't quite sure how to answer it and instead brought up how I would tackle a different area of the project that I had more experience in working with, which I realize isn't answering the question but it was the best I could come up with in the moment. Is it possible they were asking the question completely out of left field to see how an entry level candidate would deal with something way out of their league, or am I just completely hosed for flunking a technical question? For what it's worth I feel like I absolutely killed the rest of the interview.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well:
A) they recognize it was a harsh question and were looking to see how you'd react to a curveball, perhaps an honest "well, I'm not exactly sure how to tackle that, I'd probably need to consult with a senior member of the staff" would have been the best answer.
B) they have murderously high expectations of an entry level guy, which probably wouldn't be good for you (unless you like the ol' sink or swim game)

If it is the former, they'd likely not weigh it too much as long as everything else was good. If it is the latter, then hey, you dodged a bullet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just got a rejection notice for a job for which I thought I was an excellent candidate, and I didn't even get past round 1. Rather than obsess over the hundred little things that could have gone wrong, I'm just going to practice my interview skills and do better next time. I do have some questions.

1. I did not send a thank-you note after the interview. I suppose I should have. What should be in it? Should it be a handwritten note on fancy stationery? Honestly, I'm surprised anybody really wants this dreck. My former boss received them from students he interviewed, in a myriad of stationery styles which I suppose were chosen to reflect the candidates' personalities, and I believe he mostly thought they were silly.

2. I received my rejection notice via email; should I just send back a brief note thanking them for their time and asking for their consideration in the future?

3. Is it beyond the pale to ask for feedback on my interview? How should I go about it?

4. After reading the OP, is it really so uncommon for a hiring manager to know who they want to hire, but go through a perfunctory (or mandatory) interview process? The rumours I've heard about my current employer (a university) say that it's fairly common to interview people only because it's mandatory before the department promotes someone internally to a position that's been created for them.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Email thank you notes are good. Especially if you had some natural rapore (spelling?) with the interviewer and can mention something you enjoyed or follow up on something. Either way it's like a sentence or two most of the time and probably makes no difference.

Hand written is I think pretty anachronistic and will probably make you look weird unless it's some niche industry where that's appropriate. My mom gave me some nice stationary for thank you notes when I graduated school and the first job I actually got was when I stopped doing that. She had good intentions but when was the last time you got a letter and was it from a parent or grand parent? Exactly.

This is just what I've been told, obviously you'll have exceptions of all kinds.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 9, 2014

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
No one writes thank you letters, they just write thank you cards.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I just got a rejection notice for a job for which I thought I was an excellent candidate, and I didn't even get past round 1. Rather than obsess over the hundred little things that could have gone wrong, I'm just going to practice my interview skills and do better next time. I do have some questions.

1. I did not send a thank-you note after the interview. I suppose I should have. What should be in it? Should it be a handwritten note on fancy stationery? Honestly, I'm surprised anybody really wants this dreck. My former boss received them from students he interviewed, in a myriad of stationery styles which I suppose were chosen to reflect the candidates' personalities, and I believe he mostly thought they were silly.

2. I received my rejection notice via email; should I just send back a brief note thanking them for their time and asking for their consideration in the future?

3. Is it beyond the pale to ask for feedback on my interview? How should I go about it?

4. After reading the OP, is it really so uncommon for a hiring manager to know who they want to hire, but go through a perfunctory (or mandatory) interview process? The rumours I've heard about my current employer (a university) say that it's fairly common to interview people only because it's mandatory before the department promotes someone internally to a position that's been created for them.
I'll take a stab at these.
1. Thank-you notes are dumb. Thank-you e-mails are ok, but not needed. Unless you have the actual hiring manager's e-mail (unlikely), I'd skip it.

2. Yes, that's completely appropriate and handling rejection well is a mark of character.

3. No, but you're extremely unlikely to get decent, actionable feedback. HR counsels most managers to avoid giving reasons. That just opens them up to liability.

4. It's more common than you'd think, especially in the public sector with all their rules (and laws) about hiring.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I had an interview today for an entry level state government engineering job an was asked a very specific technical question in an area of my field that is not my strongest. I asked the question to some of my professors and some of them had difficulty answering it and there was general shock that they would ask the question of an entry level candidate. I confessed that I wasn't quite sure how to answer it and instead brought up how I would tackle a different area of the project that I had more experience in working with, which I realize isn't answering the question but it was the best I could come up with in the moment. Is it possible they were asking the question completely out of left field to see how an entry level candidate would deal with something way out of their league, or am I just completely hosed for flunking a technical question? For what it's worth I feel like I absolutely killed the rest of the interview.

Sometimes the interviewer is just a punk. I had a coworker at a tech company for a job well-suited for electrical or computer engineering--as opposed to computer science or software engineering. He would demand candidates implement a working, well-balanced, fast hash map algorithm from scratch. That's pretty much pure computer science right there, and wasn't really related at all to the nature of the work. I knew how to do it from some specific experiences I had outside of school, but all the candidates were fresh college grads.

mosy28
Nov 6, 2011
I will be interviewing for a research associate position at the Broad Institute in 1-2 weeks. There weren't any phone screens or requests for references, but it appears that these will be considered final round interviews. In terms of work environment and culture, the Broad Institute seems to lie somewhere between universities and pharmaceutical/biotech companies.

What should I wear to the interview? Is it enough to wear a button down, slacks, dress shoes, and tie? Or should I go in a suit? If the latter, then I need to purchase one as soon as possible; I'm sure I'll have more opportunities to wear it in the coming years. I know that the RAs there, whom are in their early 20s as I am, dress casually, but there are also a host of MD and PhD scientists that dress more professionally. However, I don't believe anyone who works there actually wears a full suit. Thoughts?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wear a suit.

