Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

En Fuego posted:

I don't normally buy expensive cards ... but this one was toooooo pretty.

What a cool card, didn't know about it before. Was it part of a cycle? I'm guessing not, since I found the time-shifted Gauntlet of Power that gives the effect to the colour you pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

BizarroAzrael posted:

What a cool card, didn't know about it before. Was it part of a cycle? I'm guessing not, since I found the time-shifted Gauntlet of Power that gives the effect to the colour you pick.

Nope, they just made the red one.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Welcome to old school design. Hey remember that cool thing from our DND campaign? How about this fantasy trope? Toss that poo poo in man! If you ever look at magic through time and see design in a very pulled back view, they used to just make cards. This literally someone said how about a magic glove that makes red better! Then they made mechanical themes for sets like "ok this set will have mechanic X, Y, and Z. They also dabbled with story via cards, like weatherlight was telling a story about the crew etc so the names and card etc were all about the story itself. Now they make, blocks that tie flavor and mechanics together in this way that everything says "this block is about this." like Theros is about gods, hero's and monsters. So the names, flavor, art, mechanics all enhance that statement. The Theros block isn't about a story. There is a story, but its not really what the block is about as much as its in the block if that makes sense. There are new mechanics but Theros isn't about devotion, monstrous, heroic, the mechanics serve the design of Gods, Heroes, and Monsters not the other way around.

I love Maro's podcasts when he gets into stuff like this. They basically said ok this is greek block. enchantments are important. How do we define greek block. He came up with the theme gods, heroes and monsters, and everything flowed from that. They decided things like enchantments are manifestations of gods or god powers, they gave each category a mechanic, and so on.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Welcome to old school design. Hey remember that cool thing from our DND campaign? Toss that poo poo in man!

Basically, this is how Legends was made, to a degree. :v:

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
My favorite example of this is The Dark literally just has Frankenstein's Monster in it. No reason. They just thought it would be cool.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Dear MODO,

What is "Loading Deck Files..." and why do I, a person with less than half a dozen decks, have to sit through 10 minutes of it to time-out a match that I'm reconnecting to? Twice in two days!

Sincerely,
AlsoD

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AlsoD posted:

Dear MODO,

What is "Loading Deck Files..." and why do I, a person with less than half a dozen decks, have to sit through 10 minutes of it to time-out a match that I'm reconnecting to? Twice in two days!

Sincerely,
AlsoD

Dear AlsoD

"Loading Deck Files...." is our personal way of saying gently caress You. You have to sit through it, just like whatever random schlub I decide to crap out on today. Now give me all your tickets or you will never be able to Cube Draft again.

Sincerely,

Modo

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The worst ever Future Sight:

Forget I had lethal, and think of the Daxosing that would have happened!

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Entropic posted:

I wish there was a site that collated price lists from the old rags like Inquest and Scrye back in the day. I'd love to see charts of the price history on cards in Ice Age and Alliances and Homelands when they first came out.

Off the top of my head I remember Balduvian Horde, Jester's Cap, and Autumn willow being >$20 chase rares.

I think Balduvian Horde was when people started finally realizing that a card was worth more than a few life. It was hailed as the new Juzam Djinn until they realized that. Also it was missing the other part of what made Juzam so good, the Dark Ritual that allowed you to play it on turn 1 or 2.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Promoted Pawn posted:

I think Balduvian Horde was when people started finally realizing that a card was worth more than a few life. It was hailed as the new Juzam Djinn until they realized that. Also it was missing the other part of what made Juzam so good, the Dark Ritual that allowed you to play it on turn 1 or 2.

I don't know about that because people were still hyped about Lord of Tresserhorn, which ultimately was only good for decking people slightly faster in the basically unplayable Alliances limited format.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, it's actually going into my Zirilian of the Claw commander deck, along with a Gauntlet of Power & Caged Sun & Extraplanar Lens (REDUNDANCY BUILDS POWER)!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
OK doing another April Fools sealed right meow.

http://www.hitbox.tv/marchhare

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Toshimo posted:

No. Autumn Willow topped out at $10-12. And she saw more tournament play than any of the rest.

