Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Huh. Who knew sea turtle eggs bounce? That looks like a bag of ping pong balls to me.

Actually, they do bounce like ping pong balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

If there's any evidence that it happened because of OH BABY then I missed it, but he did have to stop the strip because he couldn't afford to pay to host it on GoComics since his wife divorced him and he lost his job:

I'm not going to lie: I like OH BABY. Not because it's good, because god knows it's nowhere near it. But it's bad in this perfect, surreal way. Like a dada masterpiece, but played entirely straight. It's fascinating to read precisely because of its specific, utterly bizarre flavor of awful.

Yeah I don't have evidence for it being the cause of the divorce other than the fact that Oh, Baby itself is probably grounds for divorce for just showing it to someone, let alone creating the god drat thing. :gonk:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
God, drawing that was the high point of his day.

I'm not going to lie: I like OH BABY. Not because it's good, because god knows it's nowhere near it. But it's bad in this perfect, surreal way. Like a dada masterpiece, but played entirely straight. It's fascinating to read precisely because of its specific, utterly bizarre flavor of awful.

I agree with all of this, even if it means I'm a masochist. It's weirdly intriguing.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'll agree with this as well. The first time I read the "pooter sounds" one I was filled with such incomprehension and disbelief, I didn't want to accept that it wasn't an edit even after I checked GoComics. I even thought that maybe I'd misunderstood the creator's original intent. My mind did not want to accept that what I was looking at really existed.

Hey! Here's some other comics!

Juliet Jones

Nice hat.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

gently caress Your Website posted:

Did you just discover it or something? It was posted here and universally hated already so a lot of us have already seen it, since it ended awhile ago. Even terrible comics only have so much impact.

Honestly, I'm so sick of 9 Chickweed Lane and Kevin and Kell and Mike Du Jour and Gilchrist's Nancy that I've dragged out this horrible thing just to put them in the shade. And the irritating thing is, I'm finding Oh Baby more interesting as a window into one brainless man's imagination than having to look at Deathany's stupid smirk again, or reading entire pages of Retail discussion. I've already ditched posting three strips this year because they were monotonous and dumb, and I'll probably ditch Oh Baby before going through the entire four year run, but in the meantime I want to know what it's like to post the worst poo poo day after day after day.

Rarg.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
9 Chickweed Lane, like Nancy, only exists as fodder for our cruel and unusual editing.
More to come.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Julet Esqu posted:

I'll agree with this as well. The first time I read the "pooter sounds" one I was filled with such incomprehension and disbelief, I didn't want to accept that it wasn't an edit even after I checked GoComics. I even thought that maybe I'd misunderstood the creator's original intent. My mind did not want to accept that what I was looking at really existed.

Oh sure the first time, but it's just tired reruns to us now. The sad dude gave up his creepy dream a long time ago, reposting in hopes of eliciting the same effect just comes off sorta desperate, especially when failing to get the desired reaction results in quintupling up on the posting.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan

Why can't Tommy get a job running a multinational corporation? These jobs are out there! Widen your net, Tommy!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Say Nothing posted:

9 Junji Lane.

Hey Brooke, your cartoon strip blends perfectly with Japanese horror manga. What does that tell you?

We've seen a lot of different edit themes in the comic megathreads, but this is shaping up to be my favorite. :allears:

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

I've been struggling with how to describe why I dislike this strip so much, and I think it's because the art is trying so hard to be "good", but ends up looking absolutely boring. Look at that expression in the last panel. Totally blank and emotionless, but the art in general seems to have a lot of effort put into it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Isn't the artist actually a graphic designer or something? That's probably a big reason the art has very little impact panel to panel. Not to mention the inker is a complete novice.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The writer is also completely incapable of giving the audience a reason to emotionally connect with the comic or the characters on any level, so it's a perfect trifecta of incompetence.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

You were off by one president by dumb luck Gil.

