Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

penus de milo posted:

sorry guys i'm still mad as gently caress about the Foodini

Only one of these two things is one of "cooking's more repetitive activities", the only thing this 10 grand machine does is cut your food into silly shapes

even on their own product demo they can't think of a use for it beyond needlessly cutting food into ~wacky dinosaurs~ (or just spent $8 and buy these http://bit.ly/1gXYQQ8)

wouldn't you eat healthier if all your food was in FUN SHAPES

also the only thing i ever eat is dinosaur chicken nuggets because i'm a literal child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

i told you, quite clearly i might add, exactly what you need to do

i've told a shitload of new grads basically that same advice, and they never take it. everyone's convinced they can take shortcuts, that all this is secretly easy and the experts are colluding. believe it til you're blue in the face, experts are built through a long process.

there's at least two tiers of engineers above me. i have a sick feeling calling myself 'senior' because i know i'm not. beyond that there's the old timers you can't sway with any dollar amount, that need an interesting problem and then they're totally on board and really, really want to talk about your problem.

nope. you need to have a compelling cause. it's not enough to have an idea then yell at people for not backing it. if they're not on board, your pitch sucks.

i have a decade of consumer electronics experience. "kickstarter CEO" types seem to think we're still in college and ask me for help like you'd bug a buddy in college. then get all offended and balk when I quote them hours and rate. like i know it took you 5 minutes to answer the question, but for me to do the proper research and give you the professional quality answer you're asking for, it's going to take me 2~4 hours of my decade of experience. that's the smallest amount of time I can really spend on something and have it be meaningful, helpful, transferable knowledge. 1 hour is nothing, 1 hour is us meeting and going over relevant backgrounds, the best work I've done in that kind of time frame is gut check on next steps, "yes that arduino will let you prototype the mechanical side"

blowing time on the internet trying to be funny in front of internet strangers doesn't drain me the way technical work does. those don't come from the same bucket up in my head. you don't get to point at all these words and demand i go fetch the other bucket and give you an equivalent amount from it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ian McLean posted:

I am done with this forum. I have never taken meds and I am tired of hearing it every comment. If just one of you would have seriously backed statpedia with the amount of time spent criticizing people, it probably would have been enough to create snowballing success by now. It is time for me to spend my free time doing more productive things to make this happen.

r.i.p. ian on SA forums.

nobody backed your little project because there was nothing to back. you had nothing to show, and nothing to pitch. potential investors need more than "what if there was a website with statistics?". that's not a business plan, hell it's barely even an idea! what statistics? how is the money spent? how is it going to turn a profit? how sustainable is that income? target audience? etc etc etc... you were asked all these questions multiple times and never once answered any of them. instead all we got was delusional boasts about how you were going to be a millionaire - because you had an idea for a website! maybe nobody wants a site full of user-generated statistics because user-generated content is by definition unreliable. people who want statistics can already google them and get the results direct from the source, so why would they go to your site, let alone pay for it? you think you're some kind of hot-shot ideas guy, but there are a million other people like you who all think having an idea is the really hard part and that actually turning the idea into a functional product is just grunt work for somebody else, or which will just magically happen by itself once money is acquired. ideas are nothing. implementation is everything.

people criticised you because you had no plan. they asked for details and got arrogant brush-offs. people are calling you crazy and telling you to take your meds because you sound, act, and post like a crazy person. you keep saying you want people to invest in your idea, then a page later you're posting some drivel about running a script to spam federalreserve.gov. now you're ranting about hard drive technology. you sound like a conspiracy theorist nutjob, not a reliable project leader. if someone gave you a million dollars they need to be confident that you wouldn't have another funny turn and spend it all on tinfoil hats or magnets to keep the mind control rays out of your head.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
dont listen to the haters ian, i still believe in statpaedia

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

lol you guys are putting more effort into your lovely posts than ian did his whole website

