Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Seamonster posted:

My warforged is literally this guy:

He's a warlord, of course.

You know that Warforged are robot men, right? I have a hard time imagining Mechazawa as anything but human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Warforged aren't really robots though but nobody found out yet so I can just beep boop I AM THE LAW and whack people in the face for jaywalking. I got three people to obey a 'do not tread on the grass' sign by just brandishing my fullblade and telling them I hadn't used my daily yet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I built a warforged bard pregen who does psychic/thunder everything and called him Beatbox the Rappin' Robot. The player actually RPs him better than I would and rhymes as much as humanly possible. He challenges everyone to rap battles (whether they realize it or not), which he wins because he can push his Intimidate to +28 at level 12.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My Warforged is a crippled Gnome in a battle suit called Genius-Operated Living Exoskeletal Mechanism.

Warforged have SO much potential for cool characters.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

AXE COP posted:

Welcome to 4e. It sounds like you've grasped the system perfectly.

And no nothing should break that at all. 4e is super super friendly to reskinning.

Warforged are great for this. There was a warforged cavalier in our group who transformed into a centaur mode when using their mount.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also

Warforged Druids are transformers. Warforged Swarm Druids are Pixie Power Rangers.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Is it re-fluffed character concepts time? The best robots I've got are a friend and I playing two Warforged bard DJs, and playing in a christmas themed game as Frosty the snowman. A Pixie Warlord just being Navi is a classic.

I seem to recall I was in a game once where we were a Japanaese superhero team. We had a Cavallier in a insect helm, a ninja and a Magical Girl. My character was a Hengeyokai cat Cleric, who was the one who gave the girl her powers. I think we fought off Godzilla, and an invasion of crab men from the Far Realm.

In 3.5 playing a magical intelligent sword that has all the PC stats and just uses random schlubs to cart him around was fun, it made PCs dying a lot more entertaining. i gotta dust off that old chestnut.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I am currently playing a difficult-terrain based warden as a giant scorpion politician from space.

I also had a teleport-based battlemind whose shtick was that he was actually cut loose in time. All his teleports and tricks were him flickering across the timeline, alternate versions appearing, or him cutting other people's cords loose too.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Warforged druid transformers! Wizards reflavored as bards, shooting fireballs and lightning bolts out of a tuba or accordion!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

AXE COP posted:

I am currently playing a difficult-terrain based warden as a giant scorpion politician from space.
what.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have a few medium-sized spider minis. The next time I roll a thri-kreen, my thri-kreen is actually a giant spider, and my allies are just going to have to deal with it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

AXE COP posted:

I sure hope he speaks almost exclusively in scorpion puns.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I sure hope he speaks almost exclusively in scorpion puns.
How many scorpion puns are there? Surely you'd run out quickly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nihilarian posted:

I'm sure the ones there are have some sting to them.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Crab puns will work if you're in a pinch

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Not if you're stingy with them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I had a horse warlock in my party once. Just a regular horse who somehow made a fey pact. He had a horse-dragon familiar. It looked like this.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I dunno man, a giant scorpion running around in an adventuring party sounds like a recipe for clawtastraphe.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Prison Warden posted:

You know that Warforged are robot men, right? I have a hard time imagining Mechazawa as anything but human.

We've house ruled that nobody is allowed to say "robot" in game, a la Cromartie: "Has anybody noticed that Mechazawa is a ro...ro...ro... role model?"

Also he spazzes out for a split second anytime anyone says "delinquent" or any derivation thereof.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
Is this where I can keep talking about my game's Fashion Paladin, servant of Ru'Paul, God(dess) of Fabulous? The Divine Challenge was changed to Fashion Challenge. I have to be extra descriptive of clothes NPCs and monsters might be wearing as often as possible in order to give her proper openings.

Gravybong fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 1, 2014

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Fun fact: That is pretty much an official 4e paladin cause.

Divine Power posted:

Corellon

To serve Corellon is to serve enchantment- both the magic of beauty and the beauty of magic. You feel Corellon's favor when you find and foster magic and when you protect or create beauty. You take inspiration from exquisite things and seek ways to bring magic to others' lives.

As a worshiper of Corellon, you favor powers that emphasize the power of magic. Select showy powers, particularly those that deal radiant damage or force damage. Choose training in Arcana, Diplomacy, and Insight.

Avenger: In an enchanted refuge you received your training and the investiture of your divine power. You didn't need the advice of others to tell you how to use Corellon's gifts. You heard your calling in songs and saw your path written across a starlit sky: Strike down those who destroy, and tear through the web of Lolth's followers to stab at the heart of her plans. Death, too, can be a work of art.

Cleric: The splendor of the world and its peoples' creations inspires you, and you hope your deeds will inspire others to feel what you know in your soul. Corellon is a god of renewal, so you seek to restore and rebuild wherever destruction has wrought sorrow.

Invoker: You were granted a gift you're not sure you can ever repay. Thanks to Corellon, you can speak words of such grace that you command the attention of even the most hideous souls. With his magic behind your will, you feel compelled to share the joy your spirit feels. A magic so great should never be kept secret.

