Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Gravity Falls is a good show.

I was spoiled on the finale of How I Met Your Mother, so I was expecting a clusterfuck, but I liked it. I wasn't particularly invested in the overarching plot, but I'm not sure how I would have reacted if I hadn't known how it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adventure Time owns unless you're some kinda dumb dickhead or somethin

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Speaking of great finales, Netflix just added the entire run of Rotisserie Chicken today, so check that out.

The critical darling "Sizzling Bacon" apparently went up too. I was watching stuff on Netflix for a couple hours today and it didn't even occur to me that it was an April Fools thing, I just assumed it was a documentary or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Adventure Time owns unless you're some kinda dumb dickhead or somethin

When does it start to own because season 1 was just... I don't know man like hey I love me some WACKY HUMOR and veiled drug references and poo poo but it was like... eh.

Inside Amy Schumer is really good, you guys.

e: ahahaha God is Paul Giamatti. "Ugh, why did I make so many white girls..."

e2: "Can I just like, blow you?"
"I'm gay."

precision fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 2, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

e: ahahaha God is Paul Giamatti. "Ugh, why did I make so many white girls..."

e2: "Can I just like, blow you?"
"I'm gay."
"Korean and Mexican? No. No, you have to draw the line somewhere. :geno: "

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"Korean and Mexican? No. No, you have to draw the line somewhere. :geno: "

MY TWO SEPARATE BUT EQUAL LIGHTMETERS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's weird because I thought I had this opinion from like years and years ago that Amy Schumer was really, really not funny and I can't believe how wrong I was.

Or maybe she just got better, I guess.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Her show is wayyy funnier than The Jeselnik Offensive, although I find both of them funny in a stand-up environment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

It's weird because I thought I had this opinion from like years and years ago that Amy Schumer was really, really not funny and I can't believe how wrong I was.

Or maybe she just got better, I guess.

Have you considered you got worse?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Or you got better.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
TV viewers/creators need to end this silly obsession with finales. The Seinfeld finale should've just been a regular episode of Seinfeld, for example. Some shows don't need huge elaborate finales!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

When does it start to own because season 1 was just... I don't know man like hey I love me some WACKY HUMOR and veiled drug references and poo poo but it was like... eh.

Season 1 is pretty much the highlight, that's when it's just a wacky candy-colored dungeons and dragon fever dream that kids and adults could both enjoy

by season 3 they retconned everybody to have tragic interconnected backstories and the cute post-apocalyptic background details had been brought front and center because the adult fans love it almost as much as they love underaged lesbians

by season 5 all the talent had jumped ship for their own shows and the Flame Princess crap incinerated just about everything that was originally good about the show in favor of being shameless unfiltered Tumblr fuel

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Season 1 of Adventure Time had like 3 good episodes. Season 2 is where is starts getting good and it's the best it's ever been in season 5.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

precision posted:

I was hesitant to watch the first season because it struck me as relying too much on genital-related humor. Then again, Key & Peele wasn't at the top of its game in its first season, but it's come into its own since then.

Speaking of Comedy Central, what is this show that's debuting tomorrow? Is it some kind of Adult Swim reject show? Anything that has a stupid "It's 4:20" joke will grab my attention because I'm a sucker for that kind of dumb humor, but the commercials make it seem all over the place.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Y-Hat posted:

Speaking of Comedy Central, what is this show that's debuting tomorrow? Is it some kind of Adult Swim reject show?
That's what it looked like to me. It looked like some amalgamation of a bunch of Adult Swim shows but airing on another network that's only airing to fill that timeslot since Broad City is done for the season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's what it looked like to me. It looked like some amalgamation of a bunch of Adult Swim shows but airing on another network that's only airing to fill that timeslot since Broad City is done for the season.
Then I guess it's not just me. South Park aside, animation has never been Comedy Central's selling point, and hardly any of it is (or was) good. The only animated show I can remember liking on CC was Ugly Americans, but that had the advantage of being made by Augenblick, which made Season 1 of Superjail.

I'm still a little sore that they cancelled that but renewed Brickleberry, which is sub-Family Guy garbage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Y-Hat posted:

Then I guess it's not just me. South Park aside, animation has never been Comedy Central's selling point, and hardly any of it is (or was) good. The only animated show I can remember liking on CC was Ugly Americans, but that had the advantage of being made by Augenblick, which made Season 1 of Superjail.

I'm still a little sore that they cancelled that but renewed Brickleberry, which is sub-Family Guy garbage.
I thought Drawn Together had its moments, even though it may not have been consistent throughout its run
v:shobon:v

Oh god, why is Brickleberry coming back? I know Tosh.0 is probably ratings gold for them but I can't imagine the same is true of Tosh's animated show. I've never heard of anyone watching it, and I only saw it a couple times but it was loving terrible every time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

You know how of Science is an idiot? Season 3 is where it starts to get good. I can barely stand seasons 1 and 2.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

You know how of Science is an idiot? Season 3 is where it starts to get good. I can barely stand seasons 1 and 2.

