Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Bass Bottles posted:

It's weird to read people talk about how poorly the N64 and Gamecube did because back then, when I was younger, everyone I knew had them. I didn't read gaming news or anything, but as far as I knew Nintendo was king.

When I was younger and there was stuff coming out for the Gamecube, I still had a subscription to Nintendo Power. Every month they would have a list of the top selling games, and I remember in the months between the big first party releases the top selling Gamecube game was usually some licensed movie garbage. Seeing that Madagascar the Movie the Game or whatever was number one two months running was my big clue that things weren't going so hot for Nintendo. If there were clues like that for the N64 I guess I was too young to notice or care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Complexcalibur posted:

When I was younger and there was stuff coming out for the Gamecube, I still had a subscription to Nintendo Power. Every month they would have a list of the top selling games, and I remember in the months between the big first party releases the top selling Gamecube game was usually some licensed movie garbage. Seeing that Madagascar the Movie the Game or whatever was number one two months running was my big clue that things weren't going so hot for Nintendo. If there were clues like that for the N64 I guess I was too young to notice or care.

During the N64 years they gave Aidyn Chronicles (an RPG so hilariously broken and unfinished that they cut out the ability to revive your extremely limited number of party members due to a glitch and which had a draw distance of about 2 feet in front of your character) a 3 out of 5 and gave it a comparatively gushing review urging you to break out the graph paper and draw out a map of the game's world yourself because it was the only RPG to come out for the N64 in forever. Between that and giving a crummy Disney cart racer on the GBC a huge feature article even my gullible Nintendo fanboy kid self couldn't ignore the fact that there was something wrong in the world of Nintendo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Aidyn Chronicles is definitely up there in the "why was this even released" department. The best part was how the gameworld wasn't even finished. There are parts where trees are floating in mid-air for no reason and so on.

Install Windows posted:

When I found out P.N. 03 really just meant project number 3 because they couldn't even come up with a name for it, it explained the game so well.

I actually love that game, a lot. I took to it because I was really into shmups at the time and the game, despite its looks, is very much like those games like Change Air Blade or Raiden Fighters where it's about your score. The slick graphics and awesome soundtrack were cool too.

It was marketed like a 3D action/DMC type game though which was really stupid of Capcom to do, it plays and controls nothing like that.

For the record though, the rear end jiggling/dance moves thing was a very late addition to the game. She used various laser until like three months before the game went gold. This happened because the entire structure of the game was changed towards the end of development, it actually did control a bit more like Devil May Cry with your main weapon being dual pistols and you had several acrobatic melee attacks, but Shinji Mikami decided it was too similar and wanted the game to be different by having it be focused on defensive gameplay and positioning.

It did work in that there's no way you can succeed in the game by button mashing, like at all at any time. The dance move thing ended up happening because they didn't have time to design a new set of weapons to represent the new types of attacks. The name change was because of that too, they originally were going to call it White Jaguar because it was going to be more focused on her dashing and jumping directly at enemies early in development. The P.N.03 name was actually chose pretty early, not because they couldn't decide but because the game's story is about the main character figuring out how she's the third of three clones, and that her contract was with the first one to kill the second one (referred to as P.N.02 in the game). This was all going to be a thing very early on in development and Mikami picked the title for that reason.

Please understand.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Its also technically the Capcom 4 as one of the titles got canceled.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Its also technically the Capcom 4 as one of the titles got canceled.

Yeah the best part about the Capcom 5 is they just didn't even bother finishing it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I have a lot of trouble believing that they would just change the entire concept for a game a few months before release. But, then again it was the 2000s and it's Capcom.

E3 sure is going to be mighty interesting for Nintendo this year. I mean even if they pull out all the stops and announce 5 billion games (they won't), the only people who'd care already own the drat console.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

I have a lot of trouble believing that they would just change the entire concept for a game a few months before release. But, then again it was the 2000s and it's Capcom.

E3 sure is going to be mighty interesting for Nintendo this year. I mean even if they pull out all the stops and announce 5 billion games (they won't), the only people who'd care already own the drat console.

What if they don't even show up like last time

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

DrPaper posted:

What if they don't even show up like last time

Duh, they'll just put up Directs.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

It's cool, Nintendo Directs are totally the same thing.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Wait so Nintendo has E3 every other month and still isn't doing better?!?!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chasiubao posted:

It's cool, Nintendo Directs are totally the same thing.

