Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's all of Mike Judge's movies in a nutshell. A collection of genuinely funny moments that somehow manage to not become more than the whole.

Yeah it's really strange. It has more good gags than I can think of at the moment- you've got Ex-Professional-Wrestler President firing an M60 into the ceiling at a speech, The Dildozer, a Costco that is a sprawling complex that requires a light rail to traverse, "Ow, My Balls".... but the thing just doesn't really coalesce all that well somehow.

I thought Office Space came together pretty well, though. Kinda an exception I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bunleigh posted:

Which might just as well be considered newly-covered people if you ask me, given what we know about the kind of worthless poo poo policies that got cancelled.

I've heard this mentioned quite a bit. Can you elaborate on it for me? What did the old (poo poo) plans cover? Just routine visits and antibiotics and things? Or nothing at all?

Right wing media is so strange.

I hear Cain's show a lot since it's on when I drive my kid to school and that's the only time I flip over to this sort of crap. Yesterday, I think it was, Cain was hollering "News Nugget!" and played a clip of Biden saying "Obama should be anointed sainthood for the patience he's shown". Everyone in the audience got the joke and laughed but I guess Herman thought Joe was serious. At least he played it that way.

Also, I heard a tiny little bit of Rush today and for those who think he doesn't present himself as a truth telling journalist, the promo segment called him 'America's Newscaster' (in a deep voice and with a swooshie sound effect), so this whole idea that Rush doesn't present himself as a newsman is bullshit. He only stops doing that and plays the "I'm just an entertainer" card when he steps in the dumb horseshit that spills out of his mouth every day.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

I've heard this mentioned quite a bit. Can you elaborate on it for me? What did the old (poo poo) plans cover? Just routine visits and antibiotics and things? Or nothing at all?

I don't know much, but from what I hear, a lot of these plans were just discount plans, meaning you paid them money to get a discount on things that you would still have to pay out of pocket for. Basically insurance companies being predatory.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BiggerBoat posted:

They covered cheap, basic things like office visits and presciptions (often with a high co-pay), but when you ran into serious problems they had 1) very high deductibles (pay that first $4000 for your kidney stone out of your own pocket), 2) limited reimbursement percentages (enjoy paying 40% of the amount above $4000), and 3) low overall limits (they'll pay for 60% of your surgery and hospitalization up to $25000, after which its all on you, dogg). Add in very limited networks and proactive efforts to throw you off your insurance once you start using it (here's a doctor's note from nine years ago that you sometimes had a stiff shoulder - pre-existing condition, you're insurance is cancelled effective immediately, good luck paying 100% of your bill now) and you've got something that almost useless, yet costs you a couple hundred dollars a month.

It's meant to give you the peace of mind of "having health insurance" - and cheaply, too! - but once you actually try to use it you're in for a world of hurt.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
A lot of the canceled plans were the "catastrophic" ones. They did not cover any sort of office visits or prescriptions. It was basically, "get in a car accident/have a stroke, and we'll cover everything after the first $10,000". It was just a way for people to say they had insurance, but still end up filing for bankruptcy as soon as they really did need it. And of course, people did end up using it because it didn't really cover any preventative care or maintenance.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: Here's Frank in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Hey, Frank, great to have out program. Hi.

CALLER: Hi, Rush. I thought this would be a quicker way to talk to the president by calling you on my cell phone. I believe that Ted Cruz is exactly right, in the sense that Obama has not addressed the issue of health care. I think he has made out by trying to scare Americans into participating in Obamacare by saying, "If you have a medical issue, you could financially be decimated," which is true.

RUSH: "One sickness away from bankruptcy," Obama said.

CALLER: Right. But I would say that our main problem with health care -- which is a great system, but this is my opinion -- is the insurance companies have driven the cost of health care out of sight. So, in fact, he is really protecting the insurance companies and what they're charging and is giving the bill to working Americans.

RUSH: Well, there is some truth to that. Why do you think that is?

CALLER: Well, it's human. It certainly was easy for him.

