Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I've been avoiding you the past week week, because I was waiting for you to clarify.

You've done so.

Barto posted:

And everyone wants to be an independent country (aside from a few oddballs)

You keep insinuating that.

a) saying a thing doesn't make it true
b) demonising your opposition won't actually help.

You are fully undermining the position of a huge number of people, and that's just not cool.
If you can't respect their position, I'm not sure you should be involved in the argument.

Maybe you are to close to the wood, to see the trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

Again, the little bit I read about this student movement was that it was NOT about Taiwan independence and focused on an issue, ie., lack of transparency and not following dem rules. Not against the trade agreement so much as the way it was illegally rushed through the government. Also not partisan. Looks like that's not the case / no longer the case if the de facto student leader is a DPP political science grad student and weenie politician in training. Business as usual in Taiwan.

But again, I don't really care. My friend was in a fit after sending me that video, and I'd love to know if the student leader is a political shill or not.

Not sure why I thought anyone here would know. Well, maybe Moonslayer might.

He can hold multiple opinions simultaneously. He may be an opportunist or a shill for the DPP, but it's also possible his opposition to how the trade agreement was forced through the legislature is genuine.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

url posted:

I've been avoiding you the past week week, because I was waiting for you to clarify.

You've done so.

You keep insinuating that.

a) saying a thing doesn't make it true
b) demonising your opposition won't actually help.

You are fully undermining the position of a huge number of people, and that's just not cool.
If you can't respect their position, I'm not sure you should be involved in the argument.

Maybe you are to close to the wood, to see the trees.

You kinda live in your own fantasy world.
You're illiterate here, what do you know? You haven't said one thing in the entire conversation that didn't scream "Uninformed person."

There isn't a huge number of people who want full union with China. I went to college here, I've worked here for years, I've met at least thousands of people- and only one has ever suggested that position. At the time she said it, the entire room of 20 people was suddenly very uncomfortable- no one loving agrees with this sort of thing. If someone says that openly, even in a city like Taipei, it's a head turning statement that cause giggles more than anger. There are a huge number of people who grudgingly accept that China will probably absorb Taiwan in the future- but there's also a huge number of people who don't want to accept that sort of future, they want the status quo or better. The vast majority of people want independence or the status quo, and even people who are pro-China mostly don't like mainland Chinese people per se (and as the number of mainland Chinese around here has grown, that bias has grown with it. The previous generation might have feared the mainland, but the current generation who works over there or sees them in Taipei generally feels disgust toward them).

The big issue during the protest now isn't pro-China vs. anti-China- everyone would like to be anti-China if they thought it was possible. The older generation that grew up in a fascist education system is resigned to being forced into unification, and the younger generation is fighting back against that feeling of resignation.

But why should I take your opinion seriously? The protesters are getting places and achieving their goals, proving your previous opinions wrong (as it was obvious even at the time you said them that you were). So, this post is for the others reading the thread who need some real information- because you're just poo poo posting out of contrarian ignorance at this point.

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005
A few of the students in the LY had an AMA session earlier today.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/21xsaz/we_are_students_that_have_taken_over_taiwans/

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Yeah, these students are pretty frank that they are a student movement with no ties to the DPP or KMT and have no wish to receive support from either. That leader, though, I don't know. He feels off.

Also, some of their demands are a weeeeeee bit much and smack of cock-eyed optimism/idealism. The insistence the leader has that they are the voice of Taiwanese people is also a weeeeeeee bit "over".

Besides, there's a reason democracy in practice is not full-on literal democracy. Majority Mob rule sucks.

But whatever, I hope they are able to get some accountability and reform going in the Taiwanese political scene.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The movement itself can have no ties even if individual members, even the leader, have previously attended or participated in events run by other political organizations. Given that these are PoliSci students, it would be impossible to expect otherwise.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Yeah, these students are pretty frank that they are a student movement with no ties to the DPP or KMT and have no wish to receive support from either. That leader, though, I don't know. He feels off.

Also, some of their demands are a weeeeeee bit much and smack of cock-eyed optimism/idealism. The insistence the leader has that they are the voice of Taiwanese people is also a weeeeeeee bit "over".

Besides, there's a reason democracy in practice is not full-on literal democracy. Majority Mob rule sucks.

But whatever, I hope they are able to get some accountability and reform going in the Taiwanese political scene.
You should go back to posting about how much better you are than people, because at least that was the funny kind of ignorant.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
http://thediplomat.com/2014/04/say-goodbye-to-peaceful-unification/

A good article regarding the possibilities of unification

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20140402000007&cid=1703

And a very hilarious counter-point.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm not sure they actually know where their headline quote is from.

