Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Smashing the front window would by an absolute last resort, it's the thickest and strongest glass on a vehicle even when you crack it the webbing on it is incredibly strong and you would spend longer trying to peel your way through the glass pellets than it would take to force the door which would at most cause some scuffing.

If you did need to smash a window the ones on the doors are much easier to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rondette posted:

When I worked car rental some customers returning a car managed to lock all the doors of the car, and proceed to lock the car keys in the boot while the engine was running. Since they had not returned the keys to us they were at fault, even though the car was sitting right outside. That was a fun argument to have.

So depending on the car, you could potentially lock a baby inside. This one was like a brand new Vauxhall Vectra or Ford Mondeo IIRC.
Obviously not really your problem, but did the company not have spare keys to all the cars? Or is this one of those rental places with multiple outlets where you can turn the car in to any of them?

vxskud posted:

Smashing the front window would by an absolute last resort, it's the thickest and strongest glass on a vehicle even when you crack it the webbing on it is incredibly strong and you would spend longer trying to peel your way through the glass pellets than it would take to force the door which would at most cause some scuffing.

If you did need to smash a window the ones on the doors are much easier to get through.
I think the idea is they smashed the windscreen out of spite.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

evobatman posted:

You can't lock a baby in [Expensive Brand] [newest model sedan] no matter how much you try. You would use the remote to lock and unlock it, not the lockpin in the door. Even if you leave the remote in the car, use the lockpin and then slam the door, [Expensive Brand] [newest model sedan] will sense the key inside and open the doorlock. Even most [Inexpensive Brand] [80s Shitbox] will mechanically pop up the door lock if you close the drivers door without holding the door handle open to make sure it doesn't get locked by accident.

So basically the lady would have to leave her baby in the car, FORGET SHE HAD A BABY IN THE CAR, lock the car with the remote, lose her remote while she was doing whatever she was doing, remember she had a baby in the car and forget about the remote.

I spent far too much effort on this post for something that never happened.

I don't own [Expensive Brand] [newest model sedan] but I did have an interesting thing happen to me after work.

I attempted to open my car with the remote. Nothing happened. Opened it with the key itself, tried to turn the ignition on. Nothing happened. Opened the hood, left the keys in the ignition, closed the door and looked at my battery. The Negative terminal was loose and I tapped it, forcing the car to lock all the doors and my keys in the ignition.
:negative:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Obviously not really your problem, but did the company not have spare keys to all the cars? Or is this one of those rental places with multiple outlets where you can turn the car in to any of them?

A large multinational company. No branch had spare keys, as yes the cars would go all over the country. It would be a total admin nightmare otherwise!! Spare keys were kept at head office so you would have to ring and wait for them to be sent via post.
I think in this case we called out the RAC. I remember having to tell people that they were liable if they had to smash the window to get in...most brand new cars aren't so easy to break in to. We had a lot of people lock the keys in the car.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

I think the idea is they smashed the windscreen out of spite.

Though I've heard the windshield usually costs less than the other windows, since the side ones are always super finnicky fits for that exact model. I imagine it probably depends on the car.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

no_shit_columbo posted:

I don't own [Expensive Brand] [newest model sedan] but I did have an interesting thing happen to me after work.

I attempted to open my car with the remote. Nothing happened. Opened it with the key itself, tried to turn the ignition on. Nothing happened. Opened the hood, left the keys in the ignition, closed the door and looked at my battery. The Negative terminal was loose and I tapped it, forcing the car to lock all the doors and my keys in the ignition.
:negative:

Where was the baby? Did the car break into applause/honk Bohemian Rhapsody at you? Who got married? 1/10 Try better next time.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

quote:

I got this test back from my professor on Tuesday and thought it was cool he did this.

Redrum and Coke has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Mar 31, 2014

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

What a load of poo poo; the Institute of Fake Letter Writing is based in Stirling, not Falkirk!