RUSH: Well, no, let's take your premise. If he's protecting the insurance companies and making sure that premiums go up and stay up and the American people getting socked for it, why would Obama do that, do you think? When he was trying to make everybody think it's gonna be cheaper, $2500 premium cheaper, keep your doctor, keep your plan... I mean, he's lying left and right over this thing, while the insurance companies are, at the moment, enjoying these new higher premiums.

CALLER: Well, by their own definition, doesn't that make him a Republican because he's defending Big Business?

RUSH: No.

CALLER: Well, I'm just... I obviously just made a joke. But I mean --

RUSH: Let me take over here, because you've got a good point. I don't know if you know it or not, but you've got a good point. The first premise that you stated, though, I would disagree with. You said the insurance companies have driven up premiums in our health care system. I don't think that's true.

I mean, they've clearly played a role, but it's the government being involved. It is the magic of the third-party payer that has made many Americans think it's free. So the patient doesn't have to be worried about what things really cost. It's not true for everybody.

But a lot of Americans have not worried what things cost as they would if they were paying for it out of pocket, because the insurance is paying for it. Now, the part that they had to pay of each illness or trip to the doctor or whatever was probably ridiculously expensive, but it was only a small percentage of the total bill, so they were able to rationalize it.

"And thank God for insurance or I wouldn't be able to afford any of this." So the insurance companies benefited that way. But it's the government being involved that has driven prices up.
In any other insurance field, like auto, or life, or what have you, you don't have anywhere near commensurate prices. But health insurance is through-the-roof obscene.

Now, is the government involved in auto insurance? No. Is the government involved in life insurance? No. Is the government involved in any other kind of insurance for the most part other than health care? No. So I think the root of the problem here has been government for 50 years being involved in this. I mean, it's just ballooned and steamrolled and snowballed to the point that Americans felt their boss was paying for it.

It was a benefit, or the insurance company was paying for it. But whatever, at some point in our past, health treatment and paying for it ceased to have any linkage to the market. Now, in any other walk of life -- be it buying a car, or renting a hotel room, or buying anything -- there are tiers of prices based on what people can afford. There are cheap hotels; there are five-star hotels.

But if you want a hotel room somewhere there's gonna be one you can afford. It's priced that way. The market works. And the vast majority of hotel rooms anywhere are going to be middle range, lower range price. That's what people could afford. That's what people have indicated they're willing to pay. Imagine if there was government hotel insurance.

And let's say that some Democrat someday decided that everybody was entitled to a five-star hotel room whenever they stay in a hotel, and that if you couldn't afford it you were gonna get hotel insurance and somebody's gonna pay for it for you. Soon, it wouldn't take long before the price of a five-star hotel room would not be based on what people could pay for it.

Well, at some point in our past, health care ceased to have anything to do with affordability. Too many people were making too much money. It didn't matter. The person actually getting the treatment wasn't the end payer, so there didn't have to be any market force or market relationship. And the quickest fix for health care is to return to market-force-based cost.

That's based on what people can afford. Nobody gets paid if people can't afford the price. Nobody's gonna sell X if people (the market they're being aimed at) can't afford it. Well, that ceased mattering in health care 30/40 years ago, and as that ceased, the assumption was that the cost didn't matter because you had health insurance. Somebody else was paying for it. Other people's money was paying for it.

Somebody you'd not even known was paying for it. But somebody was paying for it. And then you came to think you were entitled to it because you kept hearing, "Well, my God! If our Constitution provides you a lawyer when you can't afford one, then by God they ought to provide you a doctor when you get sick!" Everyone said, "Yeah, right on, Zeke!" So everybody started to think it was an entitlement.

When you got sick, the United States of America owed you a doctor.

When you needed an operation, the United States of America owed you the operation.

Because you're an American!

When you needed a tooth pulled, the United States of America owed you. And then when you needed to go get medicine for whatever, the United States of America owed you that medicine. And that became the mind-set of millions and millions of America, exactly as designed by the American left and the Democrat Party. Soon, it didn't take long, health care expenses ballooned to the point that very few people could afford it on their own. Well, that wasn't the way health care was for the vast majority of hundreds of years of this country.