When in doubt, wear a suit.

It's a very, very, very, very rare employer that will judge you negatively for wearing a suit to a job interview, and if this was one of them you'd know.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I was contacted on March 31st (Monday) about a position I applied for back in January. After a few emails, the recruiter asked me on April 3rd (Thursday) what my availability was for a 30 minute phone interview for this week. I sent him an email with my availability and I have yet to hear back from him. I sent him a follow up email a week later on April 10th (Thursday). Is this normal for a recruiter to not get back to you?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Xandu posted:

You can't specifically counter the perception that "big companies are [insert x here]" if it doesn't come up in the interview because you don't know exactly what their perceptions are, and as you said, people have different perceptions about the same company.

But you can show yourself as versatile, adaptable, whatever, on your cover letter and in the interview. Give examples of multitasking or handling change or dealing with a fast pace, whatever you think might be relevant. You can, to some extent, look at how the place you're interviewing at presents itself and adapt your examples to that. Sometimes that's easier, certainly if you're going to a small startup from a large multinational, that's something that can and does need to be openly addressed in an interview.

This is exactly right and you can even take it a step further by anticipating that they have these prejudices and framing yourself as what you think will break through that prejudice. I made an internal move but to a wildly different branch of a big company (going from giant home office with tons of process and slow action to a much smaller, more entrepreneurial satellite office with a need to be fast, make decisions, and try new things that no one has done before) and in all my interviews I played up all the aspects of my work where I broke down barriers, innovated, slimmed down processes and added the kind of value that they needed. If for some reason I had been applying for a move to a department that was more old world then I would have framed it totally differently. It was internal so it's different to a big extent, but I needed them to know that I wouldn't be bringing what they don't want from the broader organization with me. I also told them that I would bring some of the things that do work. (i.e. sometimes things are slow because people make decisions by committee but sometimes they're slow because we've developed stopgap measures to prevent big errors that will end up hurting the company. Because of my background I know which is which therefore you need me more than some other guy.)

So you don't know their prejudices but in case they have them you can pre-empt them so that when they say "big corporations are like xyz" afterwards, their next thought is "but this guy seems totally different and more like what we're looking for..."

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Trip report- I had my interview with the local union today. Somehow, I was scheduled as the first interview of the day, closely followed by 3 "apprentice helpers" (employed by union contractors, not part of union), the lady checking us in joked with the helpers and said "Unless you really screw up today, you already have the job!". :suicide:

Beyond that, I think I answered questions well and acted professionally, but I'm pretty sure I messed up one question: "what accomplishment are you most proud of?" Well poo poo, I'm not really proud of any of my accomplishments, sure I graduated high school, went to college, and have held a job for the last 5 years (with no promotion) but I kinda fell like all that poo poo is just what people do, it doesn't make me feel like I am proud or that I have accomplished anything. So my response was a brief pause followed by "I cant think of anything specific at the moment." I fully believe that response probably eliminated all my chances of getting in, but honestly I don't think I would have had any chance in hell of getting in even with perfect answers.

I also went in with a suit and tie, EVERYONE else, all other applicants and the men doing the interview wore blue jeans, I know I made some sort of impression this morning. . .

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 17, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Crotch Fruit posted:

Trip report- I had my interview with the local union today. Somehow, I was scheduled as the first interview of the day, closely followed by 3 "apprentice helpers" (employed by union contractors, not part of union), the lady checking us in joked with the helpers and said "Unless you really screw up today, you already have the job!". :suicide:

Beyond that, I think I answered questions well and acted professionally, but I'm pretty sure I messed up one question: "what accomplishment are you most proud of?" Well poo poo, I'm not really proud of any of my accomplishments, sure I graduated high school, went to college, and have held a job for the last 5 years (with no promotion) but I kinda fell like all that poo poo is just what people do, it doesn't make me feel like I am proud or that I have accomplished anything. So my response was a brief pause followed by "I cant think of anything specific at the moment." I fully believe that response probably eliminated all my chances of getting in, but honestly I don't think I would have had any chance in hell of getting in even with perfect answers.

I also went in with a suit and tie, EVERYONE else, all other applicants and the men doing the interview wore blue jeans, I know I made some sort of impression this morning. . .

That was a bad answer, but may not be a dealbreaker if you gave them reason to think you're motivated to succeed and interested in the field otherwise. Keep your chin up - a no isn't a no until they call you and say it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Hypotethically, would it have been better for me to answer that question by saying that I am not proud of my accomplishments? Something like "Yes I graduated high school and college, but I feel those are just achievements that normal people should do. They are not accomplishments I am proud of because they have not benefited me or improved my life and career. What I do feel most proud of, is a small accomplishment, in that I have held my last job for six years, and I am very good at the work I perform. My employer does not offer many awards for recognition, however I know they recognize me. That last time that I was sick and could not work, when I called to let them know, my boss said 'wow, you must be really sick, you have never called in'."

Similarly, should I be concerned with the remarks from the secretary? Hypotethically, if you went in to a job interview, and in the waiting room, the interviewer came out and high fived his/her best friend and said "it's going to be so fun to work with you this job is yours!", would that be breaking sort of law or unethical or anything? I am not particularly bothered by the fact the people who are helpers have a significantly better chance of getting in. What I am bothered by is going in for an interview, and being told the next three people after you are literally already hired. Hearing that had a tremendous impact on the quality of my interview, but at this point, I don't believe there is anything I can do about it.

• Locked thread