Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
Well, John Dies at the End has a longer entry than Lolita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Sel Nar posted:

Yes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnreliableNarrator

Go nuts, It's probably chock-full of stupid.

Oh god. They have a real life section for unreliable narrators. First on the list is Schliemann, the guy who dug up Troy. They fail to mention that basically EVERY ARCHAEOLOGIST FROM THAT TIME was unreliable.

Then I found this.

quote:

The recounting of fictional works by denizens of this very website are often influenced by Fanon, personal opinion, etc.

They're self-aware.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Augustin Iturbide posted:

Well, John Dies at the End has a longer entry than Lolita.

JDatE actually does some pretty clever stuff with the narration. Everything is styled as if Dave is the straight-man and John is the clown, when John is actually pretty normal and the only thing stopping Dave from going full Columbine.

Of course the linked page, and the JDatE page don't mention that at all. They somehow missed that, even with the afterword rubbing your face in it.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
What is Fanon? Surely they can't mean Frantz Fanon...

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Swan Oat posted:

I think it's the boss from Legend of Zelda?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Pachelbel's Fanon in D Major

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Swan Oat posted:

You know what canon is? Fanon is where they go, "gently caress the creator, we know the work better" and discredit what the creator says as fact.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swan Oat posted:

Fanon is what happens when fanfiction/fanart/etc for a media property takes on a life of it's own, and you've got people making their own fanwork of another fan's stories about whatever. A set of canon rules is established for what happens as a result of some poo poo like Star Wars offshoot where Princess Leia hooks up with Chewbacca and has kids or whatever.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Install Windows posted:

Fanon is what happens when fanfiction/fanart/etc for a media property takes on a life of it's own, and you've got people making their own fanwork of another fan's stories about whatever. A set of canon rules is established for what happens as a result of some poo poo like Star Wars offshoot where Princess Leia hooks up with Chewbacca and has kids or whatever.

This is so depressing.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Of all the things I wish I hadn't learned from TVTropes I wish I hadn't learned that the most.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Here is an example of fanon in action: http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Swan Oat posted:

No, but they are the wretched of the earth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also, fanon usually ends up like when tropers make painstaking lists of the tropes in some bullshit they wrote: utterly useless to just about anyone, because noone cares about making the sequel to your epic masterpiece of Mario finding true love with Princess Zelda and the exact way you changed both game worlds for your story's purpose.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Alouicious posted:

Who the gently caress wants to read a story where the main characters aren't as GENRE SAVVY as the reader is????

Why bother with things like conflict or character development when my Mary Sue hero can just spout off all the tropes he's subverting?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Mark Twain said it best. "Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." The same can be applied to stories.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Mark Twain said it best. "Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." The same can be applied to stories.
Tropers don't even get that far. They cut the frog open and dump all the organs into a jar labeled "RAPE".

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

No, see, that's supposed to be an obvious lie... :goonsay:

Alright.

"This troper gazed up at the enormous face. Four years it had taken me to learn what kind of smile was hidden atop that graying beard. O cruel, needless conscience! O stubborn, self-willed reproving of the anime breast chart! Two Dew-scented tears trickled down the sides of my nose. But it was alright, everything was alright, the struggle was finished. I had won a victory over myself. I loved Fast Eddie."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

Instead of throwing the show's concept over and making up something entirely new, Of Mice And Mayhem picks up where the show left, and that is presumably after the episode "Good Times, Bat Times". Three of the most popular one-shot characters have joined the Rescue Rangers (and been given an extra popularity boost), and this extra personnel, together with their individual abilities, is direly needed on the case the Rangers are thrown into, a case that doesn't only go beyond anything ever seen in official material, but also takes several months to solve. Since the target audience isn't the same as the show's, namely the first generation of fans who had all grown up by then rather than the kids who watched CDRR on Toon Disney, the author could increase the overall intensity by multiple notches.

While some accuse it of being a bad excuse for blatant Shipping promotion, most fans regard Of Mice And Mayhem as one of the greatest creations ever done by a Rescue Rangers fan and "up there" together with the Fan Fiction epic Rhyme And Reason. It is often considered superior to the show as well as the official comics, both story-wise and drawings-wise, and it received fandom awards by the dozen.

Click here to read this fan crafting (or view it on the comic's Facebook page). Prepare for a sleepless night or two after taking it in.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Why do they have such investment in a bunch of rodents? I mean, sure I liked C&D: Rescue Rangers when I was younger but I literally haven't seen it in at least 15 years. Is it because they want to gently caress Gadget? What am I saying, of course they want to gently caress Gadget.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
"It is often considered superior to the show as well as the official comics, both story-wise and drawings-wise, and it received fandom awards by the dozen." :psyduck:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Install Windows posted:

Also things that become embedded in the fandom even though they have no canon support. Like Ginny being short for 'Virginia', in Harry Potter.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Nostalgia in the age of mass media and the Internet is a terrible thing. Now sad nerds never need to leave the bubble of saccharine, easily digestible bullshit that shielded them in youth. Even if shows end, now new content can go one forever, and quite conveniently include their hosed up views on sex and relationships, so they can be shielded from critical thought and self-awareness there too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Little Blackfly posted:

Nostalgia in the age of mass media and the Internet is a terrible thing. Now sad nerds never need to leave the bubble of saccharine, easily digestible bullshit that shielded them in youth. Even if shows end, now new content can go one forever, and quite conveniently include their hosed up views on sex and relationships, so they can be shielded from critical thought and self-awareness there too.