For the vast majority of time in this country, health care was affordable. The things that weren't, of course, were emergencies, catastrophic events, long term. And that's what you had insurance for, was the stuff you couldn't afford. But it didn't take long people had insurance for what they could afford, which makes no sense whatsoever. Health care ought to be like anything else. You want it, you pay for it. Like I'm sick right now. I'll just use myself. I've got a cold. I'm not gonna waste anybody's money, nor mine, going to the doctor. I know what's going on. But the way it is now, on the first day of something like this everybody trucks off to the doctor, demands a test, demands an examination and some medicine, and they think somebody should pay for it. And you can't blame people, it's human nature.

When people think that they're entitled to something because they've been told and they have voted for people who have promised them that they're entitled and they're gonna have access to all this. But the fact that most of health care is priced beyond the average American's ability to pay is the single problem that needs to be fixed. And if were it, then you wouldn't need the government making things fair or right or any of that, just like you don't need the government selling auto insurance. The government wasn't involved in any business. They couldn't be involved. The Fourth Amendment. They were not allowed to require people to buy things or services.

Now, the second question that I asked you, why would Obama be ensuring high prices for the insurance companies? Why in the world in all of this wouldn't Obama be trying to guarantee low prices for his voters? That's what he promised 'em. But instead the insurance companies are benefiting. But if you talk to them, some of them are, some of them are not. But as premiums skyrocket and health insurance companies decide to get out of various segments of the business, it is clear that what's happening here. Obama needed the insurance companies and the hospitals from the very first days of trying to sell this. He needed them on board for his massive health care reform. He needed them to be partners in the advertising. He needed them to be partners in the message.

If you're an insurance company and here you've got Barack Obama and he's promising that every American, by law, is gonna have to have insurance, you are an insurance company, you don't have to do anything. The president is giving you 35, 43, whatever the number is, million brand-new customers, and you don't have to do one penny's worth of advertising. All you gotta do is support the president.

So even if you are a conservative ideological guy, you run an insurance company, on the one hand you've got the dilemma, oh, my God, the government's getting big and intrusive and it's getting involved in my business. On the other hand, they're gonna deliver me 35 to 40 million new customers and I don't have to do jack whatever for it? What do you think that guy's gonna do? They partnered with Obama and he's paying them off, before he wipes them out. That is where this is eventually headed.

In a number of years, maybe a decade, a little longer, if nothing changes here, there isn't gonna be a private sector health insurance market except for the very few who are very wealthy. They will always be able to buy what they want. But you won't. There won't even be health insurance, really. The government will act as the payee. The single payer. You will have your Medicare card and whenever you get sick, here's what's gonna change. For the first time in your life, you're not gonna be treated, depending on various factors: your age, your overall health, how you voted, who knows how they'll do it.

Right now the assumption is, 'cause the Democrats care, is that everybody gets health care. Once the government totally controls it is when the death panels come into forefront existence, and that is where your mother at age 95 will be turned down for a pacemaker because it's cost prohibitive to spend that kind of money on somebody that's gonna only live a year or two, statistically. So, here, give her a pain pill and tell her to chill out. Obama's already said that's what they're gonna end up doing. He said that on prime time TV on ABC back in 2010.

When the government has full control over this is when an increasing number of sick people are not going to be treated. That's where this is all headed. Right now, Obama needs the insurance companies working with these exchanges, so he's keeping prices up to make it worth their while. Each developing stage of this is gonna make insurance companies less and less necessary. I don't know whether they know it or not, the insurance companies. I have to assume they're not idiots and they know it and they're just trying to make their big score while they can 'cause they know what's coming their way. But they sold their souls back in 2010 for this. Some did, not all, but some did.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/01/insurance_industry_sold_its_soul_to_obama
You see, the problem here is that people feel that they are entitled to be in good health. Those damned liberals are jacking up the price by subsidizing those that can't afford it! The answer here is of course to end regulation of the market, and let the invisible hand bring prices down to a level of which people can afford. Nevermind if thousands die in the interim while the market finds that sweet spot, at least in the end we will be free :911:

