Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fork bomb posted:

Anyone like stand up?

Tom Segura recently uploaded a special.

Morgan Murphy is really deadpan and funny.

John Mulaney is good, too.

I've also recently watched and enjoyed a four-part documentary series called "America in Primetime" which explores four television tropes: man of the house, the independent woman, the misfit, and the crusader.
gently caress all these amateurs, just go watch the Bill Hicks documentary, "American".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

OMG you guys, Leprechaun 2 is finally on Netflix!

If you like horrible horror movies or the 90s or both, this is the start of something big. L2 features a young, almost virginal Clint Howard. It's not a bright spot in the Leprechaun franchise, but it's a start.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Virginal? Dude was acting for 30 years by then.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Sire Oblivion posted:

isn't everyone a virgin at 30 years old?? mods???

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Yeah, didn't he play that super smart alien kid in an episode of Star Trek?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If you like band documentaries at all, Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage is streaming. It's a pretty good overview of the band from the start to right before the most recent album. Good interviews with other musicians (minus Jack Black) and the band themselves, plus pretty entertaining concert footage.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FrumpleOrz posted:

I believe so, he also starred in Gentle Ben in the 60s.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sire Oblivion posted:

I believe so, he also starred in Gentle Ben in the 60s.

Yeah, and he was Leon on Andy Griffith when it was still black and white.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I watched The Perfect Host again today and I really, really recommend it. The less you know, the better.

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*

fork bomb posted:

John Mulaney is good, too.

Whoa, this is crazy good. Thanks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Agreed, I listened to the Mulaney special on Rdio and loved it. Then watched it on Netflix a couple days later.

Comedy shows are really hit or miss for me, but one I did like was the Dana Gould one. Also listened to the Maria Bamford one on Rdio and enjoyed it a lot but it isn't on Netflix it seems. (Rdio is great for comedy albums btw)

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Sire Oblivion posted:

HOW COULD YOU posted:

isn't everyone a virgin at 30 years old?? mods???

FrumpleOrz posted:

It's like there's an Aatrek joke-shaped pinata floating itt and everyone is just whiffing at it.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

fork bomb posted:

Morgan Murphy is really deadpan and funny.

And this one's pretty bad

E: and for anyone who's into that, the David Attenborough documentaries are incredible.
Also Triage:Dr. James Orbinski's Humanitarian Dilemma is really good if they ever put it back up. It's pretty hardcore :nms: though, so be warned.

Vaginaface has a new favorite as of 07:52 on Mar 24, 2014

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Dhoom was added a short while back. It's a bollywood buddy cop thing and it features some of the most ridiculous(ly cool) action scenes in recent memory. If you can stand the sudden musical numbers, it's pretty fun. The sequel is also up, but I haven't seen that one.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Prof. Numbers posted:

Whoa, this is crazy good. Thanks.

I was also surprised by it. I'd never heard of this guy before and most of the special was hilarious.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I was also surprised by it. I'd never heard of this guy before and most of the special was hilarious.

He's been writing for SNL for years and done a lot of other writing work. I've noticed that with a lot of comics these days, they seem like they come out of nowhere when they've actually been well known for years, just not their names.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I watched the movie Flight a little while ago which wasnt bad. But was it just a big alcoholics anonymous ad?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I watched the movie Flight a little while ago which wasnt bad. But was it just a big alcoholics anonymous ad?

AA is so ingrained in America's legal system and public consciousness (as well as such an easy tool for writers) that anything remotely critical of it is pretty much never going to show up in a movie. At this point AA is one of those things like defibrilators that you have to accept is used by movies in a way completely divorced from reality.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Vaginaface posted:

And this one's pretty bad

Morgan Murphy definitely has a certain style that won't appeal to everyone. I thought she was funny.

Unrelated: I want King of the Hill to be back on Netflix. :mad:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

fork bomb posted:

Unrelated: I want King of the Hill to be back on Netflix. :mad:

...and Kids in the Hall :argh:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched a bit of Morgan Murphy and felt like she could be funny if someone worked with her on how to set up a joke. Some of the jokes were (or could have been) funny but she often threw punchlines too soon then kept going with the same joke, basically her timing is nonexistent. I can see how it would appeal to some people but the audience laughter felt complimentary.

--

Seasons 4 & 5 of The Murdoch Mysteries are up on Amazon Prime, if anyone else like me watched Seasons 1-3 on Netflix and wanted more.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
TALAASH, a Hindi neonoir, is on Netflix. Don't expect a Bollywood song and dance movie because it really isn't one for the most part. It's weird and dark and has Aamir Khan in it, so it is worth watching.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Netflix just got a crapload of stuff today including The Graduate. If you haven't seen The Graduate, :wtf:???????????

e: I just started watching something else that just got released called "Mortified Nation" and I'm pretty sure everyone that has gotten on stage so far is/was a goon and posted in E/N a lot.

quote:

This painfully funny documentary follows the Mortified movement, a grassroots series of stage events in which adults share some of their most embarrassing childhood writings, art and media, all in front of total strangers.