Also someone send help, my eyes rolled back in my head so hard reading that all I can see is brain.

e: Ahahaha ending by answering a rhetorical question, and after explicitly stating it's a rhetorical question.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 2, 2014

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Hahahahaah that article is simply adorbs, if only it didn't represent what a small percentage of people here actually believe :sigh:

I think that this is my favorite line:

quote:

They have turned the national flag upside down, which is the wrong way round

Thank you for elucidating that fact, I thought the blue part was supposed to be on the bottom...

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

Hahahahaah that article is simply adorbs, if only it didn't represent what a small percentage of people here actually believe :sigh:
The good thing about crochety old men ranting about how Modern Society Has Problems is that time is well on the way to providing a solution for them.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

You should go back to posting about how much better you are than people, because at least that was the funny kind of ignorant.

You just love posting content-less troll bait, don't you? The majority of your posts are off-hand, substance-less quips at whatever is being discussed. I'd love to hear exactly what you found ignorant in the above post, Lord of Insight and Master of Taiwan, TestuoTW. Otherwise, stop with the obvious and unfunny troll bait.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pandemonium posted:

You just love posting content-less troll bait, don't you? The majority of your posts are off-hand, substance-less quips at whatever is being discussed. I'd love to hear exactly what you found ignorant in the above post, Lord of Insight and Master of Taiwan, TestuoTW. Otherwise, stop with the obvious and unfunny troll bait.

:ironicat:

Tell us more.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

I think his point is that you watched the Taiwanese equivalent of someone having once said they were in favor of gun control and actually took it seriously. So the guy was at a Taiwan independence rally once. OK? Your point? The Sunflower Movement is not taking funds or direction from the DPP, unless you think this is some sort of Kennedy-was-getting-orders-from-the-pope scenario.

Conservative news is of course going to go with any angle they can dig up to delegitimize the movement.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

The point is that the original impetus for this protest has ballooned. It is too idealistic at this point. Getting the trade pact repealed is an accomplishable goal that has a huge majority supporting it. I am all for Taiwanese exercising their rights blah blah blah. The government here is poo poo and it's nice to see young people taking a stand blah blah blah. But now that time has dragged on, the students have started making demands along the lines of reviewing the entire government apparatus and potentially sacking it. That's a huge difference, it stinks of partisanship, and it takes them way out on a ledge that Ma cannot get near.

Here's a transcript from part of the leader 林飛帆's speech on the 30th:

quote:

[7:50]
We have four main requests:
The first, return the TiSA.
Second, institutionalize a special law for the oversight of cross-strait
agreements.
What we want is a special law, not an administrative order.
We demand that, to institutionalize the law first, review the pact afterward.
This request has been the same since the day we occupied the parliament
and has never changed!
Any misleading of the public opinion could not separate us, or weaken us.

[8:45]
Third, we request for a citizens’ constitutional conference
because the incumbent government has already lost its fundamental validity of
ruling!
It is only by initiating a constitutional conference by citizens, and
inviting the representatives in politics and society
That we are able to fix the problem, and make new history!

[9:35]
Our fourth request is on the level of the parliament.
We wish that the legislators can stand by the civilians, support the civilians
Why do we need to occupy the parliament?
From the first day, we said it clearly
The representative system and the democracy in present Taiwan politics has
already been destroyed by the overpowering administrative power.

[10:20]
Our present representative democracy has been swallowed by the party's
discipline and the individual’s will.
This system has failed to respond to the people’s opinion.
Because of this, we occupy the parliament.
A parliament that is supposed to belong to everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8CcDzLEXDc

They do have a lot of support, but they are still, two weeks in, an overwhelmingly student movement. Some weekend warriors showing up to protest on a Sunday when they don't have to work does not change that. There is no way a majority government will give in to all of those demands.

Also, what's the population of Taiwan, 25 million+? What about Taipei, 3 million? Of course the number who protested Sunday was awesome to see, but it's a drop in the bucket of Taiwan's overall population. I do not think it is fair to call it the voice of Taiwan. Recently, 100,000ish people went to the streets to protest the death of the Army conscript. That's also sizable. What was the result? Not much.

All's I'm saying is this should have remained a focused protest if it wants a chance to make a change. The Occupy Movement in the States had no focus and achieved little, if anything. You simply cannot overhaul an entire government with a few thousand students sitting in a government building. The power of an entrenched bureaucracy is too strong.

Edit: Formatting

Edit 2: Now I'll patiently wait for one of TetsuoTW's typical "you so stupid durr durr" vacuous responses.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 2, 2014

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm actually with Pandemonium on this one.

EDIT:

Pandemonium posted:

Edit 2: Now I'll patiently wait for one of TetsuoTW's typical "you so stupid durr durr" vacuous responses.