In all seriousness, there were some shreds of truth in this exchange (healthcare costs are too drat high, in a single-payer system the government pays for everything, etc.) but like usual Limbaugh twists it towards the apocalyptic and also throws in a dose of "gently caress you parasite!! how dare you think being healthy is a right to have in a first world country?!!!?!:byodood:"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Re: Junk Health Insurance - here's Roy Edroso doing a fanciful (if depressingly accurate) illustration of the sort of coverage that a typical cheap useless insurance gets you, as told through the voice of a typical working-class Fox viewer.

alicublog posted:

Our guest today is Greta Frost, who says she's angry that President Obama took away her health care plan that she was very happy with. Greta, can you tell us what happened?

Thank you, Dana. Well, I work as a cashier at a diner and we were all getting along quite fine without a health plan until Darla, one of the waitresses, got a goiter and the hospital costs got so much she had to move to a shipping container over by the rail yard and now the only kind of bath she can get is in the sink in our Ladies' Room. So I went shopping for a group plan, but since so many of the workers at the diner are young and believe all that Obamacare nonsense they didn't want to go in on it, so I put together an application with some ladies here in Durham who like to get together and watch Modern Family every week.

We got a policy from a company called ClarioCare, which was a division of Shepard's Heating and Cooling, and while $310 a month sounds like a lot of money, it was much better than what the others were charging, and I found that it suited my needs. Naturally there were some things they couldn't cover, like my hysterectomy. And I understand that, they're a business, they have to make money same as we all do.

But they were there for me in other ways. For example, last year I cut my finger pretty bad on a slicer at work, and they shipped me next-day air a big box of Band-Aids, or I should say Curad strips. When I wrote back and told them that the Curad strips didn't stick very well to my skin, they wrote right back to apologize and explained that all their Curad strips had got soaked in Hurricane Sandy, and they sent another big box of Curad strips and a tub of Elmer's Glue-All. So I felt like they were really looking out for me.

Well, last week I got this letter from ClarioCare and I was fit to be tied because it said thanks to Obama, not only were they going to get rid of my policy, but they were getting out of the insurance business altogether to concentrate on heating and cooling and also real estate, and they sent me a free invitation to a seminar about that as a parting gift. I appreciated the gesture but what I did not appreciate was Obama taking away this insurance plan that I was very happy with. If I cut myself again, or, God forbid, get cancer, who's going to send me Curad strips? So I haven't even been to that Obamacare website which I hear doesn't work anyway, and I'm not going to call them on the phone or send in any forms. Instead I'm going around to all the talk shows that the nice people from that Foundation want to put me on, and tell people my story, and I'm sure once they've heard it, they'll agree that the answer to all our health care problems in this country is health savings accounts and tort reform.

From Edroso's essential "Alicublog" website: http://alicublog.blogspot.com/2013/11/vox-populi.html

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!

Rush posted:

There is no hard, fast science. Therefore there is no science and isn't settled, and science cannot be the result of a consensus. Science is not up for a vote. It is or it isn't. Just because 98% of scientists agree on something doesn't make it -- that's not at all how the scientific theory is vetted, any scientific theory.

That's it. I'm done. The final straw, right here folks.

edit: being a scientist and having ignorant (willful or otherwise) people try to explain how science works is incredibly aggravating.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

kik2dagroin posted:

In all seriousness, there were some shreds of truth in this exchange (healthcare costs are too drat high, in a single-payer system the government pays for everything, etc.) but like usual Limbaugh twists it towards the apocalyptic and also throws in a dose of "gently caress you parasite!! how dare you think being healthy is a right to have in a first world country?!!!?!:byodood:"

You can't get devastatingly sick if you don't make bad lifestyle choices. :smug: Just pop a couple of NyQuil and hit the hay and you'll be fine.

Axe Master posted:

That's it. I'm done. The final straw, right here folks.

edit: being a scientist and having ignorant (willful or otherwise) people try to explain how science works is incredibly aggravating.

