Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Tardigrade posted:

I haven't actually seen the movie, so I wouldn't know, but how does it promote "the Theory of Evolution as fact"? How does that even work?

At one point Noah recounts the biblical story of creation and it uses a very pretty CGI sequence to mesh images of animals ultimately evolving into man while he does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently one of the main villains in the movie (who wants to seize the arc so he can survive with his army and take over the world) has all of his lines directly attributable to god in various parts of the bible. So it's safe to say that Noah might not be intended as the affirmation of Christian faith people were expecting.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Little Blackfly posted:

Apparently one of the main villains in the movie (who wants to seize the arc so he can survive with his army and take over the world) has all of his lines directly attributable to god in various parts of the bible. So it's safe to say that Noah might not be intended as the affirmation of Christian faith people were expecting.

Really? This is the closest I've come to wanting to see the movie. This makes it sounds like the greatest troll of its own source text since Starship Troopers.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Its directed by Darren Aronofsky. I haven't seen Noah, but if its anything like Black Swan or Pi expect it to be vaguely explained have a lot of hallucinations to play with the audience's perceptions.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Conservapedia's main page, April 1 2014 posted:

Liberals admit their anti-Christian agenda! April Fools - liberals never admit their agendas.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Haha, that's a good one Andy :)

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Helsing posted:

Really? This is the closest I've come to wanting to see the movie. This makes it sounds like the greatest troll of its own source text since Starship Troopers.

His whole line of logic is that man was created to have dominion over the earth, so there is no sin in his actions--man's great sin in the film is basically using technology to spoil the earth. The main antagonist is also the guy who was the main character in Sexy Beast.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Conservapedia in a nutshell.

"Interesting points, I'll prepare a rebuttal"

"Your points are bullshit"

nsaP fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 2, 2014

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

nsaP posted:

Conservapedia in a nutshell.

"Interesting points, I'll prepare a rebuttal"

"You're points are bullshit"

Hold up, the California UC system was once tuition-free? And they're not anymore principally thanks to Reagan? That son of a bitch.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Hold up, the California UC system was once tuition-free? And they're not anymore principally thanks to Reagan? That son of a bitch.

Republicans loving hate education and think that access to information is a privilege you should have to pay for. Free education, libraries, and books are stuff you have to earn the access to by being born to parents wealthy enough to afford them or working full time to take evening classes. You know, earning your right to develop a skill by enriching somebody else.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

The tea party and social conservatism is brewing in France.[8]

I'm a smidgen concerned that a political group whose entire ideology is wrapped up in opposition to Obama is rising up in a country distinctly lacking in Obama.

quote:

Fresh evidence of Jewish claims to Jerusalem and Israel, in the form of recovered stolen property. Twenty-five-hundred-year-old stolen property. [14]

Let's talk about Native Americans then. :ironicat:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm a smidgen concerned that a political group whose entire ideology is wrapped up in opposition to Obama is rising up in a country distinctly lacking in Obama.

Let's talk about Native Americans then. :ironicat:

That makes sense as Steven Colbert is the first lady.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Scotland driving on the right -- Schalfly falls for an April Fool's joke.

quote:

"No joke"? Really? Lines like "horsemeat in haggis," "conscious uncoupling" and changing the green traffic lights to blue ones should have tipped you off, Schlafly. EddyJ 13:12, 1 April 2014 (EDT)

quote:

Clearly, Mr Schlafly knew it was a joke all along, and was joining in. There is always somebody trying to paint the site admin in a bad light. JamesWS 18:16, 1 April 2014 (EDT)
Clearly.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I don't think Andy needs any help being painted in bad light.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Actually, the more money I make and assets I acquire, the more radically democratic (note: small d) and leftist I become. This trend has obviously tracked perfectly with my age.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

Another possible cause of autism. Hint: it isn't mercury preservatives. They have not been used in childhood vaccines for years. [1]

In one of the few gestures by Conservapedia I unironically appreciate, they're against vaccine hysteria. And it suggests a line to investigate that has correlations but few actual studies to pin down causation.

No, really, I'm confused. I figured it'd be Obama's fault or Benghazi causes autism or something and here's complete sanity out of there for once.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Kind of surprised the abstinence category only has three pages.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Abstinence isn't nearly as interesting as gay sex.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Mind Loving Owl posted:

... wait, why is "Quiverfull" in the abstinence category?

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Parahexavoctal posted:

Because non-abstinence is a subset of abstinence, just look at the words!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Parahexavoctal posted:

Because they abstain from pre-marital sex?

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!
Does anyone have that handy link demolishing Noah's ark, with all the never-ending computations on size, water amounts, food weights, etc, etc? I lost it somewhere and feel it might be relevant if Andy should ever notice that the surely-not-liberal scientists at U of Leicester agrees It Could Really Have Happened (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/noahs-ark-could-have-happened-scientists-say-9234799.html). Of course, they're back at the "two of each kind" and apparently ignoring amounts of food, etc.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Not sure if its any of these, but these articles on Rational wiki cover much of the data:

Bringing the animals to the Ark

Caring for the animals

Plant survival during the global flood
Survival of aquatic species during the global flood
Insects during the global flood

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Parahexavoctal posted:

The religious right advocates abstinence until marriage and then loving all day, ever day and popping out as many babies as possible because the Bible commands it. Which it actually, you know, does. A person getting horny and wanting to gently caress is evidence that God wants them to make babies. I think this is also part of where all of this "legitimate rape" and "spousal rape is OK" crap comes up. The view is that God commands people to get married as young as possible and have as many babies as possible. No exceptions. Marry before you're 20 and start making babies.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The religious right advocates abstinence until marriage and then loving all day, ever day and popping out as many babies as possible because the Bible commands it. Which it actually, you know, does. A person getting horny and wanting to gently caress is evidence that God wants them to make babies. I think this is also part of where all of this "legitimate rape" and "spousal rape is OK" crap comes up. The view is that God commands people to get married as young as possible and have as many babies as possible. No exceptions. Marry before you're 20 and start making babies.