Retail

Because you would know more about it than the average person, and even if home office didn't tell you anything the internet exists and you would have a vested interest in keeping up to date on the latest developments?

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

What would you know about breathing, talking trash can?

Dustin

Wow now that woman really looks like Ed in drag.

On the Fastrack

Didn't Dethany already ask the manifestation of her ancient blog posting from the 90s and determine it was because someone betrayed her trust?

Safe Havens

We don't really need a whole week of this, unless it ends with them deciding to become partners in crime and later backstab each other over their ill-gotten gains.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Code Jockey posted:

We've seen a lot of different edit themes in the comic megathreads, but this is shaping up to be my favorite. :allears:
I've got a few more ideas.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Beetle Bailey

What are they supposed to be progressing toward?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tiggum posted:

What are they supposed to be progressing toward?

The afterlife.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Holy poo poo. :staredog:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was saving this image for an edit, but it seems One Big Happy beat me to it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I actually find Junji Ito's stuff less scary than the stuff that turns up in the newspaper comics.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
So did Morrie have a huge buffer or are these Wee Pals reruns?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
^ Yeah, he had months of buffer.

Fingerpori

- I'm still at work... watching data getting reintegrated...
- Homosexuality is against the natural order!

"To reintegrate" is the best translation for eheyttää I could come up with on a short notice. It means "to defragment" and I wasn't aware it had a meaning beyond being a computer term. Looking at the word literally, it means something like "to make whole/intact/unbroken again".

Fok_It

I despair every time I have to translate the word kuumotus.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Wow now that woman really looks like Ed in drag.

The DMV near me has always been very efficient, and I've never had to wait more than a few minutes even if there was a line. I live in a pretty rural area, and I get that they'll be busier and slower in cities or whatever, but is my experience really that abnormal? I've never understood why people complain about the DMV.

Well, okay, I understand why this strip is complaining about it. "Ah, I'm so glad I came up with this strip about how lazy young people are!" *spends thirty seconds writing a week of gags, grabs golf bag*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Third Murderer posted:

The DMV near me has always been very efficient, and I've never had to wait more than a few minutes even if there was a line. I live in a pretty rural area, and I get that they'll be busier and slower in cities or whatever, but is my experience really that abnormal? I've never understood why people complain about the DMV.

Well, okay, I understand why this strip is complaining about it. "Ah, I'm so glad I came up with this strip about how lazy young people are!" *spends thirty seconds writing a week of gags, grabs golf bag*
I think it depends, but my experiences in city DMVs are to generally expect to wait a half hour most of the time. Not great, but not terrible, either. The one I went to in VA would pre-screen everyone coming in the door to make sure they had the necessary paperwork for whatever transaction was being done, which would usually cut out a few people. In DC, there's a new resident program to go in before their regular hours and get everything done, which took me about 20 minutes total (though I had to go back because my car title hadn't been sent over by my finance company yet).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

In DC, they have also instituted a few online services, like renewing registrations and such.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

tiistai posted:

"To reintegrate" is the best translation for eheyttää I could come up with on a short notice. It means "to defragment" and I wasn't aware it had a meaning beyond being a computer term. Looking at the word literally, it means something like "to make whole/intact/unbroken again".

Eheyttäminen is the Finnish term for conversion therapy.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Weighing in on the That A Baby Oh Baby scandal, I've got no problem with it being posted. It's amazingly stupid (save for the edits), but, so are half the other strips that are in existence today. I would put it on par with Computoon, but most of the time I actually laugh at Computoon -- strictly because of Boyce's bizarre, illucid, and incomprehensible captions.

I say just post 'em all.

Jane's World

Welp, we can kind of see where this is going.

Non Sequitur

:ughh:

Heavenly Nostrils is late. Woo!

Kliban

:v:

9 Chickweed Lane 4/2/2003

This is just loving bizarre, Brooke.

Zits

Welcome to life, Jeremy.

Kevin & Kell

:stonklol:

Nemi

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 2, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Doc V posted:

Eheyttäminen is the Finnish term for conversion therapy.