Paladin: Too often, ugly brutality ruins the gentle or glorious things in life. You chose the path of the paladin not for the song of the sword's arc, but for the sound of the next next breath of a would-be victim bought by your weapon's strike against an attacker. Whether beauty takes the form of the most enchanting place in the world or the face of a kind soul, how could you not stand between it and destruction?

Sehanine's paladins are equally interesting.

Divine Power posted:

Sehanine
The moon's glow, the crisp leaves of autumn, the magician's trick, the kiss between lovers- all are signs of Sehanine's favor. You know this because you can feel her smile in your soul when you see them. You roam the world seeking your destiny, taking such omens as signals to guide your shadowy way.

As a worshiper of Sehanine, pick powers that allow you to avoid notice or escape trouble. Choose training in Bluff, Perception, and Stealth.

Avenger: Your soul has always lurked in the shadows. Even in the center of a crowded room, you felt as though you watched from hiding. Only the moon saw you for who you are. Only Sehanine answered the call you could not utter. Now beneath her bright smile you serve as her hidden blade, and when she clasps your soul in her hand, you strike.

Cleric: Life is a prank the gods play upon souls, but at least you're in on the joke. Fate, life, death- those ideas mean little when it comes down to it. The truth is that each moment is what you make it, and for there's nothing better than spending those moments with friends. They don't always see what you find so funny, but with a little help from you, they can laugh at death too.

Invoker: Some would call you a trickster, others would call you a thief or a cheat, but they'd have to catch you first, and even then you'd figure out how to slip free. You know that the secret to life is living it well, and you use others as unwitting pawns in ways that amuse you. Sehanine approves, of course. If she didn't, you know she'd steal back the gifts she has given- because you'd do the same in her place.

Paladin: You can't say for certain where the boundary between right and wrong lies, but as you travel the road of life, you make sure to keep between those ditches. Yet there's one thing you and Sehanine can't leave behind, one thing that's worth going off your course for: love. Whether it's for the passion between two or the camaraderie of many, you'll stand your ground. Right and wrong don't mean a thing when you raise your shield- or draw your sword- for love.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LightWarden posted:

Fun fact: That is pretty much an official 4e paladin cause.

Sehanine's paladins are equally interesting.

Dear lord I need to read Divine Power. One of the guys in my game was playing a battle cleric serving Bahamut, and was just complaining to me about his goody-two-shoes deity. I was thinking of letting him change over to Kord, but these are awesome.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
My players have been gearing up for a new campaign and have come up with some pretty sweet character concepts:

-Hamadryad Illusionist - her "spells" are psilocybin mushroom spores
-Revenant Warlock - a curse-happy mummy
-Wilden Vampire - sun-allergic venus fly trap/piranha plant

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh yeah, my Half-Elf Ranger: all of his flavour is based on the fact that his dilettante is Biting Swarm. He has been plagued by a swarm of primal fly spirits since his youngest days. They're mostly immaterial, they disappear if you swat them, but over the years he's learned to control and utilise them - he does a lot of penalties to hit, slowing and immobilising, some forced movement, all of which are flavoured as clouds of horrible biting insects plaguing the target. He can fly a little, which is him growing fly wings. His crossbows are borne above his head on a cloud of flies (Ocular Adept PP). His ED is still a little in flux in terms of flavour (he's a Destined Scion mechanically, but that's boring as piss), but will probably wind up being some form of insect-based avatar of a nature god. He's recently developed the ability to suck people out of play into the hive, which is out of phase with normal reality.

He's fun.

E: also, revenant pixie swarm druid. Fun fact, all revenants, regardless of prior race, are Medium sized. Revenant Pixie Swarm druid is a medium-sized swarm of dead pixies.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 1, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh yeah, my Half-Elf Ranger: all of his flavour is based on the fact that his dilettante is Biting Swarm. He has been plagued by a swarm of primal fly spirits since his youngest days. They're mostly immaterial, they disappear if you swat them, but over the years he's learned to control and utilise them - he does a lot of penalties to hit, slowing and immobilising, some forced movement, all of which are flavoured as clouds of horrible biting insects plaguing the target.

Naw, dude, this basically sounds like Pigpen from Peanuts comics.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Thinking of running a game that doesn't even pretend to care about non-combat abilities. Working on figuring out how to use certain skills in an all battle all the time setting. Most work as written with a couple exceptions. Help me figure out if these alternate uses work ok!