Except for all the places in the New Testament (mainly the epistles) where the message is pretty explicitly "Ideally, you should stay single and celibate, but people get horny, so get married if your libido would be too distracting to manage", with no mention of children whatsoever. Everything to do with having lots of kids is Old Testament, and arguably only relevant to the at-that-time tiny Jewish community, which did need to have lots of kids if it wanted to survive.

So, to summarize, the New Testament views marriage as existing purely for sexual pleasure, not for procreation.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No, the lovely rape stuff comes from the fact that a) Christianity exists in a patriarchal society; b) it has long been used to serve a conservative political agenda, which seeks to maintain the patriarchy; and c) there are a couple clobber texts, particularly in the epistles, that suggest a wife should be subservient to her husband. If a wife is religiously forbidden from saying "no" to her husband about anything, then obviously marital rape is not possible. (e: Or, perhaps, all marital sex in the context of conservative Christianity is rape.)

On a different level, there is a big problem within some strains of Christianity where they can only differentiate ethically between "sin" and "not sin," which is how homosexuality always gets lumped in with rape and child molestation and bestiality. It leads to people with a great difficulty of understanding the concept or importance of consent.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Perfidia posted:

Does anyone have that handy link demolishing Noah's ark, with all the never-ending computations on size, water amounts, food weights, etc, etc? I lost it somewhere and feel it might be relevant if Andy should ever notice that the surely-not-liberal scientists at U of Leicester agrees It Could Really Have Happened (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/noahs-ark-could-have-happened-scientists-say-9234799.html). Of course, they're back at the "two of each kind" and apparently ignoring amounts of food, etc.

Sounds like this one.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

ZeeToo posted:

Sounds like this one.

Yes! thanks! I really liked the never-ending stream of objections but I totally forget where the thread was or its title.

Thanks for these, too; they look interesting as well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What's on the menu?

quote:

Pat Buchanan: Vladimir Putin pushes Christianity as the West pushes decadent Hollywood values. [1]

Ah, yes, their hero worship of Putin. Were they not so practiced in Doublethink I'd wonder how they can do this and still lambast Obama for not putting up some sort of stronger opposition to him.

But Doublethink it's Conservapedia's specialty.

quote:

Are 7.1 million sign-ups (if accurate) for Obamacare really something to cheer about? [2]

Meanwhile, the goalposts shift spectacularly, as if motorized.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Well they keep them on rails for a reason.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Pat Buchanan: Vladimir Putin pushes Christianity as the West pushes decadent Hollywood values. [1]

Filthy Orthodox Christianity, that is. What happened to no icons, conservapedia? For shame :mad:.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Little Blackfly posted:

Filthy Orthodox Christianity, that is. What happened to no icons, conservapedia? For shame :mad:.

Schfly is a Catholic who are kind of a fan of religious iconography.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Goalposts, eh?

http://www.conservapedia.com/Moving_the_goalposts posted:

"Moving the goalposts" is a British expression first popularized in the late 1980s and 1990s and is obscure in America outside of use by evolutionists in debates. It has only 47,900 references on a Google search as of June 30, 2010,[1] over 10% of which show up when searching "moving the goalposts" and "evolution".[2]

It is an expression used as a substitute for giving a direct answer to a question, on the pretense that the questioner is changing his argument.

As evolutionists are incapable of explaining the wonders of Creation, they often resort to this phrase when pressed by creation scientists in debates, as in "now you're moving the goalposts" in response to a question.

and yes, references 1 and 2 both point to a page of Google results.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Parahexavoctal posted:

Goalposts, eh?

"moving the goal posts": 753,000 results
"moving the goalposts": 190,000 results
"moving goal posts": 160,000 results
"moving goalposts": 30,300 results
"move the goal posts": 428,000 results
"move the goalposts": 712,000 results
"shifting the goal posts": 111,000 results
"shifting the goalposts": 153,000 results
"shifting goal posts": 133,000 results
"shifting goalposts": 18,300 results

What an obscure British phrase.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Parahexavoctal posted:

Goalposts, eh?

Lol
Well, it says there's x amount of hits involving the word evolution, thus evolutionists keep moving goalposts...wouldn't happen to be the creationists in arguments about evolution moving goalposts.

Number of hits for creationist goal post = 518,000,000
Guess that means Andy's wrong again

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

SocketWrench posted:

Lol
Well, it says there's x amount of hits involving the word evolution, thus evolutionists keep moving goalposts...wouldn't happen to be the creationists in arguments about evolution moving goalposts.

Lucifer changed the results to make him look bad.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Yaos posted:

you mean *Obama*.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Parahexavoctal posted:

you mean *Obama*.

Same thing, surely.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Yaos posted:

Andy's not the only one who's being targeted by Satan.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/25/5496396/abraham-game-makers-believe-they-are-in-a-fight-with-satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

SocketWrench posted:

Lol

He is not claiming that the usage indicates that evolutionists move the goalpoasts frequently. He is claiming that evolutionists frequently accuse creationists of doing so, and hence this is just a dumb thing that evolutionists say and you should scoff at anyone who accuses you of doing it.

• Locked thread