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

When will people stop this poo poo? Professors and TAs hate grading and we will do anything to just get through it as fast as possible. Dumb drawings don't help make that time go, dumb answers do. Enough with the lovely drawings nothing will ever make me laugh more than someone just writing "I have no idea" on the first midterm I ever graded.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

booshi posted:

When will people stop this poo poo? Professors and TAs hate grading and we will do anything to just get through it as fast as possible. Dumb drawings don't help make that time go, dumb answers do. Enough with the lovely drawings nothing will ever make me laugh more than someone just writing "I have no idea" on the first midterm I ever graded.

This is completely true. One of my students did spectacularly well on our last exam and I wrote a smiley face next to their score, only to immediately regret it because I still had a stack of about 80 exams left to grade. gently caress comments on the student's answer, let alone drawing GWAR. Most of the time I don't even bother with real words, just illegible shorthand.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Perfectly captures the obnoxiously arrant tone of this poo poo.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

booshi posted:

Meh, one time in college on a genetics quiz the question was "who was the father of modern genetics" and I didn't remember the answer, (I still don't) so I wrote in the professors name. He wrote a smiley face and wrote "good answer" but I still didn't get credit. Alternatively I forgot Grace Hopper's name and wrote "That Navy chick" as a response to a quiz question in a Computer Science course I took. That time I got called out and verbally berated in front of the class, But I did receive half credit for the answer, since I obviously knew who it was I just forgot the name. I deserved to be insulted for calling Amazing Grace Hopper just some chick though.

The difference is probably when you go from classes with 100+ students, like chem 101 to 3rd or fourth year classes with 30 students tops. I'll bet the grading of a 400 level course goes a lot differently then a 100 level.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

What a load of poo poo; the Institute of Fake Letter Writing is based in Stirling, not Falkirk!

My aunt lives in Falkirk. :allears: It immediately made me think of her because she lives in an area where the streets have tree-names and I had to wonder if Acacia Avenue was a real place near there (it's not).

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lap-Lem posted:

The difference is probably when you go from classes with 100+ students, like chem 101 to 3rd or fourth year classes with 30 students tops. I'll bet the grading of a 400 level course goes a lot differently then a 100 level.

A the same time, I somehow doubt that 400 level courses are asking who built the pyramids.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Lap-Lem posted:

Alternatively I forgot Grace Hopper's name and wrote "That Navy chick" as a response to a quiz question in a Computer Science course I took. That time I got called out and verbally berated in front of the class, But I did receive half credit for the answer, since I obviously knew who it was I just forgot the name. I deserved to be insulted for calling Amazing Grace Hopper just some chick though.

The difference is probably when you go from classes with 100+ students, like chem 101 to 3rd or fourth year classes with 30 students tops. I'll bet the grading of a 400 level course goes a lot differently then a 100 level

Every woman in computer science group would have eaten you alive for that one. Then again, in my experience, they tend to jump on men for a lot of things. It's even more frustrating when you're currently funded through a grant aimed at women in computing but oh no I said "girl" instead of "woman" talking about some undergrad please jump down my throat and ignore that a large part of my research is getting more girls into CS.

Level doesn't matter, we just want to get through the stupid work before we become suicidal. The "I have no idea" on a midterm I graded was a grad-level course. It's everywhere.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

booshi posted:

in my experience, they tend to jump on men for a lot of things. It's even more frustrating when you're currently funded through a grant aimed at women in computing but oh no I said "girl" instead of "woman" talking about some undergrad please jump down my throat and ignore that a large part of my research is getting more girls into CS.
Just shut up

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Nth Doctor posted:

A the same time, I somehow doubt that 400 level courses are asking who built the pyramids.

Right, because they already know it was the aliens.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

booshi posted:

Every woman in computer science group would have eaten you alive for that one. Then again, in my experience, they tend to jump on men for a lot of things. It's even more frustrating when you're currently funded through a grant aimed at women in computing but oh no I said "girl" instead of "woman" talking about some undergrad please jump down my throat and ignore that a large part of my research is getting more girls into CS.

Thank you for contributing poo poo that didn't happen to this thread.