It's alright, these beings will never produce, the cycle of life lives on.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

1984 was supposed to be an insight into the totalitarian mindset? I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a "this is what all totalitarianism, Soviet, Fascist, or Nazi, is like IRL" without giving a poo poo about what the rulers thought. :psyduck:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

"It is often considered superior to the show as well as the official comics, both story-wise and drawings-wise, and it received fandom awards by the dozen." :psyduck:

yeah lets have a look at that

wow so good

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

"Totalitarian-shaming!" :qq:

The problem with :siren:tropers:siren: trying to deal with someone like Orwell is that the world he inhabited is so dramatically different from a troper's world that they have no contextual basis for understanding him. I'm guessing that the number of tropers who have given up years of their life to travel to a foreign country for the express purpose of shooting fascists, and then taking a rifle round to the neck like Orwell did, is approximately 0.
I mean, Orwell slowballs the entire loving point of The Party across the plate for the reader in the form of a monologue, and they can't understand it. O'Brien flat out says that Ingsoc is fascism distilled into its most honest form, and they think that O'Brien is a loving cartoon villain? gently caress.

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 2, 2014

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

1984 was supposed to be an insight into the totalitarian mindset? I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a "this is what all totalitarianism, Soviet, Fascist, or Nazi, is like IRL" without giving a poo poo about what the rulers thought. :psyduck:

And Brave New World wasn't about totalitarianism at all, it was about society's definitions of the meaning of life in the age of modernity. People always forget about the savage reservation in the book. Brave New World isn't about a totalitarian dystopia, its about two societies that represent the extremes of the human experience (either a life of suffering and self-loathing in the service of god or some other higher purpose, or a life of hedonism devoid of any meaning whatsoever). The savage's choice at the end, to kill himself, is the path of sanity, since it rejects both of these visions of the world as horrible. He knows the world he came from is bad (the savage reservation) because of the suffering it caused to him and his mother, but he also sees how horrible the modern world created to explicitly keep people from thinking is).

I've had this chat before with someone who I would classify a troper, though I don't think he actually contributed to the site. He disliked the Brave New World because "the technology in the book, like the rockets, were implausible :reject:"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

corn in the bible posted:

wow so good

"Prepare for a sleepless night or two after taking it in."

I will TV Tropes, I will.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

wow so good

Wait, I remember this! This is the one where Gadget goes missing and when they find her, she's been used for animal experimentation and has electrodes, wires or screws or something coming out of her shaved head, right? I hadn't been a fan of the show since I was a kid, but I remember the rage and hate this thing caused online.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Egregious Offences posted:

Alright.

"This Goon gazed up at the enormous face. Four years it had taken me to learn what kind of smile was hidden atop that graying beard. O cruel, needless conscience! O stubborn, self-willed reproving of the anime breast chart! Two Dew-scented tears trickled down the sides of my nose. But it was alright, everything was alright, the struggle was finished. I had won a victory over myself. I loved Fast Eddie."
Ahem.

"Do it to Lowtax! Do it to Lowtax! Not me! Lowtax! I don’t care what you do to him. Tear his face off, strip him to the bones. Not me! Lowtax! Not me!"

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

quote:

It's a simple question; if the sword can be seen as a substitute for the phallus, why can't a gun be seen as a substitute for a womb?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOROvO2fxTc

Considering how sexualized and insane the movie is, I'm surprised there isn't a 20,000 word TV Tropes page for it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

(Deep-Immersion Gaming x 11) + Les Yay + The Plan+ Corrupt Corporate Executive + Moral Event Horizon4 + Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism / Loads and Loads of Characters - Rule of Cool + Shown Their Work = KIKEN

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOROvO2fxTc

Considering how sexualized and insane the movie is, I'm surprised there isn't a 20,000 word TV Tropes page for it.

You rang?

It's not all that huge by TVTropes standards, though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

Did it even have a story? I thought all EPs were pretty much self contained. Its been ages since I've seen it.

wow so good

Art is a lot better than I would've expected.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

quote:

It's a simple question; if the sword can be seen as a substitute for the phallus, why can't a gun be seen as a substitute for a womb?

Because "shooting out babies" is just an expression and these losers have no idea how childbirth metaphors/similes work?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Whenever I go to a TVTropes page, I'm overcome with the temptation to click on the "Analysis" tab, thinking maybe this time there will actually be something written for it. I often relent but sadly (?) have never seen any "Analysis" on the site, which speaks volumes.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I haven't really bothered looking at TV Tropes much, but I'm curious as to where the creepy poo poo starts. The main pages seem to mostly just be boring lists of things. Where do these people congregate?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

karl fungus posted:

I haven't really bothered looking at TV Tropes much, but I'm curious as to where the creepy poo poo starts. The main pages seem to mostly just be boring lists of things. Where do these people congregate?

The forums, the pages on anime, some of the skeevier boring lists. It's like reddit but worse, in the sense that it's got a respectable veneer with lots of disturbing/illegal/messed up things underneath.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Also, a lot of the really obviously hosed up stuff has been scrubbed from the site, for the most part. It was very difficult for them to get rid of their 100,000-word list on every instance of panties being visible in every form of media that has ever existed, but Google was going to pull its advertising if they didn't. So the obvious creep-factor isn't quite as obvious as it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah gently caress you Aristotle's Poetics.

Tvtropes is not Aristotle.

• Locked thread