Diplomacy: Encounter, free action. Normal DC. Give an ally +2 untyped hit to next attack.
Endurance: Daily, free action. Hard DC. Don't spend a surge when required.
Heal: 1/day free action. Hard DC. Ally you target with healing power doesn't spend a surge when required.
History: Knowledge of tactics? Maybe good for monster knowledge checks at a penalty
Intimidate: No penalty for attempting to force surrender, and it's a minor action

Arcana, Dungeoneering, Nature, Religion, Streetwise: Some sort of encounter interrupt on a hit for each magical power source, instigating a one-on-one with the triggering enemy. Wizards' duel, mind battle, spirit clash, my deity is better than yours, whatever it is shadow characters do to their hated enemies. Mechanics still WIP

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Intimidate as a minor is drat powerful, especially with no check penalty. It's one of the big reasons Yakuza is a good theme - having a power that is essentially "instantly kill a bloodied monster" as a minor is Really Good for any class.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Intimidate: No penalty for attempting to force surrender, and it's a minor action

With as easy as it is to boost skills, I'm fairly sure this would get stupid really fast. Intimidate focused builds are already pretty good at overcoming the +10 to Will, eliminating that barrier lets these sorts of characters run over applicable encounters. It wouldn't even have to be someone deliberately min-maxing, they could just be looking for things that give them Intimidate in the character builder and then suddenly they're cowing every enemy in earshot.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Limit it to once per encounter and make Elites & Solos immune and it's pretty balanced IMO.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Limit it to once per encounter and make Elites & Solos immune and it's pretty balanced IMO.

Alternatively speed up combat resolution by allowing skills other than Intimidate to be used in a similar fashion, and make it a central theme to how combat is resolved in your game.

Intimidate - Grants a +# bonus to the attempt based on the number of the Foe's allies already defeated this battle.
Diplomacy - Grants a +# bonus to the attempt based on the offer you make.
Religion - Grants a +# bonus to the attempt based on your appeal to the enemies base moral values.
Insight - Grants a +# bonus to the attempt based on your ability to determine what the enemy holds dear.

Using Intimidate is the easiest but might leave you with a long term enemy.
Using Diplomacy allows you to leverage wealth against foes, and can either leave you in depth or with an angry hostage.
Using Religion can turn an unsure enemy into a faithful ally to your cause.
Using Insight can end up with an NPC who feels like he owes the PC's a favor for convincing him to leave the conflict.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Honestly I just want there to be a point to skills besides Stealth and Perception in a campaign that focuses on the best part of the game: fantasy squad combat tactics.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Use Bluff to fake out your enemy, subtracting points to hit from your foe's next attack.

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

The Boss doesn't like you. Get out now or you'll have some real trouble.
Anyone familiar with the 4eturntracker?
I used the heck out of it and found it handled combat encounters like a dream. Unfortunately after I switched to Windows 8 I've been unable to run it, due to it most likely being non-compatible with the OS.
Furthermore the person who made it hasn't given it any updates since July, so there's no hope on it being something that it'll be fixed anytime soon :(

Now I'm desperate to use it again as it really was a boon and I was wondering if anyone had an idea for a solution for how to make it work, or if there are any alternatives that fill it's void to the same degree?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ObMeiste posted:

...or if there are any alternatives that fill it's void to the same degree?
Have you tried Masterplan yet? The link is in the OP.

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Have you tried Masterplan yet? The link is in the OP.

I might give it another look, but the problem I had with it was that it was rather a bit too all-encompassing and didn't really have the focused simplicity to running encounters as turntracker did. Also the process of getting the material I wanted to use into the masterplan library was really convoluted.
Granted a lot of those frustrations might have been exacerbated by my own lack of experience with it. :saddowns:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ObMeiste posted:

I might give it another look, but the problem I had with it was that it was rather a bit too all-encompassing and didn't really have the focused simplicity to running encounters as turntracker did.
I used to use turntracker and that's what I thought. Turns out the trick is that you can very easily use Masterplan to run combat only. Jump directly to "create an encounter" when you're preparing, select the prepared encounter you want and go directly to "run it" when you're playing. You don't ever have to link plot points or anything, my own flowchart view is pretty much just a list of this session's encounters with descriptive names. Putting together an encounter on the fly is also really quick, and overall Masterplan runs encounters better than turntracker, too.

Getting creatures entered into the library is a bit of a pain. But then, even manually it's actually a really quick process and I'm done with it faster than I ever was in turntracker. Don't sit down to enter everything at once though, just enter everything you need for next session and you'll have a decently-sized library in no time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

My Lovely Horse posted:

Getting creatures entered into the library is a bit of a pain. But then, even manually it's actually a really quick process and I'm done with it faster than I ever was in turntracker. Don't sit down to enter everything at once though, just enter everything you need for next session and you'll have a decently-sized library in no time.
Remember, if you have DDI, the Masterplan Compendium Import plugin is an amazing time-saver.

And if you don't have DDI, seriously, it's worth your $10 to sub for a month and slurp down the entire compendium full of monsters.

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

Ok yeah upon re-review and with the compendium import working, this looks a lot more ideal! Thanks for the help :)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just bought a Gamma World box, this should be fun for when there's no time for a full day of 3.5/4e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now that I think about it entering monster info in turntracker was slow mainly because I'd always enter the Monster Vault info in my old offline Adventure Tools monster builder and import it from there :v:

Compendium Import is pretty cool. Entering a creature myself, though, helps me get a grip on its powers and traits.