Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's fair. I've heard of people doing alright with generic maps but never had it happen personally, which makes me wonder how in tune most people are with their bikes. Most POs back the assumption that everyone is terrible up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I may or may not turn my fuel screws in ~1/2 turn or so until I get nice pops on decel. Not enough to make starting or part throttle cruise weird, but I definitely edge to the lean side cause like to hear those pops.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

That's fair. I've heard of people doing alright with generic maps but never had it happen personally, which makes me wonder how in tune most people are with their bikes. Most POs back the assumption that everyone is terrible up.

A thousand times yes. Twice now I've bought bikes with all the settings turned to the firmest possible position because they're a hard rider who ride hard.

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.
Got the ride out of the garage, lubed the chain, changed the oil, checked my tire pressure, and took it for a ride.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

KozmoNaut posted:

All 4-stroke engines backfire (or crackle and pop) to some degree. How audible it is depends on carbs vs. EFI, cylinder size, exhaust, emissions equipment and a bunch of other factors.

My old bike had a completely free-flowing exhaust (no emissions equipment of any kind), backfired like a mofo, flames shot out of the exhaust when hitting the rev limiter, and it sounded like popcorn when engine braking. The mixture was spot on, exhaust temperatures were dead even across all four pipes, carbs were synced pretty good. Everything was as it should be, but it was still flatulent.

Even my reasonably modern current bike will pop if I rev it and snap the throttle shut, and crackle on deceleration, despite being completely 100% stock with cats etc. intact.

We're not talking little backfires here. The Micron slip-ons pop *some* on decel and do that popcorn thing, but with the stock cans? Nothing, nothing, nothing, BANG, nothing (etc). I assume an occasional backfire is ok, but we're talking predictably regular. Took the bike out for a long ride yesterday night with the slip ons still fitted and I'm getting used to the noise. Probably a bad sign.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I took my bike to the carwash.

$10 and ten minutes later, it was the cleanest it's ever been since I bought it.

After that, I installed a switch for my aux lights.

Weirdly, kill means on and run means off. It was the cheapest handlebar switch on Amazon. I almost bought the one from Eastern Beaver, but when I added it to my cart, it tacked on nearly a thousand dollars worth of shipping. I tried again out of curiosity after I'd ordered the Amazon switch, and shipping was $4.something. Seeing as how it is the cheapest switch on Amazon, I packed it full of axle grease to keep water out. If it dies on me, gently caress it, I'll buy a marginally more expensive switch.

Finally, I installed :rice:CUSTOM GRAFFIX:rice:

I ordered these from a goon a year or so ago, and only just now got around to putting them on anything. The Buell was looking a little naked after I pulled the previous owner's stickers off, and I wanted to make it my own.

Not pictured: I redid the fuse to my power distribution bar, and I reinstalled the pigtail for my heated jacket. I also deeply considered the Stebel horn I've had sitting in the closet for years, but did not do anything with it.

Things I forgot to do today: get gas.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 30, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Safety Dance posted:

Seeing as how it is the cheapest switch on Amazon, I packed it full of axle grease to keep water out. If it dies on me, gently caress it, I'll buy a marginally more expensive switch.

I guess that works, not really sure how nonconductive axle grease is, for the future go down to your auto parts store and get a big tube of this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000AL8VD2?pc_redir=1396037099&robot_redir=1

... or similar, and slather that poo poo all over everything.

I also need to get off my rear end and install a Stebel.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I guess that works, not really sure how nonconductive axle grease is, for the future go down to your auto parts store and get a big tube of this:

Seems to work okay. I wandered over to Ace Hardware looking for dielectric grease, but the one across the street from me didn't have any.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just set up a system with a scottoiler constantly pumping lubricant into your backwards killswitch. Preferably using some system that collects and recycles leaked engine oil.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Replaced my sparkplug on the XR400R. I went ahead and bought the Honda factory tool thing and it made reaching the plug super simple. Old plug looked OK but reeked of gasoline. The thing was coated from my horrible kickstarts I guess.

Bike started on the second kick! :dance:

Also put like 60 miles on the FZR (hah). The bike needs a modern front master cylinder to match the blue dot r6 calipers. I don't like the lovely on/off brake feel.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Realized that my front light doesn't work and that I rode 120 miles yesterday without lights ...

Guess it's time to change the bulb

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
And it's never as simple as burnt out light bulb. Some doodah had to be replaced, and while waiting I had him change the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, and the air filter.