If even ONE SCIENTIST IN THE WHOLE WORLD disagrees with you, then we CAN'T REALLY KNOW FOR SURE, which means you are wrong. And I am right. I have no clue what I'm talking about, but I'm still right (somebody told me I was).

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
I just want to fly a banner that says "SCIENCE CANNOT BE THE RESULT OF CONSENSUS ~ RUSH LIMBAUGH, NOTED SCIENTIST" over every loving city in every nation.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
He's not a scientist, he just has great instincts. :pseudo:

"Rush posted:

Well, I appreciate that. He's basically saying my instincts are so right on, I don't even need to know what I'm talking about, I'm right anyway. That's what you're saying, right? I may not know what I'm talking about, but I'm right anyway.

:eng99:

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 1, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Noted PostModernist Rush Limbaugh

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
"I May Not Know What I'm Talking About, But I'm Right Anyway"- Right Wing Media

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

But THESE scientists(a mere fraction of a percent, undoubtedly backed by industry or industry-funded groups) disagree!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
9 out of 10 doctors say smoking is bad for you. It's not settled science.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Look at how he runs that caller, genius. He always does it just like he says, letting the "good" callers on but never letting them take control of the conversation. He can sense when they're about to lapse into total incoherence, then he takes over and presents their own incoherent ideas with total confidence.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Colbert's genuine intelligence and comedic talent is going to waste at times on the Report me thinks. You literally can just repeatedly interchange segments from the show with actual quotes from wingnuts and not be able to differentiate the parody from the reality in the slightest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeee-up.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SedanChair posted:

Look at how he runs that caller, genius. He always does it just like he says, letting the "good" callers on but never letting them take control of the conversation. He can sense when they're about to lapse into total incoherence, then he takes over and presents their own incoherent ideas with total confidence.

One of the things I actually appreciate Limbaugh a little bit for is that he seems to be a lot smarter than Mark Levin. Levin has trouble understanding about 50% of what his callers are saying. They'll be calling in to agree with him, and he'll cut them off to argue with some point about it he misunderstood. Or he'll be talking about a thing for like 10 minutes, take a call on it, caller will mention a thing that logically follows from the thing that Levin talked about, and Levin will start saying, "What the hell does X have to do with it? That's not what I was talking about."

Levin seems to treat his callers with disdain. Limbaugh seems like he's having a good time usually shooting the poo poo with people. I guess maybe because Limbaugh's entire thing is shooting the poo poo about the bad man in the White House whereas Levin has delusions he's "saving the country."

Limbaugh is willfully dumb as a rock about every single thing he talks about, but he seems "willfully dumb" rather than "dumb as a loving post but doesn't know it."

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh God I forgot about this commercial even back than I thought this was kind of hosed up

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

We're about due for a new thread or title change and this is perfect but I don't know how to change the thread title though and I'm way too busy at the moment to start a new one.

Mods? Anyone?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Global warming is unscientific nonsense.

Everyone knows bad weather is actually caused by gays.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Oh God I forgot about this commercial even back than I thought this was kind of hosed up

Kind of hosed up? I just watched it for the first time and there's literally nothing about it that isn't condescending 1%er superman horseshit. The slogan at the end with the for "$100k people" is the douchiest thing I've ever heard.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Medved had a segment today about pay inequity between men and women. A couple women called in giving their own personal experience with it and they went more or less like this:

:j: - "I sell and install auto glass and I get paid less than my male counterparts even though I do the same job and have better sales relations than them."
:v: - "Are you sure you get paid less? Are you also sure you do as good a job as they do?"
:j: - "Yes."
:v: - "Well okay, I hope a lawyer is listening and they take your case because it sounds like an easy win!"
*commercial break*
:v: - "I don't wanna sound cruel or anything but you can tell just by listening to her that she's probably stupid and isn't as good at her job as the men she works with."