I guess "converting data" would have kind of worked then. Oh well.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 12, 1927)

Peanuts (April 5, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

A model of restraint not to make the punchline "bazoombas" again.

Popeye

And speaking of hard blows, here's Rip Haywire!

Pogo (April 4, 1956)

Out Our Way (September 22-23, 1924)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Weighing in on the That A Baby scandal, I've got no problem with it being posted. It's amazingly stupid (save for the edits), but, so are half the other strips that are in existence today. I would put it on par with Computoon, but most of the time I actually laugh at Computoon -- strictly because of Boyce's bizarre, illucid, and incomprehensible captions.

Thatababy is actually the title of yet another comic about a baby. We don't talk about Thatababy.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
WHY DOES IT HAVE NO FACE

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Thatababy is actually the title of yet another comic about a baby. We don't talk about Thatababy.

Crap, yeah Oh Baby is what I meant.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Dragongem posted:

WHY DOES IT HAVE NO FACE

We don't like to talk about it. :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Green Intern posted:

In DC, they have also instituted a few online services, like renewing registrations and such.
I'd be shocked to find a state that doesn't have online renewals for that sort of thing.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

Welcome to life, Jeremy.
Actually, it's a good question. As a dependent, he doesn't have to report his income if it is below $6100 for the year, which at minimum wage, he'd be well below even working full time for the full summer, which the strip suggests he didn't.

Now, presumably he would want to *file* taxes as it is likely his employer deducted from his wages based on his W-4 withholdings (granted, he could file for no deductions, but that would still leave him without paying any taxes), which he would get as a return. If, for some reason, he was working under the table, he would just be back to not having to file. I can't really see any scenario in which he'd have to *pay* taxes.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

This is your regular reminder that the public voted for this to be syndicated instead of Heavenly Nostrils.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Endless Mike posted:

I'd be shocked to find a state that doesn't have online renewals for that sort of thing.

Actually, it's a good question. As a dependent, he doesn't have to report his income if it is below $6100 for the year, which at minimum wage, he'd be well below even working full time for the full summer, which the strip suggests he didn't.

Now, presumably he would want to *file* taxes as it is likely his employer deducted from his wages based on his W-4 withholdings (granted, he could file for no deductions, but that would still leave him without paying any taxes), which he would get as a return. If, for some reason, he was working under the table, he would just be back to not having to file. I can't really see any scenario in which he'd have to *pay* taxes.

At least as of the mid-2000s, as a dependent you couldn't claim the standard deduction, so you effectively pay taxes on the full amount of your earnings. You also didn't get any tax refund when Bush signed those into law either. I learned this when, one year, when I worked part time in fast food, I had to pay more in taxes than my parents (they were working on their own business that wasn't making enough for them to have take home pay.)

EDIT: Wikipedia disagrees so maybe something changed from what Turbotax said back in the day.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 2, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This is your regular reminder that the public voted for this to be syndicated instead of Heavenly Nostrils.

That's actually pretty funny.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

At least as of the mid-2000s, as a dependent you couldn't claim the standard deduction, so you effectively pay taxes on the full amount of your earnings. You also didn't get any tax refund when Bush signed those into law either. I learned this when, one year, when I worked part time in fast food, I had to pay more in taxes than my parents (they were working on their own business that wasn't making enough for them to have take home pay.)

EDIT: Wikipedia disagrees so maybe something changed from what Turbotax said back in the day.
The standard deduction for a dependent is the greater of $1000 or your earned income plus $350, but not more than $6100. This may have changed between now and the mid-2000s.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Wait, Rose is the cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Imagine it!

The first appearance (kind of) of Milquetoast!
Man, 'Cockleberry Cockroach' is a terrible, terrible name.

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Adrian Raeside presents: The Other Coast.

Matt Janz's Out Of The Gene Pool is in reruns.

And Over The Hedge manages to make golf jokes more unbearable than usual.

• Locked thread