Not bad for a one morning's work

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It is cute how a Harley owner, a member of the self proclaimed group of Real Motorcyclists, goes to a mechanic to change a light bulb. Maybe you should get a ducati or something bro

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

EX250 Type R posted:

It is cute how a Harley owner, a member of the self proclaimed group of Real Motorcyclists, goes to a mechanic to change a light bulb. Maybe you should get a ducati or something bro

I never said i'm a Real Motorcyclist, but I do like Harleys and I ride one :)

When it comes to mechanical stuff i'm a total idiot and prefer to have someone who knows what they are doing do the work (plus I'm a spoiled IT manager who doesn't like to get their hands dirty)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
At least you are honest with yourself

I want to work on my bikes and go riding but uhh

I don't think I get a spring this year

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

EX250 Type R posted:

At least you are honest with yourself

I want to work on my bikes and go riding but uhh

I don't think I get a spring this year

You should move to where i live. 12 month riding season

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I put my battery in my motorcycle. Backwards.

I know where the main fuse is now. :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That happened to my Fiat. Let a lot of smoke out of the alternator.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I had a big list of things to do on both this weekend but decided to have a two day migraine instead. Yay!!
Only managed to lube my chain for this weeks commute. At least my brain has stopped trying to violently exit my skull.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Changed the rear brake pads.

Step 1: remove rear wheel :rolleyes:

At least the brake fluid wasn't dark brown and filthy this time.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Make sure you pump the brakes back up.

I forgot to do this once and it was a bad thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Every time I do anything with brakes, I forget this and it makes for an exciting *oh poo poo!*

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
For extra comedy I did both front and rear brakes. So I head down the street and have NOTHING. I downshifted and engined braked just enough (thank you l-twin) that I was able to get them back just before I hit a major street. It ruined the whole ride because I kept thinking about what could have happened if I didn't stop.

Now I tie a piece of string or put a ziptie on the levers to remind me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dellikose posted:

Make sure you pump the brakes back up.

I always do this to make sure I have a firm brake lever/pedal with no sponginess.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

adary posted:

12 month riding season

rear end in a top hat.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Changed the oil, bleed the brakes, oiled the chain and went for a ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tell me you just had the seat off to take something out/put something back, and not because you got a flat battery.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slavvy posted:

Tell me you just had the seat off to take something out/put something back, and not because you got a flat battery.

My phone was low on battery, so i plugged it into my flat motorcycle battery.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does the 1100 have the hidden cigarette lighter port pointlessly fitted under the tail plastics where you can't reach without disassembly?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Cigarette lighter port?

I don't think I've ever seen those stock on a bike. The goofy BMW power port, but not a straight up cigarette lighter port (whatever the technical name is.)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slavvy posted:

Does the 1100 have the hidden cigarette lighter port pointlessly fitted under the tail plastics where you can't reach without disassembly?

No, but I use the quick disconnect from my battery tender to hookup a cigarette lighter in the battery box.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1200's got one hidden under the tail section from the factory. It makes no sense, but it exists, believe me.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
New tires, new brake pads on rear. I love the feel of new tires.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

1200's got one hidden under the tail section from the factory. It makes no sense, but it exists, believe me.

The Uly has one on the instrument cluster and a second in the under-seat area for some reason. I fully plan to run a MicroUSB cable from there to my top box one of these days.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I fully plan to run a MicroUSB cable from there to my top box one of these days.

Don't worry! I'm sure eventually you'll find the time and money.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

First I have to *get* a microusb cable that I'm not already using. That requires either going to a store or ordering on on Monoprice. Then I have to figure out how I want to get it into the top box. Squeeze the cable in? Drill a hole? What about when I want to detach the top box? Plug the hole? How will this affect the weatherproofness of the top box? It's a logistical nightmare!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

First I have to *get* a microusb cable that I'm not already using. That requires either going to a store or ordering on on Monoprice. Then I have to figure out how I want to get it into the top box. Squeeze the cable in? Drill a hole? What about when I want to detach the top box? Plug the hole? How will this affect the weatherproofness of the top box? It's a logistical nightmare!

Followed by

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cigarette lighter port?

I don't think I've ever seen those stock on a bike. The goofy BMW power port, but not a straight up cigarette lighter port (whatever the technical name is.)

Most new "big" scooters have a proper one in the glove box. I actually keep a lighter from my wife's car in there for emergencies :)

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Put some Techspec Gripster pads on my FZ6. Hanging off good. Falling off bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Drained coolant, flushed with cleaner and refilled with new coolant.