:j: - "I'm a civil engineer. My female colleagues and myself make way, way less than the men do for the same job. HR doesn't do poo poo about it and the ones who push the hardest get laid off."
:v: - "That's horrible, have you considered suing the company from the outside?"
:j: - "If we did we would be blackballed from the entire industry."
:v: - "Well this new fair pay legislation wouldn't help you there."
:j: - "I know, I just wish conservatives would at least acknowledge this as a problem."
:v: - "It's the same thing as racism, yeah it still exists but there's nothing the government can do to help. TIME FOR COMMERCIALS."

His closing argument was that if employers had to pay women the same as men it would kill job creation because that's money they could use to hire new people.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Republicans posted:

His closing argument was that if employers had to pay women the same as men it would kill job creation because that's money they could use to hire new people.

How much is he paid and how many jobs could that have created?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Republicans posted:

Medved had a segment today about pay inequity between men and women. A couple women called in giving their own personal experience with it and they went more or less like this:

:j: - "I sell and install auto glass and I get paid less than my male counterparts even though I do the same job and have better sales relations than them."
:v: - "Are you sure you get paid less? Are you also sure you do as good a job as they do?"
:v: - "Well okay, I hope a lawyer is listening and they take your case because it sounds like an easy win!"
*commercial break*
:v: - "I don't wanna sound cruel or anything but you can tell just by listening to her that she's probably stupid and isn't as good at her job as the men she works with."

:j: - "I'm a civil engineer. My female colleagues and myself make way, way less than the men do for the same job. HR doesn't do poo poo about it and the ones who push the hardest get laid off."
:v: - "That's horrible, have you considered suing the company from the outside?"
:j: - "I know, I just wish conservatives would at least acknowledge this as a problem."
:v: - "It's the same thing as racism, yeah it still exists but there's nothing the government can do to help. TIME FOR COMMERCIALS."

I didn't think I could read something that would immediately make me go from "who's that person?" to "wow, this guy has no redeeming qualities at all" in a few lines in a conversation, yet here we are.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Republicans posted:

If you really want a corporate shill go listen to Bill Maher's (lol) episode from last week online. The audio is online and its free on itunes. I forget who he had but he basically made the 1% seem like angry volcano gods that need constant sacrifice or else they'll pull all of their jobs. They went into one part about how people in corporations should be prosecuted for crimes that happen directly because of decisions they make (I think they were talking about charging the people who knowingly put faulty parts in to GM cars with murder) and the dude started yelling about how "IF YOU CHARGE PEOPLE IN CORPORATIONS WITH CRIMES THE SMARTEST PEOPLE WILL NEVER GET INTO CORPORATIONS" :argh:.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Republicans posted:

The last few years of, "You can't stop employers from abusing employees! That would damage the economy!" have pushed me harder to the economic left than anything else.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Zeroisanumber posted:

The last few years of, "You can't stop employers from abusing employees! That would damage the economy!" have pushed me harder to the economic left than anything else.

Read The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas, and realize that modern conservatives, or at least their leadership, not only would not walk away from Omelas, they'd be trying to figure out how to get a second kid into that basement.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Corporations really are like abusive husbands. These people are like, "Oh, he may hurt you and treat you badly, but you should stay with him because he's a good provider! You wouldn't want him to leave you for some other country, would you? What kind of life would you have then?"

I actually pointed the abusive-husband-logic out to my dad once and he just said, "Well...yes!" Then he went back to talking with my uncle. I was too flabbergasted to press any further. At least my aunt agreed with me; she's a psychologist who works with domestic abuse victims so she understood the analogy perfectly.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 2, 2014

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pohl posted:

I have some new neighbors that I partied with last night. They are both 23 and they are loving ignorant as hell. They have strong opinions, but they have no education or knowledge to make their opinions mean anything.
-I explained the progressive tax system. They were blown away by the idea of how it worked, and now they don't hate taxes as much or something. This happened after I was repeatedly told that higher taxes gently caress over high income earners. We then discussed how poor they were, and why taxes were beneficial to them.

In fact they are I think, Libertarians. They invited me over and fed me some really good food, then we got more beer, and they showed me their bong collection. I just partied most of the night, but I can't not drink and not be an rear end in a top hat. More than once I got completely loving overwhelmed by the racism and bullshit they were spouting.