Though yes, the information is exactly the same no matter how it's presented, it doesn't look good to not be giving a keynote at the biggest video game conference of the year.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So the WiiU gained sales again in Japan for no particular reason.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

greatn posted:

According to neogaf, it might have something to do with a rise in consumption tax in Japan that took effect on April 1st, so people decided to rush spend now rather than have to spend more after the rise. Pretty much everything but the PS4 had a rise.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro Nut posted:

According to neogaf, it might have something to do with a rise in consumption tax in Japan that took effect on April 1st, so people decided to rush spend now rather than have to spend more after the rise. Pretty much everything but the PS4 had a rise.

The PS4 had a precipitous drop, only sold 10000 more than the WiiU. I wonder why it wouldn't benefit from the same consumer behavior. 3DS LL was also back on top but that one I assume was some random release.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DrPaper posted:

They've done fewer Directs lately since they have nothing to show, so there's that too.

They'll have nothing new to announce in June except Nintendo DS games on Virtual Console.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

DrPaper posted:

People who aren't hardcore gamers seem to hear about E3 at least peripherally through places like Forbes.

You don't know about Nintendo Directs unless you're looking for them.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

greatn posted:

The PS4 had a precipitous drop, only sold 10000 more than the WiiU. I wonder why it wouldn't benefit from the same consumer behavior. 3DS LL was also back on top but that one I assume was some random release.

Could be because of supply. There have to be more Wii Us on shelves than PS4s.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

And people interested in early adopting a PS4 may already have one.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Soul Glo posted:

Could be because of supply. There have to be more Wii Us on shelves than PS4s.

There's been no reported shortage of PS4s in Japan. As long as both are available on shelves in any number the supply isn't an issue.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I love following this thread because of all the whinging and hand-wringing / palpable anxiety that Wii U fans seem to have over the health of their system, and I even sympathize in a Nintendo-of-yore nostalgic way. But that Frostbite tweet was funny and its lame that pissy fanboys would get all up in arms. From the outside looking in, it would seem something like a funny twitter war between the two (Nintendo / Frostbite) would generate interest in both parties.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Hate to take this back to P.N.03 chat, but I'd like to point out that there was so little actual content in the game that they just shoved in a trailer for Viewtiful Joe to fill up the empty disc space and called it a day.

I mean, I guess Nintendo did the same thing with Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin, but LM was a quality title, at least

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Blacktoll posted:

I love following this thread because of all the whinging and hand-wringing / palpable anxiety that Wii U fans seem to have over the health of their system, and I even sympathize in a Nintendo-of-yore nostalgic way. But that Frostbite tweet was funny and its lame that pissy fanboys would get all up in arms. From the outside looking in, it would seem something like a funny twitter war between the two (Nintendo / Frostbite) would generate interest in both parties.

Twitter wars don't really suit Nintendo's family friendly picture, and it's not like Reggie telling EA to gently caress off on twitter is going to win them points with either third parties or gamers thinking Nintendo's games aren't cool.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

You don't think applying a modicum of wit to reply with something funny is a good idea? Who said how they reply would have to be image damning? This isn't Jesus Christ Video Game Company where they have to turn the other cheek.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blacktoll posted:

You don't think applying a modicum of wit to reply with something funny is a good idea? Who said how they reply would have to be image damning? This isn't Jesus Christ Video Game Company where they have to turn the other cheek.

Nintendo's witty reply is still going through approval channels at the HQ in Japan.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's not the 90s and Nintendo/EA aren't direct competitors, so trash-talking each other isn't the tone that either company wants for their brands.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Not, uh, saying that Nintendo ought to talk some poo poo or trash talk but this was clearly just an April 1st ribbing. Its just jokes.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's not the 90s and Nintendo/EA aren't direct competitors, so trash-talking each other isn't the tone that either company wants for their brands.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Weeeeeeaaaaaaaak.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

greatn posted:

+30% sounds significant, +3k units not so much; last week was the 12th consecutive week wherein the PS3 outsold the Wii U.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For gently caress's sake Moore, try growing a pair.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Blacktoll posted:

Not, uh, saying that Nintendo ought to talk some poo poo or trash talk but this was clearly just an April 1st ribbing. Its just jokes.

The Frostbite tweets were trash-talking though. The jokes were "the Wii U doesn't get third party support, is less powerful than the PS4/XBone, Haha!"