Adding unnecessary depth and angst to a show about a boy and his dog having fun adventures in a magical world does not make it better, it makes it objectively worse. Every episode last season was a boring, pretentious slog and lacking in every element that made Adventure Time appealing in the first place. I know you're still at an age where grim dark poo poo in a children's cartoon is the bees' knees, but take it from me, its not.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha, you're too cute.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I actually can't read the thread for Adventure Time though. It was so bad I had to stop watching the show for a while. Literally everything is symbolism and if you disagree because, "Hey, making the funny robot trans would be a really stupid way of exploring that," or, "Yo, shut the gently caress up about penises," you're just called out for not accepting that cartoons can be deep and mature. :smug:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Symbology fetishism is such a lovely way to consume media.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MrAristocrates posted:

I actually can't read the thread for Adventure Time though. It was so bad I had to stop watching the show for a while. Literally everything is symbolism and if you disagree because, "Hey, making the funny robot trans would be a really stupid way of exploring that," or, "Yo, shut the gently caress up about penises," you're just called out for not accepting that cartoons can be deep and mature. :smug:
It feels like threads for specific shows have gotten worse and worse lately. No one can just enjoy a show anymore, it has to descend into endless derails and slapfights. Always Sunny, P&R, and B99 are the only three I can bring myself to read these days with P&R already clearly on a downward spiral and B99 lapsing into Star Trek fanfiction.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Person of Interest is still a decent thread, but the majority of the shows I watch I refuse to read the threads now. Too much crap.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Person of Interest is still a decent thread, but the majority of the shows I watch I refuse to read the threads now. Too much crap.

Pretty much. Back in the day I used to read threads for every show I watched and post during shows frequently. Now most threads are just dedicated to nitpicking every tiny detail about a show and dick measuring contests over who can think up the most reasons to hate a specific show and that just makes it not fun anymore. I watch tv for fun and entertainment. A lot of the threads now kill that :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

Guide to TV IV Threads, from my experience with things like the Community one

1. Watch show while reading thread, or skim through the live posting stuff afterwards
2. Read immediate comments afterwards to gauge how people feel about the episode, and pick up things maybe you missed
3. Hit the 'X' on the Forum View so it resets your position
4. Ignore thread until 15 minutes before the next episode airs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh god, why is Brickleberry coming back? I know Tosh.0 is probably ratings gold for them but I can't imagine the same is true of Tosh's animated show. I've never heard of anyone watching it, and I only saw it a couple times but it was loving terrible every time.

People don't change the channel after Tosh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

AT is pretty much the only specific show thread I read regularly and that is nowhere even near true. And if you actually had to stop watching a show because a thread annoyed you, that's pretty pathetic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Knave of Wonderland fame is being brought on as a series regular in Once Upon a Time, according to Entertainment Weekly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Choose one: popular thread or good thread. You cannot have both.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't read the thread since Blade of Grass, and not for a long time even before that, but I made none of that up.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Knave of Wonderland fame is being brought on as a series regular in Once Upon a Time, according to Entertainment Weekly.
He's been the best character on the show, so this is good news to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you're curious about how the HBO comedies are shaping up, the AV Club, the one review source we all completely 100% agree with everything they say everytime without fail or equivocation, saw the first five episodes of both Veep and Silicon Valley. Grades are A- and B respectively.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Stating the oft-stated and extremely obvious, but I can't help myself: It's always gotta be extremes, doesn't it? "Hey, this is a fun / interesting cartoon with layers, and I happen to love it!" You never see that sentiment around; motherfuckers just keep trying to play offensive defense when it comes to their shows. Mind you, I'm not saying I'm above it. It's obnoxious to me at times, but I'm sure there have been moments where I've been lovely about shows I like too. If I haven't, those moments may yet come. I'm only human.

(EDITED because I turned right around and started acting lovely after that last paragraph. Go figure. Sorry, everyone!)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Skipping over the last couple of pages of discussion to say that Nathan For You is my favorite comedy find right now. Its spectacular. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to watch an episode or two.

There a thread for the first season?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have memories of Nathan For You being paired with a thread for The Ben Show last season? That show wasn't bad either, it was just unlucky to be paired with Nathan which was ridiculously good.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This website is pretty cool: http://tiii.me/

enter tv shows you've watched and how many seasons you watched them for, it adds the time up, and tells you how long you've spent watching tv.

I stopped entering shows when I realized I was up to 118 days 22 hours 25 minutes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnTlfxZ_nMA
2 minute preview of Fargo with cast and crew interviews. It gives a hint as to the plot.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Amazon just announced AMAZON FIRE TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
God loving drat it. When are companies going to realize that nobody wants to have 12 devices and 40 streaming services in order to watch television?

• Locked thread