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

penus de milo posted:

sorry guys i'm still mad as gently caress about the Foodini

Only one of these two things is one of "cooking's more repetitive activities", the only thing this 10 grand machine does is cut your food into silly shapes

even on their own product demo they can't think of a use for it beyond needlessly cutting food into ~wacky dinosaurs~ (or just spent $8 and buy these http://bit.ly/1gXYQQ8)

yeah i am amazed yospos isn't more excited about this but i think we've just seen too much poo poo at this point. i showed it to a few friends who don't get a daily update of bad kickstarters and they were floored by how stupid it was

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

power botton posted:

lol you guys are putting more effort into your lovely posts than ian did his whole website

it's crap effort. apparently i'm a better editor drunk on a friday afternoon than 6 am on a tuesday, that's a sad fact i could've done without. "college/college", "answer" instead of ask.

anyway here's a kickstarter my friends are doing: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guardyen/metawear-production-ready-wearables-in-30-minutes

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ian McLean posted:

I am done with this forum. I have never taken meds and I am tired of hearing it every comment. If just one of you would have seriously backed statpedia with the amount of time spent criticizing people, it probably would have been enough to create snowballing success by now. It is time for me to spend my free time doing more productive things to make this happen.

r.i.p. ian on SA forums.

people are mean

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

JawnV6 posted:

i told you, quite clearly i might add, exactly what you need to do

i've told a shitload of new grads basically that same advice, and they never take it. everyone's convinced they can take shortcuts, that all this is secretly easy and the experts are colluding. believe it til you're blue in the face, experts are built through a long process.

there's at least two tiers of engineers above me. i have a sick feeling calling myself 'senior' because i know i'm not. beyond that there's the old timers you can't sway with any dollar amount, that need an interesting problem and then they're totally on board and really, really want to talk about your problem.

nope. you need to have a compelling cause. it's not enough to have an idea then yell at people for not backing it. if they're not on board, your pitch sucks.

i have a decade of consumer electronics experience. "kickstarter CEO" types seem to think we're still in college and ask me for help like you'd bug a buddy in college. then get all offended and balk when I quote them hours and rate. like i know it took you 5 minutes to answer the question, but for me to do the proper research and give you the professional quality answer you're asking for, it's going to take me 2~4 hours of my decade of experience. that's the smallest amount of time I can really spend on something and have it be meaningful, helpful, transferable knowledge. 1 hour is nothing, 1 hour is us meeting and going over relevant backgrounds, the best work I've done in that kind of time frame is gut check on next steps, "yes that arduino will let you prototype the mechanical side"

blowing time on the internet trying to be funny in front of internet strangers doesn't drain me the way technical work does. those don't come from the same bucket up in my head. you don't get to point at all these words and demand i go fetch the other bucket and give you an equivalent amount from it.

just get a bigger bucket

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

c u @ hackernews ian. you know it's real because it has hackers in the name. those guys must be real computer pros like whoah

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

BONGHITZ posted:

just get a bigger bucket

you have two buckets, one holds seven gallons and the other thirteen. with no other tools, how can you measure exactly two gallons of fluid?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

uncurable mlady posted:

you have two buckets, one holds seven gallons and the other thirteen. with no other tools, how can you measure exactly two gallons of fluid?

all these problems are incredibly wasteful esp when you could get your 3d printer to just make you a 2 gallon bucket smh

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

it's crap effort. apparently i'm a better editor drunk on a friday afternoon than 6 am on a tuesday, that's a sad fact i could've done without. "college/college", "answer" instead of ask.

anyway here's a kickstarter my friends are doing: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guardyen/metawear-production-ready-wearables-in-30-minutes

i wasnt gonna pledge money but drat those code snippets prove that theyre serious

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
looks legitimate which is way more than you can say for 99% of kickstarters

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

A tiny ARM + Bluetooth LE Platform for developing Wearable products (and more) that is certified and ready to ship to customers.

tell them to fix the grammar in that sentence and maybe i will read the rest of their kickstarter

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
"BOM optimized" === twenty loving bucks for a mini arduino and an api

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

uncurable mlady posted:

"BOM optimized"

looking forward to ECHELON organising a surprise 3am gun party at these guys houses.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

uncurable mlady posted:

what is my motivation?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

uncurable mlady posted:

die hard 3 was a bad movie

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

still the 2nd best die hard though

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Sweevo posted:

nobody backed your little project because there was nothing to back. you had nothing to show, and nothing to pitch. potential investors need more than "what if there was a website with statistics?". that's not a business plan, hell it's barely even an idea! what statistics? how is the money spent? how is it going to turn a profit? how sustainable is that income? target audience? etc etc etc... you were asked all these questions multiple times and never once answered any of them. instead all we got was delusional boasts about how you were going to be a millionaire - because you had an idea for a website! maybe nobody wants a site full of user-generated statistics because user-generated content is by definition unreliable. people who want statistics can already google them and get the results direct from the source, so why would they go to your site, let alone pay for it? you think you're some kind of hot-shot ideas guy, but there are a million other people like you who all think having an idea is the really hard part and that actually turning the idea into a functional product is just grunt work for somebody else, or which will just magically happen by itself once money is acquired. ideas are nothing. implementation is everything.

people criticised you because you had no plan. they asked for details and got arrogant brush-offs. people are calling you crazy and telling you to take your meds because you sound, act, and post like a crazy person. you keep saying you want people to invest in your idea, then a page later you're posting some drivel about running a script to spam federalreserve.gov. now you're ranting about hard drive technology. you sound like a conspiracy theorist nutjob, not a reliable project leader. if someone gave you a million dollars they need to be confident that you wouldn't have another funny turn and spend it all on tinfoil hats or magnets to keep the mind control rays out of your head.

This business plan is a bit outdated (from before my current occupation). Have not really been that comfortable sharing it publically, but anyways, here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6DR76NleZQsUHZvYnVFbmJrTGc/edit?usp=sharing

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Ian McLean posted:

This business plan is a bit outdated (from before my current occupation). Have not really been that comfortable sharing it publically, but anyways, here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6DR76NleZQsUHZvYnVFbmJrTGc/edit?usp=sharing

omg, a ghost

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
80 million users by the end of 2015

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
one percent of the world's population

you just weren't ambitious enough

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 2, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ian McLean posted:

This business plan is a bit outdated (from before my current occupation). Have not really been that comfortable sharing it publically
why

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

have you showed this to your shrink or at least talked about your stated goals

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

someone will steal it and make easy money off his hard work

Dec 26, 2012

coffeetable posted:

one percent of the world's population

you just weren't ambitious enough

first, 1% of the world

tomorrow, the world!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

here's a stat Ian, you're the gayest person in yospos, and there's a lot of people on that list

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ya its like entirely male cat ladies oh boy has the bar been set

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

swot

swot that twot

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

here's a stat Ian, you're the gayest person in yospos, and there's a lot of people on that list

im gay

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
there is nothing wrong with being gay

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

stoutfish posted:

there is nothing wrong with being gay

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i'm actually not all that gay :gerty:

though that is admittedly by the standards of this forum

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 2, 2014

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
With the funding mentioned in the proposal, I believe 1% is achievable. I get yelled at for something, then I show results, then I get yelled at and criticized more. It is just a constant berate. This forum feels like the father that never approved of his son who tries so hard. Being constantly belittled is wearing.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/statpedia-post-stats-on-anything

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
Hey it looks like you put a lot of effort into that business pl TAKE YOUR MEDS PLEASE.

you know we aren't joking right? you could get a lot of extra productivity out of being properly diagnosed and treated. there's nothing to be ashamed of.

e: that mobile board is seriously cool, like my gf already would like a fitbit, it'd be a neat project to make an analogue so poor that she said "thanks honey" and went and bought a real one instead. but that's on my end.

Forums Barber fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 2, 2014

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ian is exactly the kind of person i hope would get loads of vc cash (because it would be hilarious)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ian McLean posted:

With the funding mentioned in the proposal, I believe 1% is achievable. I get yelled at for something, then I show results, then I get yelled at and criticized more. It is just a constant berate. This forum feels like the father that never approved of his son who tries so hard. Being constantly belittled is wearing.

i also believe that 1% is achievable. you should be able to make 500 dollars no sweat :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Ian McLean posted:

why haven't you taken this to the vcs, they'll love your gumption

• Locked thread