I think that was more due to the rule that your deck needed cards from all expansions currently legal in type 1 and she was the last unplayable

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think that was more due to the rule that your deck needed cards from all expansions currently legal in type 1 and she was the last unplayable

She was a 4/4 that your opponent could never target. She was very good back in the day.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That was a thing for like one high profile tournament, it was never a general rule.

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You might be thinking of Serrated Arrows, which was run as creature removal despite that rule but probably satisfied most of the Homelands requirements for a few decks.

edit: ^Yeah I think just the first pro tour used that format

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

AlsoD posted:

Dear MODO,

Sincerely,
AlsoD

AlsoD,

"Loading Deck Files..." means "Initializing Data Mining Process..." It's just our way of using your rig to mine some bitcoins. We hope you don't mind.

Love,
MODO

(:can: :tinfoil:)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Data Mining is a totally different :can: than bitcoins, they're not related at all.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Data Mining is a totally different :can: than bitcoins, they're not related at all.

W-what if it's doing both?! :tinfoil:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

TheCondor posted:

You might be thinking of Serrated Arrows, which was run as creature removal despite that rule but probably satisfied most of the Homelands requirements for a few decks.

I find it funny that Homelands gave us loving Merchant Scroll of all things. It's like, 'here, have a bunch of lovely cards, a few mediocre sideboard cards, and a sweet eternal playable tutor.'

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Duel Decks: Speed vs Cunning announced.

Also: Planeswalkers Guide to Journey Into Nyx

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

:swoon: Terese :swoon:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hoping Kruphix's card is as cool as his art.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
New gods seem pretty awesome.

Can someone clear up a lore point for me? Is Xenagos's ascension actually wreaking havoc with the plane on some fundamental level, or is it more the other gods going :qq: and threatening to take it out on everyone else? In other words, would there actually be a problem if it wasn't for the gods' egos?

The article makes it seem like it's the latter, and it seems fitting insofar as "the gods' egos are the problem" is Greek mythology as all gently caress.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Can someone clear up a lore point for me? Is Xenagos's ascension actually wreaking havoc with the plane on some fundamental level, or is it more the other gods going :qq: and threatening to take it out on everyone else? In other words, would there actually be a problem if it wasn't for the gods' egos?

The article makes it seem like it's the latter, and it seems fitting insofar as "the gods' egos are the problem" is Greek mythology as all gently caress.

It's definitely the latter. The Gods are throwing a shitfit that a Mortal joined their number / that they were tricked by Xenagos. Elspeth is trying to get things back to normal so they settle the gently caress down.

Also interestingly, the end blurb seems to hint at the fact that this Pantheon, much like the Olympians of Greek mythology, aren't the first Gods. We've seen other hints of this with the lore behind the Archons and some of the other monsters that explicitly stated to predate the current pantheon.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

JerryLee posted:

"The gods are assholes" is kind of a plot point. Xenagos is also an rear end in a top hat, but he's not being a hypocrite about it. See: Reckless Revelry's flavour text. I don't think he's fundamentally altering the plane, but he is shifting the power balance in a big way and is a pretty major threat to civilisation as Theros knows it (hence, he's R/G).

If Elspeth wasn't the 'protagonist of the narrative' (inasmuch as she is), there'd be a decent chance he would have been the hero instead - though we probably would have seen the bad side of the gods a lot more if they did that.

Also, Terese Nielsen's art is incredible.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Agreed, this only cements my stance that enemy-color pairs are inherently cooler than ally-color pairs.

Also, new Ajani walker all but confirmed? Though I don't know if there's enough evidence to say he'd be GW for sure.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

That's pretty much exactly what it sounds like, particularly since none of them can apparently cooperate despite the fact that Xenagos is apparently pissing them all off. Another day in Theros, I suppose.

Kruphix is pretty loving kick rear end looking though. However, Athreos is by far the raddest. Whatever he does, I want to find out.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:wcw:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

Agreed, this only cements my stance that enemy-color pairs are inherently cooler than ally-color pairs.