Except for this.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 2, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This reads like an Onion old-man opinion. Beautiful.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

OK.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
While I do think that the goals of the Sunflower Movement are idealistic and probably unobtainable, I don't think they've ballooned that much from where they started. They've refined them and changed the scope, but here are the four goals that they were giving two weeks ago care of hitension's translation.

hitension posted:

1. Request that Wang Jin-pyng verify that KMT legislator Chang Ching-chung's 3/17 declaration that the trade services pact had passed is null and invalid

2. Immediately repeal the black-box trade services agreement

3. Establish supervisory regulations for cross-strait agreements. Before this is legislated, do not negotiate or sign any agreements with China

4. PM Jiang Yi-hua should resign and before 12:00 PM today* President Ma and Senate Leader** Wang should respond [to the above requests]

The government oversight stuff was in there from the very beginning. They've just changed requesting Jiang resign to a full blown constitutional congress. They were never going to get Jiang to resign, so this way they accomplish the same thing (nothing) and condemn the whole government in the process. Their fourth goal seems really nebulous though. Somehow the LY should be separate from party politics?

Anyway, it's been over two weeks and Ma still seems unlikely to actually do anything. I have my doubts that even scrapping the agreement will succeed.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'll try and get onto an actual response later, but for now I just want to say that criticizing the movement for idealism is a bit weird to me in two ways:

1) Of course they're idealistic. Moderates don't take to the streets.
2) Their demands might be idealistic, but at least the more concrete of them are also achievable (in theory). Getting the legislature to set up an official mechanism for the review of cross-strait agreements and relevant legislation? Sounds like a good idea given the situation. Getting Chang's 30-second passing nullified? Probably wishful thinking, but again, totally doable. Their "constitutional conference" is vaguely defined, which is a problem, as is the restriction of it (at least by name) to constitutional matters only, but there is a kind of precedent in the form of the post-Wild Lily Movement "national affairs conference". The problem with this one, though, isn't the idea, it's the setting: the president personally was basically on the protesters' side then.

The others are pretty much just garden-variety "please stop letting special interests interfere with democracy" stuff - that is definitely pie-in-the-sky stuff, admirable as the sentiment might be.

It's actually those more hopeful ones like "stand with the people, not special interests" that I'll be interested to watch should any actual dialogue happen. If the Sunflowers are legitimately interested in dialogue, those will be the kind of things that fall by the wayside first; if they won't even budge on those, to me personally that would indicate that they don't actually want negotiation, just capitulation, and that's never going to work. Although even as it stands I'm not convinced either side is willing to compromise in the slightest.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
In any negotiation both sides ask for way more than they realistically expect to attain. That's how it works.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

One of the news channels had another poll tonight about whether the students should continue occupying the LY or not. Not sure who the station pandered to, blue or green, but the poll showed a majority want the kids to leave now. It was like a 50 / 35 with the remainder abstaining.

The times they are a-changing.

Also, would love to know what the KMTs unreasonable demands are.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Barto posted:

You kinda live in your own fantasy world.
You're illiterate here, what do you know? You haven't said one thing in the entire conversation that didn't scream "Uninformed person."

Honestly, it's exactly this kind of breathtaking arrogance that make your posts look like auto-fellatio.

Barto posted:

There isn't a huge number of people who want full union with China. I went to college here, I've worked here for years, I've met at least thousands of people- and only one has ever suggested that position. At the time she said it, the entire room of 20 people was suddenly very uncomfortable- no one loving agrees with this sort of thing. If someone says that openly, even in a city like Taipei, it's a head turning statement that cause giggles more than anger. There are a huge number of people who grudgingly accept that China will probably absorb Taiwan in the future- but there's also a huge number of people who don't want to accept that sort of future, they want the status quo or better. The vast majority of people want independence or the status quo, and even people who are pro-China mostly don't like mainland Chinese people per se (and as the number of mainland Chinese around here has grown, that bias has grown with it. The previous generation might have feared the mainland, but the current generation who works over there or sees them in Taipei generally feels disgust toward them).

The mental agility in this is quite impressive. First up, and as always claim authority! Just claim it, you don't need anything resembling substance, superficiality is just fine. Next up, toss in some good-old anecdote, back that up with the ever-classy assumptive dismissal. To round it out we have to fall back on another helping of delusion, then when we're in real danger of approaching substance we double-down with some more projected generalization and casual racism.

Bravo! :golfclap:

Barto posted:

The big issue during the protest now isn't pro-China vs. anti-China- everyone would like to be anti-China if they thought it was possible. The older generation that grew up in a fascist education system is resigned to being forced into unification, and the younger generation is fighting back against that feeling of resignation.