Oh, the guy has a concealed carry permit. We had a pretty long talk about how he wants to shoot people. I could tell that I was making him uncomfortable, because I wasn't calling him a sick bastard, I was asking him questions that he simply didn't want to answer. He did tell me again and again, how he is ready and happy to shoot someone, however.

They gave me pot and beer and they love me, which cracks me up because I'm a loving Sociologist. Nobody likes us. I was having a hard time deciding whether I should hang out with them again, when I realized that I like free drugs. They also let me talk, a lot. And they seem to be fascinated by what I have to say. I don't think that they have ever in their lives been exposed to a crazy leftist like me. That is when I realized that this could be interesting.

Edit: holy poo poo this sounds like a Hustler or Playboy write in story. Haha.

I can relate to all of this, some of my best friends are drug using quasi-racist libertarians, while I am a dirty hippy liberal. They are utterly fascinated by my world views, and often find that they agree with me. I don't know that this changes their world view per se, I think they just consider me "one of the good ones", but it's fun to see libertarians get behind some very liberal ideas. And I learned something too, you see, I learned that good people can have bad views, and the world is a lot easier to swallow with that kind of attitude, rather than feeling like anyone who disagrees on your stance on healthcare is a mortal enemy. Plus, libertarians are really great at partying, I find their nihilistic world views blend well with drugs and fun :)

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I didn't think I could read something that would immediately make me go from "who's that person?" to "wow, this guy has no redeeming qualities at all" in a few lines in a conversation, yet here we are.

My HR puts out a "get to know a new employee" alert on our home page and once a grown woman was quoted as currently reading Atlas Shrugged (along with some other pretty telling hobbies and interests). It had pretty much the same effect.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

Corporations really are like abusive husbands. These people are like, "Oh, he may hurt you and treat you badly, but you should stay with him because he's a good provider! You wouldn't want him to leave you for some other country, would you? What kind of life would you have then?"

When goon cartoonist Deep Hurting drew this, I thought it was a little over the top, but drat if six years of "We can't put bankers in jail for knowingly laundering billions of dollars in drug money for violent gangsters; that would harm the integrity of the financial system!" along with Newt "Child Labor is the Free-Market Cure for Poverty" Gingrich haven't won me over to his way of thinking.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Republicans posted:

*commercial break*

"New people" = "more men who are paid more than women doing the same job." Can't argue with that logic.

You know what really creates jobs? COMMERCIALS. Commercials made by men.

This post brought to you by Cealis

See right there? I created jobs.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I love this logic.

I'm being paid less for the same work

How about you sue them over it?

Can't, carries bad consequences not covered by law.

Well just don't make a law about it or it'll be easier for people to sue companies.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I love this logic.

I'm being paid less for the same work

How about you sue them over it?

Can't, carries bad consequences not covered by law.

Well just don't make a law about it or it'll be easier for people to sue companies.

To be fair, black listing someone is already illegal in the sense that you're not hiring them because they'll expose the same crime in your company. It's just incredibly hard to prove that that was the reason.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Limbaugh was real mad today about the accusation that Republicans are obsessed with Obamacare. As it turns out they were just minding their own business when Obama decided to throw healthcare reform in their face. Sort of like when two gay men exist in the same universe as a Republican.

Voting to repeal something over forty times? Not an obsession!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Levin just blamed Obama for the ongoing fort hood shootings.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Via TPM

quote:

It seems Glenn Beck is not buying what the Obama administration is selling on Obamacare enrollment.

In a particularly memorable rant on his radio show, during which he derides President Barack Obama as "sociopathic," Beck ripped the "rat bastards" in the media who uncritically reported on Obamacare's 7 million enrollees.

"This is complete bogus. This is a complete bogus fairy tale. This is completely made up. This is nonsensical," Beck said in a clip pulled by Right Wing Watch. “The emperor has no clothes. And everyone in the press, you rat bastards, every single one of you know what he’s saying isn’t true. You know it. You know it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
God bless these manchildren, sure the march of progress would be gratifying without the tantrums and rage but it just wouldn't be so much goddamn fun.