Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mr. Despair posted:

I'll start the wiki.

Haha maybe I got carried away. Does $1000 sound like too much regardless of the features?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Shaocaholica posted:

How much interest do you guys think there would be for a portable battery powered scanner that can scan 135 and 120 to DNG onto a memory card. I say portable so that it does not require a host computer/desktop-software and is reasonably sized. Of course it would have to have a LCD screen for preview and settings.

Little to none. What use case does "battery powered" and "portable" add for people who might otherwise be buying a Plustek?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MrBlandAverage posted:

Little to none. What use case does "battery powered" and "portable" add for people who might otherwise be buying a Plustek?

Basically to not have to rely on a host computer. You can scan in your living room or whatever. Kind of like the freedom you get from using a digital back that writes to cards vs a digital back thats tethered.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Shaocaholica posted:

Basically to not have to rely on a host computer. You can scan in your living room or whatever. Kind of like the freedom you get from using a digital back that writes to cards vs a digital back thats tethered.

I hate to ask, but have you ever actually scanned film? You have the option of walking away from the computer for a few minutes at a time while the scanner does its thing. I usually stay and work on the previously scanned image.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Little to no interest, it basically already exists.

Anyone who is serious about archiving the images that come out of it is going to want great quality, you're not going to build something that's going to rival a Coolscan or Imacon or probably even a flatbed scanner in your garage. So basically you're after "I want something I can put on Facebook right now" value and that's pretty well covered by gimmicks like the above.

If you're really bored, drag the scanner into the living room and watch TV while you scan or something.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MrBlandAverage posted:

I hate to ask, but have you ever actually scanned film? You have the option of walking away from the computer for a few minutes at a time while the scanner does its thing. I usually stay and work on the previously scanned image.

I have and I hate it. I'm sure I've scanned way less than most people here but I just don't like doing it the way I do it. Manually cropping in scanning software, manually exposing, putting meta data into filenames/directories or in the scanning software is cumbersome. Recalling presets is cumbersome. Preset settings live as files somewhere. lovely carriers. Being tethered to a desktop.

Basically a miniture coolscan/multican with up to date tech and software.

I'm not saying its easy or even doable. I'm just curious if people would buy a hypothetical product like that.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 28, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shaocaholica posted:

Basically a miniture coolscan/multican with up to date tech and software.

Honestly if you want to hit 75% of your goals what you should do is buy an Intel NUC PC or ALIX PC engine and a Coolscan and write a worthwhile scanner software package. Reverse-engineer the driver stack if you need to. Basically what the Vuescan guy did.

Even if we assume that you can come up with a sensor/optic combo that produces resolution equal to a Coolscan (you can't) you still have to make some kind of bed to move the film or the sensor and get everything aligned super-perfectly to hit the center of that shallow macro depth of field, and that just sounds like a pain in the rear end. This way you're not completely re-inventing that wheel. The real problem is the software anyway, there isn't a scanner software package out there that isn't garbage in some way or another. If you're super lucky someone may have come up with a software library that interfaces with the scanner drivers of your choice, in which case you would only have to write a little script that handles auto-cropping and white/black point setting. You would get the convenience of doing that in a high-level language on a processor with actual horsepower instead of some dinky microcontroller in C.

For that matter you can probably write a Python script to batch-edit the image tags anyway, if that's bothering you.

The Coolscans use a 120v power supply, but if you wanted to run on batteries maybe some of the others can run on a 12-16v DC source directly. Have fun accidentally burning out your scanner.

If you really want to go batteryless, I would just buy one of Pentax's new 35mm/medium-format slide duplicators and put it on a DSLR.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 28, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm slowly putting another 8x10 together. I made a couple of sliding box cameras, but ended up hating them, such a pain in the arse to focus with.

I purchased the bellows and SLR macro focusing rack from ebay, the back from the LFF, and I'm building the rest. I've pretty much got the front and rear standards done, along with the back, so just need to get the base and arms cut and screwed together. I plan on it being able to fold up into a manageable size. Here it is so far with the back and focus rack:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
That's super cool spedman. How tricky has it been sourcing everything? I'd love to undertake a project like that but alas I'm not very dextrous with my craftsmanship.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Spedman posted:

I'm slowly putting another 8x10 together. I made a couple of sliding box cameras, but ended up hating them, such a pain in the arse to focus with.