I mean, they probably pointed it out and may have been too harsh about it, but that's a pick your battles wisely problem. I doubt it was bad enough to even be worth remembering after the fact. You really shouldn't be holding anything against them, and stop spreading that story around like it matters.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

The Devil Tesla posted:

Thank you for contributing poo poo that didn't happen to this thread.

I mean, they probably pointed it out and may have been too harsh about it, but that's a pick your battles wisely problem. I doubt it was bad enough to even be worth remembering after the fact. You really shouldn't be holding anything against them, and stop spreading that story around like it matters.

I for one yearn for more tales about shrieking harpy womenfolk who blow everything out of proportion

told by someone who doesn't realize the horrible truth

that they may be the ones doing the proportion-blowing.

Speaking of not-happening poo poo, are the evolving nonsense of a pathological liar considered fair game for this thread? I know we mostly just spit our drinks out about NAR and NAW and whatever, but I had a coworker who would just spin the most convoluted yarns and it took me in retrospect a sadly long piece of time before I realized they were mostly, if not entirely, bullshit.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

sweeperbravo posted:

I had a coworker who would just spin the most convoluted yarns and it took me in retrospect a sadly long piece of time before I realized they were mostly, if not entirely, bullshit.

When I was younger, I had an older kid in school tell me all about his martial arts training in "Chi", and how he could meditate to get super strong and jump hella high and keep rain from falling on him and mystical poo poo like that.

I ate that poo poo up without a second thought. How did we never realize how incredibly stupid we were when we were kids? :sigh:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

Speaking of not-happening poo poo, are the evolving nonsense of a pathological liar considered fair game for this thread? I know we mostly just spit our drinks out about NAR and NAW and whatever, but I had a coworker who would just spin the most convoluted yarns and it took me in retrospect a sadly long piece of time before I realized they were mostly, if not entirely, bullshit.

Sure. Hit us with your best lies.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

booshi posted:

I did once get an A+++ with a gushy paragraph written at the end of one of my papers in college. I was really confused, because I had seriously shat that thing out in a few hours the night before it was due. It was about the test fire of the first hydrogen bomb, and some of the laboratory drama leading up to it, for the English 101-type of class that they make you take as part of Computer Science.

I'm guessing I was the only person in there with a vague ability to write an engaging paper? That seems to be the stereotype about computer people. I doubt the professor wrote little letters to everybody in the class, since she had a real course that she taught in addition to that one.

I still call bullshit on that GWAR exam, though.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

The computer science talk is boring me to tears.

Someone post a story about a crazy women in a supermarket.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

booshi posted:

Actually I have totally drawn poo poo on my undergrads' rough drafts. Mostly it was to illustrate congruent vs. incongruent Stroop stimuli of animal pictures, which actually called for drawings. But once I've gotten to know my students I'll occasionally doodle something relevant, if I'm not grading in a rush.

(I have also written "NAILED IT!!" on a draft very recently, and I've definitely written compliments on very good papers in which I asked if I could use them as an example for future semesters.)

Still think the GWAR thing is probably STDH though.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

quote:

(A friend of mine is deaf, and has conversations with people by reading their lips. The bank teller is a woman wearing a burka which covers her mouth.)

Teller: *begins talking*

Friend: “I’m sorry; I can’t understand you. I’m deaf.”

Teller: *keeps talking*

Friend: *louder* “I can’t understand you without seeing your lips. Can I talk to someone else please?”

Teller: *shouts for manager*

Manager: “My employee tells me you wish not to make contact with her because of her burka. We do not tolerate racism in this bank.”

Friend: “I have nothing against this lady’s choice of religion, it’s just that I need to read her lips. I’m deaf.”

Manager: “This is your final warning! One more racist slur and I am closing your account.”

Friend: *nearly in tears* “Please, I can’t understand her. I’m deaf!”

Manager: “That’s it. Get out of this bank or I’m calling the police.”

(My friend had to run out crying. Amazingly, she was more upset about feeling like she’d insulted someone than how she was treated!)