Reign Of Pain has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Apr 1, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I don't know when they were added, but season 2 of Adventure Time is up, as are the first 10 episodes of season 2 of Comedy Bang Bang. Lots o laughs up in here.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Whoa, Death Wish 3 is on there now. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember it being an unintentionally hilarious authoritarian wet dream. I see The Running Man on there as well, so maybe it will be poo poo movie night tomorrow.

Also looks like they added all the Rocky movies and all of House M.D., or I don't recall seeing them on there before.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Running Man is bottom-tier Schwarzenegger, ya'all are straight tripping.

The book is awesome though, you should read it if you get the chance.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Running Man is not quite bottom-tier, it has a certain charm that neither End of Days or 6th Day can manage.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's why I was pairing it with "Death Wish 3" - it's a poo poo movie, but it's pretty funny. Although, actually I can't think of a Schwarzenegger movie offhand that's as fearmongering and as much of an authoritarian fantasy as DW3, so if I really wanted a soulmate for it, I'd have to move over to the Stallone oeuvre, perhaps "Cobra".

I don't remember if "Cobra" is still on Instant, but to me, one of the funniest scenes in that one was when Cobretti goes to his office for some reason, and there's a huge framed picture of Ronald Reagan.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Running Man is magnificent. You guys are smoking crack.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

...of SCIENCE! posted:

hush, you don't know what you're talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QfcKP1W6EM

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
They freaking removed Mission Impossible 1 and 3. 4 is pretty good but in 2 they tried to go all out wacky and its pretty :wut:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Pandora's Promise is a pretty good documentary about nuclear power and the people that are scared shitless of it. I heartily recommend it.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

Everyone watch Happy Endings, it owns.

Word to the wise: it was canceled because for whatever reason the network pretty much deliberately tanked it by being lovely at advertising it and the completely insane decision to air the episodes all out of order, and for whatever reason netflix hosts shows in the air-date order, not the production order, so you'll need to check wikipedia to get the details on which episode is when. If you watch them in netfix order you'll get weird things where people reference events that haven't happened yet from your perspective.

Great sitcom, funny characters, do it!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Happy Endings
loving terrific show, created by the Russo Brothers, the QUIET half of the people that created Community. Didn't know it was on Netflix, will fire it up tonight!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is so very, very true. It's not really like the movie at all, so don't go in with any expectations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I watched In Bruges last night and it was amazing.

It is a dark comedy in the same vein as.Fargo. It is about two hit men that are told to lay low in the city of Bruges after a hit went wrong. Things spiral out of control pretty quickly. Colin Farrell has a lot of great dialog. Also Voldemert is the villain.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Word to the wise: it was canceled because for whatever reason the network pretty much deliberately tanked it by being lovely at advertising it and the completely insane decision to air the episodes all out of order, and for whatever reason netflix hosts shows in the air-date order, not the production order, so you'll need to check wikipedia to get the details on which episode is when. If you watch them in netfix order you'll get weird things where people reference events that haven't happened yet from your perspective.

Great sitcom, funny characters, do it!

Happy Endings is great but I have no idea where you're getting the network deliberately tanking it stuff from. Heck, I think it had Modern Family as a lead in for an entire season. The show just failed to be successful for whatever reason. It happens.
Also airing episodes out of order was a good decision since the significantly less good first several episodes of the show may have scared away viewers otherwise. I guess it's a bit weird Netflix doesn't fix the ordering but I think they leave most shows in their airing order. I think this only affected the first season anyway.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

Happy Endings is great but I have no idea where you're getting the network deliberately tanking it stuff from. Heck, I think it had Modern Family as a lead in for an entire season. The show just failed to be successful for whatever reason. It happens.
Also airing episodes out of order was a good decision since the significantly less good first several episodes of the show may have scared away viewers otherwise. I guess it's a bit weird Netflix doesn't fix the ordering but I think they leave most shows in their airing order. I think this only affected the first season anyway.

Nope, it goes on throughout every season, although the third has it to a lesser degree.

edit: and it's really dumb in some cases. the episode that is very clearly the season finale of season 1 is the second last episode, leading into a good but forgettable filler episode.

I'm know I'm being a little dumb in my conspiracy talk, but it's because I don't want to face the fact that it may have failed organically, it's just so great

HOW COULD YOU has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Apr 3, 2014

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Are you seeing this on Netflix? I can't find it, in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

Invisble Manuel posted:

Are you seeing this on Netflix? I can't find it, in the US.

Possibly might be in Canada, I'm not sure where netflix thinks I am right now

• Locked thread