There's no way responding to that doesn't escalate into antagonizing EA with tweets like "well, at least we haven't been voted the worst company in America two years in a row". Any other way to respond to that would be equivalent to turning the other cheek, as you said earlier. I really don't see how EA and Nintendo would benefit from the situation.

It's easier to write off the entire thing as an unprofessional twitter account doing dumb poo poo. (it's not like it's the first time it happens on Twitter).

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 2, 2014

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

OK. I see now. Replying to a joke with a joke would undermine Nintendo's image. I'm going to stick with watching this thread rather than participate. Good luck Wii U'ers!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm honestly surprised EA didn't come out and say that the Frostbite twitter account was hacked.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

The Frostbite tweets were trash-talking though. The jokes were "the Wii U doesn't get third party support, is less powerful than the PS4/XBone, Haha!"

There's no way responding to that doesn't escalate into antagonizing EA with tweets like "well, at least we haven't been voted the worst company in America two years in a row". Any other way to respond to that would be equivalent to turning the other cheek, as you said earlier. I really don't see how EA and Nintendo would benefit from the situation.

It's easier to write off the entire thing as an unprofessional twitter account doing dumb poo poo. (it's not like it's the first time it happens on Twitter).

This is a good post. The thing wasn't even a joke it was deliberate bashing, it's best to avoid a fight with a potentially powerful business partner.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Blacktoll posted:

OK. I see now. Replying to a joke with a joke would undermine Nintendo's image. I'm going to stick with watching this thread rather than participate. Good luck Wii U'ers!

You're not missing anything really, we make jokes about Nintendo not being hip with the gaming industry and then every 3 months or so our jokes are validated when Nintendo announces some half thought out idea that only vaguely works. Repeat as needed.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Kirios posted:

I'm honestly surprised EA didn't come out and say that the Frostbite twitter account was hacked.

I'm surprised EA doesn't just say "Okay yeah Nintendo pretty much sucks, gently caress y'all".

Well not surprised, but it would be fun to hear.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 2, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish the console makers had little twitter zings like some NHL teams do, those are the loving best and make everything fun.

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2013/08/16/new-york-rangers-and-espn-engage-in-twitter-war/

quote:

Remember when the San Jose Sharks and ESPN got into that “war” on Twitter?
Just to refresh your memory if you don’t, the official ESPN Twitter account tweeted the Sharks official Twitter account asking if they were going to change their name to the San Jose Sharknados, after the wonderfully terrible Syfy movie. To say the least, the Sharks did not think that was funny and their official twitter account responded to ESPN by saying something along the lines of will you start showing hockey highlights?
Very comical I would say, especially if you are a hockey fan, like myself, and are tired of ESPN’s blatant favoritism towards certain sports and players.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2013/08/16/new-york-rangers-and-espn-engage-in-twitter-war/#aMp75zMhQYHdIV6s.99

In playoffs some teams twitter accounts are great - even players taking joking (and sometimes serious) shots at each other.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's because in sports, the teams all benefit when the fans get revved up by trash-talk. It's in everyone's business interests in that example, but it's not in Nintendo or EA's business interests to do the same.

Things might be cold between Nintendo and EA at the moment, but surely it's pretty obvious why a publisher the size of EA doesn't want to overtly poo poo on any the big three, and vice versa?

Like, the premise/punchline of the tweets was just "Wii U is bad and it would be ridiculous if we developed for it", which is pointlessly combative messaging if you anticipate possibly doing business with Nintendo in the future.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 2, 2014

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The problem is that EA and Nintendo are (supposed to be) business partners, and a company under EA's umbrella just took a mean-spirited shot at 'em. Having spent some time stuck in corporate culture, taking a public cheap shot at a business partner's misfortune doesn't fly HERE, even as a joke on a day dedicated to jokes, forget how NoJ may treat such a thing. Of course they're going to apologize (and probably force the employee who sent the tweet to either apologize as well or find a new line of work) because 'lol April Fools' is a lovely excuse for insulting someone you do business with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
That Frostbite tweet wasn't very funny coming from an official account. It wasn't friendly ribbing, it was just kicking someone when they are down. And besides, tweeting "your console a poo poo" to one manufacturer is bad policy anyways. If Nintendo manages to pull anothe Wii-like success form their arse in a few years, that tweet (or the attitude it reveals) could bite Dice in the rear end.

• Locked thread