I like how the teller's *shouts for manager* bit apparently glosses over an entire complex paragraph about Islamophobia and racism. Also that a major bank had never encountered a deaf customer before.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

ibntumart posted:

I like how the teller's *shouts for manager* bit apparently glosses over an entire complex paragraph about Islamophobia and racism. Also that a major bank had never encountered a deaf customer before.

Wait, how did the deaf person know the burka lady was yelling for her manager?
I'd also like to see a bank manager who is that decisive about anything ever.
I can believe anything else, but I will not believe a branch manager came in with authority. No way.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Lap-Lem posted:

Wait, how did the deaf person know the burka lady was yelling for her manager?

The person telling the story is not deaf. Presumably, the storyteller didn't come in to help because they're a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, that's a supposed real one? I can't imagine a bank allowing an employee to wear a burka, seems like it would really really interfere with everything job related.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

big mean giraffe posted:

Wait, that's a supposed real one? I can't imagine a bank allowing an employee to wear a burka, seems like it would really really interfere with everything job related.

That would fall under religious freedom, in many English-speaking countries, it checks out. The absurdity is that it reads like a right wing attempt at "minorities so sensitive"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I've never seen women with veiled faces in the US, much less in a full burqa.

It would have been more believable if the bank teller were wearing a beekeeper suit (Totally Real Bank Manager: "How dare you discriminate against my employee's fear of bees! Get out of my store!")

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Your typical idiot Islamophobe thinks all forms of Islamic head-coverings are called 'burqa' though.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

canyoneer posted:

I've never seen women with veiled faces in the US, much less in a full burqa.

It would have been more believable if the bank teller were wearing a beekeeper suit (Totally Real Bank Manager: "How dare you discriminate against my employee's fear of bees! Get out of my store!")

Then it turns out he was a bee all along.

The friend and the bee get married, and live happily ever after.

:v:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

quote:

Ain’t No Mountain Wry Enough
Fast Food | Melbourne, Australia | Awesome Customers, Food & Drink, Language & Words, Top

Me: “…and a large Dew.”

Customer: “I’m sorry, did you just call me a Jew?”

Customer’s wife: “But honey, you are a Jew.”

Me: “Oh no, sorry. I meant a large Mountain Dew.”

Customer: “Oh really? Really, I’m flattered but I’ve never been to the mountains.”

Me: “Ah, sorry?”

Customer: *comically bangs his fists against his chest* “I am the large mountain Jew!”

Customer’s wife: * to me* “I am so sorry about him. Honestly, I can’t take him anywhere.”

Me: “Really, it’s fine.”

Customer: “The large mountain Jew goes anywhere he wants to!”

This just feels like someone came up with the Mountain Jew part and had to construct a story around it.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

bobjr posted:

This just feels like someone came up with the Mountain Jew part and had to construct a story around it.

Also all the fast food places I know of that carry Pepsi products in Australia (KFC and Oporto are the main one's I can think of), they all do cans or bottles, not cups, so in that situation no-one would even ask for a large anything, they'd ask for a can or bottle.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

ibntumart posted:

Well this one introduced the plot twist of the protagonist running out of the store crying, rather than the villain. I can appreciate the surprise ending.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

bobjr posted:

I admit that "Mountain Jew" made me giggle.

EDIT: How likely is it that a woman wearing a face-covering burqa would be working? Not being sassy, genuinely curious.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Rudager posted:

Also all the fast food places I know of that carry Pepsi products in Australia (KFC and Oporto are the main one's I can think of), they all do cans or bottles, not cups, so in that situation no-one would even ask for a large anything, they'd ask for a can or bottle.

Nah, the ones in food courts often use cups.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Also related to the bank story... “This is your final warning! One more racist slur and I am closing your account.” Can a bank even do that? "Watch your tongue missy! We don't take kindly to your racism 'round here. Take your money and leave!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Nah, the ones in food courts often use cups.

Must be a Melbourne thing, the only place I've ever been able to get Pepsi stuff in a cup was at cinema's.

• Locked thread