I purchased the bellows and SLR macro focusing rack from ebay, the back from the LFF, and I'm building the rest. I've pretty much got the front and rear standards done, along with the back, so just need to get the base and arms cut and screwed together. I plan on it being able to fold up into a manageable size. Here it is so far with the back and focus rack:

Very nice. You're planning on having tilt/shift movements?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Primo Itch posted:

Very nice. You're planning on having tilt/shift movements?

The front will have rise/fall, tilt and shift (maybe not shift on the very initial build, but I can add it later). While the rear will just have tilt as I want to keep it quite rigid and stable.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

:stonk:

more reading

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

How much interest do you guys think there would be for a portable battery powered scanner that can scan 135 and 120 to DNG onto a memory card. I say portable so that it does not require a host computer/desktop-software and is reasonably sized. Of course it would have to have a LCD screen for preview and settings.

If you wanted to build a "different" film scanner, I think a continuous roll scanner would be more interesting. A single high-resolution pixel row (similar to flatbeds) with good backlight, in a fixed position, and then a motor feed that allows it to automatically scan a whole, uncut roll of negatives in one go. Sufficiently smart software should then also be able to cut the single huge image up into individual frames.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Not sure if this has been posted before
(More than likely) but I lost my poo poo

http://m.youtube.com/v/oCFzNND74oo&fs=1&autoplay=1

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's kinda awesome.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Composing with a TLR at a weird angle is pretty much impossible for me. I couldn't get high enough looking down into my Yashica, so I held it up sideways and looked forward into the viewfinder. I must have stood there for about five straight minutes just trying to figure out which way I needed to angle the camera to get a level shot. :downs:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

404notfound posted:

Composing with a TLR at a weird angle is pretty much impossible for me. I couldn't get high enough looking down into my Yashica, so I held it up sideways and looked forward into the viewfinder. I must have stood there for about five straight minutes just trying to figure out which way I needed to angle the camera to get a level shot. :downs:

Doesn't the Yashica have a sports finder, too? You can usually get to it by pushing down the outward-facing flap, that pushes out the magnifier, further down - locking it into place.
If I were you in such a situation I'd just use that. Better to lose some framing accuracy than to go mad with this poo poo.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So I got a Mamiya TLR for my birthday, which is pretty great.

It took half of a test roll to realise that the shutter wasn't doing anything. Managed to fix that but the rest of the test roll will probably be blurry shots of me peering quizzically down the lens.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

Not sure if this has been posted before
(More than likely) but I lost my poo poo

http://m.youtube.com/v/oCFzNND74oo&fs=1&autoplay=1

I found that guy a while a go while I was learning the tintype process, very much a motivator. I do have a process lens that should cover 20x24… (but I don't have the cash for hundreds of dollars per shot).

He has a ridiculous amount of gear, and seems to be doing cool stuff with it. Like nicely mounting a scanner on a 8x10, or playing round with expanding the spectrum on his cameras.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Talk about large format

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

I found that guy a while a go while I was learning the tintype process, very much a motivator. I do have a process lens that should cover 20x24… (but I don't have the cash for hundreds of dollars per shot).

He has a ridiculous amount of gear, and seems to be doing cool stuff with it. Like nicely mounting a scanner on a 8x10, or playing round with expanding the spectrum on his cameras.

So where we're from, commercially speaking, how viable is it to set up something like that and be self-sufficient if you were to offer services?
I'd imagine it's a hugely risky exercise. If you could land it on a tourism circuit, I'd like to think people would be curious enough to buy into it.

e: how many of you guys use the zone system? I've been trying to learn it but find it pretty tricky because I'm mathematically dyslexic. That, and I don't know developing at all so I find it way over my head.... is simple metering enough or is it a smarter option to nut out the zone system?

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 1, 2014

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

e: how many of you guys use the zone system? I've been trying to learn it but find it pretty tricky because I'm mathematically dyslexic. That, and I don't know developing at all so I find it way over my head.... is simple metering enough or is it a smarter option to nut out the zone system?