This is a horrible use of rhetoric, you ought to be ashamed.

Let's try a horrible excersize in alternate theories.
If this was a US bill....

Barto posted:

But why should I take your opinion seriously? The protesters are getting places and achieving their goals, proving your previous opinions wrong (as it was obvious even at the time you said them that you were). So, this post is for the others reading the thread who need some real information- because you're just poo poo posting out of contrarian ignorance at this point.

Whatever!
You're clearly an over-zealous idiot with an inflated ego. You should start/join a religion, your version of intellectual acuity will be welcome.
Good luck with that.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

url posted:

Honestly, it's exactly this kind of breathtaking arrogance that make your posts look like auto-fellatio.

The mental agility in this is quite impressive. First up, and as always claim authority! Just claim it, you don't need anything resembling substance, superficiality is just fine. Next up, toss in some good-old anecdote, back that up with the ever-classy assumptive dismissal. To round it out we have to fall back on another helping of delusion, then when we're in real danger of approaching substance we double-down with some more projected generalization and casual racism.

Bravo! :golfclap:

This is a horrible use of rhetoric, you ought to be ashamed.

Let's try a horrible excersize in alternate theories.
If this was a US bill....

Whatever!
You're clearly an over-zealous idiot with an inflated ego. You should start/join a religion, your version of intellectual acuity will be welcome.
Good luck with that.

Illiteracy is really a drag, eh?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I hate it when mom and dad fight :(

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Barto posted:

Illiteracy is really a drag, eh?

Again with the self-aggrandizing ego.

:allears:

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

url posted:

Again with the self-aggrandizing ego.

:allears:

I'm busy now admiring myself in the mirror, shush.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Moon Slayer posted:

I hate it when mom and dad fight :(

It's more like my drunk uncle and some guy who lives upstairs.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's more like my drunk uncle and some guy who lives upstairs.

Ye without sin casteth the firsth sthone.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

url posted:

Ye without sin casteth the firsth sthone.

He's already slurring.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'm kinda itching to hit up Sanxia, I wanna say Friday afternoon or Sunday afternoon.
I'm not sure what the Tomb Sweeping thing is doing to my plans though.

If you're available we could catch a beer, not a full on session though, since I need to get back too.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's OK, guys, 20 minutes in MSPaint and I've solved this whole thing!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Should've given Orchid Island just directly to the Philippines. At least they wouldn't treat it as a toxic waste dump.

In unrelated news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yovi51Rqd3Q

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

TVBS had another poll tonight about whether the students should continue occupying the LY or not. Not sure who the station pandered to, blue or green, but the poll showed a majority want the kids to leave now. It was like a 50 / 35 with the remainder abstaining.

The times they are a-changing.

Also, would love to know what the KMTs unreasonable demands are.

Go on, tell us more about what Glenn Wang and Shep Hu told you about how Lin Fei Fang is a secret Muslim Uighur.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Moon Slayer posted:

It's OK, guys, 20 minutes in MSPaint and I've solved this whole thing!

That took you 20 minutes?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

Drawing Taiwan with a mouse might take a while.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Well, there are a lot of little islands to account for.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Go on, tell us more about what Glenn Wang and Shep Hu told you about how Lin Fei Fang is a secret Muslim Uighur.
Hey now, don't you bring Shep Smith into this, he's the only Fox News anchor with the balls to call out Fox News.

Pandemonium posted:

One of the news channels had another poll tonight about whether the students should continue occupying the LY or not. Not sure who the station pandered to, blue or green, but the poll showed a majority want the kids to leave now. It was like a 50 / 35 with the remainder abstaining.
Just for future reference, TVBS is appropriately named. As I mentioned earlier, a few years back TVBS was busted and in some manner censured (I don't remember the specifics) for not only fabricating news, but doing so in direct collusion with Taichung gangsters. There's pro-Green media and pro-Blue media and then there's TVBS.

e: Wait, in Spanish Matlock's quote it says TVBS, in the original post, it doesn't. Well I have no idea what's going on.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Well I have no idea what's going on.

Welcome to the Ma-Jiang government, a car will be here shortly to escort you to your new office at the executive yuan (太陽餅 are complementary)

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

e: Wait, in Spanish Matlock's quote it says TVBS, in the original post, it doesn't. Well I have no idea what's going on.

Yeah, I was just surfing. Wasn't paying attention to which channel it was. Maybe TVBS, maybe not. Of course it makes a big difference, but I was just throwing it out there because my personal view is that this thing is running out of momentum and that poll supported my particular bias. That TVBS assumption is all Spanish Matlock putting words in people's mouths and cognitive bias at play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

that poll supported my particular bias

More TVBS evidence found.