Also, new Ajani walker all but confirmed? Though I don't know if there's enough evidence to say he'd be GW for sure.

I can't speak to the lore of Alara, but I remember hearing another possibility that I hadn't considered; that they may reprint Ajani Vengeant. Seems unlikely since land destruction isn't something they print very often, but it's the only other alternative as I don't think they'd have two mono-white walkers in the same block.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I can't speak to the lore of Alara, but I remember hearing another possibility that I hadn't considered; that they may reprint Ajani Vengeant. Seems unlikely since land destruction isn't something they print very often, but it's the only other alternative as I don't think they'd have two mono-white walkers in the same block.

If new Ajani isn't GW I'm going to quit Magic forever be sad about it and not really do anything of consequence.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Considering the LD is a walker ultimate, I'm pretty sure it's outside the realm of "should we print this" logic. There really is no upper limit on the power of an ultimate, the only concern is getting the loyalty numbers right.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
^^^ Look at Ajani's nice green banners hangin' all over him, he's totally green this time around.

Xenagos ascending to godhood has had actual effects on Theros besides making the gods all uppity:

PW guide to BNG posted:

A Pantheon Disrupted

No longer content to walk the planes of the Multiverse seeking pleasure, Xenagos returned to his home world with an unprecedented ambition: to become the god of revels. In his quest to propel himself to godhood, the satyr Planeswalker began a series of mystical rituals. These rituals had an unanticipated side effect: the blurring of the lines between the realm of the gods and everyday existence. Creatures that used to dwell exclusively in Nyx began appearing in the mortal world. These beings born of the gods' starry domain are known as the "Nyxborn."

The pantheon were ignorant of Xenagos's plan to ascend to godhood, but they recognized that something was amiss. As more Nyxborn beings appeared in the mortal realm, the gods blamed each other for the chaos and, in their anger, sent ferocious Nyxborn creatures against the mortals.

Theros faces a crisis like none before. The gods have turned against humanity. Monsters roam freely even in the cities. The plane is hurtling toward utter destruction. Time is running short!

Basically look at what's happening on Nyxborn Shieldmate - there's a dude from a mural busting out into the mortal world. It makes the world way, way more dangerous when a Kraken from the realm of the gods can just appear in your living room. Hopefully Elspeth and Ajani can tear all the gods back into the mortal realm as punishment for being babies, too.

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Kabanaw posted:

NO GODS NO MASTERS

I am Xenagos, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Akros, 'It belongs to the king.' 'No!' says the man in Meletis, 'It belongs to the gods.' 'No!' says the woman in Setessa, 'It belongs to the children.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... to throw a bitchin' rave and become a god!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'd really like "the bad guy" to win this one. I realize that's not unprecedented, even in fairly recent storyline history, but the apotheosis of Xenagos and his cosmic revolution are loving badass and the gods deserve to be toppled.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'd really like "the bad guy" to win this one. I realize that's not unprecedented, even in fairly recent storyline history, but the apotheosis of Xenagos and his cosmic revolution are loving badass and the gods deserve to be toppled.

I'm usually all for a good god-killing, but in this case it's probably for the better of Theros if they return to the status quo. Right now all the gods are planning on destroying all humans because they're so mad about not being special, so unless Elspeth can stop the god's rampage some other way she needs to drag Xenagos out of Nyx or every mortal being on Theros is done.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I'd actually like to get a third version of Xenagos in Journey. Like Xenagos Dethroned, a creature who's been stripped of both godhood and his spark.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's greek, even if he is meant to be the hero in a manner, it's going to be maximum greek tragedy.

Froghammer posted:

I'd actually like to get a third version of Xenagos in Journey. Like Xenagos Dethroned, a creature who's been stripped of both godhood and his spark.

Something this would be pretty fitting within the world of greek drama.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The nice thing about the theme here is he can both win and lose at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think they reprint walkers outside of core sets because the cards are supposed to represent the character's evolutions

• Locked thread