Depends on whether you're shooting roll or sheet film. The zone system was really made for sheet film, where you can meter and develop each individual sheet with the appropriate developing parameters. For roll film, I just use the concepts of the zone system to learn where to place the important areas of the scene into the zones that I want them to be, and let the rest of them fall where they may. Negative film usually gives you enough latitude to play around anyway.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

So where we're from, commercially speaking, how viable is it to set up something like that and be self-sufficient if you were to offer services?
I'd imagine it's a hugely risky exercise. If you could land it on a tourism circuit, I'd like to think people would be curious enough to buy into it.

Applying the zone system can be as simple as spot metering an object and deciding how much darker or lighter than middle gray you want it to be. Then there's the people that take it way too far...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

Then there's the people that take it way too far...

:eyepop: This makes my head hurt

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
What A Pocket Computer Can Do For You

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The joys of photography

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

I would say it's completely non-viable to setup a wet plate portrait photography studio. There'd be some novelty interest to start with, but then
I think the customers would almost be non-existent. Having said that, there was (as of two days ago) a tintype portrait bushiness in San Francisco that
was relatively successful, they've just shut down because the photographers running the place want to do something different.

The main reason why I don't think the studio would work is that as a general rule Australians are philistines and suffer heavily from cultural cringe. If your
Australian and want to be successful in Australia, your work better have been given the okay by people from LA/SF/NY/LDN etc. Hence why most creative
people skip the country when they want to work in their chosen field, which only adds the lack of creative industry in Australia.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

big scary monsters posted:

What A Pocket Computer Can Do For You

I poo poo you not, there are guys who buy old Palm Pilots so they can run BTZS ExpoDev for Palm. :spergin:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The joys of photography

Uh, that isn't the up-arrow notation, is it? I hope it isn't. (Well okay, a single up-arrow is the same as exponentiation. Still, don't invoke crazy concepts you don't need.)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

First roll I developed at home in ages. Some funky things going on, but I think that's more the fact that foma curls like a bitch and sucks to scan than anything.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Well poo poo. I tried to stand dev a roll of HP5 tonight. Film came out completely blank and purple. The dev chart I used said 1+100 Rodinal for 120 minutes, which sounded kinda odd, but what have you. Any idea where I hosed it? I'm guessing I should have went 1+100 for an hour?

Edit: After some digging, it looks like this happens if it doesn't dev long enough and you fix the film?

Edit2: BRB drinking myself to death. I just realized that when I asked my roommate to open and hand me the bottle of rodinal she handed me the bottle of fixer. Kill me.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 2, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Casu Marzu posted:

Well poo poo. I tried to stand dev a roll of HP5 tonight. Film came out completely blank and purple. The dev chart I used said 1+100 Rodinal for 120 minutes, which sounded kinda odd, but what have you. Any idea where I hosed it? I'm guessing I should have went 1+100 for an hour?

Edit: After some digging, it looks like this happens if it doesn't dev long enough and you fix the film?

Edit2: BRB drinking myself to death. I just realized that when I asked my roommate to open and hand me the bottle of rodinal she handed me the bottle of fixer. Kill me.

You know that if you let it sit in developer for an hour and then roll it back onto the spool in a darkbag you can shoot the film again, right?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Mr. Despair posted:

You know that if you let it sit in developer for an hour and then roll it back onto the spool in a darkbag you can shoot the film again, right?

Not after having it sit in fixer, no.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

Not after having it sit in fixer, no.

So uh April fools isn't a thing in japan huh?

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
fuckery

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bro

please do more like this

I see you have more like this on your Flickr, love them

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 2, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Yase

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

VomitOnLino posted:

Doesn't the Yashica have a sports finder, too? You can usually get to it by pushing down the outward-facing flap, that pushes out the magnifier, further down - locking it into place.
If I were you in such a situation I'd just use that. Better to lose some framing accuracy than to go mad with this poo poo.

I was pretty close to the subject, so I didn't trust myself to not screw up the focus and parallax with the sports finder. I managed to hold it steady, though it didn't make as compelling an image as I'd hoped:

On the plus side, it looks like cleaning the taking lens has definitely improved everything about the pictures I'm taking, so I didn't end up with a complete dud after all.

• Locked thread